• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Borderlands |OT| More guns than the population of the Netherlands

Baker said:
It was a funny comparison, but I think playing solo at least some of time still has its merits. Co-op is so fast paced, you don't really have any time to really sit around and compare weapons, plan out your skill tree, follow the story, etc.

I like starting each night off with some solo play just so I can get my bearings back.

I am preferring Solo. I played a few hours of coop, it's fun but very hectic. Ammo gets scarce and you cant search for loot or really look at what you are picking up. Co op would be better with a group of good friends all mic'd up properly.

I honestly need to make a co-op only character.

Zzoram

Jamesfrom818 said:
There's no bank or locker for you to store weapons right? I guess I'm just going to have to create a bunch of mules and make deposits in split screen mode.

Diablo II had 8 character limit per account, and my friends would have tons of mule accounts which they would keep track of in spread sheets :lol

BuddyC

MoxManiac said:
So the game is still good solo? I do want to play co-op but if the game is solid for solo play too then bonus!
I'm on my third solo playthrough. I can't stop playing :(

There are moments and times where a teammate or two would be helpful, but yeah, it's enjoyable in solo. It's one of those rare games where I can just zone out and lose track of time.

Zzoram

MoxManiac said:
So the game is still good solo? I do want to play co-op but if the game is solid for solo play too then bonus!

From what I understand, people who like to play WoW solo will like this game solo.

StUnNeR H2K

I see some people complaining about ammo drops, but I played 4-player co-op last night with two soldiers in the group and it was never a problem since ammo regens when standing in the turret circle and they both had the artifact that regens ammo just for being in a group with them.

What a load of shit!

Me and my friend just finished our first playthrough and there was not any weapons as a reward, just more money.

That pissed me and him off soooooo bad; but we will be starting our second playthrough tonight :D

painey

I played the first bit and thought it was boring, not fun as a solo game to me. Will be deleting off my gamercard I think, shame.

xDangerboy said:
What a load of shit!

Me and my friend just finished our first playthrough and there was not any weapons as a reward, just more money.

That pissed me and him off soooooo bad; but we will be starting our second playthrough tonight :D

Congrats. I can't wait to make it through the end of the game w/ my Brick character so I can go back and beat it with my LVL19 Soldier

painey said:
I played the first bit and thought it was boring, not fun as a solo game to me. Will be deleting off my gamercard I think, shame.

wat? You have got to be kidding........

yes.... the first few missions are kinda dumb but it REALLY picks up.

Dunlop

You guys are killng me, my buddy picked it up for me yesterday ($40 here is Canada but hard as hell to find)...and I can't get it until friday night.

I had let my LIVE lapse and was going to originally pick it up on the PS3 but with the inital issue and the fact that 4 of my buddies purcahsed the game I am back to going with LIVE.

How hard is it to lvl a guy? I was planning on just using a different profile to get live free for a month giving me time to score a better deal (the Red Flag Deals/Cheap Ass Gamer Effect). Once I get one, I'll need to start over from scratch on my original profile

Dude Abides said:
Dammit I wish I wasn't going out of town this weekend. I am fiending more Borderlands.

HAHA. Well pick back up with me at 6:30pm Central time tonight. I really really want to slow down and grab more weapons..... last night we were running WAYYYYYYY too much.

P.S. I was supposed to be going out of town this weekend..... Cancelled trip. Staying home to play Borderlands..... LOL

MoxManiac

BuddyC said:
I'm on my third solo playthrough. I can't stop playing :(

There are moments and times where a teammate or two would be helpful, but yeah, it's enjoyable in solo. It's one of those rare games where I can just zone out and lose track of time.

I suppose it makes fun. Diablo 2 and it's ilk were both fun solo and with multi too (to me at least)

Dude Abides

Banned
MidnightRider said:
HAHA. Well pick back up with me at 6:30pm Central time tonight. I really really want to slow down and grab more weapons..... last night we were running WAYYYYYYY too much.

P.S. I was supposed to be going out of town this weekend..... Cancelled trip. Staying home to play Borderlands..... LOL

Unfortunately my flight is at 5pm. I'll try to hit you up when I get back on Sunday night.

BuddyC

dallow_bg said:
So how long is the 'playthrough' and what level should I be around near the end?
Depends on solo vs. co-op.

My first solo playthrough ended at level 36 after about 18 hours and doing most of the sidequests.

I hear co-op takes much longer.

jabipun

Hey, I got three character builds:

Level 9 Brick
Level 19 Hunter
Level 14 Soldier

Anyone want to co-op:

gt is

cminuswarrior

hulot

Jamesfrom818 said:
There's no bank or locker for you to store weapons right? I guess I'm just going to have to create a bunch of mules and make deposits in split screen mode.
There's really no need to, especially since you'll be replacing and selling weapons constantly at every level.

pedr0theli0n

Neo Member
random question: how many of you guys playing lilith have gone the phase strike route, and if so, is it working? For some reason I don't seem to do melee damage at all coming out of the phase walk, much less +800%. I've had to respec because it just seemed so useless. I think I'll be going the controller path now.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
BuddyC said:
Depends on solo vs. co-op.

My first solo playthrough ended at level 36 after about 18 hours and doing most of the sidequests.

I hear co-op takes much longer.
Thanks.
Is there a reason why it takes longer, difficulty going up maybe?

My Hunter is like Level 21. I am going to max out the Sniper Tree except Smirk (+ Exp. per kill ) and Carrion Call because it just makes sense.

Is putting any points into the the Bloodhawk worth it, does it become incredible?

jabipun

garath said:
It sounds like network lag for sure. Probably a combo of ping (CA to FL is rough) with a poor connection on the host. Even dedicated servers aren't that great cross country let alone a peer to peer off someone's DSL.

Yeah. I usually just host games here on out.

Seventy5

I played a warlock solo quite a bit in WoW, and playing solo in this game is pretty comparable. I'm really suprised how good it is, co-op is good fun too. I'm playing on PS3, couple framerate hitches so far, but nothing horrible. I had a hard time playing online for the first couple hours after I got it Weds. but since then I've had no trouble hosting games or joining. This will be staying in my collection for sure.

Zzoram

Question: Does a level 50 character have all skills maxed? I hope not, that would be terrible and defeat the point of skill trees.

Anerythristic said:
My Hunter is like Level 21. I am going to max out the Sniper Tree except Smirk (+ Exp. per kill ) and Carrion Call because it just makes sense.

Is putting any points into the the Bloodhawk worth it, does it become incredible?

Like I said earlier.... I hear the Maxed out Bloodhawk is the shiznit

Zzoram said:
Question: Does a level 50 character have all skills maxed? I hope not, that would be terrible and defeat the point of skill trees.

No they do not get all the way maxed out.

Get on the borderlands game website and you can build a level 50 in stats on there.....

Seventy5

I have 17 points in bloodhawk on my hunter and he's pretty useful. He oneshots most enemies that aren't badass or bruisers, and even then he stuns them for about 6-8 seconds. I haven't tried any of the other trees yet.

hulot

pedr0theli0n said:
random question: how many of you guys playing lilith have gone the phase strike route, and if so, is it working? For some reason I don't seem to do melee damage at all coming out of the phase walk, much less +800%. I've had to respec because it just seemed so useless. I think I'll be going the controller path now.
I believe it's currently bugged. There's a thread about it on the official forum.

grumble

Dizzle24 said:
So yeah, how in the f&%* do I defeat
Moe and Marley? :lol
Seriously. Regenerating health, getting tag teamed with firebombs and shock bombs, dozens of other skags raping me. I tried looking for a higher vantage point to just snipe away or something, but they both run away if you get out of range.
Oh, I'm a level 14 Brick.

Thanks.

What I did was get them both very angry with me so they'd start chasing me. Then I ran them into a nearby bandit camp, where the bandits and the skags started to shoot each other. I sat off to the one side and unloaded clips into the monsters' backsides until they died. I only got hit a couple of times.

But yeah, this game is very level dependent. If I go to an area and shoot people, I'll find that my weapons are doing shit damage, but I level up twice and go back and I'm crushing people with huge damage.

He hee, my combat rifle's doing over 1k a three shot burst, and I'm only level 25!

desertdroog

Bought this game due to the testimonials here on GAF.

FPS + Loot Whoring + skill trees + char leveling....? And it works? With coop?

Damn..stayed up to 2 am last night playing this. Not something I do during the work week. I think I spend most of my time in the menu looking at weapon comparisons more than playing.

Heh..and I'm only level 7 soldier right now.

This sucks, because I just started Batman AA after Beating Uncharted 2...and Deadspace is still in the shrink wrap because I lost time playing Fallout 3.

desertdroog said:
Bought this game due to the testimonials here on GAF.

FPS + Loot Whoring + skill trees + char leveling....? And it works? With coop?

Damn..stayed up to 2 am last night playing this. Not something I do during the work week. I think I spend most of my time in the menu looking at weapon comparisons more than playing.

Heh..and I'm only level 7 soldier right now.

This sucks, because I just started Batman AA after Beating Uncharted 2...and Deadspace is still in the shrink wrap because I lost time playing Fallout 3.

Yeah.... I quit playing Dead Space so I could get started on this....

my backlog is about to TRIPLE in size over the next month

AwRy108

Cahill said:
I just did this last night with Xevren. He was literally twice my level. I got XP drops etc from EVERYTHING except main story quests. All sidequests, loot chests, etc we did I got as well. He killed one boss and I went up an entire level.

If you're in the same story point as someone in co-op you should be able to continue your story the way I understand it. If not, then you get everything except main story quests and it will tell you when you join their game that they are too far ahead of you.

Thank you for the response; and thanks to the others who responded, too. Clarification is a wonderful thing!

pedr0theli0n

Neo Member
so I might start a new class while I wait for some issues with Lilith to be resolved.
Who should I pick of the other three? I'm leaning toward brick or mordecai, but can't really decide...

Top Bottom