• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Borderlands |OT| More guns than the population of the Netherlands

Swag

Orbitcube said:
I think he meant he had been playing the game co-op for the past 2 hours, but had played some beforehand. That would explain being level 13.

That makes a lot more sense haha, all kinds of flags were going up in my head. Was watching the video review on Game trailers and kinda disappointed by the way the arena works, was hoping to have more then 4 person death match type games going on.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
God's Beard said:
To be fair, you really should be remapping the buttons to make it more comfortable.

I play PC games with a 360 controller, don't tell anyone

release the hounds

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
Sebulon3k said:
13 in 2 hours wut? :lol

I thought in most reviews people were topping off around 34~35 after 22 or so hours? Does the experience hit a real grindy curve towards the later levels?

nooo check my other post, I had the game since Thursday :D

Since playing on Thursday I'm level 13.

Frostburn

Has anyone installed this to their 360 yet? Notice any improvement on load times? With the elite I tend to install most games I'm going to be playing for a while if it helps with the loading (Plus I love not hearing that DVD drive spin up). Please do a benchmark and post it for us to add to the OP!

Lothars

I will be buying this tomorrow for the 360, mainly because I can't resist buying it for the price that Wal-Mart here in canada is offering it.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Few pics from the launch with Gearbox in Plano.

Sorry, little guy moved too much and they're iPhone quality.
360 version seemed to be 4-1 vs PS3.
I picked it up for PS3.

15ceb7l.jpg

o87yma.jpg

2jeqtye.jpg

2vsjgop.jpg

Swag

Is that a Fallout 3 dude in the first pic?

I wish they had more of these developer parties on the east coast, the closest thing I've had is Bethesda signing copies of Elder Scrolls: Oblivion in Bethesda MD :lol

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Sebulon3k said:
Is that a Fallout 3 dude in the first pic?

I wish they had more of these developer parties on the east coast, the closest thing I've had is Bethesda signing copies of Elder Scrolls: Oblivion in Bethesda MD :lol
Yeah, they just stuck a Brutal Legend thing on him.

I just liked the idea of him attacking the FO3 guy considering their settings so I asked for a quick pose. :D

JambiBum

Only a level 3 so far (been playing about a half hour or so) and I gotta say, the game looks a lot nicer than I thought it would. Kudos to you GB.

Einbroch

Banned
The game also knows which characters are currently in the game world and drops loot accordingly. Awesome in many ways, but it has a drawback...

I play co-op with myself being Lilith and my roommate being Mord. Well, Mord uses snipers and pistols mostly, and Lilith doesn't have any "favorite" weapons. Because of this, 90% of the items that drop are snipers and pistols.

Great in some ways, but my roommate has some amazing snipers while I'm dinking around with some average SMGs and Rifles.

One of my few complaints so far.

Swag

Einbroch said:
The game also knows which characters are currently in the game world and drops loot accordingly. Awesome in many ways, but it has a drawback...

Great in some ways, but my roommate has some amazing snipers while I'm dinking around with some average SMGs and Rifles.

One of my few complaints so far.

As someone that's planning on playing Lillith this is very disheartening. How is the rate of weapon proficiency increase though, I'd imagine you can just use the awesome sniper rifles and such that are dropping and then switch back to SMGs later?

Is it just me, or is the default sensitivity like really, super high? (playing on 360). Bumped it down a notch so my head didn't spin as much.

Right now my level 7 Lilith is rocking a badass green SMG (on which I spent basically all of my money) and some random sniper. Still looking for a better secondary weapon to complement the SMG.

Initial impressions - game looks better than I expected it to, and feels great. I love the exaggerated jumping, so much so, that I looked through the control options for a Bumper Jumper equivalent (no luck). The guns are awesome, although I'm worthless with any gun that doesn't have a scope - are there any red dot sight type things for non-scoped weapons? This isn't really a knock against the game, I just play too much Halo, and always have trouble adjusting to iron sights.

Zzoram

How bad is the screen tearing? Is the PS3 version as good as the 360? I might get this just because it's $40 at Walmart Canada for their crazy promo sale (first Batman:AA, now this, go Walmart!) even though I'm not entirely sold on the gameplay.

Einbroch

Banned
Sebulon3k said:
As someone that's planning on playing Lillith this is very disheartening. How is the rate of weapon proficiency increase though, I'd imagine you can just use the awesome sniper rifles and such that are dropping and then switch back to SMGs later?
It's not incredibly fast but it's not too terribly slow, either.

I've probably put in 10 hours and I had 5 Pistol, 5 SMG, and 3 Rifle skill.

I have no idea what the max is, however.

Zzoram

Revengeance said:
Is it just me, or is the default sensitivity like really, super high? (playing on 360). Bumped it down a notch so my head didn't spin as much.

Right now my level 7 Lilith is rocking a badass green SMG (on which I spent basically all of my money) and some random sniper. Still looking for a better secondary weapon to complement the SMG.

Initial impressions - game looks better than I expected it to, and feels great. I love the exaggerated jumping, so much so, that I looked through the control options for a Bumper Jumper equivalent (no luck). The guns are awesome, although I'm worthless with any gun that doesn't have a scope - are there any red dot sight type things for non-scoped weapons? This isn't really a knock against the game, I just play too much Halo, and always have trouble adjusting to iron sights.

Ya me too, I hate iron sights. I love reticles. I think iron sights are the main reason I don't like CoD games. Luckily, Borderlands looks like it doesn't require pinpoint accuracy.

Eric WK

Revengeance said:

I had to do this too. I was scared the game was going to give me motion sickness at first.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Einbroch said:
It's not incredibly fast but it's not too terribly slow, either.

I've probably put in 10 hours and I had 5 Pistol, 5 SMG, and 3 Rifle skill.

I have no idea what the max is, however.
50 in each proficiency.

dallow_bg said:
Were you at the Plano store too?
Yes

Im heading to bed. Got my play with a developer achievement.. and got some phat loot from them :p But Im gonna hit the sack and play after work tomorrow.

My friend from GBX one shot Nine Toes.. :lol

JambiBum

Revengeance said:

The sensitivity did seem a bit high to me at first as well. I eventually just got used to it though and didn't bother changing it.

Buying this on launch of course but man there are too many games coming nowdays. I wouldn´t mind a couple of months without any new releases.

Zzoram

Does the melee combat of the Brick actually work well, or are guns stronger? That's been a big concern since I saw the announcement, because there are no melee weapons for him and he has to get really close to punch things. A powerful rifle at a distance seems like it would be way more effective, making the Brick's entire melee skill tree obsolete.

I really like seeing my friends online statuses on XBL and the unique crud they put in the title..

1 guy has "Playing Borderlands - Favorite Gun Mfg: Hyperion"
another has..
"Playing Borderlands - 1st Playthrough 21% complete"

Another has..

"Playing Borderlands - 420 total kills"

another has..

"Playing Borderlands - Needs help!" (Guessing he is playing alone)

Awesome.

Zzoram

TurtleSnatcher said:
I really like seeing my friends online statuses on XBL and the unique crud they put in the title..

1 guy has "Playing Borderlands - Favorite Gun Mfg: Hyperion"
another has..
"Playing Borderlands - 1st Playthrough 21% complete"

Another has..

"Playing Borderlands - 420 total kills"

another has..

"Playing Borderlands - Needs help!" (Guessing he is playing alone)

Awesome.

Ya I really like the status indicators on XBL, it's something I miss a lot when I'm on PSN. Most games will tell you if they're playing multiplayer or what specific level a person is playing.

Shoogoo

Look what I found in the mail this morning :D

9333_161393102179_541927179_2665117_1844375_n.jpg

And I'm european! I can't believe even on a strike, royal mail still delivers in working days.

I can't wait to play this baby

Zzoram

whatevermort said:
Is that a metal case? Or just the pic?

It looks like a cardboard sleeve. A lot of games/movies come with one over their normal plastic case, especially in Canada, because that's how they attach the French stuff. The French manual is often inside that sleeve if it won't fit in the case with the English manual.

Shoogoo

whatevermort said:
Is that a metal case? Or just the pic?

Sorry for the quality I took that with DSi and sent it via facebook because I was going mental.

Here is a better quality picture. It's not a metal case, it's a shiny cardboard protection

IMG_2035.jpg

Zzoram

I never understood why some games have cardboard sleeves if they don't have an extra manual attached.

Then while I was picking up my Uncharted 2 pre-order, they gave me a dented box with a ripped cover. I handed it back and asked for an undamaged one. He gave me another bad one before I got him to look for a good box.

Sean

Banned
The only reason they sometimes put those cardboard sleeves over a case is so they can have those fancy reflective logos on the front. When a customer is walking past the game aisle and something is shiny and catches his eye he's probably more likely to give it a look.

I hate those cardboard slip cover things.

Aptos

So after getting to level 27 I've got to say the lack of explanation is getting to me...

Example:
Roland's Deploy skill gives +20% "cooldown reduction" on his turret for every point spent in it. At 0/5 Deploy, it seems like the cooldown doesn't even start until the turrent has despawned, at which point it takes 100 seconds to cooldown (as listed on the turret skill). At 5/5 Deploy (i.e. "Cooldown reduction: +100%"), the cooldown starts immediately after the turret has deployed, and it takes exactly 60 seconds to cooldown. However, I have a class mod that gives +2 Deploy, and with it equiped it takes 50 seconds to cooldown (with 5/5 Deploy, essentially giving me 7/5 Deploy).

HOW DOES THIS MAKE ANY MATHEMATICAL SENSE?

P.S.: The only way I can make sense of this is if the standard "cooldown reduction" once you put a point into Deploy is 20 seconds. That way "cooldown reduction: +100%" means 40 seconds of "cooldown reduction," (100% of 20 is 20, and 20+20=40) and if I get +2 more to Deploy (i.e. 20% more cooldown reduction), I get "cooldown reduction +140%," (140% of 20 is 28, and 20+28=48~50...)

This game needs to come with a guide! And paying $20 for a Prima Guide is not what I mean; it needs to be included in-box...

Zzoram

Aptos said:
So after getting to level 27 I've got to say the lack of explanation is getting to me...

Example:
Roland's Deploy skill gives +20% "cooldown reduction" on his turret for every point spent in it. At 0/5 Deploy, it seems like the cooldown doesn't even start until the turrent has despawned, at which point it takes 100 seconds to cooldown (as listed on the turret skill). At 5/5 Deploy (i.e. "Cooldown reduction: +100%"), the cooldown starts immediately after the turret has deployed, and it takes exactly 60 seconds to cooldown. However, I have a class mod that gives +2 Deploy, and with it equiped it takes 50 seconds to cooldown (with 5/5 Deploy, essentially giving me 7/5 Deploy).

HOW DOES THIS MAKE ANY MATHEMATICAL SENSE?

P.S.: The only way I can make sense of this is if the standard "cooldown reduction" once you put a point into Deploy is 20 seconds. That way "cooldown reduction: +100%" means 40 seconds of "cooldown reduction," (100% of 20 is 20, and 20+20=40) and if I get +2 more to Deploy (i.e. 20% more cooldown reduction), I get "cooldown reduction +140%," (140% of 20 is 28, and 20+28=48~50...)

This game needs to come with a guide! And paying $20 for a Prima Guide is not what I mean; it needs to be included in-box...

Lack of game mechanic transparency is very annoying. It's much worse to the PC gamers that are used to knowing everything.

Neverfade

On the other hand, I have the hunter skill which is supposed to fire two bullets per pull of the trigger 40% of the time.

Using a semi-auto repeater, this does nothing. I'm using the gun that comes in the Gamestop exclusive gun-pack for reference. 5 points wasted right now. Wish I knew what the hell was going on.

game mechanic wise, just wait a couple weeks and everyone will have everything mapped out easily, no doubt. It's confusing now but we'll know soon enough.

Naeblish

What about the elemental modifier?

A sniper with 100 damage and x3 fire. Does it mean 300 fire damage, 100 normal damage + 300 fire damage or 3 times a percentage of the 100 base damage?

Alex

That's not that complicated, routinely talent trees, abilities, skill mods and multipliers can get pretty obnoxious with games with subsystems like these.

All that really took was a basic assumption that the default cooldown reduction from one point of that talent is 20 seconds, and additional ranks applies a percentage, which you added up and it looks right. Good, quick dissection.

You want to see REALLY fucked up talent/ability discussion in an RPG, I'll never forget shit like:

http://elitistjerks.com/f75/t42876-arcane_thread/

Most of that still makes sense to me, and that is so depressing.

Also: I want cardboard sleeves! Do we get one in the US. It's a really stupid thing to want but Bioshock had one, I want another! Same publisher!

Game is sooo good. Just had an over 3 hour 4 player epic. Got to level 12. Playing as Brick is awesome, I just switch on the fists and go to town.

xbl tag: robut

Rock Paper Shotgun review is in! (I've been waiting for their verdict.)

4 thumbs up, and some quotes:

Jim: Who wants to try to define the game in a single sentence then, eh?
Kieron: Hellgate in a desert, but not shit.
John: “Imagine if Far Cry 2 were fun.” That would be my pitch.

Jim: The force of personality thing: the game feels right as a shooter. The guns are meaty, the explosions boomy and that bads die in a satisfying way.
Kieron: That’s it’s strength.

Kieron: We really sound like we hate this game considering we all love it.
Alec: I think it’s more a matter of circling, unsure how to define why we like it
Jim: It’s genuinely entertaining, isn’t it?
Alec: Yeah, it makes that MMO/Diablo compulsion absolutely a virtue, in that you’re rewarded with something that has a visible and tactile rather than purely statistical improvement.

John: It’s a good shooter. That’s really significant. Name the last good shooter. It’s utterly beautiful to look at, you get stupidly powerful guns and after a few hours essentially infinite ammo, and you can just have a mad amount of fun running around shooting stuff.
Alec: Doom 2.
Jim: Kieron: Why is it a good shooter? I mean don’t you tire of shooters, traditionally?
Kieron: I do. In this case… well, one reason why it works as a shooter is that Gearbox have shooting experience. It’s why Hellgate failed on a fundamental level – it felt wrong, because when you go first person and/or direct control rather than indirect control, everything changes. Gearbox knew that, and levered all their experience with the genre into making it work. Hell, even look at the vehicles – it wouldn’t surprise me if they were repurposed code which they had lying around from the Halo PC Conversion. This is them putting all that experience they’ve got into a game which is actually still something of a new idea.

Jim: As a follow-up point, I don’t think the classes are distinct or characterful enough. Brick is the only one I’ve really felt stands out, if just for the screaming.
Kieron: I don’t know about Mordecai, Jim, but I’d say Brick and Lilith have plenty of personality when they level up. Alec and I were just playing now, with level 20 characters, and she’s running around with wings of flame while I’m a masturbatory screaming monkey-beast. I think the missing thing is that we haven’t played 4-player co-op at Level 20+.
Alec: Yeah, it started making a lot more sense there. Punchy and Flamey ride again. Which almost makes me wonder if it’s best played with two rather than four – more direct feedback to each other.
Jim: My problem with Mordecai is the bird often gets stuck, or just doesn’t seem to hit anything.
John: I have preferred playing 2-player over 3 or 4, too.
Alec: There’s less “wait for me, oh god no time to look at my new toys” panic with two, too. There’s just more space to stop and admire how ridiculous/incredible the other player is.
Kieron: Four can be a bit overwhelming, I’ll admit.

John: I must have my rant about the interface. For a game that boasts it understands that PC players use the mouse, and that it’s PC first, something went wrong. The game opens with “PRESS ENTER”. Mmm hmm? Then there’s so much that’s insane. You can only invite people with “i”, and you can only get out of the invite screen by pressing “ESC to cancel”. Comparing weapons can be started with the mouse, but only exited with the keyboard. And here 360 control icons appear in the inventory. You can’t click on the keyboard shortcuts to activate them. You cannot scroll through quest text when being given it without using Page Up and Page Down, despite there being a triangle button for the mouse… It’s not good.
Jim: Okay. The interface has botched itself between mouse and keyboard…
John: It’s not pretty. It’s like an all-encompassing tribute to the inability to close the VATS thing in FO3.
Alec: It’s certainly a mess, but I wonder if it’s just general RPG interface inexperience rather than specifically console-port-fail?

My hype levels have reached boiling point (no relation).

Top Bottom