• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Borderlands |OT| More guns than the population of the Netherlands

Unicorn

steadfast said:
There seems to be a little blurb in the description. The Giant Bomb QL showed a pistol that had infinite ammo with the blurb "I forget to reload sometimes" (or something).

I think those types of clues will let you know if things do something weird.
Yeah the red text weapons usually have some sort of flair to them, but those aren't as randomly generated as the rest of the guns (or are they) many Terrible Shatterguns, but they have the typical loot-esque numbers changing them up, but look the same.

Not bashing because there are a SHITTON of unique looking guns, but I guess I was hoping for the guns to look a lot different and to act different. Seems I get a lot of guns with the revolver type clip. Love that my Acid Shotgun has a Drum magazine though. So awesome.

Hopefully later on towards level 45+ the guns with blades on them are hella huge like gunblades from FF8 or something. Tiny blades are lame with only 100%+ to Melee.

I'm drooling at the idea of an Acid Shotgun with a giant axe blade at the butt or end of the barrell with like 200%+ to melee damage or more.

Gearbox... These are the things I want for DLC. (along with more quests like the Zombie DLC coming and new element types like freeze or something).

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Unicorn said:
Is there a way to know if the weapon you pick up has some funky way of shooting besides equipping it and firing a round or two?

there's been a couple bosses or minibosses that have guns that shoot their bullets in corkscrews or zigzag randomly and ricochet. Just wondering if there's a way to identify them prior to using them or seeing them used.
Not to my knowledge. The spirally shots don't have a description.
Zzoram said:
Any interface issues that make you accidentally sell weapons you don't mean to or stuff like that?
Hitting Y instead of B?

Concept17

Continued playing Siren to lvl 19 tonight. Was with 3 soldiers the entire time. Worked out pretty well.

Right now my best gun is an exploding revolver, was getting 14k crits in the Lost Cave. :D

Anyone else not hearing people with mics? I haven't been using mine, but I have yet to hear anyone else.

fosholv

Trying to preorder the 4 packs on Steam but so far I am getting my credit card declined. I called my bank and they said everything was fine; no hold plenty of credit left. I checked all the information over again and they were correct. Hopefully customer support will clear this up because I really want to jump in on that 4 packs deal.

dorkimoe

is there a way to respec your tree?

also

if i make a new character and play some coop , will i be able to go back to my original character and not lose my save?

I got my Siren up to Level 20. I was going down the Assassin skill tree but I switched over to Elemental and I'm liking that a lot more. Right now I catch enemies on fire around me when I hit my special, then it does shock damage to them while it's active, and then more fire at the end, plus corrosive damage if I end it with a melee.

Edit:
Is there a way to respec your tree?

also

if i make a new character and play some coop , will i be able to go back to my original character and not lose my save?
Use the respawn points to respec for a fairly small fee, and yeah you can have multiple characters/saves.

Insaniac

quick question, the Siren ability that gives her a chance to stun enemie with her melee, does that apply to her phasewalk melee too?

KanZolo

I rented it and its pretty fun. better than i thought.

But I won't be playing it anymore because it appears i wasted about 3 hours playing it. I was lvl 16 and joined a co-op game using same character. After 3 hours I left and it saved (timestamp says correct time).

I go back to play single player and nothing saved. So fuck it.

Akim

Banned
Has anyone fought
Mothrakk
yet? It's seriously dumb. Me and my buddy took like 20 minutes to kill it and then my game froze.

Nelo Ice

Banned
KanZolo said:

But I won't be playing it anymore because it appears i wasted about 3 hours playing it. I was lvl 16 and joined a co-op game using same character. After 3 hours I left and it saved (timestamp says correct time).

it only saves the hosts games progress
edit:nvm

Xevren

Akim said:
Has anyone fought
Mothrakk
yet? It's seriously dumb. Me and my buddy took like 20 minutes to kill it and then my game froze.

Yea, I killed him solo. I just pulled him back towards the road where there's a sort of rock bridge you can hide under. Shoot him when he comes in and just use the bridge as cover from the fire bombs. Just took awhile....

TheFallen

KanZolo said:

If you were behind the progress of the host, your plot missions will not save. You should be the host instead, catch yourself up and then both of you continue from there and it will save for everyone. As explained in the OP.

jorma

is now taking requests
TheFallen said:
If you were behind the progress of the host, your plot missions will not save. You should be the host instead, catch yourself up and then both of you continue from there and it will save for everyone. As explained in the OP.

Where in the OP? I must be blind :X

TheCardPlayer

Likes to have "friends" around to "play cards" with
Had to sell all my extra guns and a Level 22 class mod, that was worth 10000$, to afford a crazy good class mod, called Firefly for Lilith.

I just got to the Dahl Headlands. This is possibly the most addictive game ever.

shagg_187 said:
So the PS3 online issues has been fixed? Awesome!
No, they haven't, at least as of 5 minutes ago. Of the 53 people on my friends list, only 6 show up in-game. Luckily, two of those have been playing Borderlands so I got a little co-op in yesterday. But there's been no patch yet obviously. Fat Princess's patch took a week, and unless they can fix something server-side I wouldn't expect it to be any faster than that.

Drek

Xevren said:
Got a shotgun that shoots rockets. The description rules, says: Holy crap, it shoots rockets!
I got one of them too, fun gun. Mine has a 3.6x scope too so i can lob out shots and let them blow shit up from quite a bit away.

It works like a grenade launcher basically, but on shotgun ammo.

Alex

TelemachusD said:
No, they haven't, at least as of 5 minutes ago. Of the 53 people on my friends list, only 6 show up in-game. Luckily, two of those have been playing Borderlands so I got a little co-op in yesterday. But there's been no patch yet obviously. Fat Princess's patch took a week, and unless they can fix something server-side I wouldn't expect it to be any faster than that.

They wont show up until they have the game and log in since the hotfix earlier, it uses it's own little GameSpy client which seems to auto register once you sign into the game. At least that's how it is for me.

The online functionality in this is quite well setup for a console game. Usually dropin/dropout is a term that means shit, but it's quite convenient here.

Game is significantly better than I expected it to be. Just finishing the
Mad Mel stuff in the second area now and getting into New Haven. For this genre type, I am extremely impressed in the variety and design of the world. Really fun loot started kickin' in too. Really great game.

quickwhips

KanZolo said:

When you log into a game it states that you can't progress if your so far behind. Then it states that you should host if you want to share quest.

Just finished playthrough 1.
what a shit end to an otherwise amazing game
Started playthrough 2, ready for more loot.

I feel soldier is weaker than expected. Trying a more offensive build this go 'round. Sniper is disgustingly OP, really starts to show later on. GOTY so far, still havent opened UC2 though, so could easily change.

Dizzle24

So yeah, how in the f&%* do I defeat
Moe and Marley? :lol
Seriously. Regenerating health, getting tag teamed with firebombs and shock bombs, dozens of other skags raping me. I tried looking for a higher vantage point to just snipe away or something, but they both run away if you get out of range.
Oh, I'm a level 14 Brick.

Thanks.

Justin

Dizzle24 said:
Seriously. Regenerating health, getting tag teamed with firebombs and shock bombs, dozens of other skags raping me. I tried looking for a higher vantage point to just snipe away or something, but they both run away if you get out of range.

Thanks.

Come back and do it later. I did it at level 19 as a hunter and still had a bit of a hard time.

TelemachusD said:

As Alex mentioned, it has been fixed. Here:

http://kotaku.com/5386810/ps3-version-of-borderlands-has-co+op-issues-gearbox-promises-fix-[update]

Update: Well, that certainly was "ASAP." Gearbox reps say they've fixed the issue, no client side patch needed: "We are very pleased to report that using PSN friends lists with the game should now work properly for all PS3 customers. The fix has been released invisibly and should work automatically for all PSN users on the PS3 platform. No special action is required by PS3 customers to apply the fix - just play the game and you'll find that everything works fine now. We thank you all for your patience and for making us aware of the issue!"

bengraven

This was on the fence for me until I watched Justin.tv's live feed for about 30 minutes last night. I think this is right up my alley - when the loot boxes opened to show guns those rare moments I was like "oh god, oh god, loooot". It felt like I was watching Diablo as a first person; I think Gearbox was successful in that regards.

And it looked incredibly stable with a great framerate on Xbox (at times I swore it was 60), so it will run on my PC like a champ. :D I'll be grabbing this.

Put in my 4-pack preorder last night, and I was fortunate enough to start preloading.

I'm pretty surprised at how big the game seems to be getting on Steam... it's been a consistent top seller for a while, and they seemed to be swamped by preloading for quite a while last night.

Eric WK

redhot_ said:
hmm i just got that trophy Pandora-Dog Millionaire, but i only got around 500k, anyone alse luck out and get it early too?

It's for earning $1m. You don't have to have that much at one time.

FinKL

Finished preloading all 7.0gb of Borderlands. Now for it to unlock any second...
Borderlands.exe why you tease me so much

Also looking through the files preloaded, I noticed there is a PhysX folder. Didn't remember hearing PhysX confirmed, but I think it supports it looking at the files

Dizzle24 said:

Thanks.

I did it as a level 12 brick(although I got to 13 after killing one of them), just run in circles and kill the little skags, then stomp the hell out of one with berserker and rockets until it dies, then repeat.

Dizzle24

God's Beard said:
I did it as a level 12 brick(although I got to 13 after killing one of them), just run in circles and kill the little skags, then stomp the hell out of one with berserker and rockets until it dies, then repeat.

I tried that twice. I was crippled both times, got my "second wind" and still got raped.
they are relentless, have some magical regenerating health, and gang bang me together.

Well, I guess I'll try again after I level up some more.

jRPG

Dizzle24 said:

Thanks.

I found keeping the one that charges you away from the one that shoots things at you to be the key. The one that shoots electricity type things appears to be slower (at least it had trouble keeping up compared to the other one) and the things it shoots seem to completely deplete your shields, making it easy for the other one to kill you. I found clearing a big run of skags and then running backwards and forwards kiting the one that charges you until the one that fires at you catches up, then running in the opposite direction and repeat to be the best way. Once the one that charges at you dies, the other one didn't melee attack me at all, so it was easy to avoid the projectiles and splat it.

JambiBum

glaurung said:
Is there any loot that enhances money drops or increases chances of better loot dropping from mobs?

With Brick I have a skill that increases cash prizes while I'm in beserk mode. Right now it's only at a 12% chance for me but when it drops something it's usually pretty nice.

garath

After trying half a dozen times last night and a couple times this morning, the steam preload finally went through RIGHT before I left for work. I was getting ready to enable remote desktop to try throughout the day hehe.

Man, this must be a popular game, I haven't seen the servers this busy before. I've never had an issue preloading anything else.

Rahk

So apparently Australian and German versions of this on Steam are downloading a file called "borderlands_low_violence.ncf".

Would anyone with a fully preloaded non-Australian/German copy be able to check if you have this file? Thanks.

Rahk said:
So apparently Australian and German versions of this on Steam are downloading a file called "borderlands_low_violence.ncf".

Would anyone with a fully preloaded non-Australian/German copy be able to check if you have this file? Thanks.
Damn...

<3 USA.

RS4-

Dizzle24 said:

Thanks.

Did it at a level 15 Soldier with the help of those raider mobs and uhh, area restriction?

For
Marley
, I lured him towards the raider camp that has the overhead bridge (near the start point); there's a huge rock and hill where he refuses to pass, so he'd run around in there and just lob lightning shots at me while I shot him down.

I thought I could do the same with
Moe
, but the fucker kept on charging me lol. Had him follow me inside the raider camp where they'd both fight; eventually he stood still by one of the houses while dudes on the bridge kept on shooting him. I waited until he was about to die and came in for the KS!

edit - oh yeah, I made sure these were both 1v1 encounters.

Rahk said:

I don't have that file. I only have "borderlands_public content.ncf" in my steamapps folder.

Philthy

One other complaint I have, especially with Co-Op is the ammo drops. There just isn't enough ammo being dropped for 4 players.

Auto-pickup of ammo + ammo sharing + more ammo being dropped would go a LONG ways. It's so f'ing annoying. I HATE hitting X. HATE IT.

Blizzard

Banned
garath said:
After trying half a dozen times last night and a couple times this morning, the steam preload finally went through RIGHT before I left for work. I was getting ready to enable remote desktop to try throughout the day hehe.

Man, this must be a popular game, I haven't seen the servers this busy before. I've never had an issue preloading anything else.
That, and/or people preloading Killing Floor. I think the same kind of busy problem happened one or two weeks when they did free-to-play UT3 downloads, also.

I'm still seeing some people saying PS3 online works, and some saying it doesn't. If anyone has confirmation of people logging going online with Borderlands after the patch, and still not showing up on friends lists, you should probably let Gearbox/us know the details. :)

*edit*
I don't have that file. I only have "borderlands_public content.ncf" in my steamapps folder.
Rargh, hopefully I can preload tonight. I want to dig through the files and see if there are any .ini files around. I assume there is no wxRC directory though? That would indeed be amazing.

Philthy said:
One other complaint I have, especially with Co-Op is the ammo drops. There just isn't enough ammo being dropped for 4 players.

Auto-pickup of ammo + ammo sharing + more ammo being dropped would go a LONG ways. It's so f'ing annoying. I HATE hitting X. HATE IT.
Maybe that will make my choice for Soldier more justifiable.

Friend said he needed to restart his playstation twee and it fixed everything (edit: after the announced fix). Can't confirm since I only have the Steam version.

Rahk

ThaiGrocer said:
Hmm, alright. Thanks.

Still too early to jump to conclusions. I haven't heard anything about low violence on the 360 version in Australia, so I don't see why the Steam version would. Hopefully just a toggle or something.

TheFallen

Did some more co-op with 2-3 GAF members last night, we got to lvl 30. The later content is amazing. I'm really surprised how massive this game is. You guys will see when you enter the New Haven mission sets. Finally saw a legendary today, was a Revolver that regenerated ammo. Pretty sick, but aside from the novelty, it was only decent. I prefer my revolvers to have elemental effects.

Also, maxed bloodwing = amazing. He rapes 6 targets for 1000-3000+ each.

Top Bottom