• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Borderlands |OT| More guns than the population of the Netherlands

Captain N

Kingbrave said:
Took me forever to find this on for the Xbox today.

All of the stores had it on the 360, but some of the stores I went to said they never even got the PS3 version at all. (west coast)

Anyone on PS3 want to play some co-op tonight? I've got a level 20, and a couple 14's, but I wouldn't mind starting a fresh character if necessary.

PSN: TelemachusD

neoism

Got one mo ??, can any of the 4 characters, use every gun in the game, I'm a Stealth/ long range type of player, but I think I want to use the siren, instead of the hunter, is that possible!??

Unicorn

neoism said:
Got one mo ??, can any of the 4 characters, use every gun in the game, I'm a Stealth/ long range type of player, but I think I want to use the siren, instead of the hunter, is that possible!??
Any character can use any weapon.

Certain characters have skills that boost the abilities of certain guns though.

Siren specializes in all the weapons that have elemental effects, but I've seen some class mods for her that boost SMG's.

But I use Shotguns with Siren.

Jayge

The one thing I dislike about this game is when you think you finally landed some pretty good loot, and the douchebag you once thought was a friend rolls up and goes "WHOA SHIT MAN LOOK AT MY DAMAAAAAAGE" with some ridiculous crap. I have near-constant loot envy. Anyone else feel like their loothood is a little underdeveloped? :lol

jasonng

I don't know if this has been answered yet but this thread is moving too fast for me to read everything. Regardless, for those who are playing co-op, is the game encouraging you guys to play with some sort of group dynamic or is everyone just spraying and praying?

I ask because I enjoy playing the support role in multiplayer games and I want to go full medic with Roland but none of the footage shows a real need for a "healer" in a group.

Teknoman

jasonng said:
I don't know if this has been answered yet but this thread is moving too fast for me to read everything. Regardless, for those who are playing co-op, is the game encouraging you guys to play with some sort of group dynamic or is everyone just spraying and praying?

I ask because I enjoy playing the support role in multiplayer games and I want to go full medic with Roland but none of the footage shows a real need for a "healer" in a group.

Im sure you could use a healer in the group. From what i've heard/seen, things can get pretty crazy. Im going half infantry and half medic myself.

mandiller

So, to all the people playing Borderlands. I'm thinking of playing either Soldier or Siren when the PC version comes out next week. From your experiences which would you recommend as a fun class for a casual player?

vhfive

jasonng said:

i play as a soldier coop and on a number of occasions my turret (+5 % health per sec )has saved both our lives.

Aptos

mandiller said:
So, to all the people playing Borderlands. I'm thinking of playing either Soldier or Siren when the PC version comes out next week. From your experiences which would you recommend as a fun class for a casual player?
Soldier is great for soloing; the ammo regen is clutch. Although you can do pretty well with Lilith using her phasewalk as an escape or ninja past a group of enemies.

vhfive

mandiller said:
i would choose siren for the phase walking ability. the turret is kinda lame.

personally i would choose hunter because bloodwing is a badass

EDIT
God's Beard said:
What does a Skag egg do? I picked one up, but it's not in my inventory or anything.
maybe quest item?

some of the weapons people are finding in forums are awesome. : (

RED TEXT: 'A beast of many forms - Fire, Lightning, and Poison.'
gun that alternates between elemental effects...

also, there seems to be a weapon level higher then legendary, which is white again, so i guess if a gun with a white name has red text in the info box, it ranks higher then gold/orange.

EzLink

Banned
well shiiiiiiiiittttttttttt. I just watched my friend play a lot of this. Looks totally incredibly unapologetically badass.

But ballad of gay tony is out next week, and new super mario bros wii a few weeks later... and this game would be perfect to play in the early months of 2010 or something.

But gah it was awesome. Do want now

I'm sure I'll cave and be playing it by the weekend

Aptos

Wow, 5 steps before the final boss I realized I had class in 10 minutes...... Damnnnn! This game is so good! Now I'm stuck for a boring 2 hour lecture on Mideval Romance Literature.... :(

Bah. Apparently there isn't any arena match making. My character was designed with PvP in mind and, since PvP seems like it will be very uncommon, I'm going to have to respec. :(

~Kinggi~

Banned
Really enjoyed the hour or so i played of it tonight on the 360. Seems like a pretty polished game. The humor is pretty good and the shooting action is actually decent, which is great for a huge loot game. Cant wait to play more.

burgerdog

Didn't think a game would pull me away from Uncharted 2 anytime soon..:D Oh, man, and to think I almost canceled my order at one point.

If I find a class mod that adds points into a skill I already have maxed, are those points useless unless I respec, or are they added on top of my maxed skill? I don't see the class mod bonus listed anywhere in the skill menu so I really can't tell.

TheFallen

BobFromPikeCreek said:
Bah. Apparently there isn't any arena match making. My character was designed with PvP in mind and, since PvP seems like it will be very uncommon, I'm going to have to respec. :(
Probably for the best. Bloodwings one shot everyone in PVP so far. I've won every non-Hunter duel.

Dipper145

mandiller said:
I'm playing as the siren and right now I'm level 29 or so. It's been a lot of fun, charging in with phasewalk and blowing stuff up, it can suck when you happen to be next to explosive barrels though. Charging in with my SMG and lighting everything up, and phasewalking every 16-ish seconds in big firefights is so good, and can be used to make an escape to let my shields regenerate. Its unfortunate that one of her skills is broken on the 360, the 800% melee damage one, which I was planning to use, but it'll probably be fixed for the PC.

If you light getting up close and personal with shotguns/smgs then Lilith is a great choice.

I think soldier would probably be easier to play as a casual player with the whole healing deal he has going on, but he didn't have anything exciting going on for me to play as him.

Cant0na

Banned
You are WAY too over powered in this game.

ive been doing all the side missions before moving into new areas, and now i have x9 Ammo regen, Health regen and a Shotgun that kills anything in one shot (lvl 28 soldier)

does the game ever get challenging before ending?

TheFallen said:
Probably for the best. Bloodwings one shot everyone in PVP so far.
That's why I've been trying to max Bloodwing and Trespass. :( Trespass is fairly useless in a non-PvP context.

Cant0na said:

ive been doing all the side missions before moving into new areas, and now i have x9 Ammo regen, Health regen and a Shotgun that kills anything in one shot (lvl 28 soldier)

Game is easy as hell alone, but get 3 more people playing with you and it way over-scales, making the game considerably difficult.

Rahk

Dipper145 said:
If you light getting up close and personal with shotguns/smgs then Lilith is a great choice.
I'm trying to decide what to use between shotguns and SMGs for the PC version. How are the shotguns? I heard they aren't that great.

Cant0na said:

Play coop. The difficulty ramp up is quite high when you add just another person.

Xevren

Rahk said:
I'm trying to decide what to use between shotguns and SMGs for the PC version. How are the shotguns? I heard they aren't that great.

Eh? Shotguns are awesome, just need to find a good one.

Wiggum2007

I've taken both a Hunter and a Siren up to around level 10 or so, but I can't decide which to go through for my whole playthrough. Decisions, decisions.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Rahk said:

I've been using a pretty good shotgun as a siren for most of my play so far, I think I have the most kills with them by a good amount. The SMGs are great when they do stuff like catch people on fire.

Cant0na

Banned
elrechazao said:
Play coop. The difficulty ramp up is quite high when you add just another person.

how does the difficulty go up? like more hit points on bosses/ more badass versions?

i thought they said only the number of enemies go up not the actual difficulty

Xevren

For each person added into a game the levels for each enemy increases. It also adds more enemies and more badass types also, so you're going to have your hands full. I played through most of the game solo really easy but even with just one other person the difficulty ramped up considerably.

Cant0na said:
how does the difficulty go up? like more hit points on bosses/ more badass versions?

more enemies, more badass enemies (actual title of the enemy). Yeah, its a good bit more difficult :D

TheFallen

BobFromPikeCreek said:
That's why I've been trying to max Bloodwing and Trespass. :( Trespass is fairly useless in a non-PvP context.
Trespass isn't that bad, the shield penetration is just only useful for the first shot or two on human enemies. The 5% extra bullet damage can be worth it in some builds, but generally points are better spent elsewhere. Borderlands characters have a ton of good talents which makes it tough to decide which ones to pick. Going down the Rogue/Sniper route you'll have some tough decisions, but make sure to get Carrion Call.

Cant0na

Banned
Xevren said:
For each person added into a game the levels for each enemy increases. It also adds more enemies and more badass types also, so you're going to have your hands full. I played through most of the game solo really easy but even with just one other person the difficulty ramped up considerably.

i guess ill start a new character and play with a buddy thats getting it tomorrow.

cause right now, the games too easy by myself with the regenerating ammo/health setup

Aptos

TelemachusD said:
If I find a class mod that adds points into a skill I already have maxed, are those points useless unless I respec, or are they added on top of my maxed skill? I don't see the class mod bonus listed anywhere in the skill menu so I really can't tell.
The guide says that class mod +skills can boost your skills above 5/5, a dev is quoted as saying some people achieved 10/5, lol. However, you need at least 1/5 in a skill to get the +skill bonus.

Aptos

Cant0na said:
i guess ill start a new character and play with a buddy thats getting it tomorrow.

cause right now, the games too easy by myself with the regenerating ammo/health setup
Soldier is very overpowered for solo in my experience.

Xevren

Cant0na said:

I do agree though, solo is just too easy. Really wish I could alter a difficulty level or something just to raise the levels of the enemies around me.

Dunlop

decided to create a match to let people join me as I did my first "boss" quest.Lvl 1 came in and stole all the items from the chest and the gun that was dropped by the boss.

I was ninja looted o_O

So awesome

Aptos

Cant0na said:

Once I get home I can look up the table in the guide that tells you exactly how enemies scale per player added, but it's linear I think, starting at 90% hp to 170% hp and 100% dmg to 250% dmg.

Also, more enemies and more badasses/badmuthas are added.

xDangerboy said:
more enemies, more badass enemies (actual title of the enemy). Yeah, its a good bit more difficult :D
lol Stuff like that's great. I remember the first time one climbed out of the hole I said to myself "dude, that skag looks badass". Then when I put my reticle on the skag it came up as "Badass Skag".:lol

Top Bottom