• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Borderlands |OT| More guns than the population of the Netherlands

Wizman23

Banned
Hawkian said:
It kind of depends what you mean.

In a sense all of them are.

But actually none of them are.

Edit: @above, yep you got it, with the caveat that you can't go above 5. So what you'd do is, once you decide to equip that, if it pushes anything over 5, respec and free up the extra points in your skill tree.

That is awesome!! 7 extra skill points is a TON! That class mod is only a level 22 one as well I can't imagine how fuck awesome the higher level class mods will be. I'm assuming we can only use 1 class mod at a time?

Az987

all good things
so does this come out the 20th or the 21st because my best buy ad said in stores tuesday but the commercial i just saw said the 21st.

Hmmmm

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Correct, and it determines your class title as God's Beard revealed. Equipping that one would make you a "Commando" rather than just a soldier.

They're just covering their asses about the date. Many stores have it already. Some are doing midnight openings tomorrow. Only the most obscure of places, I would think, will not have it by Tuesday.

Eric WK

Az987 said:
so does this come out the 20th or the 21st because my best buy ad said in stores tuesday but the commercial i just saw said the 21st.

Hmmmm

Barring something completely ridiculous happening, it will be in stores in your town on Tuesday. Hawkian explained why the commercial said the 21st.

Firestorm

Hawkian said:
It kind of depends what you mean.

In a sense all of them are.

But actually none of them are.

Edit: @above, yep you got it, with the caveat that you can't go above 5. So what you'd do is, once you decide to equip that, if it pushes anything over 5, respec and free up the extra points in your skill tree.
Has anyone seen if that unlocks higher level skills? Asked this earlier but got no reply. So basically, if you have 3 points in Scattershot and the weapon for +2 on Scattershot is equipped, would you then be able to add points in Assault?

Eric WK

Firestorm said:
Has anyone seen if that unlocks higher level skills? Asked this earlier but got no replay. So basically, if you have 3 points in Scattershot and the weapon for +2 on Scattershot is equipped, would you then be able to add points in Assault?

That's an interesting question. I haven't seen anything about it, though.

Artadius

Class mods might still not give you much free room for respec'ing. I'd like someone who's far enough in the game to test this if they have the cash.

For example. You have Five points into Tier 1 skill A and five points into Tier 2 skill B (able to only because you put the five points in the Tier 1 skills).

If you get a class mod that adds +3 to Tier 1 skill A, could you drop Tier 1 skill A to 2 hard points and still put in 5 points into Tier 2 skill B since the class mod is giving you the rest of the Tier 1 points you need to open up Tier 2?

My gut feeling is no, so that will somewhat limit free point reallocation opportunities to being only really useful if you have the other tier's skill free for points or the final skill in the particular tree.

edit: Firestorm just asked the same question heh.

Firestorm

Eric WK said:
That's an interesting question. I haven't seen anything about it, though.
Man, why can't this game give you 51 skill points instead of 46 :( That would be perfect for my build.

Why is it 46 anyway. I thought it was capped at 50. If you start with 1 skill point and earn one for each level, wouldn't it be 50 points?

Eric WK

Firestorm said:
Man, why can't this game give you 51 skill points instead of 46 :( That would be perfect for my build.

Why is it 46 anyway. I thought it was capped at 50. If you start with 1 skill point and earn one for each level, wouldn't it be 50 points?

You don't start earning them until level five.

Firestorm said:

It's like wow, in that you don't start earning skill points until you've already leveled a few times.

Firestorm said:
Has anyone seen if that unlocks higher level skills? Asked this earlier but got no reply. So basically, if you have 3 points in Scattershot and the weapon for +2 on Scattershot is equipped, would you then be able to add points in Assault?

I don't think so. Class mods can actually give you points in tiers you haven't unlocked, but apparently the skills don't activate.

I haven't paid close enough attention to the live streams to know this - is there a visual indication on your screen when an active or passive skill point based effect is occurring? I know in say, wow, you could tell when a passive or active was procing.

Firestorm

Eric WK said:
You don't start earning them until level five.
Ah, I see. I want Hard to Get, Intuition, and Phase Strike for Lilith but it's impossible! I'll have to axe Intuition to keep my phasewalk+melee spam build.

TheFallen

Chairhome said:
Pretty sure I didn't see the answer in the OP, but does anyone know if you can do 4p network play on 2 consoles?
Not entirely sure if this is the answer you're looking for:

Q. How does cooperative play work?
A. Borderlands has drop-in drop-out, 4-player online, 4-player PC LAN, 2-player splitscreen (or 4-player LAN) on 360/PS3. Your character is persistent. Everything you do online is saved for play offline. You'll be able to join friends or have them join you in online co-op games at any time with your persistent characters. You can also allow random strangers to join or join random strangers.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
elrechazao said:
I haven't paid close enough attention to the live streams to know this - is there a visual indication on your screen when an active or passive skill point based effect is occurring? I know in say, wow, you could tell when a passive or active was procing.
Bottom right corner, the yellow/black hexagons you can see in a lot of videos. I think people mentioned they are around 10 seconds.

does anyone know if you can do 4p network play on 2 consoles?
Pretty sure you can only go online with 1 person and the same goes for LAN.

Please correct me if this is not true.
(e.g. need 4 consoles for 4-player LAN)

Chairhome

TheFallen said:
Not entirely sure if this is the answer you're looking for:
Close, but what I'm trying to find out is if I can play with 2 consoles using split screen on both. Most games don't let you, so its probably wishful thinking. Thanks though.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Hazaro said:
Bottom right corner, the yellow/black hexagons you can see in a lot of videos. I think people mentioned they are around 10 seconds.

Awesome, never noticed.

About the class mod buffs, since you can put points in skills you haven't unlocked with a mod, really the only thing keeping you from doing what you want, Firestorm, would be if you don't actually get the effects of the skill because you haven't unlocked it. I imagine some testing should be done on this. :p

Teknoman

Nice on the drop in drop out. Always cool to be able to play by yourself then bam, another person joins. Sorta like Demon Souls.

If PC reviews are good as well as impressions, I might opt in for a 4 pack.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Textures seem quite clean on PS3.

Also, mad props to ThaiGrocer. He launches wordpad through Steam, an activity far too hardcore for my fragile mind.

Mikey Jr.

Ok, so reviews in tomorrow right?

Shit, one day from release and only one fucking review. Shit. Whats taking everyone so long?

Phthisis

Artadius said:
Class mods might still not give you much free room for respec'ing. I'd like someone who's far enough in the game to test this if they have the cash.

For example. You have Five points into Tier 1 skill A and five points into Tier 2 skill B (able to only because you put the five points in the Tier 1 skills).

If you get a class mod that adds +3 to Tier 1 skill A, could you drop Tier 1 skill A to 2 hard points and still put in 5 points into Tier 2 skill B since the class mod is giving you the rest of the Tier 1 points you need to open up Tier 2?

My gut feeling is no, so that will somewhat limit free point reallocation opportunities to being only really useful if you have the other tier's skill free for points or the final skill in the particular tree.

edit: Firestorm just asked the same question heh.

Nope, you can't. Skills don't unlock unless you actually put skill points into them. Class mods don't count as points, they just boost.

Still not sure if they boost skills that aren't unlocked, though. Will test it out later tonight. I've found a couple of awesome class mods that compliment my build nicely. And I'm at a point in the game where vendors are selling class mods, too.

Rahk

Firestorm said:
Ah, I see. I want Hard to Get, Intuition, and Phase Strike for Lilith but it's impossible! I'll have to axe Intuition to keep my phasewalk+melee spam build.
I want the exact same thing! I guess it will be possible later in the game with class mods.

I was thinking I'll start by going down elemental to unlock Intuition as soon as possible for the team exp, then respec to a phasewalk+melee build later. I'm worried it will make the game too easy though, since it will probably level my team up quite a bit faster.

Mikey Jr. said:
Ok, so reviews in tomorrow right?

Shit, one day from release and only one fucking review. Shit. Whats taking everyone so long?
PC Gamer UK gave it 85%.. I think a few other small sites have reviewed it as well.

Mikey Jr.

TurtleSnatcher said:
PC Gamer UK gave it 85%.. I think a few other small sites have reviewed it as well.

Right, sorry, I remember that. Hopped on metacritic and didn't see anything thats why I said that.

Actually, I'm more interested in IGN, Gamespot, and Gametrailers. Thought one of them would have something up by now, especially IGN.

Eric WK

Peronthious said:
BUT WHERE DID THE EXTRA 1% COME FROM

My personal theory is that that particular 1% was to account for the 750,000 guns beyond the oft-quoted 17 million figure.

Mikey Jr. said:
Right, sorry, I remember that. Hopped on metacritic and didn't see anything thats why I said that.

Actually, I'm more interested in IGN, Gamespot, and Gametrailers. Thought one of them would have something up by now, especially IGN.

We've known since last week that IGN's review is going up Monday morning. I would assume the others will go up at or around the same time.

Mikey Jr. said:

IGN said last week it would be up Monday Morning..

teekun

Jonsoncao said:
it is you, IIRC PS3 version renders at a sub HD resolution

Really? Where did you hear that? That's pretty disappointing. Not "I'm not gonna buy this anymore," but disappointing nonetheless.

Alex

Is there just one environment type in this game? Everything I've seen has looked exactly the same. Obviously that's a foolish assumption, but I've looked at so much stuff and have just seen the same wastelands kind of gig.

Firestorm

Mikey Jr. said:

Guess 2K didn't pay them or advertise with them enough for an exclusive review.

Alex said:
Is there just one environment type in this game? Everything I've seen has looked exactly the same. Obviously that's a foolish assumption, but I've looked at so much stuff and have just seen the same wastelands kind of gig.

Well the wasteland dessert, industrial levels, snowy mountains and caves is what I've seen.

Prezhulio

TurtleSnatcher said:
Well the wasteland dessert, industrial levels, snowy mountains and caves is what I've seen.

are the snowy mountains just the slightly whiter terrained areas? i don't really care, from what i've seen it's a cool enough aesthetic for me, just variety isn't the thing really coming through on the live feeds or footage out there.

Alex

TurtleSnatcher said:

Ah, that is great news. I'm a real push over for snowy areas.

Top Bottom