• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Borderlands |OT| More guns than the population of the Netherlands

Snapshot King said:
That playstation review is god damn fail all over. He compares the loot to Too Human. TOO HUMAN? Of all the. He must have never played Diablo =(. Poor kid.

What can you expect from a website that shares the same initials as Phantasy Star Universe?

Snapshot King said:
That playstation review is god damn fail all over. He compares the loot to Too Human. TOO HUMAN? Of all the. He must have never played Diablo =(. Poor kid.

Well, he's speaking to a console audience, and uses console games that people can understand. The point was actually quite well made actually. Diablo isn't the only game with a wide ranging and deep loot system. Did you not play too human ? It was many things, but not bad with the loot, that's for sure.

Shoogoo

Shoogoo said:
Thanks for sharing! Any words on the size of the map? Someone said it was as big as fallout3's map which to me wasn't really huge but not small either.

Sacred's map, that's what I call huge. Actually, it's maybe even too big lol

I hate quoting myself. Anyone? :D

K' Dash

I've been on media black out for this game, regarding co-op if I wanna play with a couple of friends we'll have to make a schedule? cause if I have time to play during certain days and level up faster than them they'll get creamed playing with me later, that's what I can make up from the OP...

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
K' Dash said:
I've been on media black out for this game, regarding co-op if I wanna play with a couple of friends we'll have to make a schedule? cause if I have time to play during certain days and level up faster than them they'll get creamed playing with me later, that's what I can make up from the OP...

lol wut

Stream: http://www.justin.tv/ambiient

But I can't watch no matter how tempting :( Btw these guys may be quite far in the game, they've been seemingly playing nonstop. Fair warning.

K' Dash said:
I think if you join their games, they'll still have all their low level quests to complete (that you prob will have done already) and you can help them with those.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Cool and more importantly where are you getting this stuff and can I join that table.
theMrCravens said:
I think if you join their games, they'll still have all their low level quests to complete (that you prob will have done already) and you can help them with those.

Or he could essentially Plevel them. XP is shared so taking on his level-equal enemies would mean mondo XP for the little guys, even if they didn't contribute much to the actual killing (but where I come from a headshot's a headshot even if it's with a BB gun).

K' Dash

theMrCravens said:

Got it, thanks.

Hawkian said:
Uncool. Might have to remove you from bold, underlined, italicized first place on the coop thread.

Fine.

fmkwba.jpg

If you have that mod, people will read your character as "level 22 Commando".

there's a guy with the game on the gaming subreddit, you can ask him whatever.

Damn you JustinTV.

And damn you more, lack of self-control.

And also damn the snowballing haters after the viral thread - that's all I'll say in order to keep the post pedigree in this thread of some respectable standing.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
It's a video satirizing how hardcore Borderlands is. It's been posting once per page plus since it came out :p

That class mod is... pretty awesome. And commando is a badass title. Wonder what titles are available for Mord.

Probably stuff like level 28 Ornithologist, level 35 Falconer, level 8 Messenger Pigeon.

Level 15 Old Man that Feeds Bread Crumbs to Seagulls At the Pier Because all his Friends are Dead and His Family Won't Visit Him.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
That is so me at level 15.

For Lilith:

Level 26 Only Female on the Entire Surface of Pandora Which is Evidently Less Dangerous than it Sounds

Unfortunately I think I'm going to have to pass on Borderlands for now. Maybe I'll pick it up sometime in the future, but with the way my money situation is right now I think I'm going to have to play it safe.

Do the enemies and environments have much variety? I love the art style, but it seems wasted when every clip, screen I see looks incredibly similar.

Is there much else to this for people who could take or leave loot whoring, and constant stat upgrades?

AI? Story?

I was looking forward to this, but I've been second guessing myself lately.

methodman

Banned
TheFallen said:
You may want to start reading OPs. But yes, it has 2 player split-screen.

Why would I need to read the OP when I got the answer within a minute?

Anyways, thanks guys. :)

Guess I'll be purchasing next paycheck. Woot.

TheFallen

Rustymonke said:
Do the enemies and environments have much variety? I love the art style, but it seems wasted when every clip, screen I see looks incredibly similar.

Is there much else to this for people who could take or leave loot whoring, and constant stat upgrades?

AI? Story?

I was looking forward to this, but I've been second guessing myself lately.
I'm having a hard time telling if this is a joke post, mocking that other thread.

If it isn't, here's your answers: There's dozens of enemy types and the environment is varied enough to keep it from being repetitive. The reason for everything looking similar in the marketing bits and videos released by the public is due in part to Gearbox. Who've chosen to not spoil everything.

If loot whoring doesn't interest you, you may want to stay away. That's very much what will drive you in Borderlands. To get that next gun or artifact. Aside from that, there's solid gun and melee gameplay, strong vehicle combat, lots of quests, and a competitive arena. AI can be clumsy at times, but generally they focus on taking you down with hordes of enemies and high damage attacks. It's not easy by any means.

Can't tell you much about the story, we don't know too much in that dept. You could always try watching some live streams.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Rustymonke, did you play/like Diablo or D2?

Each had fairly interesting quests and a story arc, but ultimately they took a backseat to the loot as an impetus to keep playing, just get that next piece of gear, just make it to one more level so you can equip the crazy weapon you found an hour ago. If that concept doesn't appeal to you at all, Borderlands might be a rent for you- then you can see if the other qualities of the game are enough to draw you in.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I like it, but it's definitely stylized. I can see how it'd be off-putting. If you're on a console I'd suggest a rental to see if it actually affects you in practice or not. Pretty sure some mainstream reviews drop tomorrow.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
ITS TERRIBLE

jk just wanted to see if I could really influence you that easily. Actually everyone who has posted here that actually has played the game has had pretty overwhelmingly positive things to say.

dorkimoe

Hawkian said:
ITS TERRIBLE

jk just wanted to see if I could really influence you that easily. Actually everyone who has posted here that actually has played the game has had pretty overwhelmingly positive things to say.

haha well i woulda waited for someone to actually say why :)

Teknoman

Kinda waiting on PC version reviews for now.

EDIT: Hordes of cool looking enemies + co-op+ tons of weapons usually = a good time all around though.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
It would be dope if the PC version got a few mods. I would love for one that increases the amount of enemies.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
practice02 said:
Why does amazon still list the PC launch as the 20th?

Because Amazon has a low IQ and not because it's actually going to unlock in my Games list on Steam on tuesday. :''''(

ThaiGrocer said:
How many of the live streamers are actually viral marketers, you think? Wondering. No need for an answer.
Considering that the devs openly joined the chat and the only one that was particularly excited was Brandon, who sucked at the game, probably none.

Wizman23

Banned
God's Beard said:
Fine.

fmkwba.jpg

If you have that mod, people will read your character as "level 22 Commando".

there's a guy with the game on the gaming subreddit, you can ask him whatever.

So does this class mod add 7 skill points to your skill tree? For instance if I have 2 skill points in the "Quick Charge" Skill and use this mod does that actually make my Quick Charge skill at its maximum 5 out of 5 points? I'm assuming that is what the +3 means. Sorry I'm kinda new to this type of game, even though I put a shit ton of hours into Too Human.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
ThaiGrocer said:
How many of the live streamers are actually viral marketers, you think? Wondering. No need for an answer.

It kind of depends what you mean.

In a sense all of them are.

But actually none of them are.

Edit: @above, yep you got it, with the caveat that you can't go above 5. So what you'd do is, once you decide to equip that, if it pushes anything over 5, respec and free up the extra points in your skill tree.

mandiller

Does anyone know how this game works for co-op on PC? Does it have dedicated servers or is there matchmaking?

Also, do we know if there will be steamworks integration (such as steam achievements etc?)

If anyone is interested in doing a four pack I'd be happy to jump in.

Top Bottom