• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Borderlands |OT| More guns than the population of the Netherlands

EekTheKat said:
Picked up a gun last night that literally melts faces :lol It's a
alien
shotgun that apparently
shoots energy pellets that seemingly randomly procs a bolt of lightning that would melt off the face of the target. Infinite ammo but it can only shoot 3x (at a low weapon skill) before having to recharge.

District 9 spaghetti sauce gun confirmed?

RS4- said:
Found my first alien gun and triple rocket launcher!

549 dmg + x4 incendiary launcher
or
269 x3 + 77% fire rate launcher

GAF, help me decide :lol

edit - btw, I have that "and they'll be two friends gamed with fame" achievement if anyone is looking for it.

Oooh! I want that achivement!

Add me if you dont care. GT: NarcissisticJay

Im ready for some low level co op too--

Philthy

luxarific said:
I don't think he's being hypocritical - I'm sure he would be more lenient if he could. But 2K and the retail stores would flip if they unlocked the downloaded copies before the street date. Can't say that I blame them.

Why even talk about it publically in interviews then? It makes no sense. If the developer is going to tout that they hate DRM and they would rather pirates get at the game early rather than locking a single paying customer out, then they ought to stand by it, and should be speaking for their own software and publisher. If that isn't the case, he should have said nothing, or just flatly stated that DRM will be used and they agree'd to it and if paying customers get locked out, then tough shit.

At least he apologized. Still doesn't make it right.

It just lowers my opinion of Gearbox. They made a great game, but they're going to punching bags for pissing on their customers.

Blizzard

Banned
Philthy said:
Why even talk about it publically in interviews then? It makes no sense. If the developer is going to tout that they hate DRM and they would rather pirates get at the game early rather than locking a single paying customer out, then they ought to stand by it, and should be speaking for their own software and publisher. If that isn't the case, he should have said nothing, or just flatly stated that DRM will be used and they agree'd to it and if paying customers get locked out, then tough shit.
Do you have that interview in context? Unless I'm greatly mistaken, this part:

For example, false negatives are a disaster for everyone. I’d much rather have a false positive, and allow thieves to play, than prevent a paying customer from playing my game.

...is referring to having DRM cause problems for someone trying to play by labeling them a pirate, not causing problems for them because the release date hasn't happened yet. I get what you're saying, but I'm guessing the guy was only referring to after release date. And like I posted earlier, some people are already bitching that they think the DRM will be too lax and hackers will be playing online. (I'm not terribly worried as long as I can make my games friends-only and not allow random joiners...please tell me that's the case)

poweld

Philthy said:

At least he apologized. Still doesn't make it right.

It just lowers my opinion of Gearbox. They made a great game, but they're going to punching bags for pissing on their customers.
What... what the hell are you saying?

Release date != DRM. Is one of us high?

Alski

I work for M$ marketing! Hi!
Q: Mordecai's "Ransack" ability, do you have to do the killing or can your Bloodwing do it for you?

Description: "Killing an enemy increased the amount of loot you get from other enemies killed for a few seconds."

Philthy

poweld said:
Release date != DRM. Is one of us high?

If you find the PC version of the game in the stores today, pay your $50. You wont be able to play. You will be locked out. The game is still effectively released to you. Steam on the other hand tells you up front when you will be able to play when you pay. Other people who aren't "in the know" have already bought the game are pretty much screwed.

The point is, the game got into legit customers hands, without them knowing they couldn't play. Which is at the heart of that interview. Without DRM, it would have never been a problem.

Brannon

ScrabbleBanshee said:
I am also hating the lack of a storage locker/home space like FO3 had to stash all of my junk... I hate selling/dropping all of my collectors items. Any loot game needs an infinite stash space...

A common workaround is to make another character, splitscreen it, then pass some of your loot to that character.

My berserker is lv 30 and I got him speced entirely on melee damage.

Exploding huge dudes with one hit in rapid succession has turned Borderlands into a Fist of the North Star mmo:lol

oktarb

Before I get into my three very simple things I would fix I have to say I love this game. It’s a 4 player MMO at heart. We need a new term for this, I'd bet good money this model will take off like wild fire.

This is what I'd change:

Pick-ups: Ammo should be slip like cash is. Ammo and cash should be automatically picked up. Additionally you should be able to drop ammo. I realize the Soldier has focus on this but a simple talent should not over write a core function.

World Events: World events should transfer across characters. if we all beat 9 Toes in co-op that question should be completed for my character regardless whether or not I hosted. if there is logic to the current system I haven't discovered it yet.

Tutorial: We're all gonna have a lot of characters. Game needs a skip tutorial function.

oktarb said:
World Events: World events should transfer across characters. if we all beat 9 Toes in co-op that question should be completed for my character regardless whether or not I hosted. if there is logic to the current system I haven't discovered it yet.

Umm the quests do work like that. The only reason you might not get it is you are too far behind in a quest line from everyone else. But if you are all roughly in sync and should have the quest available, then it completes for everyone.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Ugh, the floaty jumps get my friends stuck in the worst places.
I have to travel out of the area and back to get my friends back (waste of time).

Since the game isn't that polished, could have used a 'force respawn' option.
If there is one, we didn't see it.

poweld

Philthy said:
If you find the PC version of the game in the stores today, pay your $50. You wont be able to play. You will be locked out. The game is still effectively released to you. Steam on the other hand tells you up front when you will be able to play when you pay. Other people who aren't "in the know" have already bought the game are pretty much screwed.

The point is, the game got into legit customers hands, without them knowing they couldn't play. Which is at the heart of that interview. Without DRM, it would have never been a problem.
Oh, the activation is required even for offline play? If so, then I apologize, and rescind my comment. Otherwise, this is pretty much non-news (if it is only restricting online play).

Wallach

robut said:
My berserker is lv 30 and I got him speced entirely on melee damage.

Exploding huge dudes with one hit in rapid succession has turned Borderlands into a Fist of the North Star mmo:lol

Have you tried to test whether Endowed works on Berserk attacks with the Explosive mod?

I am having the same experience though, Sting Like a Bee (which I picked up in lieu of Blood Sport which isn't very useful IMO) dashing between guys with ridiculous uppercuts and heads exploding made me think of FotNS. :lol

oktarb said:
Tutorial: We're all gonna have a lot of characters. Game needs a skip tutorial function.

I find what works best for side characters is just use them in MP. (playing the first 30 minutes over and over is kinda grating) Have someone invite your noobs to their games. You level up super fast if you're staying alive behind a couple of teens/twenties.

Zzoram

Question: How does the dash work with a brawler Brick? I put a point in it but I don't noticeably dash when I punch. Do I need a lot of points to see the effect? Is it even worth getting?

Wallach

Zzoram said:
Question: How does the dash work with a brawler Brick? I put a point in it but I don't noticeably dash when I punch. Do I need a lot of points to see the effect? Is it even worth getting?

Did you have a target? It only does it when you have an enemy to hit in your crosshairs (think Halo's plasma sword dash).

Anyone have a high level Brick? If so what kind of build are you using? I'm having a tough time figuring out how to spec mine, which is currently only at 21.

Drek

Brannon said:
A common workaround is to make another character, splitscreen it, then pass some of your loot to that character.
Can't you always buy back things you sell for the same value as what you received to sell them? If so that is effectively a stash in itself.

Drek

I know they've already got a Zombie DLC planned for this but I'd seriously love to see some additional classes introduced as DLC. I'm not one to ever actually pay for DLC, but for this game an expansion that added one or two classes would get my money.

Unicorn

OLD Haven
is the coolest fucking place I've been to. Most memorable location in any game I've played so far. Every time I go there I just have a blast duking it out. Reminds me of
Modern Warfare's Crash or District multiplayer maps

Anyone else agree?

Also, that
Alien
shotgun is AWESOME! Found one myself yesterday. If you're point blank it'll one shot just about anything and the effect it carries is so awesome!

EDIT

Level 32 Siren looking for someone to play with. I'll help you with quests if you're lower level than me. Have the "play with a dev" achievement too I can viral to you. Just played a bit with a level 20 guy and helped him in Dahl Headlands a bit.

GT is Yagya

Baker

Banned
forgeforsaken said:
Umm the quests do work like that. The only reason you might not get it is you are too far behind in a quest line from everyone else. But if you are all roughly in sync and should have the quest available, then it completes for everyone.
Yeah, I don't know why people keep making that shit up. I played co-op with close level people the first night and all the main quest lines transferred to single player.

oktarb

Baker said:
Yeah, I don't know why people keep making that shit up. I played co-op with close level people the first night and all the main quest lines transferred to single player.

I'm either on crack or missing something.

Last night I co-oped with a friend and we did 9 Toes. He hosted and I had not yet done the quest. We went in guns ablazng, birds a squacking and afists aflying. Dropped his three balls with easy.

We then turned in the qutest and quit for the night. Later that night I started up the same character in my own solo world and the quest was still available for me to run. Glitch maybe but I took this as normal from the other posting. (Self demerits for listening to web)

garath

oktarb said:
I'm either on crack or missing something.

Last night I co-oped with a friend and we did 9 Toes. He hosted and I had not yet done the quest. We went in guns ablazng, birds a squacking and afists aflying. Dropped his three balls with easy.

We then turned in the qutest and quit for the night. Later that night I started up the same character in my own solo world and the quest was still available for me to run. Glitch maybe but I took this as normal from the other posting. (Self demerits for listening to web)

Had you gotten to that stage of the questline yet?

The way they have explained it is certain quests have pre-requisites. If you have not done the pre-requisites, you can do the quests with someone else hosting but you will not complete them yourself, hence they will be available in your own game.

Blizzard

Banned
BobFromPikeCreek said:
A stash would be nice, but it's no big deal. Splitscreen makes it very easy to set up a mule.
For elite console gamers, that is. :mad:

And maybe the plumber achievement is for goomba-ing someone, or is that even possible (edit, beaten)? I wish the PC version had Steam achievements or something, like elite console gamers get.

plz don't ban me I only want featurez

Burger

Just wanted to chime in and say the sound design in this game is awesome. Guns sound great, for all the different types and the music! Oh the music is amazing, if you have a good HiFi turn this sucker right up.

Cipher

I found an SMG that shoots bullets that spiral out of the barrel and then ricochet off of surfaces. It's an RF2 Violent Bruiser but it doesn't have any red text, is this part of the gun's model or something else?

FinKL

I think the PC's extra optimization is a website that keeps track of all are characters to compare to others? Kinda like who in WoW you can look up your own personal character.
I find it more believable with the export weapon to .jpg option PC users will have.

Blueblur1

I'm waiting for GameFly to send me this. I resubscribed because everyone keeps talking about Borderlands and Halo 3's gotten stale.

This game is just so addictive. Myself and two friends bought a copy each for the 360 today and then played for 10 hours straight. Not had a sesh like that in years.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
To everyone playing it solo or thinking of playing it solo first: the game is kick-ass but definitely only comes fully alive in co-op. Even two players triples the fun, and the relatively simple AI doesn't seem to matter so much when the game is compensating for multiple players by cranking up the enemy levels and throwing a lot of nasty shit your way.

EekTheKat said:
Picked up a gun last night that literally melts faces :lol
Facemelting must be the new 'in' thing.

Face-meltaaaaah!

945680-eddie_riggs___heavy_metal__copy_super.jpg

K' Dash

TurtleSnatcher said:
That pistol is blue not orange.. Look at the color of the font on the weapon name.. those are the color classes.. not the actual color of the pistol. Also it being a boss drop item and from his drop tables - its probably why its a bit more powerful then a random purple.

Yeah I know that the font is the one that should be orange and not the gun itself, guess I just got lucky.

Teknoman

We could not possibly get the games into stores worldwide and out for digital distribution any earlier than planned. Less than 1% of all copies were sold, and if we unlocked the game today, illegal versions would most likely appear on torrents by the evening. I am sure all of you want our PC launch to be as successful as possible, and we simply won't be able to manage that any earlier than already planned.

The bolded kinda doesnt make sense to me...the rest either. I mean most stores still have the PC version either in the back or on shelf, so its not like its not already in stores world wide. Same goes for DD, since that's just easily downloaded.

As for illegal version, wouldnt the same thing happen on the "official" launch date regardless?

Mrbob

Since this game is selling so well on steam, it would be nice if Gearbox patched in steamworks support for the title. Would be easier just to use steam to set up multiplayer matches via steam than use a seperate in game system.

Aptos

Wow, this game gets seriously hard on "Playthrough 2" (i.e. new game+). You bleed out way faster, and the enemies are really hard again. I've already lost like $400,000 on deaths before I even
jumped Piss Wash Gully with the runner.

This game is gonna hold my attention for so long!

Teknoman said:
Less than 1% of all copies were sold, and if we unlocked the game today, illegal versions would most likely appear on torrents by the evening..

As for illegal version, wouldnt the same thing happen on the "official" launch date regardless?

That's exactly what I was thinking. It's not like releasing on release day is some sort of magic pill. I'm personally surprised it's not cracked and out already.

tekumseh

a mass of phermones, hormones and adrenaline just waiting to explode
I've been playing this for a couple of days. Up to a level 12, just started with the vehicles (jesus, they are bitches to control. i look like a drunken man driving:lol ), and I am loving the shit out of this game...

It suits my loot whoring sensibilities perfectly!

My user on XBL is: tekumseh

feel free to add me if you would like. I'm usually available early afternoons and later at night Eastern time. I look forward to it!

Top Bottom