• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Borderlands |OT| More guns than the population of the Netherlands

Grecco

Bricks melle is so satisfying. I really enjoy the character (and i thought i wouldnt, i was gonna go with Lilith to start). Lvl10 already.

TheFallen

Wallach said:
That's not really what I meant, I'm just specifically talking about the sniper rifles. I am having a blast going down Gunslinger right now. Trust me - get a revolver. Sniper rifle damage is chump by comparison, and you can still find scoped revolvers so you can still pick off people from a distance.
At level 21, my sniper rifle destroys everything. You can't just go randomly shooting with it. Take precise limb shots (headshots if you can), they'll do more damage. Headshots will likely critical more often. My epic revolver also rapes shit, but the damage of the Sniper rifle is far too great if I have the room to take my time.

There's no reason to rely solely on the sniper rifle unless you go down the Sniper tree. So always remember that. People seem to misunderstand the 'weapon preference' in this game. You can use any weapon you want, but there are abilities/skills/items that are catered to certain characters that affect only select weapons.

If you get an excellent sniper rifle, spec into Sniper. If you get an excellent pistol/revovler, spec into pistols. If you get both excellent items, you can spec both if you want - but it's not gonna be as efficient as you'd like. All those skill points are wasted if you don't use them half the time.

Edit: If you don't like pistols/revolvers/snipers, you can always get the generic skills (Accuracy/Crit) and then go into the Rogue tree to buff Bloodwing. He's amazing maxed.

poweld

I'm about done with all my pistol/sniper points, can't wait to start dumping all the rest into Bloodwing. I can imagine the "every shot reduces timer by X seconds" being unbelievable.

Shit is about to get real.

I'm... 20 I think.

Jonsoncao

Banned
TheFallen said:
There's no reason to rely solely on the sniper rifle unless you go down the Sniper tree. So always remember that. People seem to misunderstand the 'weapon preference' in this game. You can use any weapon you want, but there are abilities/skills/items that are catered to certain characters that affect only select weapons.
this

basically dun hesitate to use a gun other than your favorite, since at the beginning of the game
before lv15 when u get the access to the next hub world
, ammo is somewhat a problem

drizzle said:
I also wonder if the PC Version has voice-based communication or not. Since both Xbox and PS3 version have it (thanks to the system supporting it), i wonder if they spent the extra time creating either a Text or Voice-based interaction interface for the PC. Voice is not really a problem, since me and my friends would just hop on a TS or Vent server (or hell, even Steam Voice Chat), but I wonder, for quickmatches, how the communication is done.
According to the RPS review/discussion-thingy it does have voice chat, but they said the implementation is pretty bad (no push-to-talk, game doesn't change volume when someone is talking).

It sounds like TS/Vent/Steam is going to be the way to go if you have the option.

Zzoram

UbiSoftologist said:
Gamespot reviews:

8.5 for Xbox 360 version (http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/act...vert&om_clk=gssummary&tag=summary;read-review)
The Good
Satisfying gunplay
Tons of weapons, shields, and helpful items
Four unique and equally fun-to-play characters
Distinct, appealing artistic style
Great system of rewards.

The Bad
Lonelier, slower-paced for a solo player
Massively unsatisfying "climax"
Lackluster loot sharing system.

8.0 for PS3 version (http://www.gamespot.com/ps3/action/...vert&om_clk=gssummary&tag=summary;read-review)

The Good
Satisfying gunplay
Tons of weapons, shields, and helpful items
Four unique and equally fun-to-play characters
Distinct, appealing artistic style
Great system of rewards.

The Bad
Online issues at launch, including broken Friends list functionality
Lonelier, slower-paced for a solo player
Massively unsatisfying "climax"
Lackluster loot sharing system.

More games need to be called on launch bugs or online problems. Not a single ODST review mentioned the garbage network code for Firefight.

BuddyC

rohlfinator said:
According to the RPS review/discussion-thingy it does have voice chat, but they said the implementation is pretty bad (no push-to-talk, game doesn't change volume when someone is talking).

It sounds like TS/Vent/Steam is going to be the way to go if you have the option.
Problem is, right now, there's no way to disable or turn off the microphone in-game on PC.

That means you can't use a separate program, like Skype, as all you'll get is a nasty echo effect.

Gearbox told us they have a patch in the works, but no idea when it'll hit beyond soon.

(This is the part where I shamelessly plug my review: http://www.shacknews.com/featuredarticle.x?id=1209)

Baker

Banned
Zzoram said:
More games need to be called on launch bugs or online problems. Not a single ODST review mentioned the garbage network code for Firefight.
I would also like to say:

Reviews should never talk about the fucking ending of a game. Stop trying to preemptively ruin my enjoyment of a 30+ hour game by telling me I'll end up disappointed. It's absolute bullshit if you ask me.

Edit: Then again, I have no idea what's going on with the story in BL anyways because we talked through everything. :lol

Can't believe the friend list for inviting is borked on PS3 ... how did an error this big squeeze through testing?!?! Have to do a public game and since we only have 3 players I have to keep kicking random chumps who join us. Terribly frustrating.

Is there some trick to the voice chat?? Push button to talk? Chat wasn't working between my friend and I but one of the chumps who joined was talk talk talking away...

Did not expect basic functionality to be such a piece of chit but UC2 may have spoiled me.

garath

BuddyC said:
Problem is, right now, there's no way to disable or turn off the microphone in-game on PC.

That means you can't use a separate program, like Skype, as all you'll get is a nasty echo effect.

Gearbox told us they have a patch in the works, but no idea when it'll hit beyond soon.

(This is the part where I shamelessly plug my review: http://www.shacknews.com/featuredarticle.x?id=1209)

Ugh.. no disabling of the voice chat at all? That's terrible. Is it at least good enough to live with for now?

I'm still not seeing the sniper thing people are complaining about . Sniper shots are hitting just like they are supposed to. I haven't yet found an out of range enemy I couldn't hit, and I'm always trying to scope out everything in the distance.

BuddyC

garath said:
Ugh.. no disabling of the voice chat at all? That's terrible. Is it at least good enough to live with for now?
Just hope you don't end up playing with someone random, and be ready to maybe turn down your system volume a bit.

Ideally, the patch will be ready by the time the PC version arrives next week. But I don't know anytime about the timetable beyond soon.

Blizzard

Banned
BuddyC said:

That sucks. I like push-to-talk since I don't have to worry about everyone hearing me when I start singing random snatches of old sea shanties while playing. :p

I'm hoping against hope that this game won't be as locked-down as Prince of Persia in regard to the Unreal Engine 3. If they don't totally lock everything down, there should be some .ini files around, and THAT may lend itself to PC version modding, or at least workarounds for annoyances like this until they get patches.

...unless the voice chat is totally using Gamespy or something and is unrelated to UE3 .ini settings. :(

Wallach

elrechazao said:
I'm still not seeing the sniper thing people are complaining about . Sniper shots are hitting just like they are supposed to. I haven't yet found an out of range enemy I couldn't hit, and I'm always trying to scope out everything in the distance.

I think it's mostly the fact that the shots are not perfectly accurate out of the gate combined with the bullet travel time that has people thinking there are problems. Landing a headshot on a target moving perpendicularly to yourself is not easy because even with your 'hairs on a skull, when the 3% accuracy loss changes the trajectory even by a sliver you're often going to whiff a target that small.

garath

BuddyC said:
Just hope you don't end up playing with someone random, and be ready to maybe turn down your system volume a bit.

Ideally, the patch will be ready by the time the PC version arrives next week. But I don't know anytime about the timetable beyond soon.

Well as long as it's clear, I'll generally be playing with the same group of people and we can tweak our mic volumes for now. Thanks for the review, so few impressions of the PC version so far.

Well besides the little robot npc freezing on me during the intro section, which I had restart the game to fix, I am enjoying it. The gunplay is solid and I enjoy the games art direction even more in motion. Played for a couple hours and only came across four guns, which I thought was rather low and odd, but I am looking forward to playing more this week.

From the GBX Forums about the PS3 Friends list. They found the issue. Sounds like they had guys up all night figuring it out. Pretty awesome. They are working on getting it rolled out now it seems
Update on the North American PS3 Friends Interface issue:

We've identified the problem and are working on a fix.
Believe it or not, the friends feature was heavily tested by Gearbox and 2K. However, this particular issue we found could have never manifested itself in our or 2K's test environments.

We’ll find out very soon if the issue exists for the PS3 International versions of the Borderlands. If it does, we’ll hopefully have a fix implemented before it affects those customers.

We are doing everything we can to get this problem addressed as quickly as possible. Thanks to everybody who provided us with tons of information.

Someone then said

Seriously, everyone on here truly thinks this game is going to get patched? Thats what all developers say, very few actually do anything about it. Sorry but patching their games 6 months or a year later just doesnt cut it for me.

And the GBX Dev responded with..

I'm sorry you feel that way, but that's not how we roll

Hah.

Baker

Banned
Wallach said:
I think it's mostly the fact that the shots are not perfectly accurate out of the gate combined with the bullet travel time that has people thinking there are problems. Landing a headshot on a target moving perpendicularly to yourself is not easy because even with your 'hairs on a skull, when the 3% accuracy loss changes the trajectory even by a sliver you're often going to whiff a target that small.
I don't want to be the resident whiner, but the sniper shots I'm complaining about are on dudes standing completely still.

Amneisac said:
Has anyone actually tried out the competitive arena stuff? Just wondering how that works.
It was a silly diversion and it plays just like it sounds. Your party is dropped in a big arena and you duke it out. It was fun, but after one full round, no one wanted to do it anymore.

Your ammo is replenished afterward, so that was nice.

Grecco said:
anyone have issues when you install it on the xbox hd? Ive gotten some dudes hitting me from behind walls and doors.
Now you have me paranoid that the installation is what's causing all these sniper issues.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
Playing this with some friends and I'm going as a Berserker. Going to build him to fill a very specific tank roll for our fights.

Going shotguns and SMGs to ensure I'm constantly trying to get close to people, and when the situation calls for it...HULK TIME BABY!

Can't wait until my tank and brawlers trees are more fleshed out so I can eat more bullets and punch more fools harder.

Brannon

crispygamer review said:
The game seems to be missing some punch, some pop, some zip. Maybe the gunfire isn't fiery enough. Explosions are small and neat and lack any kind of kersspllllooooossshhhh. I wanted evisceration. If you're going to go xxxtreme, then go all-the-way xxxtreme. Where are the decapitations? Where's the dismemberment? Where's the damn blood, dude? Enemies feel like XP fodder instead of real people. That's a problem. An xxxtreme problem.

So yeah this review is bullshit.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Brannon said:
So yeah this review is bullshit.

Seriously. Somebody never shot a dude in the head with a sniper rifle. It explodes into a fine bloody mist.

Crispy review sounds like he's got a bug up his ass about the wrong things.

Good to see GBX moving quick on a fix for the friends list; would be nice to have it by the weekend for a long play session. Asking too much?

Sucks to hear about the voice chat, but it seems like they're pretty on the ball with patches, so maybe it'll be fixed by release. In the meantime I guess my mic has an on/off switch, so that might have to do for now.

Shoogoo

Amneisac said:
Has anyone actually tried out the competitive arena stuff? Just wondering how that works.

It's just a bonus feature imho.

It's either 1v1 or 1v1v1 or 1v1v1v1

I wish they'd put 2v2

That crispy gamer review is fucking lame.

Anyways, no one ever answered but I'll ask again. The bounty board in town has the symbol of a exclamation point, it says these are marked as bounty boards. In Arid Badlands map, they show three of these, but I can only ever see the one in town. Anyone know why the map has two other spots marked as bounty boards?

JambiBum

Brannon said:
You can set it that way. I was in an arena fight with 2v1. Punched my way to victoly!
We've been doing more duels in my group now and no one wants to fight me because of my fists lol. I just go beserk and chase them around until I catch them and pound them into oblivion. I love Brick so much.

That article contradicts it's self in many points. I do agree with the emptiness of the begining of the game, but from what I read once you hit level 20 that changes. I don't think that person has played to much of the game and none of it was co-op.
I wish the article started with "I love shooters."

Top Bottom