• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Borderlands |OT| More guns than the population of the Netherlands

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Aptos said:
So after getting to level 27 I've got to say the lack of explanation is getting to me...

Example:
Roland's Deploy skill gives +20% "cooldown reduction" on his turret for every point spent in it. At 0/5 Deploy, it seems like the cooldown doesn't even start until the turrent has despawned, at which point it takes 100 seconds to cooldown (as listed on the turret skill). At 5/5 Deploy (i.e. "Cooldown reduction: +100%"), the cooldown starts immediately after the turret has deployed, and it takes exactly 60 seconds to cooldown. However, I have a class mod that gives +2 Deploy, and with it equiped it takes 50 seconds to cooldown (with 5/5 Deploy, essentially giving me 7/5 Deploy).

HOW DOES THIS MAKE ANY MATHEMATICAL SENSE?

P.S.: The only way I can make sense of this is if the standard "cooldown reduction" once you put a point into Deploy is 20 seconds. That way "cooldown reduction: +100%" means 40 seconds of "cooldown reduction," (100% of 20 is 20, and 20+20=40) and if I get +2 more to Deploy (i.e. 20% more cooldown reduction), I get "cooldown reduction +140%," (140% of 20 is 28, and 20+28=48~50...)

This game needs to come with a guide! And paying $20 for a Prima Guide is not what I mean; it needs to be included in-box...
God's Beard said:
"Increases magazine capacity with all weapon types." I'm going to be so pissed if it doesn't round up though. Turning a 1-shot rocket launcher into a 2-shot would be awesome.

Also, it's weird how different our builds are. mine's a rushdown killer while you've got some kind of defensive tank.
Increases magazine capacity. I know I'm being specific, but given Borderlands attitude I hope you are right.

Anyone interested in specing Roland for turret cooldown here is this fancy chart:
Hit every 7 seconds:
Code:
     R e f i r e
    |   0     |   1     |   2     |   3     |   4     |   5
  --+---------+---------+---------+---------+---------+---------
D  0| 100     |  85     |  72     |  64     |  56     |  50
e  1|  83 1/3 |  71 2/3 |  63 1/3 |  56     |  50     |  43 1/3
p  2|  71 3/7 |  62 5/7 |  55 5/7 |  50     |  43     |  39 2/7
l  3|  62 1/2 |  55 5/8 |  50     |  43 3/4 |  40     |  36 1/8
o  4|  55 5/9 |  50     |  44 4/9 |  40 5/9 |  36 1/9 |  33 1/3
y  5|  50     |  45     |  41     |  37     |  34     |  30
Hit every 2 seconds (maximum possible)
Code:
     R e f i r e
x=2 |   0     |   1     |   2     |   3     |   4     |   5
  --+---------+---------+---------+---------+---------+---------
D  0| 100     |  60     |  40     |  28     |  20     |  15
e  1|  83 1/3 |  52 2/3 |  36 1/3 |  26     |  18 1/3 |  12 2/3
p  2|  71 3/7 |  47 1/7 |  32 6/7 |  24 1/7 |  17 1/7 |  12 1/7
l  3|  62 1/2 |  42 1/2 |  30     |  22 1/8 |  16 1/8 |  12 1/8
o  4|  55 5/9 |  38 3/9 |  28 1/9 |  20 5/9 |  15 5/9 |  11 1/3
y  5|  50     |  36     |  27     |  20     |  15     |  11
Hinges said:
I have noticed that when the Refire bonus is activated every 7 seconds, both skills seem to reduce the time taken by approximately the same amount per rank (Just look at that diagonal of 50s!). It seems plausible that testing revealed that 7 seconds was the average time between Refire bonuses for an average player, so the talents were balanced to have roughly the same value - the upshot is, that if you think you can activate the Refire bonus more than once every seven seconds, go for Refire, and if not, Deploy. Though of course, you could pile points into both and see how close you can get to that 11 second cooldown!

Time to move 2 points out from Deploy and into caut/revive (Maybe even forgo aid station since health seems to not be a big factor from vids I have seen so far, plus I have other means to heal)
http://www.borderlandsthegame.com/skilltree/roland/#01000000005505315055505

Neckbeard69

Neo Member
Just got this baby in the mail during lunch. Thank you Zavvi for your early shipping! :D
There was a small window of opportunity to take this baby for a spin, loving it so far.

The graphics were a nice surprise, it looks very crisp and clear, much more then the previews and trailers made it look.

Neckbeard69 said:
Just got this baby in the mail during lunch. Thank you Zavvi for your early shipping! :D
There was a small window of opportunity to take this baby for a spin, loving it so far.

The graphics were a nice surprise, it looks very crisp and clear, much more then the previews and trailers made it look.
You just saved me some money. Damn it was cheap at Zavvi.

TimeLike

Frostburn said:
Has anyone installed this to their 360 yet? Notice any improvement on load times? With the elite I tend to install most games I'm going to be playing for a while if it helps with the loading (Plus I love not hearing that DVD drive spin up). Please do a benchmark and post it for us to add to the OP!

Played 3 man coop earlier and two of us have it installed while the third player did not. When we entered a new portion of the world that required loading, we would be off and running down the road while the person who didn't have it installed said he was still waiting for the game to load. Seems to save a few seconds of loading each time.

The way you earn xp points in coop is really crazy. My friend started a new game and joined me. I was a lvl 36 and he was lvl 1. In about half an hour he was already up to lvl 24 and he didn't even do anything except walk around and explore. It took me a long time to get to that level playing alone. Seems kinda cheap and exploitative.

Xevren

TimeLike said:
The way you earn xp points in coop is really crazy. My friend started a new game and joined me. I was a lvl 36 and he was lvl 1. In about half an hour he was already up to lvl 24 and he didn't even do anything except walk around and explore. It took me a long time to get to that level playing alone. Seems kinda cheap and exploitative.

Good lord, that's insane.

I've only played solo for the night, lvl 15 siren. Going to have to play some co-op with some people later on, game seems like it would be a lot funner in co-op.

Cahill

Banned
Xevren said:
Good lord, that's insane.

I've only played solo for the night, lvl 15 siren. Going to have to play some co-op with some people later on, game seems like it would be a lot funner in co-op.

Dammit Xev. I didn't get my copy yet - hopefully today.... waaait for meeeeeeee!

Jonsoncao

Banned
TurtleSnatcher said:
I really like seeing my friends online statuses on XBL and the unique crud they put in the title..

1 guy has "Playing Borderlands - Favorite Gun Mfg: Hyperion"
another has..
"Playing Borderlands - 1st Playthrough 21% complete"

Another has..

"Playing Borderlands - 420 total kills"

another has..

"Playing Borderlands - Needs help!" (Guessing he is playing alone)

Awesome.
geez! cant wait the mailman today!

Blizzard

Banned
Sounds like the PC interface has some issues...as long as I can still do everything in SOME fashion without plugging in a 360 controller I won't be too upset. :p Overall those comments sound fairly positive.

Victrix

*beard*
roMonster said:
After watching this stream--I'm definitely picking Brick first. :lol

Dude, I dunno if you saw it, but he got an artifact near the end there that gave his fists the power of THUNDER AND FURY

It was absolutely hilarious

I'll stream more later today, pulled an all nighter thanks to this game :lol

It gets way more intense when playing coop, I'll try to get a full four tonight

fake edit: check the archive, I don't remember exactly where, but its near the end of the evening, in the cave, he gets the artifact and starts going nuts on stuff - http://www.justin.tv/evilgamer/archive

edit again: Found it and made a clip http://www.justin.tv/clip/f7f7654cd2fa545d LOWER YOUR VOLUME. And profanity warning etc.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
John: I must have my rant about the interface. For a game that boasts it understands that PC players use the mouse, and that it’s PC first, something went wrong. The game opens with “PRESS ENTER”. Mmm hmm? Then there’s so much that’s insane. You can only invite people with “i”, and you can only get out of the invite screen by pressing “ESC to cancel”. Comparing weapons can be started with the mouse, but only exited with the keyboard. And here 360 control icons appear in the inventory. You can’t click on the keyboard shortcuts to activate them. You cannot scroll through quest text when being given it without using Page Up and Page Down, despite there being a triangle button for the mouse… It’s not good.
Jim: Okay. The interface has botched itself between mouse and keyboard…
John: It’s not pretty. It’s like an all-encompassing tribute to the inability to close the VATS thing in FO3.
Alec: It’s certainly a mess, but I wonder if it’s just general RPG interface inexperience rather than specifically console-port-fail?
FUCKING SHIT.

When I was on my system requirements rant, it hit me that this was going to be a crappy 360 port. I thought to myself, "they're going to leave the 360 buttons in there, bet", and there it is. If I hadn't preordered through Steam, I'd cancel.

Blizzard

Banned
On the plus side, didn't they say they might add more PVP/arena stuff if the community wanted it? If they pay attention to (PC) community feedback for a little bit, there's a chance they might patch the interface, maybe.

I just wish someone else would release a UE3 game like Mirror's Edge and "accidentally" leave the editor in, so I could potentially just change the interface around myself. :lol

roMonster

Victrix said:
Dude, I dunno if you saw it, but he got an artifact near the end there that gave his fists the power of THUNDER AND FURY

It was absolutely hilarious

I'll stream more later today, pulled an all nighter thanks to this game :lol

It gets way more intense when playing coop, I'll try to get a full four tonight

fake edit: check the archive, I don't remember exactly where, but its near the end of the evening, in the cave, he gets the artifact and starts going nuts on stuff - http://www.justin.tv/evilgamer/archive

That is awesome. :lol

I think I'll go Tank/Blaster first and then (hopefully) find an end game item like that and switch to Brawler/Tank.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Blizzard said:
On the plus side, didn't they say they might add more PVP/arena stuff if the community wanted it? If they pay attention to (PC) community feedback for a little bit, there's a chance they might patch the interface, maybe.

I just wish someone else would release a UE3 game like Mirror's Edge and "accidentally" leave the editor in, so I could potentially just change the interface around myself. :lol
I'm sure they'll be happy to sell you some extra maps.

Blizzard

Banned
Ikuu said:
I'm sure they'll be happy to sell you some extra maps.
Believe me, I am -keenly- aware of that. :( Such is life. I think my biggest concern about the game isn't that it will be boring, but that it will have a bunch of paid DLC, and you'll be left without people to co-op with if you don't keep getting it.

TimeLike said:

Seems to me you'd almost HAVE to do that, otherwise the noob would be fodder pretty much permanently. That's also a pretty clear argument for having one character for co-op and another for solo...

daebo

The S-Word said:
Using the Gamefly trick on this. I'm sure i'll get it now : )

Same here. I love gamefly when it works. SO, I'm getting a brand new game and their Keep it price is 48.99... So, i'm buying it and saving 11 dollars. So nice. I just have to wait an extra day, which is fine because I'm working the next few days so, score.

Amneisac

Blizzard said:
Believe me, I am -keenly- aware of that. :( Such is life. I think my biggest concern about the game isn't that it will be boring, but that it will have a bunch of paid DLC, and you'll be left without people to co-op with if you don't keep getting it.

I'm almost hoping it's going to have a ton of paid DLC. I mean the soonest the DLC could come out is every few months, and by that point people will be played out on the included content, but I'm sure more quests / areas / levels will always be welcome. If it's as fun as I'm hoping it is, paying like $10/15 every couple of months is just like a cheap MMO subscription.

Dizzle24

Lord Phol said:
Not getting the game until friday, life in euroland >:O. Anyone got their hands on a PS3 version yet? Any impressions? :eek:

First I was like :/ then I started playing and was like :D.

I usually don't play FPS and absolutely HATED Fallout 3, but goddamn this game is fun as hell. Cell-shaded exploding enemies? Yes. Fetch quests that are fun? Yes. A bazillion guns? Yes. Funny comments from your character when you kill people? Yes.

I'm only about 3 hours in, but I love it so far.

This is a must-play.

Blizzard

Banned
Amneisac said:
I'm almost hoping it's going to have a ton of paid DLC. I mean the soonest the DLC could come out is every few months, and by that point people will be played out on the included content, but I'm sure more quests / areas / levels will always be welcome. If it's as fun as I'm hoping it is, paying like $10/15 every couple of months is just like a cheap MMO subscription.
Yeah, but as an elitist, "entitled" PC gamer I like to encourage the developers who, like Valve, allow people to make their own custom content, or continue to release free map packages and stuff. :D I think the BF2 custom content became free eventually too, and someone here suggested Gearbox could also go that route in the end. *shrug*

Lord Phol

Dizzle24 said:
First I was like :/ then I started playing and was like :D.

I usually don't play FPS and absolutely HATED Fallout 3, but goddamn this game is fun as hell. Cell-shaded exploding enemies? Yes. Fetch quests that are fun? Yes. A bazillion guns? Yes. Funny comments from your character when you kill people? Yes.

I'm only about 3 hours in, but I love it so far.

This is a must-play.

Nice to hear, guess there's no reason not to get it friday then!
Probably start a Lilith and try to get in some co-op games with fellow PS3 gaffers :d.

All I know is that I'll probably get my PS3 copy around the same time as the PC version drops, knowing Play-Asia. But I can wait, and love hearing all the good reports. Trying not to binge on Justin.TV as it is, though. I've already watched too much!

Frostburn

TimeLike said:
Played 3 man coop earlier and two of us have it installed while the third player did not. When we entered a new portion of the world that required loading, we would be off and running down the road while the person who didn't have it installed said he was still waiting for the game to load. Seems to save a few seconds of loading each time.
Thanks for the info, I will be installing for sure. Anyone else do any before/after install load time testing yet?

Dark FaZe said:
And that would be? Mine has already shipped though.
Mine shipped too. To get new games i just always send my games back on friday, they get it monday night and send the new release tuesday morning with nothing else already-released on my list. Works 100% of the time :lol

Playing on 360

CONS:

Slight popin when loading new zones
loading screen makes me motion sick
Can't see my feet
no stash (but inventory is huge(
Can't turn off damage numbers
Not enough customization, can't even color whole body just 3 zones
story is kind of weak ( so far)

PROS:

Great Music and sound effects
Great style, atmosphere
Well done graphic style
Jumping is great
Guns are insane, they feel and sound real
Characters have great personality
More voice work then I thought
Combat is really really well done, it never gets old
Interface is perfect, maps and everything well laid out

I got it midnight yesterday and was planning on just trying it out. Next thing I knew it was 5:30, coffee was spilt all over my floor and I had to be at work in a few hours. I don't know how or why excatly but its just so damn FUN. And I was just playing solo.

Tailzo said:
If I import a US PS3 copy (cheaper), can I play with my euro friends here in europe?

I don't see why not?

I mean I play FIFA09 with people in europe all the time.

(God I love beating Brits on there. Makes it even more fun when they find out I am American)

only thing holding you back is I thought you couldn't play other nations games unless you have that nations box.

Top Bottom