• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Borderlands |OT| More guns than the population of the Netherlands

JudgeN

Lord Phol said:
Has this been confirmed? :/

I haven't seen any post on B3D, shit I haven't even seen any PS3 shots. Hopefully we find out today with the reviews coming out.

Does the PC version have voice chat?

eznark

Banned
The big release this week is Hellgate: Borderlands, a shooter RPG in which you can choose among hundreds of guns with stats that vary by as much as several points.
Oh Tom Chick, you rapscallion.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Pretty positive review indeed, especially for them. Sounds like they kinda suck at driving though :lol

Kotaku said:
where Borderlands excels is in offering a functional four-player cooperative loot-hoarding experience, with gorgeous environments to adventure in and smartly crafted items to collect or covet.

Flib

Hawkian said:
I think that dazing enemies with basically any action will be kind of handy- I can sort of phasewalk in and out, spray the dazed enemies dead, then phase away again, without worrying too much about getting hurt in the process.

This won't quite work (I'm playing as Lilith currently). Most enemies take a ton of bullets to take down and it takes a while for phasewalk to recharge. It works a little better if you use incindiary ammo.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Flib said:
This won't quite work (I'm playing as Lilith currently). Most enemies take a ton of bullets to take down and it takes a while for phasewalk to recharge. It works a little better if you use incindiary ammo.

Ahh thanks for the tip. Just wondering, what level are you? It'd be more of a 30+ strategy because it needs that many skill points to really have any of them be effective.

So is this game really going to be that good, from the looks of it a lot of people are down for launch. It's making me really interested to see how many people are checking this out. I suppose I'll wait a few days and see what people say once they have played.

JambiBum

HenryGale said:
So is this game really going to be that good, from the looks of it a lot of people are down for launch. It's making me really interested to see how many people are checking this out. I suppose I'll wait a few days and see what people say once they have played.

Reviews have all been pretty positive so far. I know a lot of people here are excited for it. Besides that one thread where that dumb viral marketing guy got embarrassed most every thread about it has been pretty great. Go back a few pages and read some of the impressions that have been posted.

Flib

Hawkian said:
Ahh thanks for the tip. Just wondering, what level are you? It'd be more of a 30+ strategy because it needs that many skill points to really have any of them be effective.

I'm only like level 15, but so far phasewalking to me seems to be more of an "oh shit" button recovery mode. I've changed it around to focus on the recovery aspect instead of a sneaky attack kind of thing, mainly because the enemies have started to get significantly more difficult and it's expensive to hoard tons of health packs.

Philthy

Yeah, at this point I would only be worried if I saw a few 60% reviews or something. I think everything for the most part has been 85 or higher, which is good enough to keep me drooling for tomorrows release. That, and, the live streams despite the players being completely terrible at the game, showed off everything I was hoping for.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
Now I can't trust any thread hyping up an individual game without thinking of viral marketing at play. It's like saying Santa Claus isn't real to a 6 year old.

Thanks GAF :(

So I've decided:
Bet On Soldier is for people who want to be efficient in all situations.
Birdman is for long-range damage dealers.
Sideshow Strongman is for people who can't aim or use cover properly.
She-vamp is for people who like to play intentionally gimped characters.

Flib said:
I'm only like level 15, but so far phasewalking to me seems to be more of an "oh shit" button recovery mode. I've changed it around to focus on the recovery aspect instead of a sneaky attack kind of thing, mainly because the enemies have started to get significantly more difficult and it's expensive to hoard tons of health packs.

Yeah that's what i thought when I first saw phasewalk. Everybody was thinking about ways to use it to attack, and the whole time I was thinking what a deathtrap it would be. It seems like it better for positioning and escape than rushing down enemies.

ahoyhoy said:
Now I can't trust any thread hyping up an individual game without thinking of viral marketing at play. It's like saying Santa Claus isn't real to a 6 year old.

Thanks GAF :(

Not just games dude. Here, let me help you out.

roMonster

Tokubetsu

God's Beard said:
So I've decided:

Yeah that's what i thought when I first saw phasewalk. Everybody was thinking about ways to use it to attack, and the whole time I was thinking what a deathtrap it would be. It seems like it better for positioning and escape than rushing down enemies. It's look

ing like you'll pretty much have to go into controller tree a bit to be able to solo.

Not just games dude. Here, let me help you out.

I was thinking that too. I'll probably be playing Lilith first and I didn't expect it to be anywhere near easy.

The Lilith build I'm thinking of going with:
http://www.borderlandsthegame.com/skilltree/lilith/#21550005555000000550500

I'd be working the Controller and Assassin trees first for the defense/increase in damage. I'll put more into Elemental later in game.

EDIT: Mighy swap 5/5 Silent Resolve for 5/5 Slayer.

roMonster said:
I think I'll make Brick first.

IMO it looks as if Brick will be the best for PVP. The majority of skills for the other classes involve getting a boost after killing an enemy. But Brick's tank build has him gaining boosts when he's about to die.

Tank/Blaster build.

Seriously, Brawler sucks.

I hear Brawler is good.. Well the guide and devs say so in the guide but that you would run into issues on boss battles.. They recommend a respec then respec back. They claim its good against just normal mobs though.

roMonster

God's Beard said:
Seriously, Brawler sucks.

Unless he's slower than the others--I don't really see what's not to like.

I was gonna pick soldier but I don't like the idea of turteling around a stationary object.

modeps

Neo Member
TurtleSnatcher said:
When does Evil Avatars hit?

We didn't get a pre-release copy, so we won't be in the initial flood of reviews. I'm looking towards the PC version though, so this first week gives me a bit more of an informed decision on if I should grab it or not.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
IGN's review should be dropping basically any minute. Don't be fool by their review of the zombie flick "Borderland," btw.

modeps

Neo Member
Hawkian said:
IGN's review should be dropping basically any minute. Don't be fool by their review of the zombie flick "Borderland," btw.
Sneaky devils! Good thing I'm just refreshing their 360 reviews list instead. :lol
ThaiGrocer said:
I see the hype train is about ready to crash. But how will it crash!? Dun dun duuun.
The suspense is killing me.

roMonster said:
Unless he's slower than the others--I don't really see what's not to like.
Running around punching things in a game with a bazillion guns doesn't sound like fun to me.

I was gonna pick soldier but I don't like the idea of turteling around a stationary object.

Oh god no. Stick by it when you need health/ammo, otherwise use it as a distraction so you can get to the enemy's weakpoint without having to resort to some matador-style shit. Soldier's specs aren't designed for turtling. He's a run and gunner, with the turret allowing him to flip any situation on his opponents. Use it, but don't rely on it.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
MidnightRider said:
A bunch of dudes on my friends list have been playing this all weekend.

God I wish I had some stores around here that would sell me games early!
A BUNCH? These friends also play a SHITLOAD of games, have a buncha games on their gamercard, most with low gamerscore and always have the latest game?

God's Beard said:
So I've decided:
So you arrived at the conclusion that the Soldier/Warrior/all-around type is the all-around class, the sniper/ranger class is for long distance battles, the Tank/close quarter combat character is for close quarter combat and that the thief/assassin/stealth-using-character is gimped? :lol

You found that out by yourself?

drizzle said:
So you arrived at the conclusion that the Soldier/Warrior/all-around type is the all-around class, the sniper/ranger class is for long distance battles, the Tank/close quarter combat character is for close quarter combat and that the thief/assassin/stealth-using-character is gimped? :lol

You found that out by yourself?

Oh I was just trying to change the wording to insult people not playing soldier.

drizzle said:
A BUNCH? These friends also play a SHITLOAD of games, have a buncha games on their gamercard, most with low gamerscore and always have the latest game?

One of them has been friends with me for a long time.

The other 3 I met when I joined his party to see how he had Borderlands already.

I know his gamerscore is way up there. Hell he had RE5 like 2 weeks before it came out.

He said there is TONS of people online on Boderlands already.

Flib

The game is most definitely out early. Tons of stores in NYC are selling it, when I picked up my copy the store I went to was almost out of them.

roMonster

God's Beard said:
Running around punching things in a game with a bazillion guns doesn't sound like fun to me.

Oh god no. Stick by it when you need health/ammo, otherwise use it as a distraction so you can get to the enemy's weakpoint without having to resort to some matador-style shit. Soldier's specs aren't designed for turtling. He's a run and gunner, with the turret allowing him to flip any situation on his opponents. Use it, but don't rely on it.

Same thing with the brawler. You can use Berserk when enemies get close or need quick regen and the rest time--run and gun with guns/rocket launchers. That's why I put skill points into Tank/Blaster and left Brawler alone.

Jarate

Banned
Is it bad that the only reason i'm picking brick for my first play through is because he reminds me of the Heavy from TF2.

Jonsoncao

Banned
Amneisac said:
Let me ask you, I didn't see a release day shipping option on this, did you just get normal one day shipping?
:D it was some pleasant surprise for me also, since I chose the free 2-day shipping

Lord Phol

As I've gained a bit more knowledge about the games since my last build and I got nothing better to do I reconed I try my hands at the skill tree again :p.

Lilith - 20/10/15
Focusing less on melee damage and more on using phasewalking as an escape mechanism/survival tool and elemental guns for dmg. Think it will work pretty good for PvP as well. Venom would be fun just to mess around with, but couldn't find anything worth sacrificing for it.

Mordecai - 20/0/25
Also made one for Mordecai as I'm not sure which one I'm gonna try first. Pretty straight forward, focusing on doing LOTS of dmg with sniper rifles and handguns. Probably not the best build for PvP but could always move some points if needed. Will be getting som beefy boosts whenever ending an enemy >: D.

I have some serious questions that need answering.
I've looked all over, but I can't find details about the gameplay mechanics.

Is friendly fire on?
How is XP divided?
How is the Money divided?
How many weapons can you carry? / What is the inventory system like?
Can one person operate a vehicle, or do you need two?
Can you have AI allies in co-op?
Are there AI allies in single player?
Can you customize the weapons after obtaining them?
Can you make your own weapons?

Top Bottom