• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Borderlands |OT| More guns than the population of the Netherlands

poweld

ZZMitch said:
Is lilith a shotgun master or something?

All my shotguns show the normal damage (9 or 15 etc) then flash a x9 or x11 meaning I have super powerful shotguns that can one hit anything.... Its pretty hilarious actually.
Erm, I'm glad you're rocking and all, but I believe the multiplier on the shotguns are due to the nature of a shotgun. The damage shown is the amount per shot, the multiplier for the number of shots in each shell.

x9 means each shot spreads out 9 shots, x11 means 11 shots, etc. Hate to burst your bubble :)

teekun

Pylon_Trooper said:
Gearbox won't leave us in the lurch. And sadly, you are coming off a tad douchey. Just relax, keep playing Uncharted and soon enough, this issue will be resolved.

Christ, and to think people had to wait months for outdated news to traverse the globe in Victorian times. We're looking at a couple of weeks, max. If people can't wait that long for the developers to rectify these bugs - granted, it should have been caught - then once again a sad indictment of gamers in the internet age is reinforced; tarring the entire gaming hobby with whiney impatience.

Exactly. Bugs happen, unfortunately. We've got the developers themselves confirming that they are on top of it and are trying to find the cause so they can fix it. Obviously something like this shouldn't have made it into the released version of the game, but shit happens. Calling them "morons" because something slipped through QA is pretty uncalled-for.

zedge

Pylon_Trooper said:
Gearbox won't leave us in the lurch. And sadly, you are coming off a tad douchey. Just relax, keep playing Uncharted and soon enough, this issue will be resolved.

Christ, and to think people had to wait months for outdated news to traverse the globe in Victorian times. We're looking at a couple of weeks, max. If people can't wait that long for the developers to rectify these bugs - granted, it should have been caught - then once again a sad indictment of gamers in the internet age is reinforced; tarring the entire gaming hobby with whiney impatience.

Fair enough. I have said my piece, and will complain no more. However, its not necessarily whiney impatience, more expecting a product that works how it should. The moron comment was a bit much, I admit.

Yeah, echoing what most people have said, REALLY surprised with this game. I wasn't expecting much but the theme and concept had me give it a shot. I played about 4 hours tonight, hosting a room with randoms coming and going, it was some of the most fun I've had on XBL.

Really nails that "just one more mission" vibe. Definitely a dangerous game to start if you've only got an hour or so to burn. It'll end up being longer.

PS3 owners should know what to expect from 3rd parties by now. Especially non-gargantuan devs like gearbox. The money just isn't there to devote to it.

Unicorn

TurtleSnatcher said:
:lol
Wow dude.. Hardcore :lol
Yeah. Was planning an all-nighter, but around 7 a.m. I took a break and just passed out and before I knew it I was waking up around 1 p.m. and beating myself about it, then I rolled over and saw Borderlands was still on, so I decided to keep going since my friend just got out of class and he came over and we did co-op all day.

Level 21 is nice, but it's about time I get that acid shotgun I've been searching for.

Alex

It's just server stuff, they may not even need an actual patch.

That aside, I am really stumped over what talents I'll take for my Siren. It's hard to pick, really hard. They seem a little more muddled for this class.

How do the enemy respawns work? Every time you die, even if you're in a dungeon, they all respawn?
Because that's the behavior I witnessed today and it's HORRIBLE. Who the fuck thought that would be a good idea?

I'm HOPING it was something else that caused those enemies to respawn but having to fight your way back out of the dungeon you just fought your way into (and supposedly cleared out) is fucking retarded. I really hope it's not like that for the rest of the game.

ZZMitch

poweld said:
Erm, I'm glad you're rocking and all, but I believe the multiplier on the shotguns are due to the nature of a shotgun. The damage shown is the amount per shot, the multiplier for the number of shots in each shell.

x9 means each shot spreads out 9 shots, x11 means 11 shots, etc. Hate to burst your bubble :)

Damn, your probably right :lol

I still feel like a badass though! One of my shotguns has a halo bruteshot like melee attachment too... so fun

Unicorn

Alex said:
It's just server stuff, they may not even need an actual patch.

That aside, I am really stumped over what talents I'll take for my Siren. It's hard to pick, really hard. They seem a little more muddled for this class.

Yeah, I didn't read her tree that well and thought the Venom stuff applied to all her attacks, but only melee... So that changes my playstyle a bit.

Seems odd so much of her stuff is melee considering how weak she seems. Good thing I chose to rock the shotguns and short range SMG's to better accommodate that.

I had an SMG that was shooting 2 bullets every round and had such awesome accuracy - too bad the damage sucked.

I like the idea of finding which gun just pours out the most bullets ever.

My brother and I just did about 5 hours of coop split screen straight. I like this game. I like it a lot actually. My one gripe is I wish the scoped sights on the assault rifles didnt cover your whole screen.

Alex

All of my third party PS3 games work flawlessly, this isn't 2006. The last game that gave me any trouble was, dun dun dun, BF1943 360, which was outright broken for a week+

I'm not sure if they've improved over the years, I barely play PC games that deal with them anymore, but the old PC gamer in me wants to blame GameSpy servers on any issues, which is what they're using. I'd assume the 360 ones go through XBL for matchmaking instead of an open system like that.

Teknoman

Damn you 2k games! Damn you and your holding the PC version till next week. Exams always seem to fall on the release date of a game that has great/addictive MP.

Chromax

My PS3 version works, just have to wait a bit for the servers to load.

Should I only stick to sniper rifle and pistol for hunter?

Husker86

I have no idea how I haven't heard of this game, but I'm picking it up at work tomorrow night, assuming it's still in stock. This might be the first time I get a multiplat game on my 360 though, disappointed by what I've heard about the PS3 version :(

Brannon

Yeah this game is awesome. I found a shotgun that shoots rockets, but it was inaccurate as hell. So I had to settle for a combat rifle. With exploding bullets. Goddamn.

Tried to hang with a bunch of Level 20's at Level 10 and was getting my ass slathered. A whole bunch of high-level monsters coming at you is no joke. Oddly enough, I managed to beat one of them in an Arena match. I must thank my Beserker rage for that. They weren't easy wins, what with having to avoid a Bloodwing with fire/shock/acid damage coming out the wazoo.

Very enjoyable.

teekun

Zertez said:
Outside of games made by Epic, how many games that use the UE3 run good on the PS3?

I think the only UE3 games I've played on PS3 were Bioshock and Mirror's Edge, and they both ran really well.

I've never understood how people don't get annoyed by the dual shock for FPS games.

Just try moving right while turning left and it's a traffic jam down there. Wii Classic Controller has this problem even worse - made geometry wars almost unplayable for me.

fin

Fuck I had to buy the PS3 version...

Online isn't working at all, still played ton of single player.

If this isn't fixed by the weekend I'm taking it back to future shop. Exchange it for the 360 version.

Borderlands is like if Fallout, Halo, Left 4 Dead, and Diablo were mixed into one.

Controls like Halo, setting/tone like fallout, survival/teamwork like L4D(also a lot of Resistance 2 co-op type stuff going on here) and Diablo's loot gathering/skill trees.

It's a nice mishmash of things that turns out a lot better than it sounds.

Teknoman

Square Triangle said:
Hmm I was under the assumption that both games were very similar.

Similar only by the fact both take place in the future and in a wasteland of sorts.

Borderlands is more:

Graphic novel/Comic book-ish
Has alot more weapons
Takes place on another planet
Has vehicles
Is an FPS with RPG elements, not an RPG with FPS elements

Liberty4all

Banned
zedge said:
Ditto, i am so damn tired of this shit...

Also ditto for me too. I want so badly to open it but it does seem like the issue is widespread.

I bet the people having problems are all on wireless.

in combat it really does remind me of Resistance 2 co-op the way people are working together and just absolutely pouring damage into enemies, hoping they can bring the big ones down before they get overwhelmed. But the skill tree stuff and open world and missions give it a lot more lasting appeal than R2 co-op had.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Hm, I lost the entire right side of my equipped inventory (the shield, grenade, and class mods) after a save, had some pretty awesome stuff equipped and then *poof* it was all empty slots when I reloaded. Pretty uncool.

TheFallen

Revolutionary said:
How do the enemy respawns work? Every time you die, even if you're in a dungeon, they all respawn?
Because that's the behavior I witnessed today and it's HORRIBLE. Who the fuck thought that would be a good idea?

I'm HOPING it was something else that caused those enemies to respawn but having to fight your way back out of the dungeon you just fought your way into (and supposedly cleared out) is fucking retarded. I really hope it's not like that for the rest of the game.
In the instances, enemies only respawn on a timer/on your way out. Standard MMO stuff. They never respawn when you die and you will have PLENTY of time to get through it without them respawning the first way through. Especially since you've got New-U stations all over the place.

It seems silly to complain about them respawning, when they're giving you loot and exp along the way.

Zzoram

Shig said:
Hm, I lost the entire right side of my equipped inventory (the shield, grenade, and class mods) after a save, had some pretty awesome stuff equipped and then *poof* it was all empty slots when I reloaded. Pretty uncool.

version? were you playing online?

fin

Square Triangle said:
Hmm I was under the assumption that both games were very similar.

After playing 3 hours of Borderlands I'm finding them very similar...

Fallout 3 has less weapons, but is has armor. Fallout 3 has more of a story. Way more freedom in Fallout 3, such as being able to kill every NPC, and looting everything. I've met two NPCs in Borderlands and they are static douche bags.

The shooting in Borderlands is better, but VATS was pretty cool in Fallout. You can carry more shit in Fallout 3. Which is a little bit of a problem in Borderlands. Right now I got 12 empty slots for loot, not enough IMO. I'm finding the gameplay alot more fun in Borderlands, but both suffer from the run backwards while shooting thing.

The story so far is pathetic, having to read all the quests? It's not intriguing...

Zzoram

Zeliard said:
Does the game still work well as single-player or is it something that really should be played co-op like RE5?

GiantBomb suggested that if you like to play solo in MMOs (a lot of people do), Borderlands single-player is right for you.

TheFallen

fin said:
You can carry more shit in Fallout 3. Which is a little bit of a problem in Borderlands. Right now I got 12 empty slots for loot, not enough IMO. I'm finding the gameplay alot more fun in Borderlands, but both suffer from the run backwards while shooting thing.
Sigh, you're still low level. I've got over 20 now. And why is it an issue anyway? Ammo doesn't take up space and there's vendors all over the damn place.

Edit: Should also add, the comment about Fallout is pointless, you don't carry plates, scrap metal, and other random shit around in this game. So it doesn't even need the extra slots.

Shig said:
Did you turn the console off while it was auto saving? Could have corrupted your save file.

YagizY

Playing is Brick is fucking awesome. The whole beserker power is very well done. I really enjoy punching the crap out of things. I use my guns about 90% of the time but sometimes if their are lots of enemies around I unleash the fists. Nine Fingers (forgot if that was his name) was decimated to my fists :).

Despite online being borked I really am enjoying the solo stuff. My girlfriend and I are going to play this co-op tomorrow to distract me from online not working.

verio

fin said:
After playing 3 hours of Borderlands I'm finding them very similar...

Fallout 3 has less weapons, but is has armor. Fallout 3 has more of a story. Way more freedom in Fallout 3, such as being able to kill every NPC, and looting everything. I've met two NPCs in Borderlands and they are static douche bags.

The shooting in Borderlands is better, but VATS was pretty cool in Fallout. You can carry more shit in Fallout 3. Which is a little bit of a problem in Borderlands. Right now I got 12 empty slots for loot, not enough IMO. I'm finding the gameplay alot more fun in Borderlands, but both suffer from the run backwards while shooting thing.

The story so far is pathetic, having to read all the quests? It's not intriguing...

:lol

WHOOSH!

Red

YagizY said:
Playing is Brick is fucking awesome. The whole beserker power is very well done. I really enjoy punching the crap out of things.
0071_1_lg.jpg

Cant0na

Banned
Man 2 Soldiers can rip through bosses.

just played 3 player co-op with 2 soldiers and a sniper. destroyed sledge without even trying

2 healing turrets = youre unstoppable

Rahk

According to the Gearbox forums, Lilith's phase strike only does like 1/4 damage to enemies the same level. Disappointing.

A dev jumped in and said it's not working as intended and they're looking into it, so hopefully it will be fixed before the PC release.

Top Bottom