• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Borderlands |OT| More guns than the population of the Netherlands

TheFallen

chubigans said:
So who's mostly playing single player only? Would anyone recommend the game based on SP alone, because that's where the majority of my time would be.
I have a solo character and a co-op character. I can tell you this:

Co-op is incredibly fun. It's faster paced and much more difficult. The loot is always better and overall it's a different experience. Just make sure to play with friends or GAF groups. Most of the GAF groups I've put together have been excellent. A lot of people on the list don't want to play co-op though, which is silly, you guys shouldn't have added yourselves.

Single player is still great. There are some things you just miss out on when playing co-op. You don't really have the time to sit there and compare items, open up all the loot chests and take in the entire game when you've got people waiting on you. You'll miss almost all of the backstory of Pandora. I know I couldn't ever hear the annoying voice of Tannis over the talking co-op players and never had the time to read (only skimmed) the mission logs.

If you're going to play Borderlands alone for the majority of the time you'll still enjoy yourself. It's a great game, regardless of the amount of players involved. 90% of the press reviews you've seen have been based on SP only. Jeff Gerstmann from Giant Bomb only played co-op for the first time when he did the Quick Look iirc.

The only issue I have with co op is people need to learn how to be polite and loot properly.

I played with Dyslexic(sp?) a gaffer and he was an awesome looter, he found a chest called you over and you split the loot, we found a purple shotgun and he was playing soldier, he waited for me to give him the OK to take it.

I played with another gaffer that I wont call out by name, he pocketed an entire chest of purples after we just took down a sub boss with team work...I just quit.

Finished this last night in 4 player co-op. Level 37 hunter. Did every single mission! :D Total time was 1 day and 1 hour. Loved it. Started a new game +. Will be starting a new character hopefully sometime this weeekend to play with a buddy of mine that got the game as well.

Damn good game and while the ending is short, the battle to the end and final boss was damn epic so not sure why the ending is so frowned upon. Most games have shitty endings or no ending these days. I'm used to it. For me it was the journey to the end! :D

Olivero

So could we start posting are weapon pickups? So far I've found three purples. Anyone found an orange?
I'm playing hunter at level 22.
Equipped weapons:
RV10 B Vitriloic Justice (P) Revolver
D: 138
A: 94.8
FR: 1.3
3.7x zoom & x3 Corrosive
---------------------------------------------
LB470.2 Fearsome (B) Sniper
D:223
A:95.0
FR:1.4
+4 Magazine, 1.5x zoom, 150% Critical Hit Damage
---------------------------------------------

Pimpbaa

chubigans said:
So who's mostly playing single player only? Would anyone recommend the game based on SP alone, because that's where the majority of my time would be.

I'm having a lot of fun playing single player.

Teknoman

TheFallen said:
I have a solo character and a co-op character. I can tell you this:

Co-op is incredibly fun. It's faster paced and much more difficult. The loot is always better and overall it's a different experience. Just make sure to play with friends or GAF groups. Most of the GAF groups I've put together have been excellent. A lot of people on the list don't want to play co-op though, which is silly, you guys shouldn't have added yourselves.

Single player is still great. There are some things you just miss out on when playing co-op. You don't really have the time to sit there and compare items, open up all the loot chests and take in the entire game when you've got people waiting on you. You'll miss almost all of the backstory of Pandora. I know I couldn't ever hear the annoying voice of Tannis over the talking co-op players and never had the time to read (only skimmed) the mission logs.

If you're going to play Borderlands alone for the majority of the time you'll still enjoy yourself. It's a great game, regardless of the amount of players involved. 90% of the press reviews you've seen have been based on SP only. Jeff Gerstmann from Giant Bomb only played co-op for the first time when he did the Quick Look iirc.

There are people in the Borderlands group that dont want to play co-op? Whats the point of being in the group then? Its just like being in the L4D group and not wanting to team up for campaign/versus.

Baker

Banned
Anerythristic said:
The hunter is broken. Half of his is tree is more damage, more damage faster, more damage more accurately, oh and also lets make sure your bullets bypass pesky shields.

Not the class to play if you want a challenge.
How does that make it broken? If you ask me, it makes it FUCKING AWESOME.

I slowly crawl into a new area and find a suitable vantage point.

BANG

Some guy's head explodes.

The multipliers start stacking up. My damage is increasing. My health is regenerating. My accuracy becomes impeccable.

BANG BANG BANG

Those baddies didn't just lose their heads. Their entire bodies simply and elegantly erupt in a fine, bloody mist.

---
I don't get what your problem with bypassing shields is. It's an elemental attack and you'll find 50,000 weapons with it, so you can't single out the Hunter as being cheap. It's a necessary part of the game (just look at Sledge). I have fire and shock artifacts for Bloodwing that I switch out depending on the situation.

anddo0

Thanks, poweld and TheFallen.

I'm watching the Giantbomb quick look. I'll most likely pick this up next week.

Teknoman said:
There are people in the Borderlands group that dont want to play co-op? Whats the point of being in the group then? Its just like being in the L4D group and not wanting to team up for campaign/versus.

lol, I'll try out the co-op eventually. I tend to finish single player before venturing into the online realm. I didn't play RE5 co-op until half way through my second run.

What is this colour thing people are talking about with in regards to guns. Is it a quick way to notice a good gun without looking in-depth at the stats?

Keyser Soze said:
What is this colour thing people are talking about with in regards to guns. Is it a quick way to notice a good gun without looking in-depth at the stats?
Indicates quality/rarity.
The order is white, green, blue, purple, orange.

Baker

Banned
Keyser Soze said:
It tells the rarity of the item and usually rarer = better.

White -> Green -> Blue -> Purple -> Orange

After bitching about not finding anything Legendary, I lucked out and had two orange and a yellow drop in the span of about 20 minutes. An SMG with regenerating ammo and nasty damage, a corrosive revolver that deals 250 damage with a x4 elemental chance, and a shock sniper rifle that will bypass shields. I am now very happy.

Baker said:
How does that make it broken? If you ask me, it makes it FUCKING AWESOME.

Agrreeedd, I wasn't stating that broken equals BAD.

---
I don't get what your problem with bypassing shields is. It's an elemental attack and you'll find 50,000 weapons with it, so you can't single out the Hunter as being cheap. It's a necessary part of the game (just look at Sledge). I have fire and shock artifacts for Bloodwing that I switch out depending on the situation.

I was talking about the Trespass skill which is awesome, it can make every bullet bypass shields no matter what element. :D

BioNut

Banned
So how do yall think sales are going for boarderlands?

Think it can top 1 million in october on 360/ps3
and PC?

Deunnero

BioNut said:

and PC?

Well, the 360 version of the game is nowhere to be found around here in Ottawa. I guess "SOLD OUT" can be interpreted as a success!

Frawdder

Deunnero said:
Well, the 360 version of the game is nowhere to be found around here in Ottawa. I guess "SOLD OUT" can be interpreted as a success!
Also being among the top sellers on Steam is promising.

RS4-

Level 25 solo soldier, having those class only equips are pretty handy lol.

Auto regen ammo is too good. Infinite shotgun and rocket :lol By the time I'm finished reloading, the shots I just fired are already back.

I gotta figure out the math on the turret skills, deploy and refire. The wording makes it a little...puzzling.

Dunlop

Deunnero said:

yeah but in Canada, I think stores are holding back stock until the Walmart special ends

Grecco

Played co op finally yesterday with 3 friends. We spent half the time running into each other with the cars, or having duels. This game does have that Crackdown, make your own fun sort of thing.

Wallach

RS4- said:
Level 25 solo soldier, having those class only equips are pretty handy lol.

Auto regen ammo is too good. Infinite shotgun and rocket :lol By the time I'm finished reloading, the shots I just fired are already back.

I gotta figure out the math on the turret skills, deploy and refire. The wording makes it a little...puzzling.

The turret skills work like this:

Deploy: Cuts the overall time required in half.

Refire: Cuts the time required by 5 seconds per hit, no more than once every 2 seconds.

Think of your Scorpio cooldown as a flat number. Default, it requires 100 to be able to deploy, and you passively gain 1 per second from the point that your last Scorpio despawned.

Deploy cuts that requirement to 50. Refire removes 5 every time it procs, but there's a brief CD on it. The catch is that Refire works as soon as you deploy your turret, even though the CD normally doesn't start until the turret dies.

TheFallen

Anerythristic said:
The only issue I have with co op is people need to learn how to be polite and loot properly.

I played with Dyslexic(sp?) a gaffer and he was an awesome looter, he found a chest called you over and you split the loot, we found a purple shotgun and he was playing soldier, he waited for me to give him the OK to take it.

I played with another gaffer that I wont call out by name, he pocketed an entire chest of purples after we just took down a sub boss with team work...I just quit.
If someone is a loot whore, please mention them in the Borderlands co-op thread so we can remove them from the list. That's kind of the point. You're supposed to play with GAFers so you don't get stuck with PUGs who are dicks.

poweld

TheFallen said:
If someone is a loot whore, please mention them in the Borderlands co-op thread so we can remove them from the list. That's kind of the point. You're supposed to play with GAFers so you don't get stuck with PUGs who are dicks.
But I'm a loot whore! :D

Indrew

Neo Member
Deunnero said:

Phone the microplay on Merivale Rd. I got it two days ago there and they had a few copies left. Every EB I phoned was sold out, along with futureshop and bestbuy.

womp

Just snagged it last night and was able to get an hour under my belt before bed.

Quick question though - I'm playing as the Hunter and was wondering if there is the ability to dual wield pistols at some point? That would really kick ass!

DangerousDave said:
I'm loving that game (level 11), but they really didn't mask that they were imitating WoW. The color code for the weapons is exactly the same, also the skill tree splitted in 3 branchs, etc.

Also, the Halo references in the FPS part are very clear.

But even with this, the mix of generes is very original and works perfectly.
They did the color coding on purpose.. so it wasnt a new system to confuse players.. They mimicked a lot of things and even said them in interviews.. not sure why you wouldnt expect it when for the past year they said they were doing it to make it easier on players to understand and relate too.

Anerythristic said:

I would call him out please. If you don't then we will run into the same issues if other GAFers play with him thus wasting our time.

BioNut said:

and PC?
Eh no.. this isn't like Halo or something .. It will do good though.

still looking for a resource that explains weapon modifiers. Like what does my pistol's flashing 7 on the damage number mean? I've seen that on shotties and seen some explanation, but people seem to disagree about what it means.

Teknoman said:

Well in defense of the people on the list who maybe turned down an invitation or two, not all of us got on that list to coop every time an invite goes out. Sometimes I'm playing for 20 minutes and don't want to take a spot. Sometimes I'm waiting for rl friends to jump on. Just because someone says no right when you ask doesn't mean they're not ever cooping with Gaf. Just a thought.

Wallach

elrechazao said:
still looking for a resource that explains weapon modifiers. Like what does my pistol's flashing 7 on the damage number mean? I've seen that on shotties and seen some explanation, but people seem to disagree about what it means.

The flashing x7 means that each round fired has 7 points of impact, each one doing the listed damage (the number that flashes alternating with the x7).

elrechazao said:
I was under the impression that if your weapon flashes as x7 or x4 then it will multiply your ammo each shot..

So if my pistol had x4.. then 1 shot of ammo would actually be 4 bullets coming out but only take 1 piece of ammo from my inventory.

The Chef

TOO many games!

I still havent beat Uncharted. I'm planning on getting Demon Souls and Ratchet. I wanted to get Modern Warfare 2...God damn it when am I going to play this :(

TurtleSnatcher said:
I was under the impression that if your weapon flashes as x7 or x4 then it will multiply your ammo each shot..

So if my pistol had x4.. then 1 shot of ammo would actually be 4 bullets coming out.

I'm wondering if that multiplies my gun crazy skill (chance to fire two shots). Probably not, since it's not a "chance to fire double the amount of shots". But that would be awesome if my 7 shot pistol actually had a chance to shoot 14 shots :D

The thing I wonder is, how would a new player know what this means. It doesn't explain in game or in the manual.

Anerythristic said:

LOL.... OMG.

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Amneisac

elrechazao said:

I was getting ready to post the exact same question. I used to think it was how many rounds it fired (a coincidence early on) but that's not it, and it's not an elemental damage modifier. I don't get it. Of course, I also don't get some of the class mods that add to things that aren't really skills. I can't think of a good example but they're like +2 assault and stuff.

Baker

Banned
Anerythristic said:
Yeah this is the way to play (of course).

It was hilarious the first night I was playing with some gaffers and we opened up a chest with a rocket launcher. We stood around for a good two minutes going "I dunno, do you want it?"

bengraven

I realized today I wouldn't have enough money until after Christmas to pick this up. And on PC. I hope there are people playing this, on PC, in three months.

poweld

TurtleSnatcher said:

So if my pistol had x4.. then 1 shot of ammo would actually be 4 bullets coming out but only take 1 piece of ammo from my inventory.
It doesn't take up ammo for each point in the multiplier. Think of it as a shell: when you fire one shell (how your ammo is packaged) the end result is several scattershot coming out. The damage listed is for each shot in the scatter, since all won't necessarily hit (shooting a shotgun from too far away).

So, each squeeze takes 1 off your ammunition, with a maximum amount of damage being the damage listed times the multiplier, with the least amount possible being 1x the damage listed (excluding whiffs).

Neverfade

elrechazao said:
I'm wondering if that multiplies my gun crazy skill (chance to fire two shots). Probably not, since it's not a "chance to fire double the amount of shots". But that would be awesome if my 7 shot pistol actually had a chance to shoot 14 shots :D

You are correct.

It took me a while to figure it out, but Gun Crazy effectively just doubles your damage, so X * 2 where X = connecting bullets would be your GC damage total.

Gotta love those Mashers!

Zertez

DangerousDave said:
I'm loving that game (level 11), but they really didn't mask that they were imitating WoW. The color code for the weapons is exactly the same, also the skill tree splitted in 3 branchs, etc.

Also, the Halo references in the FPS part are very clear.

But even with this, the mix of generes is very original and works perfectly.
EQ had the color coded weapon tiers long before WoW, and more than likely EQ copied it from another game. Diablo 2 had a similar system. A lot of games use it now, because it works. Diablo 2 had the skill trees split into 3 branches as well. They set out to make a Diablo 2 type game, so it is not surprising they took some of the things that work with the game.

poweld said:
It doesn't take up ammo for each point in the multiplier. Think of it as a shell: when you fire one shell (how your ammo is packaged) the end result is several scattershot coming out.

Uhh.. thats what I said.. hence my last line.. "It only takes 1 piece of ammo" as opposed to the x4 that most people would assume[/quote]

Top Bottom