• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Borderlands |OT| More guns than the population of the Netherlands

MMaRsu

Eric WK said:
Did you go out of your way to buy the dozen Activision games you have achievements for secondhand too? Or do you only "boycott" the one thing they've gotten right?

Let's not shit up this topic but no I did not, however most of those games I bought before I even knew anything about Activision's shady business. GHWT & GH3 are bought second hand, Prototype was bought new. And I used to buy alot of my games second hand so chances are the majority of those games were bought second hand.

Anywaaaaay

BORDERLANDS! Loot :D. Damn I honestly can't wait.. Paypal clear my order so Gamehubs can ship it!

Shoogoo said:
I can't stop thinking/talking about this game.

The UK strike better not screw my delivery!!

Amazon is telling me my est delivery is the 23rd. With amazon prime :(

My cheapness is so powerful, that I won't run out and buy it on release day because I got a good deal from amazon, but I'm still pissed.

Sephon

I think I've decided on going with the 360-version, so if there's any europeans wanna play together sometime after release, look me up.
Gamertag: Seiphon

I might get it on PC later on too, but it's more soothing playing on the big screen with a wireless controller, especially if there's long playsessions going on. Which I guess there will be.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I've been avoiding the streams like the plague and remain generally uninformed on this game, just planning on jumping in as Lilith and play with 2 other friends and hopefully have a blast.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
God's Beard said:
Ok, it's been confirmed that class mods will not push you over 5 points per skill :-(

Where'd you find this out? Sorry your megasoldier can't be even more unstoppable, dude.

EDIT: And since the "real gamers" vid is getting posted every page, might as well follow through with the gif too:
11t8j6p.gif

Hawkian said:
Where'd you find this out? Sorry your megasoldier can't be even more unstoppable, dude.

I asked a guy on Reddit that's like 25 hours in. Apparently there's artifacts to make the turret's bullets do explosive/fire damage and that sort of thing, so it's cool.

Class mods - Add points to skills
Artifacts - modify properties of class ability

Apparently there's weapon artifacts but I don't really get how those work.

Phthisis

Hawkian said:
Hey snug or Phthisis, if you're reading this and feel like sating my curiosity, I was wondering if you could give a brief line about what sets the different manufacturers apart that you've encountered, what their guns tend to look like and such. I've been pretty curious about this since I heard Randy say Jakobs uses wood in all its stocks.

I honestly haven't really been paying attention to be honest. I have a Lilith game and a Roland game, but I've been playing mostly Roland. The assault rifle variety is pretty good. I've been getting a bunch of different designs and colors. The current one I have is gumetal and looks kind of like a Type 99 machine gun from WWII, only it has a round clip on the side. I'll start paying more attention and see if I can spot some wood grain.

On another note, I'm really loving how the game keeps surprising me. Last night I got to a dungeon that was entirely indoors and suddenly the game went from being an open world adventure shooter to a corridor shooter for a couple hours. Really awesome change of pace and required different strategies for gun use.

jabipun

Eric WK said:
It's been made clear by Microsoft regarding Forza 3/Borderlands that anybody playing a legitimate copy has nothing to worry about. They're only banning people who pirated either game.

And MMaRsu, your thread sucks.

Doesn't MS have a way to determine if the firmware has been changed or the system was hacked when the player goes online?

I remember one of the biggest concerns piraters had was going online LIVE.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Didn't know about the local co-op multiplayer until now.

Will probably buy it. Just got my Platinum on RE5 playing with my brother and we're looking for something with local co-op to play together.

Firestorm

I don't see how Microsoft is differentiating. I don't think they can check to see if the disc drive has been flashed and I've seen tools that make sure the checksum is the same as a retail game.

Firestorm said:
I don't see how Microsoft is differentiating. I don't think they can check to see if the disc drive has been flashed and I've seen tools that make sure the checksum is the same as a retail game.

They can't, that's why they say keep your receipt. Because they'll ban first, then allow you to prove you actually bought it and unban you.

Firestorm

Eric WK said:
Did you go out of your way to buy the dozen Activision games you have achievements for secondhand too? Or do you only "boycott" the one thing they've gotten right?
Who the hell owns a dozen Activision games? Especially when you say there's only one game they've gotten right o_O; I checked my shelf and I only have Marvel Ultimate Alliance ($9.89 from EB, has no cover but I'm pretty sure it was Activision) and Call of Duty 2 (new, Asian version from a Play-Asia sale when I first got my 360).

Kingpen

Phthisis said:
Store near my house had the console versions. 2K shipped it on Thursday to retailers it looks like.

After playing for nearly 6 hours or so, this is easily one of my favorite games so far this year. The gun audio is so good, it makes dropping enemies satisfying as hell.

I'm not buying too many games anymore, but I have some trade fodder and will pick this up for under 20 bucks cause of your audio comment as I want something great for my 5.1 system...

Also doesn't hurt it is a loot whore game as well...

FinKL

God's Beard said:
Ok, it's been confirmed that class mods will not push you over 5 points per skill :-(

So, wouldn't it be advantageous to lvl up more skills to 4? That way you get more +skills to all your other skills.
EX It would be better to have 4 into Phoenix and 1 Point into Slayer than 5 points into Phoenix, because you would get +1 to both Phoenix and Slayer as opposed to nothing in Phoenix :)

Jayge

FinKL said:
So, wouldn't it be advantageous to lvl up more skills to 4? That way you get more +skills (as a whole character)from the class mod?
Ideally, you would have enough money to purchase a respec after you've discovered a class mod worth using, if you really felt it necessary.

Shoogoo

WonkyPanda said:
Does anybody know if your're signed into XBL can guest save progess?

I think it has been confirmed that anyone joining your game will have their progress & side-quests saved.

WonkyPanda said:
Also, if you have a guest can 2 other people still join you?

you mean a guest in split-screen? Nope, split-screen is offline only :(

Artadius

So I just had a chat with a couple of GBX devs.. here's how the level 'scaling' works.

In New Game, there is NO level scaling, its just like Diablo II Normal difficulty in that all mobs have set levels and statistics.

You finish New Game with X level. Upon starting New Game+ the ENTIRE world will scale from your current X level up through 50 but it becomes static at that point.

So, couple of examples to show this:

New Game, mobs outside of Fyrestone around levels 1-4. You finish game at level 30. Before starting New Game+, you return to Fyrestone and mobs are still level 1-4.

New Game+, mobs outside of Fyrestone around levels 29-34. You finish NG+ at level 50. Before starting another new game (no clue if you can start multiple NG+'s) you return to Fyrestone and mobs are still levels 29-34.

So the only 'scaling' that occurs is at the start of NG+ and simply to scale the world depending on your starting level of NG+ through level 50.

It really seems like the best of both worlds (Diablo II's completely static system and complete scaling as other games like Oblivion). Apologies to others (Vercingetorix) who were possibly trying to explain this to me and I just didn't understand what you were trying to say. Scaling to me meant like Oblivion and I might not have been able to understand a different way of doing it.

Jayge said:
Ideally, you would have enough money to purchase a respec after you've discovered a class mod worth using, if you really felt it necessary.

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking, respec your character depending upon the bonuses laid out in your class mods so that if you have a mod giving +3 to a skill you already like and have at 5, respec that particular skill down to 2 so you get the full bonus and put the freed up 3 skill points elsewhere.

Firestorm

I'm assuming those class mods still won't let you use them to move onto the next "level" of skills?

For example, +3 from weapon +2 from you in Lilith's Blackout won't unlock Phaseout?

ezekial45

Banned
Artadius said:
So I just had a chat with a couple of GBX devs.. here's how the level 'scaling' works.

In New Game, there is NO level scaling, its just like Diablo II Normal difficulty in that all mobs have set levels and statistics.

You finish New Game with X level. Upon starting New Game+ the ENTIRE world will scale from your current X level up through 50 but it becomes static at that point.

New Game, mobs outside of Fyrestone around levels 1-4. You finish game at level 30. Before starting New Game+, you return to Fyrestone and mobs are still level 1-4.

New Game+, mobs outside of Fyrestone around levels 29-34. You finish NG+ at level 50. Before starting another new game (no clue if you can start multiple NG+'s) you return to Fyrestone and mobs are still levels 29-34.

So the only 'scaling' that occurs is at the start of NG+ and simply to scale the world depending on your starting level of NG+ through level 50.

It really seems like the best of both worlds (Diablo II's completely static system and complete scaling as other games like Oblivion). Apologies to others (Vercingetorix) who were possibly trying to explain this to me and I just didn't understand what you were trying to say. Scaling to me meant like Oblivion and I might not have been able to understand a different way of doing it.

Thats great to hear. :D

Shoogoo

Artadius said:

Thanks for sharing! Any words on the size of the map? Someone said it was as big as fallout3's map which to me wasn't really huge but not small either.

Sacred's map, that's what I call huge. Actually, it's maybe even too big lol

I have no idea where my crazy hype for this game came from, but fuck I want it soooo bad!!! I followed in on and off since it first got revealed, and got a bit excited when the graphics changed, but now, for some reason, just in the last week or so, it has turned into one of my most wanted titles.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Someone tell me why Amazon isnt doing release date delivery with this? I can get the 360 one for 43$ new with all the promotions i got.

Phthisis

Kingpen said:
I'm not buying too many games anymore, but I have some trade fodder and will pick this up for under 20 bucks cause of your audio comment as I want something great for my 5.1 system...

Also doesn't hurt it is a loot whore game as well...

Dude, we gotta get some co-op going :D

I still need to make a hunter and a Brick.

MMaRsu

Artadius said:

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking, respec your character depending upon the bonuses laid out in your class mods so that if you have a mod giving +3 to a skill you already like and have at 5, respec that particular skill down to 2 so you get the full bonus and put the freed up 3 skill points elsewhere.

Sounds amazing :D

Flib

Picked this up from a local mom & pop on a whim today. I had been really worried with the Idle Thumbs impression and some recent previews, but I'm really loving it. I've played up to level 5. It's pretty much everything I wanted from the game, shooting feels great, world is beautiful and interesting and the gun variations make for some interesting tactics. Haven't unlocked the skill trees yet so I can't really say anything about those. AI doesn't seem nearly as bad as previews would have you believe.

Haven't really found that many guns as drops yet, only about 2. At this point I'm just using a scoped pistol with +accuracy and a basic smg. I'm playing as Lilith but I can't phasewalk yet. Also, very impressed with the framerate and no screen tearing.

Just wish more people had it at this point for co-op goodness, not many people playing it on Live yet.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I wouldn't fret about only having seen two gun drops at level 5, they'd suck epically anyway.

The new game+ mob leveling is veeeery interesting. Seems like it could be toyed with as far as who hosts the game, i.e., whoever was the highest level when they beat their first game ought to host so that the mobs are the highest level for the other players?

Probably won't make that much of a difference.

Phthisis, you can spoiler them if you feel the need, but any areas stand out as good for potential loot runs yet? Actually, might be the kind of thing that only becomes apparent on new game+., metagame style. Sort of felt like that with d2.

TheFallen said:
Sigh. Not even that funny.

I thought it was pretty funny. :/

Phthisis

Hawkian said:
Phthisis, you can spoiler them if you feel the need, but any areas stand out as good for potential loot runs yet? Actually, might be the kind of thing that only becomes apparent on new game+., metagame style. Sort of felt like that with d2.

So far it's been kind of random, actually. A lot of the better guns I'm finding are coming out of chests in the various dungeons as I progress. I can't tell if the better loot scales to your level as you go or if it just so happens that the better loot is in the harder dungeons, which I'm tackling as I level up.

Some of the quest reward guns have been pretty good. The one thing I will say: play this game co-op if you have the choice. You can tackle harder quests with more people and the quest rewards will be far more useful at lower levels. In single-player, it's been a challenge, so I've been a smidge overleveled, and therefore I'm finding better guns than what quests are giving me (with some exceptions).

That playstation review is god damn fail all over. He compares the loot to Too Human. TOO HUMAN? Of all the. He must have never played Diablo =(. Poor kid.

Top Bottom