• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Borderlands |OT| More guns than the population of the Netherlands

Regarding PS3 Version:

Great to hear the friends list is fixed.

Don't know if you want to add this to the OP or not but here's a bit of a troubleshooting issue some people may encounter which took me a while to figure out --

We couldn't figure out why the voicechat wasn't working in a public game, thought maybe it was just the fact it wasn't a private game or perhaps voicechat was buggy along with the friend list, but turns out it was the official Playstation 3 bluetooth (the one that comes with SOCOM Confrontation).

Problem: If you're like me and you have a baby sleeping whenever you get a chance to play the game, you can't talk very loudly. The proximity chat in Borderlands is not very sensitive -- if you talk directly into the official PS3 headset it will pick you up, but speaking gingerly with it on your ear gets you nothing. I went into the audio device settings to raise the sensitivity and found I could only set it to (3) or (OFF) ... ! Apparently, if the headset is paired with the PS3 via the USB dock, you can't adjust the sensitivity.

Solution: remove it from your bluetooth devices, then pair it manually. Hold the power button for 15 seconds after having the PS3 scan for bluetooth devices -- the passkey should be 0000 unless you changed it. Then you can change the sensitivity to 4 or 5 if you need to.

Hopefully this helps anyone having issues with the official PS3 bluetooth headset. It worked fine with Killzone, etc... this is the first game I've had trouble with the sensitivity.

Quick question, I got a random orange yesterday and it was a sniper rifle, I play hunter :D.

Was this luck or does the game drop random rares based on class or weapons mostly used?

TheFallen

Anerythristic said:
Quick question, I got a random orange yesterday and it was a sniper rifle, I play hunter :D.

Was this luck or does the game drop random rares based on class or weapons mostly used?
Seems to skew loot to the players in the game. We were getting tons more hunter loot with 2 hunters in our co-op session last night and only one siren. That's not to say the Siren didn't get anything. When the Siren left, the legendary was a Hunter weapon.

Also if you notice, if nobody uses rocket launchers and then suddenly you shoot a few, there will be some rocket ammo drops consistently until you're replenished. Same goes for healing items.

Dizzle24

MidnightRider said:
Well I got my Brick character up to level 18 last night.

So in two nights only of playing.....

Roland = level 19
Brick = level 18

Sweet

Damn, how many hours in those 2 days did you play? :lol

I've been playing since Monday, and have 1 character, level 14. Roughly 3 hours each night.

Dizzle24 said:
Damn, how many hours in those 2 days did you play? :lol

I've been playing since Monday, and have 1 character, level 14. Roughly 3 hours each night.

LOL probably 12 hours total.

6 with brick
6 with roland

I love Brick. This dude is where it's at for sure.

I work during the day so it was all mostly done between 6:30pm - 2:00am

KanZolo

quickwhips said:
When you log into a game it states that you can't progress if your so far behind. Then it states that you should host if you want to share quest.

What do you mean "so far behind"?

elrechazao said:
Anyone have weird bloodwing issues? Sometimes I'll throw him right at a guy and he'll recoil, not do any damage, bounce back in and I can throw him again. Happens over and over sometimes. Am I doing it wrong? Other times I'll throw him and he'll fly around for a while even when there aren't guys to attack.

So annoyed, specced for gunslinger and no good guns are dropping :lol I'm gonna toy with a bloodwing spec if I can figure out to use him.

anyone have any thoughts on bloodwing?

KanZolo said:
In terms of mainline quests. It doesn't want you doing the story quests out of order, so if you're behind on those it won't let you get credit for later ones when you co-op. You can still play along with everyone, but you wont get the rewards.

BobFromPikeCreek said:
In terms of mainline quests. It doesn't want you doing the story quests out of order, so if you're behind on those it won't let you get credit for later ones when you co-op. You can still play along with everyone, but you wont get the rewards.

Right.... and it's pretty much boring.

I have played through the start of the game at least 3 times now....

That crap is boring when you aren't getting EXP for it.....

for some reason I am too nice and keep starting back at the start with new people and playing through with them.... it's still pretty funny being able to beat Bone Head with no problem.....

That dude gave me trouble the first time I played through.

Last night I kept dropping into Co-op games, and no one was trying to complete misssions they would just run around and Duel. I don't think a lot of people understand that the host needs to turn in there quest.

vhfive

elrechazao said:
if you throw bloodwing when there is no one around he'll fly around for a while then fly back to you and you can use again right away. if you throw him with enemies around you have to be at least looking at the enemies general area for him to attack. if you throw him at enemies then duck around a corner he will most likely fly around a bit then fly back to you without attacking anyone.

TheFallen

elrechazao said:
There are some areas where he can't path through. I've seen a few invisible walls, but nothing incredibly bad. He definitely excels in outdoor environments though. There's a maximum distance he can travel. So don't expect him to go flying a mile away to chase someone. You can hit the ability button a second time to call him back to you, and it will refresh your bloodwing timer. Sounds like that's what you're doing. Hard to tell though. My bloodwing seems to perform flawlessly 98% of the time.

quickwhips

KanZolo said:

There are quest chains. So if he starts a quest before you log in and finishes it then when you log in to his game you are further behind in the quest or quest chain. So there for you will not get credit for helping complete the quest. So he should join your game instead of you joining your friends game so you both get credit and then you will catch up to him in quest.

One thing that is a bit disappointing is that I thought that the arenas had separate matchmaking, so you could PvP with strangers without organizing a co-op game with them first, and keep fighting new people. Maybe I'm missing something, but it seems you can only arena fight with people who are in your co-op game. Disappointing :(.

greendublin said:
Regarding PS3 Version:

Great to hear the friends list is fixed.

Don't know if you want to add this to the OP or not but here's a bit of a troubleshooting issue some people may encounter which took me a while to figure out --

We couldn't figure out why the voicechat wasn't working in a public game, thought maybe it was just the fact it wasn't a private game or perhaps voicechat was buggy along with the friend list, but turns out it was the official Playstation 3 bluetooth (the one that comes with SOCOM Confrontation).

Problem: If you're like me and you have a baby sleeping whenever you get a chance to play the game, you can't talk very loudly. The proximity chat in Borderlands is not very sensitive -- if you talk directly into the official PS3 headset it will pick you up, but speaking gingerly with it on your ear gets you nothing. I went into the audio device settings to raise the sensitivity and found I could only set it to (3) or (OFF) ... ! Apparently, if the headset is paired with the PS3 via the USB dock, you can't adjust the sensitivity.

Solution: remove it from your bluetooth devices, then pair it manually. Hold the power button for 15 seconds after having the PS3 scan for bluetooth devices -- the passkey should be 0000 unless you changed it. Then you can change the sensitivity to 4 or 5 if you need to.

Hopefully this helps anyone having issues with the official PS3 bluetooth headset. It worked fine with Killzone, etc... this is the first game I've had trouble with the sensitivity.

If you pair it like this you loose the high quality chat mode as the PS3 thinks it's a generic BT headset.

Someone who has beaten the game or gotten extremely far, please answer.

Can anyone tell me how much of the main campaign I have left? I just got a mission to head towards the
Salt Flats

BobFromPikeCreek said:
One thing that is a bit disappointing is that I thought that the arenas had separate matchmaking, so you could PvP with strangers without organizing a co-op game with them first, and keep fighting new people. Maybe I'm missing something, but it seems you can only arena fight with people who are in your co-op game. Disappointing :(.
Are you trying to fight in the Arena outside of the first town you visit?

That one Arena you can only fight people in your game.

I heard all other Arena's you fight strangers.

practice02 said:
Last night I kept dropping into Co-op games, and no one was trying to complete misssions they would just run around and Duel. I don't think a lot of people understand that the host needs to turn in there quest.

Yes there is a bunch of idiots playing this game so far.

Ive had to kick every single stranger that comes into my game because they are always doing dumb shit..... like stealing guns people in MY party drop on the ground for me.

TheFallen said:
There are some areas where he can't path through. I've seen a few invisible walls, but nothing incredibly bad. He definitely excels in outdoor environments though. There's a maximum distance he can travel. So don't expect him to go flying a mile away to chase someone. You can hit the ability button a second time to call him back to you, and it will refresh your bloodwing timer. Sounds like that's what you're doing. Hard to tell though. My bloodwing seems to perform flawlessly 98% of the time.

It's weird, probably a good 20% of the time last night when playing he would rubber band right back to me after flying out 5-6 feet, and this was outside, not in corridors or anything like that. I'll have to play with it some more. It wasn't like I think it's a major bug or something, just getting a few moments where I'm 30 feet from a guy, throw my bloodwing while aimed right at the guy coming at me, and he rubber bands right back to me without doing damage. The plus side obviously was I could throw him right back out, but it often happened 2 times in a row.

Cimarron

Man! This game is so much fun! I almost wish I wasn't going to D.C. tonight. I want to get some co-op so bad! I would bring my 360 with me but my buddy doesn't have internet access. MONDAY CAN'T COME SOON ENOUGH! :(

I haven't played co-op yet, but I'm trying to understand something:

If I join someone else's game and complete missions, will those missions be completed when I return to my game/single player, or will have I have to do them over again?

Autofokus

BobFromPikeCreek said:
Small Question:
Would I keep my EXP, Loot & Money (not related to story quest rewards) from the co-op session or are those wasted too?

AwRy108

So, due purely to my ignorance, someone please correct me if I'm wrong: when you play co-op, you still get the standard XP for killing baddies; but you don't get XP from quests unless you're hosting. Is this right?

So basically, if you play co-op with someone that you're close in lvl to, you'll still reap the rewards from killing enemies and finding chests.

The reason I ask is, I've found that the majority of the loot gained as quest rewards tends to suck, so not getting the stuff in co-op is no biggie. Sure, the XP would be nice; but if you're playing with someone who's similar in lvl, you're still getting loot from drops and chests, and XP from baddies. I've found a few great guns, and all of them have come from chests.

Sorry for the questions, I'm just trying to clarify. Thanks!

Baker

Banned
DrAndonuts said:
I haven't played co-op yet, but I'm trying to understand something:

If I join someone else's game and complete missions, will those missions be completed when I return to my game/single player, or will have I have to do them over again?
They're completed.

*As long as they aren't story missions that you weren't eligible for.

Kintaco

Ultimo hombre said:
What's the best deal going online or instore for this game?

Also, if I enjoyed Too Human due to it's loot whoring lure, will this appeal to me?
The best deal is the Steam 4 pack, it comes out to about $34 for each game, you just need 3 friends or organize with some GAFers here.

Cahill

Banned
AwRy108 said:
So, due purely to my ignorance, someone please correct me if I'm wrong: when you play co-op, you still get the standard XP for killing baddies; but you don't get XP from quests unless you're hosting. Is this right?

So basically, if you play co-op with someone that you're close in lvl to, you'll still reap the rewards from killing enemies and finding chests.

The reason I ask is, I've found that the majority of the loot gained as quest rewards tends to suck, so not getting the stuff in co-op is no biggie. Sure, the XP would be nice; but if you're playing with someone who's similar in lvl, you're still getting loot from drops and chests, and XP from baddies. I've found a few great guns, and all of them have come from chests.

I just did this last night with Xevren. He was literally twice my level. I got XP drops etc from EVERYTHING except main story quests. All sidequests, loot chests, etc we did I got as well. He killed one boss and I went up an entire level.

If you're in the same story point as someone in co-op you should be able to continue your story the way I understand it. If not, then you get everything except main story quests and it will tell you when you join their game that they are too far ahead of you.

MidnightRider said:
Are you trying to fight in the Arena outside of the first town you visit?

That one Arena you can only fight people in your game.

I heard all other Arena's you fight strangers.
Really? Oh man awesome. I'm still doing Fyrestone quests so I haven't found any others yet. I'm excited now. :D

Philthy

practice02 said:

Yeah, I noticed that as well. Everyone thinks their game is progressing when they aren't the host. Or the host has no idea whats going on.

They should just put a big green arrow on the screen pointing to the name of the host, and put in the manual that this is the only person whose quests will update.

hulot

AwRy108 said:

Everything you complete, acquire, earn in coop transfers to single. Certain quest chains can become ineligible for you depending on where the host is at but quest awards that you complete in coop can be turned in by anyone and everyone gets the cash, exp and item and will also be completed in single.

Baker

Banned
BTW, I finally put 5 points in the Hunter's Accuracy/Sniper sway ability and sniping seemed to work a lot better last night. There were still a couple 'wtf' moments, but nowhere near as many.

NinjaFusion said:
If you pair it like this you loose the high quality chat mode as the PS3 thinks it's a generic BT headset.

I could either not have voice chat at all because it doesn't pick up my voice, or ditch high quality and get to voice chat. Unfortunate but necessary. I do rather like the official headset other than the problems with this game

BobFromPikeCreek said:
Really? Oh man awesome. I'm still doing Fyrestone quests so I haven't found any others yet. I'm excited now. :D

Oh yeah..... That arena is Party Only.

The rest are huge brawls.....

I haven't made it there yet :(

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Played for a good while with friends last night (PS3).

If the game wasn't co-op, I'd probably be pretty bored with it.
I'm liking it more and more though as I play, we'll see.

pedr0theli0n

Neo Member
I could probably make a sizeable list of this game's flaws, but the fact is that I've put in 9 hours i think since tuesday morning and I've loved it. I'm around lvl 23/24 with Lileth. I feel like things have really started to click in this game now that Ive invested enough time with it. I have some guns that I really like to use in different situations, I'm finally starting to see the benefits of the skill tree (this takes a while... too long IMO), and I've solidified my combat routine pretty well. I'm playing solo for now on the 360, and thats fine with me. I dont have a mic anymore, so I can't imagine playing online would go all that well anyways.

Sceren

Neo Member
God I hate all of you so much right now.

I want to play so bad... all I do is sit at work and click refresh on this thread and read about you guys playing :(

Jinaar

There are flaws in the game .... but I fail to focus on them at all or even see them. I am deathly in love with this game. I think too much of it while at work. This is the game I have been waiting for. Thanks GEARBOX! And the ability to keep jumping to anyone's game and just keep a party going is so intense.

/bow to Gearbox

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Baker said:
BTW, I finally put 5 points in the Hunter's Accuracy/Sniper sway ability and sniping seemed to work a lot better last night. There were still a couple 'wtf' moments, but nowhere near as many.
I don't think it is hitscan (Since Lilith has a bullet velocity skill), but bullets seem to go fast enough.

Baker

Banned
TurtleSnatcher said:
1UP wasnt kidding with the Mario Party with Guns comment I guess? :lol
It was a funny comparison, but I think playing solo at least some of time still has its merits. Co-op is so fast paced, you don't really have any time to really sit around and compare weapons, plan out your skill tree, follow the story, etc.

I like starting each night off with some solo play just so I can get my bearings back.

K.Jack said:
Never give a personal rating of 8.5 to a game you consider quitting after 3.5 hours. :lol

I can recognize the game's value, design decisions, etc. I think all sports games are stupid, but that doesn't mean that I'd rate them according to my bias.

vhfive

Baker said:
It was a funny comparison, but I think playing solo at least some of time still has its merits. Co-op is so fast paced, you don't really have any time to really sit around and compare weapons, plan out your skill tree, follow the story, etc.

I like starting each night off with some solo play just so I can get my bearings back.
i've been playing both solo (hunter level 18) and coop (soldier 21). i still really love playing solo. last night i stopped playing coop so i can play solo, i just want to relax more and take my time and stop rushing through the game.

Sceren said:
God I hate all of you so much right now.

I want to play so bad... all I do is sit at work and click refresh on this thread and read about you guys playing :(

Ha! That is the best thing about official threads, it can put your mindset in the environment of the game when you're stuck at work

There's no bank or locker for you to store weapons right? I guess I'm just going to have to create a bunch of mules and make deposits in split screen mode.

Top Bottom