• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Borderlands |OT| More guns than the population of the Netherlands

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
TurtleSnatcher said:
Well the wasteland dessert, industrial levels, snowy mountains and caves is what I've seen.

You missed (?) interiors of buildings, unless that's what you meant by industrial levels, but I have seen outdoor areas with complex machinery and walkways so that's probably what you meant.

In a couple of the live feeds I have seen some fairly varied indoor areas, and quite-nicely textured ones at that.

And then of course there will be...

jj4lme.jpg

...okay whoa, just realized Jakobs is one of the gun manufacturers in the game. :p

Hawkian said:
You missed (?) interiors of buildings, unless that's what you meant by industrial levels, but I have seen outdoor areas with complex machinery and walkways so that's probably what you meant.

In a couple of the live feeds I have seen some fairly varied indoor areas, and quite-nicely textured ones at that.

And then of course there will be...

jj4lme.jpg

...okay whoa, just realized Jakobs is one of the gun manufacturers in the game. :p
Omfg is that the dlc? That environment looks sick. So excited I'll have this Tuesday morning and be playing alllllll day.

Maybe I'm crazy, but whats the point of the level 50 character spec? I mean, if you max the level out, whats left to do?

Edit: I mean, can you farm guns and give them to other characters or what?

Butane123 said:
Think I'm going to do a hunter like this

Hopefully that might dish out some damage.
Having both Caliber and Gun Crazy seems like a waste of points to me. I'd personally put the points into Deadly (the other Gunslinger first tier). Also it might be an option to take a point or two out of Swift Strike and put it into Swipe, just for the extra stuff which will be handy.

I think I also didn't put any points into Tresspass (Sniper final talent), and put those 5 points in a 3/2 split in the previous tier.

TheFallen

Snapshot King said:
Maybe I'm crazy, but whats the point of the level 50 character spec? I mean, if you max the level out, whats left to do?

Well you can give them to other players, who can in turn give them to your other characters, sure. End game content though is a bit of a mystery. We've got that DLC coming later in the year, and I'm sure Arena will be pretty interesting with max characters. That's not to say you can't continue questing and enjoying the game itself post 50.

Snapshot King said:

Well, do we know that 50 is the hard cap, or do talents just stop there? I can see your point, as I don't think there's any endgame areas that would require you to get up to 50 if it is the cap. But with the DLC, they could certainly add some areas for level 50 people to do more quests, etc.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I think 50 is an actual level cap, but I don't think it's a sure thing that you'd have done all 130 side quests by the time you hit it. You can always keep farming and looking for better loot as well, for that char or your others, plus of course there is dueling and the mysterious arena. I imagine the DLC and especially future DLC will be geared (heh) toward endgame play, though they might raise the level cap as well.

Neverfade

Prodigy (one of the devs) in Brandon505's feed said the way the game was built (something to do with the 4 player aspect??), that levels over 50 weren't possible.

That being said, it wouldn't be the first time a dev said something wasn't possible and then it actually happened.

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
I've been playin this since Friday, I'm really enjoying it :D

It took a while to get use to the loot system and what not but its dope. I like it so.

Rahk

Has the amount of players in arena deathmatch been confirmed? Is it only limited to the four in your game?

If it hasn't been confirmed, can someone with the game check?

Any news on what this games PC system requirements are? Unreal Engine 3 game aside, it's kind of worrying that we still don't have officially released system specs. Steams are out, but they reference ATI cards which aren't even on the market, compared to midrange Nvidia cards.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
My maybe Lilith build for my second char:
http://www.borderlandsthegame.com/skilltree/lilith/#21555555550000000500000

Kind of experimental. She'll daze everything she touches, and be almost like a stealth tank, able to absorb surprising amounts of damage while frequently phasing in and out, and firing extreme bursts with SMG (preferably with corrosive bullets). I really want hit and run, but I think I'll prefer the 25% boost to fire rate with all weapons and 70% damage reduction after coming out of phasewalk is glorious, I can think of a million uses for that.

EDIT: Whoa, just saw High Velocity... this game isn't hitscan?

On Lilith, do we know exactly what Spark does? The description seems very brief and not too informative. From what I can tell it increases the chance of elemental damage from weapons that cause it?

Rahk

Hawkian said:
My maybe Lilith build for my second char:
http://www.borderlandsthegame.com/skilltree/lilith/#21555555550000000500000

Kind of experimental. She'll daze everything she touches, and be almost like a stealth tank, able to absorb surprising amounts of damage while frequently phasing in and out, and firing extreme bursts with SMG (preferably with corrosive bullets). I really want hit and run, but I think I'll prefer the 25% boost to fire rate with all weapons and 70% damage reduction after coming out of phasewalk is glorious, I can think of a million uses for that.

Would having three skills that do the same thing (daze) be really necessary?

Here's a build I'm considering: http://www.borderlandsthegame.com/skilltree/lilith/#21500550000000005055555

+835% melee damage out of phasewalk should hopefully 1 hit kill enemies (if not, it should do some damage), and with Blackout combined with Hard to Get that'll reduce the phasewalk cooldown to 14 seconds. Kill another enemy with guns and it will become 8 seconds. I avoided skills that might keep me from dying as I'll have a medic on my team. I'll swap some around if I need to though.

With that build, Dramatic Entrance alone should be enough to keep groups of enemies stunned due to the wide range.
Orbitcube said:
On Lilith, do we know exactly what Spark does? The description seems very brief and not too informative. From what I can tell it increases the chance of elemental damage from weapons that cause it?
Yeah, that's pretty much what it says.

Rahk said:
It would help as a support-type character. Though I think as a Controller-specced Lilith you probably won't need Striking (melee daze), and could use the 5 points there for some extra damage which I think would be needed with such a utility-based spec.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Absoludacrous said:
Arrr Matey!

No, the street date has been confirmed broken nationwide by many stores. People in this thread have legitimate copies.

I think that dazing enemies with basically any action will be kind of handy- I can sort of phasewalk in and out, spray the dazed enemies dead, then phase away again, without worrying too much about getting hurt in the process.

Well, I'll see how it goes :lol

Firestorm

Rahk said:

Here's a build I'm considering: http://www.borderlandsthegame.com/skilltree/lilith/#21500550000000005055555

+835% melee damage out of phasewalk should hopefully 1 hit kill enemies (if not, it should do some damage), and with Blackout combined with Hard to Get that'll reduce the phasewalk cooldown to 14 seconds. Kill another enemy with guns and it will become 8 seconds. I avoided skills that might keep me from dying as I'll have a medic on my team. I'll swap some around if I need to though.

With that build, Dramatic Entrance alone should be enough to keep groups of enemies stunned due to the wide range.
I'm looking at maybe this build: http://www.borderlandsthegame.com/skilltree/lilith/#21505550000000005505055

http://www.borderlandsthegame.com/skilltree/brick/#31050000055055055005000

This is the spec I have for Brick at the moment. Where should I put the last 5 points? I'm thinking either Liquidate or Revenge.

Although, do we know how long the reload time on Rocket Launchers is? They generally have long reloads so maybe I should take Rapid Reload instead.

EDIT: Also, how's this for a hybrid Support/Medic Roland?
http://www.borderlandsthegame.com/skilltree/roland/#01050000005050550505505
He won't do too much damage by himself but he'll be healing everyone non-stop and making sure they don't run out of ammo. And with Sentry at least the turret will be doing some damage.

EDIT2: I think I'll take some of or all the points out of Revive in my Roland build since it seem s only situationally useful

Rahk

Hawkian said:
I think that dazing enemies with basically any action will be kind of handy- I can sort of phasewalk in and out, spray the dazed enemies dead, then phase away again, without worrying too much about getting hurt in the process.

Well, I'll see how it goes :lol
I agree it would be handy and help out the team, but I think you could probably at least safely swap Striking for something else without much sacrifice. Phaseblast and bullets alone should be enough to keep enemies stunned constantly. Bullets may only be 25%, but you'll be able to get a lot more off in the time you can melee, plus you'll probably avoid more damage.
Firestorm said:
Pretty similar to mine, just with weapon skills sacrificed for health and damage reduction.

I'll probably switch to something similar if I find myself dying often.

Aptos

I'm really liking this game! Very very fun with co-op! There are some crazy hard battles in this game that create some great memories. I've found myself talking with my buddies about a battle that happened 10 minutes ago, just to say, "remember when that happened!? It was crazy!"

However, a lot of things aren't explained in this game, and that is annoying.

What does the 'x#' mean next to the elemental type on a gun's stats? Like there will be the symbol for fire and an x1, x2, or x3, or the symbol for shock and x1, x2, or x3.

With regard to class mods: if the class mod gives you +1 to a skill, do you have to have at least one point in the skill to gain the benefit? Also, if I have 5/5 of said skill, will I gain the benefit of that +1 and have 6/5 said skill, or does it cap at 5/5?

Also I've seen modifiers on items that are very vague; a Hunter class mod had "+3 to item drop." What does that mean? I'm guessing you get more items to drop, but +3 is so non-specific. Does it mean +3 more items per drop?

There are the kind of questions that come up after only completing the first two zones, there really needs to be a guide included with this game, or posted online.

Firestorm

Rahk said:
Pretty similar to mine, just with weapon skills sacrificed for health and damage reduction.

I'll probably switch to something similar if I find myself dying often.
Yeah, I figured I'll mostly Melee and did the build focused on melee + phase walk. I'm thinking with my skillset, phasewalk can be up to 11 seconds, so 7% healing per second = 77% of my HP healed!

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
You made a good point, Rahk, but since Striking is a tier one skill and the bullet daze skill a tier 4, I'll basically stick to my build and then once I have the tier 4 skills unlocked, shift my 5 points from Striking into something else (radiance?)

Edit: Aw Firestorm your av. :p

Here's what will probably be my final Brick spec (I think he'll definitely be my first character):
http://www.borderlandsthegame.com/skilltree/brick/#31000000055055055055005

Decided to drop Endless Rage as Blaster Master seemed like it would benefit me more than that. Went down Blaster instead of Brawler mainly because I don't like the idea of meleeing in Borderlands, and going down explosives seems like it'd generate more threat (I assume the game has some basic threat mechanic) so it'd be good to keep the enemies off the other party members.

For leveling I'll probably go down tank first as you don't actually get rocket launchers until later, don't you? Also, can someone with the game tell me if you can damage yourself with rockets?

EDIT: Hawkian, why not put the Striking points into Slayer? It's tier 1 and more crit damage is always good, especially since headshots = 100% crits. Enforcer is also a nice talent and only tier 2.

Rahk

Firestorm said:
Yeah, I figured I'll mostly Melee and did the build focused on melee + phase walk. I'm thinking with my skillset, phasewalk can be up to 11 seconds, so 7% healing per second = 77% of my HP healed!
That is quite nice. If my medic sucks I might have to invest in that. :D
Hawkian said:
You made a good point, Rahk, but since Striking is a tier one skill and the bullet daze skill a tier 4, I'll basically stick to my build and then once I have the tier 4 skills unlocked, shift my 5 points from Striking into something else (radiance?)
Fair enough. Sounds good.

I've been thinking about radiance myself since I'll probably be spending a lot of time in phasewalk, but I want to see if the damage is any good first. I'm guessing gun skills would do more damage overall though.

Unicorn

I was thinking either to go for Brick or Mordecai as my main character, but after looking through the skill tree for Brick, I don't think I'm that thrilled for rocket guns, so I looked at Roland because I want to use shotguns, but after looking through Lilith I decided for a Corrosive build:

http://www.borderlandsthegame.com/skilltree/lilith/#21055050505505005005000

Thoughts or opinions on how to improve it? Acid Shotguns are what I'm looking forward the most when I play.

Phthisis

Hawkian said:

No.

Aptos said:
What does the 'x#' mean next to the elemental type on a gun's stats? Like there will be the symbol for fire and an x1, x2, or x3, or the symbol for shock and x1, x2, or x3.

Pretty sure that's either the frequency or the effectiveness (or both) of the elemental damage per hit.

With regard to class mods: if the class mod gives you +1 to a skill, do you have to have at least one point in the skill to gain the benefit?

Pretty sure no.

Also, if I have 5/5 of said skill, will I gain the benefit of that +1 and have 6/5 said skill, or does it cap at 5/5?

Caps at 5.

Unicorn

I'm really curious as to how post-launch support is going to be for this game.

Hopefully something closer to GTA4 in terms of DLC rather than the lack-there-of style of Left 4 Dead.

I'm hoping we'll continue getting added content much like Fallout 3, but a lot more added things besides locations and weapons. perhaps an extra branch for the skill tree or one or two more characters down the road.. Hoping they can keep this game interesting for at least 2 years after launch.

I'm curious how they're going to handle DLC on the PC if it's going to be paid for or not.

Personally, I really hope that they release it later, but for free in a patch (similar to Call of Duty used to do). :D

TheFallen

Iced_Eagle said:
I'm curious how they're going to handle DLC on the PC if it's going to be paid for or not.

Personally, I really hope that they release it later, but for free in a patch (similar to Call of Duty used to do). :D
It's been confirmed as $9.99 on PC.

TofuEater

How does split screen work?

If one profile has more than one character, can a Guest use that character and go online to fight as well? Would be cool if you could.

Sephon

TofuEater said:
How does split screen work?

If one profile has more than one character, can a Guest use that character and go online to fight as well? Would be cool if you could.

Dunno but I doubt it since several users can't sign in with the same profile.

HiResDes

I think I'm going to pick this up given all of the positive impressions, was going to wait for APB, but then I realized I could be waiting forever.

Top Bottom