• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Borderlands |OT| More guns than the population of the Netherlands

Baker

Banned
I just impulse bought it at Walmart when I went to pick up TF2. I'm on a fake sickie, so I'm up for playing all day if anyone is around.

360: Forensick

Tailzo

MidnightRider said:
I don't see why not?

I mean I play FIFA09 with people in europe all the time.

(God I love beating Brits on there. Makes it even more fun when they find out I am American)

only thing holding you back is I thought you couldn't play other nations games unless you have that nations box.
Alright, I am nearing a buy here, just need a confirmation, and I am ready to order :D Let's hope Europe and US uses the same servers, or uses my ip adress to get me to the correct server.

In World of Warcraft, there are different servers for different countries.

V_Arnold

I have a serious question (Why so serial? :p).

I understand that there are a lot of weapons thanks to the randomize function. It is awesome. And there is a maximum of 50 level, which is okay. And: what happens when you have "completed" the game. Are there any endgame content, or do they plan on..... introducing them trough DLC?

Or ranked arena, or ladderish system for the race of "who is better"? So, if you have grinded yourself to the best of bests, got yourself a great lv50 uber-rare weapon, what are you gonna do with it? Have the developers addressed these questions, or has they ever been questioned about?

garath

I want to see more Brick! Surely someone has a stream or a recording of 5-10 minutes of melee Brick :)

I'm torn between him and Lilith.

The people at gbx forums are simply delighted that they didn't waste their time obsessing over a single game for the past two years. I'm mostly excited because there's a high probability that I didn't waste $34. phew.

DomLando

Just picked up a copy on 360 from Gamestop. The girl working knew nothing about the code for the weapon pack. When I showed the website to her stating that it is a pre order bonus, she told me it was probably packed in the case. Of course it is not. I called another local Gamestop and they had no idea as well. Did anyone get their code? If so, did it come in packaged with the game or was it something they hand to you in store?

hulot

MarshallVaako said:
Playing on 360

CONS:

Slight popin when loading new zones
loading screen makes me motion sick
Can't see my feet
no stash (but inventory is huge(
Can't turn off damage numbers
Not enough customization, can't even color whole body just 3 zones
story is kind of weak ( so far)

PROS:

Great Music and sound effects
Great style, atmosphere
Well done graphic style
Jumping is great
Guns are insane, they feel and sound real
Characters have great personality
More voice work then I thought
Combat is really really well done, it never gets old
Interface is perfect, maps and everything well laid out

I got it midnight yesterday and was planning on just trying it out. Next thing I knew it was 5:30, coffee was spilt all over my floor and I had to be at work in a few hours. I don't know how or why excatly but its just so damn FUN. And I was just playing solo.
Agreed on all points. UE3 still has that texture load delay that's annoying, though not as bad here as it was in Mass Effect. Guns feel great, interface is console friendly, and loot, lots. Got 2 hours of sleep and might end up this way all week...

purg3

slept with Malkin
DomLando said:
Just picked up a copy on 360 from Gamestop. The girl working knew nothing about the code for the weapon pack. When I showed the website to her stating that it is a pre order bonus, she told me it was probably packed in the case. Of course it is not. I called another local Gamestop and they had no idea as well. Did anyone get their code? If so, did it come in packaged with the game or was it something they hand to you in store?
Mine was in the case. There's even a little sticker on the case that says so.

poweld

DomLando said:
It was packed in the case. Go get it :p

Shoogoo

I didn't stop playing since I posted that pic, and all I can say is I'm having a total blast. I was running a soldier until level 10 where my girlfriend showed more and more interest in the game and we went split-screen so I started from scratch and we're now both lvl8.

This game? SO FUCKING AWESOME. gotygotygoty

To answer you Hawkian, my fav gun so far is a scoped rifle with very nice accuracy (90.1). The clip size is small (12 I think) but the damage is great and the reload time is godly.

My girlfriend has a pistol that puts every shit on fire and it has a blade at the tip. Very effective at melee. It's cool because her regular melee attack (machette or whatever) is replaced by that gun melee attack.

DomLando said:

I believe it only came in so many preorders to each store.. some stores that didnt preorder a ton still have them but others that preordered a ton don't.

Mine didn't but I don't mind.. The GBX Dev I played with last night gave me a ton of nice loot :)

I guess Ill be the herpes that spreads the developer achievement to others on GAF.

Sceren

Neo Member
Sorry if this has already been asked/answered before, I've been trying to keep up with the thread..

Does the game allow you to go into 4 player online with split screen enabled? IE. 4 people playing on 2 consoles?

Shoogoo

Hawkian said:
Where do you find a girl interested in FPS-RPG hybrids? :lol

lol those are the exact two genres she likes (her fav games are L4D, Halo3 (yuck), Gears, Diablo 2, Sacred 2, Tales Of,...)

That, and Picross.

I was wondering, what are the guns you receive at Gamestop? Are they good?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Sceren said:
Sorry if this has already been asked/answered before, I've been trying to keep up with the thread..

Does the game allow you to go into 4 player online with split screen enabled? IE. 4 people playing on 2 consoles?

Nope as far as I know going online is one per console.

EDIT: What's wrong with Halo 3? I missed out on this gen so I'm genuinely curious. It got great reviews.

Zzoram

Dragnet said:
How the flying fuck has nobody posted PS3 impressions yet? This is so frustrating!!

I guess it's safe to say that the 360 version is selling much better than the PS3 version, probably because PS3 people are still playing Uncharted 2.

Lord Phol

Shoogoo said:
lol those are the exact two genres she likes (her fav games are L4D, Halo3 (yuck), Gears, Diablo 2, Sacred 2, Tales Of,...)

That, and Picross.

Edit: Scratch that, here's a youtube video showing off the guns.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KoLWna0dj-Y

Also a little guide for how the pre-order bonus thing works.
http://multiplayerblog.mtv.com/2009/10/08/how-the-borderlands-pre-order-guns-work/

"Pre-ordering "Borderlands" at GameStop nets you 8 unique guns for use in the game. That's not really news, it's been on their site for weeks now. But I have been getting some questions from readers as to how, exactly, the guns will be integrated into the game experience and what their limitations are, so I reached out to Gearbox to find out.

If you pre-order the game, GameStop will give you a download code which basically unlocks the guns for use when you start up the game. The eight guns are spread out among the game's different weapon types, ranging from pistols to sniper rifles to shotguns and rocket launchers. The above screenshot is one such gun, the Vicious Thunder Sniper Rifle. When you start a new character, all of these guns will be accessible from your inventory right from the get-go, so there's no need to level up to use them.

According to Gearbox, each new character you create will have these guns, and there's no limit to who you give them to. So, theoretically, you could create a bunch of starter characters and dole out the weapons to friends that didn't pre-order the game. Or, and I'm just spit-balling here, you could sell them all at the start of the game for a wad of cash (presuming Gearbox didn't have the foresight to set the pre-order guns' value to zero).

Worth noting that the guns are really designed for the early part of the game, so they're not likely to give players much of an edge (apart from leveling a bit faster at the beginning)..."

Shoogoo

Hawkian said:
EDIT: What's wrong with Halo 3? I missed out on this gen so I'm genuinely curious. It got great reviews.

That's a huge debate that shouldn't be held here.

In short, the solo was above average for me (4 players coop was good though) but the multiplayer was meh. full of kiddos and assholes

Kade

Hawkian said:

Gonna update the OP of the matchup thread? Lots of people have posted since the last edit.

Frostburn

Shoogoo said:
For US Gamestops pre-order bonus you get 7-8 exclusive guns. I think about 2 of each major gun type. I'm picking up the game on my lunch break so I can tell you more very soon.

I'm pretty sure there is a special page on Gamestop's website with the details but it is in flash and I'm on my iPod touch :(

Edit: Here is a link with pics of the weapons and the gamestop link http://borderlandsguide.com/forum/mercenary-lewts-display

Sceren

Neo Member
Hawkian said:

Thanks, it looks like I'm going to stick with the PC version then...

/diesfromthewait

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
dygiT said:
Gonna update the OP of the matchup thread? Lots of people have posted since the last edit.

Check again?

And yes, you should allll wait for the pceeeeee versionnnnn *waves pendulum*

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I'm going to try to power through all of Batman: AA this week, so that should be good. I'm just at work now... where I can read all about Borderlands and not play any games at all.

Red

Hawkian said:
I'm going to try to power through all of Batman: AA this week, so that should be good. I'm just at work now... where I can read all about Borderlands and not play any games at all.
Can't go wrong with AA. I think I'll use Mass Effect to tide me over. Almost done my second playthrough, got distracted a couple weeks ago and put it on hold.

garath

Hawkian said:
Yes. I need an outlet.

I've been using my newly purchased $20 Dawn of War II to pass the time. Fun game.

I am eagerly anticipating next week though. The wait is going to suck this week with the console versions out there.

Cimarron

DOes anyone know if this supports 2 player splitscreen while playing a X-Box Live game. I loved that L4D allowed you to day that. Sometimes it sucks that you have a buddy at your house and the bothof you want to play at the same time as your friends via Live.

Red

MoxManiac said:
Any impressions on the PS3 version? Is this the type of game that's meant for PC and gimped on consoles?
That's what was said before release, but current PC impressions make it seem like it's the other way around.

I just wanted to ask this again, but for PS3 owners...

Do you need to invite actual friends playing the game (on your friends list), or is there a way to jump into someones game?

Kind of like in Firefight mode of ODST, I hate that you need to know people who own the game to play that mode well.

Crunched said:
That's what was said before release, but current PC impressions make it seem like it's the other way around.
Woah woah woah. Are you serious? Where did you hear these impressions at? I hope this isn't true.

Red

Labombadog said:
Woah woah woah. Are you serious? Where did you hear these impressions at? I hope this isn't true.
Not too long ago in this thread, stuff like the inventory system using 360 button icons and such. I'm sure there won't be much of a difference either way, but the interface seems catered to a console audience from what I understand.
John: I must have my rant about the interface. For a game that boasts it understands that PC players use the mouse, and that it’s PC first, something went wrong. The game opens with “PRESS ENTER”. Mmm hmm? Then there’s so much that’s insane. You can only invite people with “i”, and you can only get out of the invite screen by pressing “ESC to cancel”. Comparing weapons can be started with the mouse, but only exited with the keyboard. And here 360 control icons appear in the inventory. You can’t click on the keyboard shortcuts to activate them. You cannot scroll through quest text when being given it without using Page Up and Page Down, despite there being a triangle button for the mouse… It’s not good.
Jim: Okay. The interface has botched itself between mouse and keyboard…
John: It’s not pretty. It’s like an all-encompassing tribute to the inability to close the VATS thing in FO3.
Alec: It’s certainly a mess, but I wonder if it’s just general RPG interface inexperience rather than specifically console-port-fail?

Top Bottom