• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Borderlands |OT| More guns than the population of the Netherlands

Dipper145

Can anyone explain how the damage on guns work? I see green arrows up, but the damage number itself is lower. But it flashes between the damage and a multiplier, like X2,X3,X4 etc. Does this mean it (say X4 multiplier with the 19 damage) does 19x4 damage? Or is it a higher chance of something happening?

It's got me confused.

Yeah, so I love this game. Coop on 360 worked flawlessly. Playing as sniper, I've had 4 good sniper rifles drop, and a badass pistol that was better than the one from nine toes before I even got to him. Been using it a lot as gunslinger spec.

Xevren

When the number is flashing to a x2 or x3 that means that's how many bullets it shoots at once, which is usually why it's mainly shotguns that display that. The arrows are there because it's comparing what you have out at the moment, so if the green arrow is pointing up then it's better than what you are using. You can do a manual compare type deal in the inventory screen as well, which is better anyway.

elrechazao said:
Yeah, so I love this game. Coop on 360 worked flawlessly. Playing as sniper, I've had 4 good sniper rifles drop, and a badass pistol that was better than the one from nine toes before I even got to him. Been using it a lot as gunslinger spec.

So a Repeater still counts as a Pistol on Mordecai's skill tree, right? It doesn't need to be a revolver?

Xevren

If anyone in the low to mid 20's wants to group up hit me up. I'm a 25 siren and wouldn't mind playing some co-op. GT is Xevren11 will be on for awhile here shortly.

Zzoram

g35twinturbo said:
in terms of game play or online play?

I had 1 really good online play with a guy with no mic but he would never heal lol so he died quick

What about performance? Frame rate and tearing.

YagizY

The PS3 version has some framerate issues when soloing. I had about 4-5 skags coming after me as well as a human enemy and things really slowed down a bit. I fear for how slow it can potentially get in a 4 player match.

Online still borked.

My warm fuzzy feeling about this game and supporting Gearbox is beginning to diminish a bit. This game will be as good as advertised when some patches trickle out but it really is a shame how sloppy it is right now. Just because the PS3 has a smaller user base shouldn't allow developers to turn in sloppier material. Disappointed in Gearbox for this one but hopefully the game will truly shine once we get some patches.

With all this being said, I hope fellow PS3'ers will stick to it and not jump ship to the 360 version, I look forward to playing with all of you.

Zzoram

YagizY said:
The PS3 version has some framerate issues when soloing. I had about 4-5 skags coming after me as well as a human enemy and things really slowed down a bit. I fear for how slow it can potentially get in a 4 player match.

Online still borked.

My warm fuzzy feeling about this game and supporting Gearbox is beginning to diminish a bit. This game will be as good as advertised when some patches trickle out but it really is a shame how sloppy it is right now. Just because the PS3 has a smaller user base shouldn't allow developers to turn in sloppier material. Disappointed in Gearbox for this one but hopefully the game will truly shine once we get some patches.

With all this being said, I hope fellow PS3'ers will stick to it and not jump ship to the 360 version, I look forward to playing with all of you.

I'm sticking to it because I don't trust my 360 to survive the year. Did you play Sacred 2 on 360? Is the PS3 framerate ever as bad as that game was? I somehow managed to play it for like 25 hours even though it performed like garbage and gave me headaches.

YagizY

Zzoram said:
I'm sticking to it because I don't trust my 360 to survive the year.

I feel you on that, my warranty ends this November and I've RROD'ed once already. Unfortunately they sent me an even louder and older refurb :(

RS4-

The AI is really puzzling lol, sometimes one guy would shoot me while two dudes next to him stood around as if nothing was happening; only to attack me as soon as I take a shot.

Other times where it feels like you get stuck in the environment (cliffs, rock faces for example).

The POV feels really close :(

Whoever mentioned something about the driving, I don't like it that much either; but it does make taking out mobs a lot easier :lol

Blizzard said:
So apparently SOME people are having issues, and maybe it is a server issue (rargh non-dedicated servers), but it certainly is not everyone, or at least, wasn't... At least try keeping your copy for a few days before returning it, maybe?

If it was just the connectivity issues, I'd hold onto it. Of course they're going to patch it. The problem is that it kinda runs bad in some spots, enough to give me a headache after some play time. Again, by bad I mean that it sometimes gets into the teens with it's framerate. One duel that I had was unplayable: neither myself or the other player could hit each other because of how bad the frames were skipping.

Besides that, I really find this game to be boring. It's no fun to have awesome guns if you're enemies suck. The missions are terrible; they're either fetch quests or assassinations. The world isn't fun to explore, backtracking is a bitch, and the vehicles handle like they weigh 2 pounds and are on ice. Add that to a shitty trade system and players who are just running ahead of the pack to get all the loot, mashing SQUARE SQUARE SQUARE SQUARE...It's just not for me. On the plus side, though: I really dig the art style.

Like I said, it's my first disappointment of the year. I don't wish to shit on anyone's parade: if this game does something for you then that's all that matters. For me, though, it just doesn't cut it.

Freedom = $1.05 said:
If it was just the connectivity issues, I'd hold onto it. Of course they're going to patch it. The problem is that it kinda runs bad in some spots, enough to give me a headache after some play time. Again, by bad I mean that it sometimes gets into the teens with it's framerate. One duel that I had was unplayable: neither myself or the other player could hit each other because of how bad the frames were skipping.

Besides that, I really find this game to be boring. It's no fun to have awesome guns if you're enemies suck. The missions are terrible; they're either fetch quests or assassinations. The world isn't fun to explore, backtracking is a bitch, and the vehicles handle like they weigh 2 pounds and are on ice. Add that to a shitty trade system and players who are just running ahead of the pack to get all the loot, mashing SQUARE SQUARE SQUARE SQUARE...It's just not for me. On the plus side, though: I really dig the art style.

Like I said, it's my first disappointment of the year. I don't wish to shit on anyone's parade: if this game does something for you then that's all that matters. For me, though, it just doesn't cut it.

Just curious what kind of quests you would rather see in a game like this?

AwRy108

Wow, according to the Gearbox forums, there's lots of people unable to play co-op on the PS3 version.

Sadly, even if the issues can be fixed by a patch, it could be weeks until it arrives because of the lengthy certification process.

I bought this game strictly for the co-op play, so my copy from Amazon is staying shrink-wrapped until I'm certain the connectivity issues are fixed.

What a damn shame, especially for the loyal fans who already ripped the shrink wrap off their copies.

Oh well, at least Uncharted 2's multiplayer is terrific :)

AwRy108

Freedom = $1.05 said:

Did you see these framerates online or off? If the former, then they could easily be related to the major connection issues people are having.

Blizzard

Banned
Well that's a pity if it's a more widespread problem, as it sounds like. I guess that's one advantage of having a beta like the Uncharted 2 multiplayer one...they got to test their servers with some load before everyone got the game. If the PC version does the same thing I will be a sad panda.

Blizzard said:
Well that's a pity if it's a more widespread problem, as it sounds like. I guess that's one advantage of having a beta like the Uncharted 2 multiplayer one...they got to test their servers with some load before everyone got the game. If the PC version does the same thing I will be a sad panda.

360 has been flawless so far if that's worth anything. I would hope that pc would be the best online.

elrechazao said:
Just curious what kind of quests you would rather see in a game like this?

I guess it isn't so much the quests as how they're presented. I loved doing coop in Demon's Souls, just to give an example. It was challenging, the enemies were tough and intelligent, and the world which you were in had a tremendous air to it. I know, it's a crap comparison. But this game doesn't inspire me to play more the way that game did. The quests aren't fun, IMHO. I guess this game just didn't *click* for me. Again, if it works for you then that's terrific. I just wanted to give my take on the game.

AwRy108 said:
Did you see these framerates online or off? If the former, then they could easily be related to the major connection issues people are having.

It was online with 3 other players. The issues was not lag, though. Lag wouldn't give me a headache. It was when things would get hairy, like if we were fighting a large group of bugs or a bunch of thugs. Then again, it also dropped really bad in other spots, like when I was in a vehicle with another player or when dueling. It chugs, no doubt about it. It stayed fairly stable when it was just me and one other guy, though. *walks away from thread*

Freedom = $1.05 said:
I guess it isn't so much the quests as how they're presented. I loved doing coop in Demon's Souls, just to give an example. It was challenging, the enemies were tough and intelligent, and the world which you were in had a tremendous air to it. I know, it's a crap comparison. But this game doesn't inspire me to play more the way that game did. The quests aren't fun, IMHO. I guess this game just didn't *click* for me. Again, if it works for you then that's terrific. I just wanted to give my take on the game. *walks away from thread*

Well, I wasn't attacking you, just curious.

AwRy108 said:

Low framerate is pretty easily distinguished from severe lag. You can have a framerate of 60 FPS and still have people teleporting around all over the place, that's what a COD4 match with one bar of latency is like.

But when framerate drops like that its definitely hardware site, not network side.

elrechazao said:
Well, I wasn't attacking you, just curious.

Naw, I didn't take it as an attack :lol. It was a good question, and I was stumped as to how to answer it, too. I just don't want to be labeled a troll or anything; I paid $60 like a lot of you folks hoping that I would fall in love with this game. I'm bummed out about it, really.

Prezhulio

my copy arrives tomorrow and i'm already lethargic about the purchase because of reading about a fucked up ps3 experience in my future. hopefully it's not as bad as people are making it out to be. sigh.

zedge said:
:lol

Just checked out the Gearbox forums.. what a gong show. Good job on the PS3 version.. morons.

Wow you sound like a douche.

Their community manager has already responded saying they are looking into the issue and trying to track down the exact issue so they can get a fix out.

At least they care unlike half the other developers who will fucking shut you off (Good example - Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising)

zedge

TurtleSnatcher said:
Wow you sound like a douche.

Their community manager has already responded saying they are looking into the issue and trying to track down the exact issue so they can get a fix out.

At least they care unlike half the other developers who will fucking shut you off (Good example - Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising)

I'm a douche? Because I paid my money for their game that should not even be at retail in this shape? Kindly go fuck yourself. We'll see how soon this so called patch comes out.

I should know better anyway with multi plat games on PS3, its the same shit time and time again.

Back to Uncharted 2.

zedge said:
I'm a douche? Because I paid my money for their game that should not even be at retail in this shape? Kindly go fuck yourself. We'll see how soon this so called patch comes out.

Then return it you dumb twat..

You have been posting for the past 2 hours asking if you should open yours.. And obviously you haven't seen you kept asking all the way up until your latest post..

We aren't blind.. we can see your dumbass "IS IT GOODZ ON PS3 LOLZ I DONT WANNA OPEN IT" posts over and over.

Return it then.

Jonsoncao

Banned
262umgn.jpg

this is so awesome...

zedge said:

I should know better anyway with multi plat games on PS3, its the same shit time and time again.

Back to Uncharted 2.

Gearbox won't leave us in the lurch. And sadly, you are coming off a tad douchey. Just relax, keep playing Uncharted and soon enough, this issue will be resolved.

Christ, and to think people had to wait months for outdated news to traverse the globe in Victorian times. We're looking at a couple of weeks, max. If people can't wait that long for the developers to rectify these bugs - granted, it should have been caught - then once again a sad indictment of gamers in the internet age is reinforced; tarring the entire gaming hobby with whiney impatience.

verio

Picked up the 360 version... and wow... such a great game.

It could possibly be my GOTY. Yeah, I think it's that good.

ZZMitch

Is lilith a shotgun master or something?

All my shotguns show the normal damage (9 or 15 etc) then flash a x9 or x11 meaning I have super powerful shotguns that can one hit anything.... Its pretty hilarious actually.

zedge

TurtleSnatcher said:
Then return it you dumb twat..

You have been posting for the past 2 hours asking if you should open yours.. And obviously you haven't seen you kept asking all the way up until your latest post..

We aren't blind.. we can see your dumbass "IS IT GOODZ ON PS3 LOLZ I DONT WANNA OPEN IT" posts over and over.

Return it then.

Wow.. so sensitive.

I don't want to return it, I would actually like to play it, on the PS3. I am holding out for more impressions from other PS3 users.

As for your I DONT WANNA open it comment, I said that once.

Unicorn

I'm so addicted to this game. I passed out and slept for my entire shift I should've been at work. Now I have to deal with a no call-no show at work tomorrow.

Alex

I've played lots tonight on PS3, friends list is an ass but, it's great fun. The server browser is a little slow but I've yet to have any crashes.

They'll fix it up shortly, I'm sure. No need to freak out into an unreadable thread like the BF1943 one when a couple server issues occured. =/

Flunkie

Banned
Holy shit, this game is awesome. I picked up an Incendiary Sniper and a Hunting Shotgun that's practically a sniper rifle because of how badass it was. The weapons make this game.

I love it.

verio

Unicorn said:
I'm so addicted to this game. I passed out and slept for my entire shift I should've been at work. Now I have to deal with a no call-no show at work tomorrow.

Haha. This is definitely THAT type of game. I know I'll be thinking about playing tomorrow while I'm at work.

Top Bottom