• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Borderlands |OT| More guns than the population of the Netherlands

Truant

Been playing this for a few days with my girlfriend in system link co-op, and I can confirm that it's really awesome. Been playing a bunch of characters until I settled on this one, just level 9.

I'm a hunter (love pistols) and she's a solider. So far I've focused on the Gunslinger tree, trying to max out my crit bonus. Any other tips on the skills?

randomwab said:
At least you guys get to play it on Monday through Steam. UK Steam unlock is Friday. Ohh the humanity!

Should've gone in on a four pack with someone from the US! I hooked my buds up from UK and the Netherlands with an American key which means they should have it unlocked early if all goes to plan. :D

I'm loving that game (level 11), but they really didn't mask that they were imitating WoW. The color code for the weapons is exactly the same, also the skill tree splitted in 3 branchs, etc.

Also, the Halo references in the FPS part are very clear.

But even with this, the mix of generes is very original and works perfectly.

Damn, I'm really enjoying the game(PS3)My cuz, brought the game over for me to checkout. The audio is really good(DTS)The coloring in the game are very clean and vivid on my SONY XBR 34inch HDTV. I got to see how it looks on the V10(Living room) and Elite Kuro, tomorrow. I'm liking the floating jumps in the game. I got to lv.3 with the girl. Quick question, just in case I missed it, but is there anyway to map buttons in this game? I'm using the "Renegade" config(R1 for Fire and L1 for Aim)But L2 as crouch? Hell no. I want it to be the circle button. I like my FPS games to be on the 360, but it seems I got alot of my buddies playing this on the PS3. So PS3 version for me.

ShinobiFist said:
I'm liking the floating jumps in the game. I got to lv.3 with the girl. Quick question, just in case I missed it, but is there anyway to map buttons in this game? I'm using the "Renegade" config(R1 for Fire and L1 for Aim)But L2 as crouch? Hell no. I want it to be the circle button.

Yeah, it lack a "Uncharted" config :D

Sephon

Shoogoo said:
I have a class mod that says "Team Recharge Delay -26%"

What does that mean?

Perhaps it's a Team Shield Recharge Delay? So that your shield will start to regenerate faster? Try it and compare with before to after.

neoism

LocoMrPollock said:
Just got mine this evening and couldn't stop playing. Ended up putting in a 4 hour session and made it to level 10.

Game is awesome.
Damn I was hoping it would take a looooonnng time to get to level 50! :(

Sephon

2lxi2jd.gif
Kari's hot! :)

Anyhoo, got the game today. Seems I double dipped on the xbox since I couldn't take the risk of not getting the ordered game so I went to the story.
But this weekend I'll be leveling as much as possible, starting with split screen + beer and ending hopefully finding a good coop-team online with as little lag as possible.

Now the big question, brick, lilith or roland... choises choises

glaurung

Will be getting the PS version this afternoon.

The most fun weekend in October with Borderlands, Brütal Legend, NGS2, Uncharted 2 and World of Warcraft (the last one has gotten more fun again recently thanks to QuestHelper).

Edit: PSN glaurung.

Alex

Sephon said:
Anyhoo, got the game today. Seems I double dipped on the xbox since I couldn't take the risk of not getting the ordered game so I went to the story.
But this weekend I'll be leveling as much as possible, starting with split screen + beer and ending hopefully finding a good coop-team online with as little lag as possible.

Now the big question, brick, lilith or roland... choises choises

I'd plan around whatever your friends are doing, too much overlap isn't fun! In my opinion at least. Me and a friend are doing a nice Support Roland/Elemental Lilith combo.

K' Dash

Blizzard said:
Unless I'm greatly misunderstanding him, he's saying that the following are true:

1. He started at level 16, much further along in the game than the person he played with. HE was ahead, not his friend.
2. He then played for a while, saved, and quit.
3. He came back to the game, saw the save file with the new (correct) timestamp, indicating that it had saved his progress.
4. He checked the file, only to discover that he had gained no levels, and lost all the cool guns he got during laying co-op.

I don't think he meant it was an issue of just not getting credit for quests or quest items due to someone else being ahead in the game. It was an issue of losing all the EXP and guns he had gained during a play session. (correct me if any of this is wrong, of course)

Sooooo, this is interesting, I'll be helping a friend who's 7 levels under me, will I loose the progress or is this a bug?

Lord Phol

Seems like alot are playing Siren from what I can tell by this and the online thread :eek:, was gonna try her as well but I prefer the less crowded classes usually :7.

How does the character ratio look online for people who have the game?
Interested in all platforms but the question is manly directed towards PS3 users.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
OBSESSED!!!

Played my main group character again last night with my friends (Berserker) and got him up to 17.

We ended up unintentionally grinding the final arena-style skag quest that was ranked as level 18. When we started attempting this we were levels 15-16 and when we ended we were 16-17. The quest itself is madness, and it actually glitched on us quite a few times. Basically whenever someone dies the event stops, but the event itself still has enemies in the area, and seemingly wants to finish popping out the rest of the waves later, even if the event is over.

Lots of good times, and we're all getting quicker at saying "this gun is yours" "you need this" "oh man, this would be awesome for you". Very good group of people, and we all picked different classes so we're able to fall into our class roles in combat.

And Berserkers: train the ability to daze enemies. Hitting someone into a dizzy makes them run around at like 10% speed and basically lets you run right up to them and crit their faces to death. Gives you some more utility beyond just tanking. Totally awesome.

I've got these characters leveled up:

17 Berserker
12 Siren
11 Hunter
4 Soldier

Very much looking forward to taking the Berserker all the way up and then work on either my Hunter or Siren next.

SOOOOOO FUN

RubxQub

Truant said:
Been playing this for a few days with my girlfriend in system link co-op, and I can confirm that it's really awesome. Been playing a bunch of characters until I settled on this one, just level 9.

I'm a hunter (love pistols) and she's a solider. So far I've focused on the Gunslinger tree, trying to max out my crit bonus. Any other tips on the skills?
Check out the Rogue part of his tree (the hawk abilities).

Maxing out a hawk's damage potential and letting him be able to hit multiple people while healing you for all the damage makes the hunter that much crazier at dealing damage.

Most likely going to play my hunter next because I can already see the awesomeness that is the hawk. Watching him gib fools makes me go :D

Shoogoo

This game is amazing. Amazing.

I'm afraid of what will happen when we hit lvl50, but there is still time before that.

I love the item of the day, I had so much thrills for that class mod I almost felt like I was on ebay.

RubxQub

Shoogoo said:
This game is amazing. Amazing.

I'm afraid of what will happen when we hit lvl50, but there is still time before that.
Yeah...where the hell is the end-game content in this MMO? :lol

It really does feel that way, doesn't it? This game definitely has a finite lifecycle to it simply because your character DOES max out and I imagine finding new and awesome guns will lose it's appeal when you've already got such a great set.

Of course you could always create a new character and do it all over again, but I imagine it will be pretty rare for the average consumer to make it to 50 ever, let alone on multiple characters.

Great great game, though.

A testament to how good it is is readily found in the fact that I'm more than willing to look over some of the glaring problems like how collision detection on vehicles is way too restrictive or there is no ability to trade items with people.

TheFallen

RubxQub said:
A testament to how good it is is readily found in the fact that I'm more than willing to look over some of the glaring problems like how collision detection on vehicles is way too restrictive or there is no ability to trade items with people.
I assume you mean secure way to trade items? You can drop items for them to pick up.

Shoogoo

RubxQub said:
Yeah...where the hell is the end-game content in this MMO? :lol

It really does feel that way, doesn't it?

Exactly. Somehow, I hope that this zombie DLC will be the end-game content with multiple bosses that drop different weapons (I look at you, Bone Head) a little bit like what Sorrow's Furnace offered in Guild Wars if that rings a bell for anyone.

+ Since they're releasing it so soon, we can hope to have at least one other DLC of the same kind later on.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
*flies in*

RubxQub said:
Check out the Rogue part of his tree (the hawk abilities).

Maxing out a hawk's damage potential and letting him be able to hit multiple people while healing you for all the damage makes the hunter that much crazier at dealing damage.

Most likely going to play my hunter next because I can already see the awesomeness that is the hawk. Watching him gib fools makes me go :D

*spreads his arms over the expansive landscape before him*

Yes... yessss... you are all doing very well here...

*flies out*

RubxQub

Hawkian said:
*flies in*

*flies out*
:lol
TheFallen said:
I assume you mean secure way to trade items? You can drop items for them to pick up.
I know, but I wish there was just a way to open up a trade window or something. Also I'll never play this game online with people I don't know because I don't feel like having to deal with loot-thieves. Some kind of roll system with need/greed would be cool, but does this game lose favor with certain folks if it gets a little too MMOy?

Does anyone know how the gun to melee bonuses work? Namely do I have to have that gun active or simply equipped? I'd guess it would have to be the active gun, but then if playing as Brick, do I get the bonus when in berserker mode?

Made it level 11 as a soldier and I'm loving the game.

Question though, why is everything so clustered together (locations)? I thought this would be alot more spread out like Oblivion.

Cahill

Banned
Dr. Kitty Muffins said:

Question though, why is everything so clustered together (locations)? I thought this would be alot more spread out like Oblivion.

Nothing like Oblivion big, but I saw some rather large areas last night (30+ LV).

ToddG15

Can you coop cross platforms? Say I get the PC version and a buddy gets the 360 version, are we able to play together or is it restricted by whatever system you're playing on? I generally like my fps better with a mouse but my friend has a pretty mediocre pc nowadays, but a 360 and nice tv.

Also, can you coop from the same machine/tv/game disc? Like, can I have a buddy come over and we just play the coop game split screen?

TheFallen

Dr. Kitty Muffins said:

This isn't like Oblivion at all. You need to think of this more like World of Warcraft or a similar MMO. You're in a zone (Arid Badlands) right now and all of the missions are catered to your level range 1-20. In the Arid Badlands there are dungeons (Skag Gulley, the Mine, etc). Once you've done all the plot missions in the Arid Badlands zone, you will be leaving to another zone. This will continue till the end of the game.

It's actually bigger than Oblivion when you consider all the different zones and dungeons. Rust Commons East and West are pretty massive on their own.

Daigoro

made it to lvl 16 last night playing for 4 hours with a lvl 26 friend. splitscreen. i might try out some system link today.

addictive. collecting loot and leveling up is quite addictive. need more guns...

Just put an hour into the game.

My very weird first impression is that this is a really awesome FPS. For some reason I was expecting the feel on the gunplay to be a bit floaty like Fallout, but the guns really have weight to them like Halo, Crysis and Call of Duty 4. Really, realllllly happy about that.

Also, just found a SMG that sets things on fry. TOASTED SKAGS!!!

It's one of my fave games this year already, and I am basically still just playing the tutorial :D

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
So who's mostly playing single player only? Would anyone recommend the game based on SP alone, because that's where the majority of my time would be.

Remy

ToddG15 said:
Can you coop cross platforms? Say I get the PC version and a buddy gets the 360 version, are we able to play together or is it restricted by whatever system you're playing on? I generally like my fps better with a mouse but my friend has a pretty mediocre pc nowadays, but a 360 and nice tv.

Cross-platform play just doesn't happen, unfortunately.

Also, can you coop from the same machine/tv/game disc? Like, can I have a buddy come over and we just play the coop game split screen?

You know not reading the OP is a bannable offense, right?

The OP said:
Q. Do the console versions support split screen?
A. Yes. You can play split screen with 2 players on both the Xbox 360 and Playstation 3. However, it is not known whether or not you can utilize horizontal screen splitting. We have only seen vertical.

The hunter played to his strengths is really the lord of destruction, absolute favorite class. I have this legendary sniper that explodes people I never want to let it go.

"HAHAHA Do you like my pet?" :D

poweld

Hawkian said:
*flies in*

*flies out*
I, too, have been focusing my hunter to focus on maximizing my hawk's power. Love sending him out, having him explode my enemies, snipe a few heads, and get to send him out again.

Too awesome? Perhaps.

StUnNeR H2K

Third night in a row playing Borderlands and the longer I play the more exciting it gets... I have a level 27 Siren with a class mod that increases my fire damage by 44%, along with the 2nd level of the artifact that cuases fire damage going in and out of phasewalk.

Also it's extremely satisfying to watch and hear an enemy scream like a girl while burning in fire... :D

poweld said:
I, too, have been focusing my hunter to focus on maximizing my hawk's power. Love sending him out, having him explode my enemies, snipe a few heads, and get to send him out again.

Too awesome? Perhaps.

The hunter is broken. Half of his is tree is more damage, more damage faster, more damage more accurately, oh and also lets make sure your bullets bypass pesky shields.

Not the class to play if you want a challenge.

Baker

Banned
Anerythristic said:
The hunter played to his strengths is really the lord of destruction, absolute favorite class. I have this legendary sniper that explodes people I never want to let it go.

"HAHAHA Do you like my pet?" :D
Agreed. Plus, I just found out yesterday that pistols are also badass mid-range weapons. I'm going half gunslinger now.

I haven't been able to play as much as I'd like (only lvl 20), but I got some guys at work to buy it. I'll probably start a tank character tonight and play with them.

MMaRsu

Shoogoo said:
Paypal is never wrong, the user is

Well I am a first time paypal user, and I did the echeque thing. But it's already taken 8 days instead of 5-6 days. So now what. I called them up and they said it should clear today or tomorrow. THe fuck man.

anddo0

chubigans said:
So who's mostly playing single player only? Would anyone recommend the game based on SP alone, because that's where the majority of my time would be.

Yeah, I'd like an answer to this as well.

I'm thinking about picking this up with the Best Buy 2 for 1 deal. I just need some convincing about the single player.

poweld

Anerythristic said:
The hunter is broken. Half of his is tree is more damage, more damage faster, more damage more accurately, oh and also lets make sure your bullets bypass pesky shields.

Not the class to play if you want a challenge.
Eh, I'm not entirely sure I can agree with you. Yes, I can dole out lots of damage, but if I get stuck out in the open with a couple assault riflemen trained on me, I am in trouble. Can't take the hits too well.

poweld

anddo0 said:
Yeah, I'd like an answer to this as well.

I'm thinking about picking this up with the Best Buy 2 for 1 deal. I just need some convincing about the single player.
I have played it almost exclusively single player, and I'm having a great time with it. Not perfect by any stretch of the imagination, but very fun!

edit: Pardon the double. I seem to be more hyper when I don't drink coffee. Go figure.

Top Bottom