• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Borderlands |OT| More guns than the population of the Netherlands

jabipun

elrechazao said:
I'm having trouble hitting anything with a pistol (I'm still level 2, so that's how far in I am). Maybe I'm just not used to iron sights or something but it seems off.

With pistols - and i actually think this is half of the benefit with pistols - is that you shouldn't be using iron-sight with pistols. Pistols usually have good accuracy and little recoil, making it possible to get well aimed shots via the regular aim. If your pistol has a sniper scope on it, that's a different story. So ultimately, using a pistol allows you to be pretty mobile during close range - allowing you to strafe around quickly.

In fact, I do better when I'm not using iron-sight with pistols. While for the other weapons, it's damn near mandatory to use it.

Lebron

elrechazao said:
I'm having trouble hitting anything with a pistol (I'm still level 2, so that's how far in I am). Maybe I'm just not used to iron sights or something but it seems off.
I had issues at first too till I got the lvl 3 pistol with the big ass zoom scope on it :lol

Blizzard

Banned
jabipun said:
So what do you guys think of your character choice so far?

I chose Hunter. And I think bloodwing (is hawk) is pretty slick. I'm at level 9 right now and it seems to be a one-hit kill on anything that isn't a boss or mini-boss. Pretty fast recharge too.

But on the other hand, the pistols feel/sound like peashooters in this game. Pisses me off, since I think pistols are badass and underused in FPS games (and the other weapons sound great) - which is half the reason I chose Hunter. The other half are for the snipers - obviously.
Obviously I haven't played it, but have you used a LOT of pistols so far? Most impressions are saying the guns sound really good (but maybe those aren't pistols) in general. You might have not found a cool machine-gun pistol or magnum yet.

SlickVic

This might be a random q but how does choosing a class affect the overall game? Obviously each class has their own special attacks and such but do NPC's, enemies treat you differently based on what class you are i.e. some enemies may not attack you as they would normally or some NPC's might give different converstations? Do different quests becomes available to different classes and/or any plot differences?

Just curious how much the game changes if you do multiple playthroughs with different class characters.

StUnNeR H2K

Picked up a copy at Wal-Mart on my lunch break... really starting to look forward to this game, especially with all the +'s and how addicting it is. Only a couple more hours then I'm out of the office!

Aptos said:
The fact that I have to collect and analyze data just to figure out how some of the subsystems work in this game is really irritating...

Welcome to the MMORPG world. Don't forget that this game is a hybrid.

Lebron

jabipun said:
But on the other hand, the pistols feel/sound like peashooters in this game. Pisses me off, since I think pistols are badass and underused in FPS games (and the other weapons sound great) - which is half the reason I chose Hunter. The other half are for the snipers - obviously.
The sounds are different for each pistol, well not each, but you know. Some sound like peashooters, some sound like baby SMGs, and others have a little more kick to it. At least that's my observation so far. Maybe you can get that desert eagle sounding one later in the game?

ahimothZero

Neo Member
elrechazao said:
I bought from amazon and got same day delivery despite not paying for it!

It's in my 360 as we speak :D

Well, thanks for not rubbing it in :p

Amazons delivery estimate for me is October 26th - November 2nd... but I can pick it up at Walmart today...

ahimothZero said:
Well, thanks for not rubbing it in :p

Amazons delivery estimate for me is October 26th - November 2nd... but I can pick it up at Walmart today...
I ordered from Amazon a few weeks ago, and mine shipped last night (will arrive tomorrow). Not sure what the hold up is for you.
Eric WK said:
Man, this really is the best game I've played this year. It's as good to play as it sounds on paper.
:D

Blizzard

Banned
squall211 said:
I want to see someone collect all 17+ million weapons.
Well you can only hold 42 pieces of loot of any sort, if I'm not mistaken...don't know if that includes random stuff like quest items though?

Side question, does anyone know any details about the other special PC feature? That review had complaints about the PC interface (that was supposedly improved over the console interface). But, I thought the PC version was also supposed to have some sort of weapon screenshot/JPG feature. Was it just something for screenshots (which you'd be able to do ingame anyway), or did it involve something more?

Xenon

Damn I was looking forward to picking this up tonight and playing. But my wife just wished me happy anniversary on facebook...dohhhh. So busted. Looks like its Chocolate covered strawberries and The Proposal for me this evening.

jabipun said:
With pistols - and i actually think this is half of the benefit with pistols - is that you shouldn't be using iron-sight with pistols. Pistols usually have good accuracy and little recoil, making it possible to get well aimed shots via the regular aim. If your pistol has a sniper scope on it, that's a different story. So ultimately, using a pistol allows you to be pretty mobile during close range - allowing you to strafe around quickly.

In fact, I do better when I'm not using iron-sight with pistols. While for the other weapons, it's damn near mandatory to use it.

Makes sense, good call.

FinKL

Xenon said:
Damn I was looking forward to picking this up tonight and playing. But my wife just wished me happy anniversary on facebook...dohhhh. So busted. Looks like its Chocolate covered strawberries and The Proposal for me this evening.

Or maybe it's a trick?! To see if you remember your REAL Anniversary date!

It sucks us PC users can't buy a console copy, save the receipt, and return it once PC is released/unlocked :(

Cahill

Banned
Xenon said:

Xenon
Here's your chocolate,
can we **** now?
(Today, 02:08 PM)
Reply | Quote

:lol So appropriate! :lol

vhfive

been play a couple of hours and having lots of fun, but i think i ran into a problem.
non story spoilers
for tk baha's life and limb quest i killed scar. but can't find tk's leg. i go to the marker but nothing's there

am i missing something or is it a glitch

EDIT: im dumb found it
where i killed scar

Ashodin

Xenon said:
:lol :lol
The Proposal is not actually that bad of a movie.

On Borderlands related notes, I really had a fun time last night that I played with it, the style of questing is seriously giving me WoW vibes, run out, kill this guy, come back, reward. :lol

Shoogoo

XBL games are kind of broken for me atm, I hope it's because there are only american games right now :/

Either it lags like hell or I loose connection.

bjaelke

Shoogoo said:
XBL games are kind of broken for me atm, I hope it's because there are only american games right now :/

Either it lags like hell or I loose connection.
We can try later, if you're up for it? I'm located in Denmark and will be ready after Champions League :)

Zzoram

Ogs said:
So has there been any word on PC DRM yet ?

If it's Gamespy it might be using Punkbuster for antihack, but no idea on DRM. I assume the Steam version will use Steam, and the retail version might use low level SecuROM which just checks for a disc in the tray.

I just want to know why Publishers decides to delay one platform against the others. Better question, why is the PC coming out next week instead of coming out along with the 360, Ps3 version?

WHY!!!!!!? ;[

Blizzard

Banned
Zzoram said:
If it's Gamespy it might be using Punkbuster for antihack, but no idea on DRM. I assume the Steam version will use Steam, and the retail version might use low level SecuROM which just checks for a disc in the tray.
I'm almost certain that it has been officially confirmed that the Steam version only uses Steam DRM. I believe retail PC releases use SecuROM, but yeah, that might just be the low-level disc check or discless play thing. I think I also read (via the same developer feedback comment or whatever) that they don't have any install limits on their SecuROM setup.

garath

So I finally found a stream of someone playing Brick. Looking pretty hot. Berserk is sweet! The regen doesn't make you invincible at that low of level but it's pretty close.

Add in some skills and Brick should be pretty godly. I'm now 50/50 on playing Brick vs Lilith. Tough choice.

Absinthe

Just wanted to post and say this game is sooo good! Got it at wal-mart 24 hour store last night and didn't get to sleep until 6 this morning.. :D Now I'm back at it.. Such a great game!!

Sorry to all the PC gamers who have to wait a week longer!! It will be worth it.

Poetic

I plan on picking this up tonight for PS3. I'll probably play solo to get a feel for the game first. But if anyone is interested in starting new characters tomorrow and doing some co-op from level 1+, I can do that. I'm off-work and will be able to play anytime past 11am tomorrow. I have a working mic as well.

My PSN is: Poetic-

imperium

Sorry if this has been asked previously but how is the PS3 version? Despite my significant backlog, I have a Walmart gift card burning a hole in my pocket and I’m tempted to pick it up after work.

Shoogoo

garath said:
So I finally found a stream of someone playing Brick. Looking pretty hot. Berserk is sweet! The regen doesn't make you invincible at that low of level but it's pretty close.

Add in some skills and Brick should be pretty godly. I'm now 50/50 on playing Brick vs Lilith. Tough choice.

They're both awesome, really. At first I wasn't much interested in Mordecai but he's pretty fun to play too.

The one disappointing me so far is the soldier, that turret disappearing after a couple of seconds is meh-ish.

Blizzard

Banned
I'm pretty sure missions count for everyone, but I don't know if you have to be in at the start of the mission or not. *edit* Apparently wrong?

Question for the 360/PS3 people: I assume everyone (PC/PS3/360) will be playing on different servers, and there aren't user-hosted servers available, but how's the lag in general, if you're in the U.S.? Not noticeable in general when in co-op mode?

slasher_thrasher21 said:
Real quick question. If I join a buddies games, does the mission progress only count for him or for my game as well?
It is his game and only his game. You are playing with him in his own world. I kind of don't like that since you have to kind of synchronize with buddies. or just play with the person with the lowest level.

Raelson

Labombadog said:
I just want to know why Publishers decides to delay one platform against the others. Better question, why is the PC coming out next week instead of coming out along with the 360, Ps3 version?

WHY!!!!!!? ;[
In hopes that pirates will go out and buy the game because they can't wait.

Jim

imperium said:
Sorry if this has been asked previously but how is the PS3 version? Despite my significant backlog, I have a Walmart gift card burning a hole in my pocket and I’m tempted to pick it up after work.

Put quite a few hours into it last night, and it seems the same as the 360 version to me. Nice and smooth in single player, but the framerate chugged a bit here and there when playing co-op. Seemed to depend on the connection of those who joined my game. It was stable though!

Surprised at how many people were around last night.

And playing the same sections in single player and co-op, it seems that enemies take/give more damage in co-op. There's not just more of them.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
So what's the word on installing the game on 360? Any noticeable improvements?

Zzoram

Jim said:
Put quite a few hours into it last night, and it seems the same as the 360 version to me. Nice and smooth in single player, but the framerate chugged a bit here and there when playing co-op. Seemed to depend on the connection of those who joined my game. It was stable though!

Did you play both?

Blizzard

Banned
ThaiGrocer said:
It is his game and only his game. You are playing with him in his own world. I kind of don't like that since you have to kind of synchronize with buddies. or just play with the person with the lowest level.
So wait, do you have to START a quest with someone else at the same time? What do you mean about playing with the person of the lowest level in order to get quest credit?

Top Bottom