• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Borderlands |OT| More guns than the population of the Netherlands

Jim

Zzoram said:
Did you play both?

Only the review code on an XDK (from 2 weeks ago). Didn't notice anything obviously different in single player. The game feels super weird after playing Uncharted 2 non-stop for the past week though.

dorkimoe

played 360 version for 3 hours

i picked the wrong character but was to lazy to start over :(

i dont like how it didnt show me the pictures before i selected

I ended up being the big fat tank.

The games pretty awesome, got hooked on leveling and doing the quests. Got some good loot, cant wait to see what else we can get.

Philthy

Blizzard said:
So wait, do you have to START a quest with someone else at the same time? What do you mean about playing with the person of the lowest level in order to get quest credit?

I think he means its typically the lower level people who need help progressing, so it's their game you're going to be joining more than not, since you already did those quests before.

Sephon

dorkimoe said:

What? They're all there in the bus before you select and they're even introduced like 2 seconds before. And I believe the camera zooms on the one you select even...

poweld

Sephon said:
What? They're all there in the bus before you select and they're even introduced like 2 seconds before. And I believe the camera zooms on the one you select even...
Correct, then incorrect. It shows a little icon next to the one you've highlighted, and begins talking about that character.

I agree, though, this was not exactly difficult to notice. If her really couldn't tell... sigh.

Blizzard said:
So wait, do you have to START a quest with someone else at the same time? What do you mean about playing with the person of the lowest level in order to get quest credit?
So you just drop in and out of your buddies game. It's only their game and not yours. So if I were near the end of the story and you drop in, it doesn't mean your own game will move to that point when you play single player.

BigAT

Does anyone know if there's any plan of a demo/trial for the PC version? I'm not sure if it will run smoothly on my computer and I'd like to at least have any idea before I plunk down the money. I've never been a big fan of trusting system reqs in the past, especially since they don't appear to have a minimum and optimal listing for this.

Jim said:
Only the review code on an XDK (from 2 weeks ago). Didn't notice anything obviously different in single player. The game feels super weird after playing Uncharted 2 non-stop for the past week though.

I just watched the GT review and it actually piqued my interest quite a bit since I think this game would be perfect for me and my brother. I just finished Uncharted as well though and I was a bit worried it might make a lot of the releases I am excited about feel odd. What stuck out to you the most just the presentation or what?

stupid PC release ;(

Oh well. i need to finish Demon's souls and uncharted 2.

what exactly is the zombie DLC?

is it just an arena or an addon to a new area to play in?

Will definitely be picking this up today. So, just wanted to confirm: the 2-player splitscreen is separate from the 4-player online? i.e. I can't play 4 player online with two of the players on the same system?

dorkimoe said:
played 360 version for 3 hours

i picked the wrong character but was to lazy to start over :(

The games pretty awesome, got hooked on leveling and doing the quests. Got some good loot, cant wait to see what else we can get.

what do you mean it didn't show you the pictures? You pick at the point where you're looking at all four characters...

Blizzard

Banned
ThaiGrocer said:
So you just drop in and out of your buddies game. It's only their game and not yours. So if I were near the end of the story and you drop in, it doesn't mean your own game will move to that point when you play single player.
Oh, hmm. I guess I was thinking that the "story" was largely a series of quests you could complete in somewhat random order, and if you completed a quest, anyone who hasn't done it gets credit for it.

So you're saying that if I join a high-level player I can play his high-level quest, but then when I unlock that quest myself I'll have to complete it again?

garath

greendublin said:
Will definitely be picking this up today. So, just wanted to confirm: the 2-player splitscreen is separate from the 4-player online? i.e. I can't play 4 player online with two of the players on the same system?

Correct.. splitscreen can't go online yet.

ThaiGrocer said:
Blizzard said:
Oh, hmm. I guess I was thinking that the "story" was largely a series of quests you could complete in somewhat random order, and if you completed a quest, anyone who hasn't done it gets credit for it.

So you're saying that if I join a high-level player I can play his high-level quest, but then when I unlock that quest myself I'll have to complete it again?

I am now more confused

garath

ThaiGrocer said:

I think this is incorrect. Your CHARACTER is saved with certain quests done. If you jump into a buddy's game you can do quests and they will be done on your character as well. "Main questline" quests can only be completed if you have the appropriate pre-requisite quests done so in that regard, if you jump into someone's game that is further ahead in the "main quest" you won't be able to progress. But any sidequests you do will be done for your character.

daycru

vhfive said:
been play a couple of hours and having lots of fun, but i think i ran into a problem.
non story spoilers
for tk baha's life and limb quest i killed scar. but can't find tk's leg. i go to the marker but nothing's there

am i missing something or is it a glitch

EDIT: im dumb found it
where i killed scar
I can't even find Scar. I get right here:
Photoon2009-10-20at1523.jpg
but can't figure out how to get the bridge down.

bjaelke

daycru said:
I can't even find Scar. I get right here: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v21/crumbleykid/Photoon2009-10-20at1523.jpg[IMG] but can't figure out how to get the bridge down.[/QUOTE]
You have to go around (look on the map).

I haven't been this excited about picking up a new game since the original Gears back in 2006.... Can't wait to get off work, swing by Gamestop, and have a co-op session tonight!

The end of the workday cannot come soon enough!!!

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Gonna' have to say that this game has some serious issues with collision and shooting. There have been numerous times where I've poured gunshot after gunshot, and headshot after headshot into an enemy near or far...and the shots just don't register. Nothing. With my sniper I unloaded 6 bullets into a bandit from a distance...nothing. Another six bullets right to the head from a few yards away...nothing. Four bullets point blank? Jack. Shit. And I'm not a bad shot, either -- I'm actually quite lethal with snipers in almost any FPS and I swear headshots are my forte. And it's not that I'm missing these shots, because even if I aim and shoot at the body...I still get no response or health depletion out of them.

What in the fuck is wrong with this game? I ended up whipping the knife out and stabbing the motherfucker after he totally depleted my shield and part of my health. This has been happening way too frequently. It's a little ridiculous and totally bothering the hell out of me.

Thanks Garath!

I've got 2 buddies to play with and working on a fourth, if we are compiling a list of online players in the OP add me to it as I may need another player to fill out our crew.

Sceren

Neo Member
AlphaSnake said:
Gonna' have to say that this game has some serious issues with collision and shooting. I've poured gunshot after gunshot, and headshot after headshot into an enemy near or far...and the shots just don't register. Nothing. With my sniper I unloaded 6 bullets into a bandit from a distance...nothing. Another six bullets right to the head from a few yards away...nothing. Four bullets point blank? Jack. Shit.

What in the fuck is wrong with this game? I ended up whipping the knife out and stabbing the motherfucker after he totally depleted my shield and part of my health. This has been happening way too frequently. It's a little ridiculous and totally bothering the hell out of me.

That's really weird. I've watched probably close to 4 hours of gameplay now and never noticed or saw anyone complain about it... Maybe save, and reload?

Blizzard said:

I might be wrong. Just watched IGN video review saying that progress is transferred from MP to SP along with XP and loot you collect. But in what way? Review notes that players have to generally have to be at the same part of the game if they want to do story missions together. Uh oh!

Baker

Banned
AlphaSnake said:
Gonna' have to say that this game has some serious issues with collision and shooting. There have been numerous times where I've poured gunshot after gunshot, and headshot after headshot into an enemy near or far...and the shots just don't register. Nothing. With my sniper I unloaded 6 bullets into a bandit from a distance...nothing. Another six bullets right to the head from a few yards away...nothing. Four bullets point blank? Jack. Shit. And I'm not a bad shot, either -- I'm actually quite lethal with snipers in almost any FPS and I swear headshots are my forte. And it's not that I'm missing these shots, because even if I aim and shoot at the body...I still get no response or health depletion out of them.

I haven't figured out if sniper bullets follow an arc trajectory, but you're right on one thing, there is a definite "enemy too far away" point where bullets do not make contact. I've only played for an hour max, so maybe once you get better guns and stats, it changes a bit.

hulot

AlphaSnake said:
This is a stat-based FPS. I haven't had a problem with getting hits, just keep an eye on the accuracy stat which controls random bullet spread in addition to weapon type. I get headshots most of the time with my 95 acc sniper rifle but miss a lot even at medium range when firing my 70 acc smg.

Sceren

Neo Member
Baker said:
I haven't figured out if sniper bullets follow an arc trajectory, but you're right on one thing, there is a definite "enemy too far away" point where bullets do not make contact. I've only played for an hour max, so maybe once you get better guns and stats, it changes a bit.

Good to know, now I wont waste my clips of ammo figuring it out on my own :lol

Yackie

How are the quests in this game? Are they fun? I'm on the fence about picking up this game. Just running around and killing things for loot would get old for me unless there some sort of interesting quests or some story to go with it.

AlphaSnake said:

Weird, I've played a few hours and have gotten to about Lvl. 16 and have never encountered this issue. I've missed a few headshots here and there, but I usually just hit him in the head with the second bullet whilst missing the first.

Is there a GAF tag for this game BTW?

EDIT: There's a link in the OP.

Cahill

Banned
MidnightRider said:
So quick question that I know has been asked 1000 times.

Say my dude is a level 6 in Single player......... when I join an Online Co-op do I have to start a new dude for that or will my Level 6 single player guy come?

You can use him single or multi

Baker said:

It really doesn't. Even with like 10 on proficiency and really rare snipers, you're still going to go 'wtf' when you have your reticle placed clearly on an enemies' head and it just...misses.

Firestorm

Meh, there are too many of my friends getting this game. Don't think I can have a real coherent "single" player experience as we'll all be at different spots jumping into each others games.

AlphaSnake

Well, after doing some digging, I'm not the only one who's experienced this. I generally don't read other reviews, but the IGN review mentioned the same problem I'm experiencing where gunshots make no contact sometimes, even at close/point-blank range.

Occasionally you'll wind up in absurd situations where you're unloading a string of headshots while standing toe-to-toe with foes and still not bringing them down...

Zertez

SuperAwesome said:
It really doesn't. Even with like 10 on proficiency and really rare snipers, you're still going to go 'wtf' when you have your reticle placed clearly on an enemies' head and it just...misses.
I have noticed the opposite. As I have leveled up, it has got better, but it is still not great at long distances. I have not noticed any bad hit detection up close yet. At first I wasted a few clips trying for headshots at long distances, but the missed. I still can not connect at very long distances, but I can hit things more often, about 30 feet further now.

Zertez said:
I have noticed the opposite. As I have leveled up, it has got better, but it is still not great at long distances. I have not noticed any bad hit detection up close yet. At first I wasted a few clips trying for headshots at long distances, but the missed. I still can not connect at very long distances, but I can hit things more often, about 30 feet further now.

I was mainly referring to headshots, and they really do have wonky hit conditions after playing for 37 levels...

K' Dash

Blizzard said:

Want to know this too.

Blizzard

Banned
AlphaSnake said:

Turns out a game full of guns has the worst hit detection ever. Worst game ever, confirmed. Preorder cancelled! I'm glad they delayed the game so us PC gamers could learn how bad it was!

Just kidding. But it's a pity if that problem is in the PC version everywhere and they don't patch it. I know someone mentioned this game isn't hitscan so bullets presumably arc, but that wouldn't explain close-up shots missing.

For everyone who's had problems, are they also there in single-player, offline?

Baker

Banned
Blizzard said:
Turns out a game full of guns has the worst hit detection ever. Worst game ever, confirmed. Preorder cancelled! I'm glad they delayed the game so us PC gamers could learn how bad it was!

Just kidding. But it's a pity if that problem is in the PC version everywhere and they don't patch it. I know someone mentioned this game isn't hitscan so bullets presumably arc, but that wouldn't explain close-up shots missing.

I haven't had any problems with up close battles using pistols or shotguns. Long distance sniper shots are a bit wonky though, like I said.

*Single player

FinKL

Was thinking of making Lilith first, but thinking about end game already, based on skills alone, wouldn't Mordecai be more of the "magic finder" of the group with his Ransack skill? I mean, if you're about to kill a boss, maybe you should leave some weaker enemies around and then kill them to trigger the Ransack skill for a 100% chance to spawn additional boss loot?

BTW, if any Best Buy's or Fry's has this to play on their concession stands, let us know :D

Dizzle24

Blizzard said:

PS3 version here. I've noticed a few times while sniping those Skaggs from atop a rock.
It only happened a few times, but I was like WTF? Haven't had any issues with the human enemies or with any other weapons at all.

Baker

Banned
Dizzle24 said:
PS3 version here. I've noticed a few times while sniping those Skaggs from atop a rock.
It only happened a few times, but I was like WTF? Haven't had any issues with the human enemies or with any other weapons at all.
Mostly opposite for me...

I've only magically missed skags maybe two times. Humans I can't headshot until they've already noticed me and start running forward.

AlphaSnake

Blizzard said:

Happens near or far. I've missed shots straight to an enemy's torso while he's right in front of me, nevermind the head. It's extremely annoying - and the sniper rifle Mordecai starts out with has a precision of nearly 98%. There is 2% room for error, but not when you've literally unloaded over 15 shots and didn't connect once. :|

Top Bottom