• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Borderlands |OT| More guns than the population of the Netherlands

Does the game have that gun histroy thing in it still? I remember Randy Pitchford talking about the guns having history Info if you traded them, like the different owners and how many times it had critted, and how many head shots accomplished with the gun..ETC, ETC.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
practice02 said:
Does the game have that gun histroy thing in it still? I remember Randy Pitchford talking about the guns having history Info if you traded them, like the different owners and how many times it had critted, and how many head shots accomplished with the gun..ETC, ETC.
Don't think so.

Reviews:
OXM:
IGN:
1UP:
B+
Destrucoid:
Giant Bomb:
4/5
GamePro:
4.5/5

mackloon said:
Did they mention of a loot or rewards system for the PVP arenas? Just wondering.

I don't think there is one. It's just for fun.

That would be a cool idea if Gearbox wanted to set up online PvP contests with prizes and shit.
Jamesfrom818 said:
So...the PS3 and 360 versions are pretty much the same right? The game doesn't run any better on either of the consoles?

As far as I know, yes. Both console editions are the same. PC users will have the best graphical options of the bunch as well as an improved inventory interface.
bitches

practice02 said:

I haven't heard about it, but that would be sweet.

Unicorn

practice02 said:

Don't remember hearing about that, but that would be a really cool feature...

Sanchito

Man.. I am torn. I was hoping for a really good single player experience. Thinking of moving my pre order monies to get Demon's Souls and picking up Borderlands later. Ugh.. what to do!?

Jamesfrom818 said:
So...the PS3 and 360 versions are pretty much the same right? The game doesn't run any better on either of the consoles?

A gearbox dev apparently confirmed that the ps3 version runs at 640p, 360 at 720p. No idea if that's been confirmed yet, but that's "the word" as of now.

Destructoid on the difficulty and AI:

While initially combat will seem relatively simple, once you progress the game will get reasonably difficult, and you'll find yourself very carefully having to manage your cover, your shield/health level, and your surroundings.

Borderlands blends the regeneration aspect of many popular FPSs with health-pack grabbing. You have shields and life, and your shields regenerate, while your life doesn't. While this will give you some leeway to run into dangerous situations with guns blazing, you can't just stand still and blow everyone up. If you're going to make a rush, you'll have to take out your opponents quickly.

Some of the enemies are quite adept at sneaking around behind you, or quietly chucking grenades into your cover while you're trying to aim, and this can result in a quick death. Your FPS skills will definitely be put to the test in this game. You need a constant awareness of your surroundings, knowledge of all the cover available to you, some serious accuracy, and a quick trigger finger.

Cant0na

Banned
Question about regenerating shields -

does every class get them? or is it only soldier? I know soldier has regen health as well, but didnt see anything about shields on the sniper spec tree

mackloon

Neo Member
yeah...as for the PVP honor loot idea. I was just wondering. It is one of the things I did like about prior games that had some type of a PVP bonus. Then again...I heard that your character aesthetics do not really change with armor and whatnot...which is kind of lame if you ask me.

there is nothing better than showing off to your friends a new armor...or something like that. Not that this is a deal breaker...just one of the extra things that make it nice.

I think I am going to pre-order later tonight.

Is the gamestop merc pack worth a damn?

shield's regenerate based on the one you have equipped. some have health regen, some cause explosions when depleted, etc.

also, lilith is a beast if you spec into the controller/elemental build. it's a constant stacking of effects on the enemy every second if pulled off right due to artifacts and class mods.

garath

Cant0na said:
Question about regenerating shields -

does every class get them? or is it only soldier? I know soldier has regen health as well, but didnt see anything about shields on the sniper spec tree

Every class regenerates shields. depending on the shield equipped it could regen faster or slower.

Cant0na

Banned
SuperAwesome said:
shield's regenerate based on the one you have equipped. some have health regen, some cause explosions when depleted, etc.

also, lilith is a beast if you spec into the controller/elemental build. it's a constant stacking of effects on the enemy every second if pulled off right due to artifacts and class mods.

oh, so regenerating health isnt class specific, just what you equip. good

I was planing to play as a sniper, but thought his class didnt allow regen. so decided to go soldier.......guess im doing sniper after all

Raide

I hope they expand the area stuff later on. It would be kinda cool to have WoW like Battlefields within Borderlands...or not...:lol

Is it time for loot yet? :D

Blizzard

Banned
I was thinking for a second whether there would be any possibilities for large-scale interaction (like one team of 4 vs. another team of 4, or just chatting with other players online) and I'm pretty sure that's not possible since you'd have the same players.

But what about teaming up with people? Do you have to pick one of each or can you do co-op with like...three Lilith's and one Brick?

Blizzard said:
I was thinking for a second whether there would be any possibilities for large-scale interaction (like one team of 4 vs. another team of 4, or just chatting with other players online) and I'm pretty sure that's not possible since you'd have the same players.

But what about teaming up with people? Do you have to pick one of each or can you do co-op with like...three Lilith's and one Brick?

You can have any combination of the 4, including 4 of the same guy.

Unicorn

Blizzard said:

Yeah you can do dupes of characters. A whole team of Brick is possible.

poweld

Well, I said I'd wait for positive reviews before considering double dipping, and, well...

Looks like this is a first for me.

jabipun

Totally relieved this game isn't getting shit-reviews. In a genre mash-up like this there are so many things that could go wrong. In fact, it seems to be getting good reviews.

Blizzard said:

Is there 4v4?

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Tokubetsu said:
I think he meant the first one which is pretty much "Demons took over this town now go underground for 12 hours and fix it."

MMMmmmmm.... not quite. There's the whole plot centered around Lazarus, King Leoric, and his son. Not to mention that there's a ridiculous amount of backstory in the game, both within the manual and various books that you can find in the Labyrinth.

Feindflug

elrechazao said:
A gearbox dev apparently confirmed that the ps3 version runs at 640p, 360 at 720p. No idea if that's been confirmed yet, but that's "the word" as of now.

Well that's weird because if that turns out to be true then Borderlands on PS3 will be the first UE3 powered game running at sub-HD.

BTW great reviews - the game sounds great! getting the 360 version at thursday hopefully. :)

mackloon

Neo Member
My question got left on last page...

...anyone know if the preorder merc pack is worth it from gamestop...? Or should I just wait for some nub to return the game because he is not the greatest sniper in the world and he wants store credit?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
ZealousD said:
MMMmmmmm.... not quite. There's the whole plot centered around Lazarus, King Leoric, and his son. Not to mention that there's a ridiculous amount of backstory in the game, both within the manual and various books that you can find in the Labyrinth.

Well, I was just talking about the in-game story. Blizzard always spends a RIDICULOUS amount of time fleshing our their universes in print, but I don't really consider that part of the "plot of Diablo" as I experienced it.

Still, I think my interpretation of the story is somewhere between your wholehearted embrace and Tokubetsu's rather humorous summary.

At best, it entertained me, and at all other times it didn't get in the way of my looting, so all was well. It didn't really stick with me after I stopped playing the way, say, Bioshock did- just to pick one off the top of my head.

EDIT: I doubt the merc pack is worth it. They're level 10 or under guns, and half of the excitement in this game is finding weapons that are unique to your experience.
some of them do look pretty cool

Dude Abides

Banned
just grabbed this. now the question is will i have enough discipline to go to the gym after work or will i start playing right away.

ZealousD said:
Come on you are not playing Diablo for the "story" the story of diablo is the same as with Doom it's there for a context of why you are killing things.

Woot. Got in on a 4pack finally and im now ready to roll for next week. just trying to figure out what class ill be playing now hrmm. Maybe go with brick for when i play with gaf crew :D

spazzfish

Correct me if i'm wrong here but the game really seems to be geared up to be played through twice.
I'm assuming that after the second play through you can play the harder of the two modes though as many times as you like, but being level 50 you'd probably just stomp through it.
Has there been any mention of them adding an extra difficulty or any other incentive to play through more then twice?

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
practice02 said:
Come on you are not playing Diablo for the "story" the story of diablo is the same as with Doom it's there for a context of why you are killing things.

Never said I did. Just saying I enjoyed the story and that there's more to than "demons bad, kill demons"!

spazzfish said:
Correct me if i'm wrong here but the game really seems to be geared up to be played through twice.
I'm assuming that after the second play through you can play the harder of the two modes though as many times as you like, but being level 50 you'd probably just stomp through it.
Has there been any mention of them adding an extra difficulty or any other incentive to play through more then twice?

yeah, they're calling it Game+.

What I want to know, is if one of your friends are in game+ mode, and you're in regular mode, can you still play with them? How does that work?

[edit]oh, wait, more than twice? Like a Game++? I'm note sure.....

Dachande

Does anyone know if the PC disc version of this will install through and use Steam for multiplayer? It's so much cheaper but I need Steam for this.

Top Bottom