• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Borderlands |OT| More guns than the population of the Netherlands

Red

AHappyPanda said:
Twilight Princess deserved a lower, an 8.5 I'd say.

Bring it.
triumphlsu.jpg

Looking forward to this game more than ever now, reviews are all pointing toward great things. I kind of regret not getting the 360 version because I'll be missing out on achievements, but I hope the Steam community makes up for that.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
I'm not anti-social. :lol

I play a lot of MP games, and right now I just need a game to kick back and kill stuff solo, I'll very likely play co-op too, eventually.

Where's the Steam 4-pack sign up sheet?

K.Jack said:
I'm not anti-social. :lol

I play a lot of MP games, and right now I just need a game to kick back and kill stuff solo, I'll very likely play co-op too, eventually.

Where's the Steam 4-pack sign up sheet?

idk, you should just know that you're missing out on a ton by playing with yourself. :heh:

It's like the difference between masturbation and sex. Jerking it gets the job done, but who would jerk off over having sex?

ckohler

I'm excited for this game but I have a couple of questions I'm not seeing clear-cut answers to:

* Are there "quests" in that you have dialog with NPCs or is it only "missions"?
* Is it a completely go anywhere do anything in any order you want open world?
* When in co-op, can I be on on a different area of the world than my friend is or do I have to stay close by?

eso76

Just played 1,5 hours at a friend's who's trying to make me buy the game for coop. And i was genuinely interested in it, but the test left me perplexed.
I was fascinated by the graphics and concept, but all i did was going to guy x, walk 5 mins towards a blinking point on my compass, kill some guy, go back to guy x, like 6 times. I hope it was just a very long tutorial because the game seemed to start off with good intentions but got very boring real quick. Lack of variety in environments doesn't help. Does it get better ?

drizzle

Axel Hertz
ravien56 said:
No offense but do people actually look in those threads? My logic is if your posting in the official regularly, your playing it more than usual.
Nobody likes an official thread filled with Gamertag lists. This is the thread to discuss the game. The "OMG HERE'S MY GAMERTAG LET'S BE FRIENDS I LOVE THIS GAME LOL WANNA TRADE?" thread is the other one.

drizzle said:
Nobody likes an official thread filled with Gamertag lists. This is the thread to discuss the game. The "OMG HERE'S MY GAMERTAG LET'S BE FRIENDS I LOVE THIS GAME LOL WANNA TRADE?" thread is the other one.
Man the ODST thread was a lot nicer

eznark

Banned
hulot said:
Uncharted, Demon's Souls, and Steam/GOG deals this month. Can my budget afford another game? Help me.
Command me
Last week I preordered Borderlands and Dragon Age. I just got home from GameStop, picked up Demon's Souls and Uncharted 2. If nothing else you have excellent taste!

ashism

eso76 said:
Just played 1,5 hours at a friend's who's trying to make me buy the game for coop. And i was genuinely interested in it, but the test left me perplexed.
I was fascinated by the graphics and concept, but all i did was going to guy x, walk 5 mins towards a blinking point on my compass, kill some guy, go back to guy x, like 6 times. I hope it was just a very long tutorial because the game seemed to start off with good intentions but got very boring real quick. Lack of variety in environments doesn't help. Does it get better ?
Sounds like you are not a fan of shooters in general.
What you described could easily be any first person shooter.

Talk to Keene or Cortana, travel through level, kill dude. Debrief with the girls yet again.

Talk to generic scientist or security guard, kill dude. Listen to Alex fawn over your silent self.

Talk to my father, kill dudes, purify water.

Either way, it's kind of the same thing.

As for enviroments, they do get mixed up. But don't expect to be dropped into new york city, its a wasteland planet after all.

practice02 said:
Honestly, I don't know what to tell you man S.O.L. for now.
My favorite episode is the funeral episode.

yeah, the preload isn't available yet. I thought he meant I could preload it NOW.

My favorite is probably when they went to the opera or whatever and roy pretends to be disabled.

SundaySounds said:
yeah, the preload isn't available yet. I thought he meant I could preload it NOW.

My favorite is probably when they went to the opera or whatever and roy pretends to be disabled.
I just watched that episode last weekend I love at the end with moss "the theatre."

poweld

Unicorn said:
That would be a lot funnier if they canned the canned laughter. I think I can laugh just fine on my own.
With all these cans flying around, I'm saddened to reveal to you that The IT Crowd is not only fucking awesome, but is filmed in front of a live studio audience.

...and on that note: 0118 999 881 999 119 7253

grumble

ashism said:
Sounds like you are not a fan of shooters in general.
What you described could easily be any first person shooter.

Talk to Keene or Cortana, travel through level, kill dude. Debrief with the girls yet again.

Talk to generic scientist or security guard, kill dude. Listen to Alex fawn over your silent self.

Talk to my father, kill dudes, purify water.

Either way, it's kind of the same thing.

As for enviroments, they do get mixed up. But don't expect to be dropped into new york city, its a wasteland planet after all.

To be honest, most games hide the grind a lot better than this one does. With this game, it's very obvious that you're doing fetch quests. That being said, there's nothing wrong with fetch quests as long as you're having fun doing them.

Your examples are kind of flawed, though. In most shooters, the game is constantly progressing, like you never circle back. You always are moving forwards while crazy story and environment shit is happening all around you. That isn't the case in Borderlands, which again is fine for a loot game and something they can improve upon for the sequel.

Firestorm

Blizzard said:
I'm honestly confused -- GFWL has a history of cheaper DLC than what, PC games in general? Or DLC over Steam?

And doesn't Steam also have achievements and friends list integration? They could in theory have used that instead.

My main problem with GFWL is that the friends list feels really slow and awkward to me, like a slidey slow animated Windows Vista style interface, requiring 3-4 clicks to find a friend and try to join something. I've only really used it for SFIV online though, aside from Fallout 3.

I've played UT3, and it had a really obnoxious system for adding friends, where you had to double/triple confirm and add on both sides, I think? Maybe they'll make the Gamespy system better on here, but I still see a future of consulting a list of Steam vs. Gamespy IDs now for this game. :lol

*edit* Sounds like the consensus is bad ending, bad AI. I didn't really expect either to be especially good, so I shall temper my expectations accordingly!
It's not cheaper at the base price, but it is cheaper due to how you pay for it. Microsoft Points go on sale for 20% off like every month here. Hell, there was a 25% sale and a 50% off price error just in the last two weeks here in Canada. Money on the other hand never goes on sale! So Microsoft Points becomes a much better way for paying for downloadable content than money for me. I have $120 that I paid $60 for =P

I like the integration with both Steam AND Live. Both friends lists at once! I also prefer Live achievements to Steam but that's preference. Since I started this gen building up my persistent profile on Live, I like adding to that rather than the systems I got afterwards.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
@grumble: Right, it's way closer to Diablo; talk to NPC, go kill or find item, return to NPC. Or an MMO.

Unicorn said:

Damn. I just remembered the PC version has an "export item jpg" feature. I cannot fucking wait until this thread starts filling up with shots of epic loot.

Or maybe we should have a separate "trade/lootwhore this kind of item for me and I'll keep my eyes out for yours" thread? Could get massive quickly with all the images.

mackloon

Neo Member
eznark said:
Last week I preordered Borderlands and Dragon Age. I just got home from GameStop, picked up Demon's Souls and Uncharted 2. If nothing else you have excellent taste!

Ha...I had Demon's Souls a while back from an import. I played about 75% of the way through and get a little frustrated on a few spots. Got Fallout 3 and sold Demon's Souls on eBay for $100. I was down at Gamestop last week to get a new copy of Demon's Souls but they were out of stock. Pre-ordered Dragon Age and bought uncharted instead...saw a poster for Borderlands and now I am contemplating going down to get that too.

Need to get Demon's Souls again...My frustration and knowledge that it was coming to the states and the fact that I could get $100 for it...covinced me to part from it. I am sure that a copy will show it's face soon and I will be $40 richer when it does.

But also...good taste!

Teknoman

practice02 said:
No it's 33 if you by four copies of the game so it comes out to 132 bucks.

2vuar15.jpg

Read between the lines. That means you got the game for 33 bucks. Each person chips in 33 bucks for their copy and you all come out ahead because you got the game lower than full price.

practice02 said:
y would you pay for other people you don't know to play the game with you, when it has match making?
You have 3 people paypal you $33.75 and then you go ahead and buy the four-pack and give the other people their copies. You don't have to play with those other 4 people if you don't want.

I've done 4-pack for Borderlands and I'm doing one for Left 4 Dead 2. I'm officially back into PC gaming. :D

Baloonatic said:
You realise that the other people contribute to the cost, right?
the guy im talking to is saying set this deal up with strangers. If I had four friends who played On a Pc I would do it, but I would not set that deal up with just random people on a message board.

Red

practice02 said:
No it's 33 if you by four copies of the game so it comes out to 132 bucks.
It seems like you're missing an essential part of this equation.
practice02 said:
the guy im talking to is saying set this deal up with strangers. If I had for friends who played On a Pc I would it, but I would not set that deal up with just random people on a message board.
Has anyone run into trouble with someone not putting down their cash?

JambiBum

poweld said:
With all these cans flying around, I'm saddened to reveal to you that The IT Crowd is not only fucking awesome, but is filmed in front of a live studio audience.

...and on that note: 0118 999 881 999 119 7253

IT Crowd is pretty amazing. Have you had a visit from Aunt Irma lately?

Top Bottom