• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Borderlands |OT| More guns than the population of the Netherlands

Zzoram

robut said:
The thing about crazy weapons is that you're not the magical snowflake that finds the only awesome weapons. EVERYONE finds awesome weapons. It hurts to sell them, but you or your friend will find something else awesome very soon. It's bad for the first 20 levels or so, but when you have a few backpacks (there are ten claptraps for a total of 40 plus slots) you become a warehouse.

I think I only found 2 Claptraps in Act 1, did I miss some? I got the trophy for doing all the quests in that area.

Moussi

Played siren till about level 17 and I have died a ton. She doesn't seem like a great solo character to me. Soldier on the other hand is a different story. I'll pick up siren again when I find someone to play co-op with but soldier is the way to go solo.

Zzoram

Zzoram said:
In Act 2, the Dahl Highlands or whatever, where are the rifle parts? I found 3 of the 4 around a valve that was fenced in and you need to drop in from above to get to. I can't find the last piece and I've run and jumped all over the place.

Also, how do you fast travel? I did the quest in Act 2 that supposedly unlocked it but it never told me how to use it. I've tried pressing every button with my map open but nothing happens. I also tried interacting with a New-U station but it didn't give me a prompt.

Lebron

Zzoram said:
In Act 2, the Dahl Highlands or whatever, where are the rifle parts? I found 3 of the 4 around a valve that was fenced in and you need to drop in from above to get to. I can't find the last piece and I've run and jumped all over the place.
Check that damaged vehicle or whatever in front of the valve, near the edge of the cliff(front of the valve). It's around there, you have to jump on the vehicle, it's in one of the openings.

Zzoram

Moussi said:
Played siren till about level 17 and I have died a ton. She doesn't seem like a great solo character to me. Soldier on the other hand is a different story. I'll pick up siren again when I find someone to play co-op with but soldier is the way to go solo.

My Brick is lvl 22 and he's soloing just fine. He uses sniper + combat rifle, with a sprinkle of shotgun. Whenever I'm getting hurt, I just use Berzerk and heal up.

Jayge

Zzoram said:
Also, how do you fast travel? I did the quest in Act 2 that supposedly unlocked it but it never told me how to use it. I've tried pressing every button with my map open but nothing happens. I also tried interacting with a New-U station but it didn't give me a prompt.
Hit the right (or left) bumper at the New U station to access the fast travel menu.

Zzoram

Lebron said:
Check that damaged vehicle or whatever in front of the valve, near the edge of the cliff(front of the valve). It's around there, you have to jump on the vehicle, it's in one of the openings.

When I play again I will, thanks. I played 6 hours today, 6 hours yesterday, and 2 on my first night. All solo, and this game is really addicting. I hope this game sells well so Borderlands 2 can have a bigger budget and have more content and be better polished.

Zzoram

vhfive said:
splitscreen on a sdtv is no good. the gameplay is fine but it cuts the top and bottom parts off of the menus, making it hard to see what your doing. :/

I'm pretty sure splitscreen on an HDTV cuts off the sides of the menu. You can just use RS to scroll around the menu.

chixdiggit

Currently playing a level 18 Soldier and loving the game so far. Playing Co-op is where it's at. The action is so much more intense.

Lebron

Moussi said:
I'm a level 26 Siren now and I haven't had a issue with soloing. She normally kills everything pretty fast and when I do get in a jam I just phase walk. I've probably died about 5 times so far. What skills did you invest in?

YagizY

Rad- said:
:D No I meant that because of Berserk (= fists), you consume a lot less ammo than with Lilith who eats it really fast. So when you're doing dungeon runs, you can easily keep close to full ammo the whole time with Brick, just picking up ammo every now and then, compared to Lilith's whose SMG ammo runs out in like 3 battles.

But yeah, there are weapons that have regenerating ammo as well.

Oh ok I get it :lol

I thought I was missing something huge.

eshwaaz

I haven't been following this thread so I don't know what the GAF consensus is, but I'm just not feeling this game. I'm fine with just running around, shooting guys and collecting loot, but the overall experience here feels unrefined and sloppy.

Character animation in general is weak (what's with the distractingly jerky weapon sway when sprinting?) and I find the sound design to be extremely lacking. Voices sound like placeholder, and in many cases it feels like sound effects are just plain absent. This game is all about shooting, yet there's no sound for bullets impacting bodies. Limbs get blown off, and bodies impact surfaces with considerable force and again - no corresponding sounds. Vehicles cruise along with no sense of wheels churning on gravel and dirt, and landing hard after a big jump is also silent aside from engine sounds.

I know that all of the above could be considered nitpicky, but small things like this add up. Little details and a consistent level of quality across the board are what makes games like Uncharted 2 and Batman: Arkham Asylum the top-tier games they are. I don't think Borderlands is terrible and I'm having a decent time with it I suppose, but there's a lot here that's lacking and I don't feel that the shortcomings have been reflected in the reviews.

eshwaaz said:
I haven't been following this thread so I don't know what the GAF consensus is, but I'm just not feeling this game. I'm fine with just running around, shooting guys and collecting loot, but the overall experience here feels unrefined and sloppy.

Character animation in general is weak (what's with the distractingly jerky weapon sway when sprinting?) and I find the sound design to be extremely lacking. Voices sound like placeholder, and in many cases it feels like sound effects are just plain absent. This game is all about shooting, yet there's no sound for bullets impacting bodies. Limbs get blown off, and bodies impact surfaces with considerable force and again - no corresponding sounds. Vehicles cruise along with no sense of wheels churning on gravel and dirt, and landing hard after a big jump is also silent aside from engine sounds.

I know that all of the above could be considered nitpicky, but small things like this add up. Little details and a consistent level of quality across the board are what makes games like Uncharted 2 and Batman: Arkham Asylum the top-tier games they are. I don't think Borderlands is terrible and I'm having a decent time with it I suppose, but there's a lot here that's lacking and I don't feel that the shortcomings have been reflected in the reviews.
Jesus. If shit like this can turn you off a game it's amazing you even enjoy this hobby.

Insaniac

Playing dual soldiers with my brother is an abslute blast. Nothign like finding a little nook and hunkering down with two turrets against a couple badass skags

jiffy38

I am a level 13 Soldier, and I just find myself getting my $%^ kicked all the time. I dont know what it is but seems in seconds i usually lose my shields and die shortly after. This is with many enemies I encounter. Any idea how I can improve my character? Maybe I made poor skill point choices, focused on increasing bullet damage and now working on sheild re-charge.

Zzoram

jiffy38 said:
I am a level 13 Soldier, and I just find myself getting my $%^ kicked all the time. I dont know what it is but seems in seconds i usually lose my shields and die shortly after. This is with many enemies I encounter. Any idea how I can improve my character? Maybe I made poor skill point choices, focused on increasing bullet damage and now working on sheild re-charge.

get scoped guns and run behind cover when your shields are down

Deacan

9/10 NeoGAFfers don't understand statistics. The other 3/10 don't care.
Some of the class items you pick up are nice, on Brick I got a item that gives +26% extra damage to my team.

I've also got my first orange item, a Revolver that fires 6 bullets per a shot with no spread. this is at level 26.

eshwaaz

BobFromPikeCreek said:
Jesus. If shit like this can turn you off a game it's amazing you even enjoy this hobby.

It's the overall package. As I said, I'm not saying it's garbage. I'm saying that, compared to what else is out there, there are aspects of Borderlands that feel very amateurish. Clearly you disagree, but sloppiness like this gets under my skin.

Jonsoncao

Banned
ela4ow.jpg

the description of weapons FTW, thats where Fallout 3 crimpled

Insaniac

has anybody tried to figure out what the various corporations do to the weapons?

I know that Torgue gives the weapon a higher Fire rate and that Tediore gives them a faster reload speed

other than that though I have found any similarities between corporations

okay I I think Jakobs increases damage, SnS munitions has increased mag size, and Vladof also has increased rate of fire

magus

How does respecing work in this game? Is it expensive? Can you do it as many times as you want?

Edit: Does the price to respec increase each time you do it?

Insaniac said:
has anybody tried to figure out what the various corporations do to the weapons?

I know that Torgue gives the weapon a higher Fire rate and that Tediore gives them a faster reload speed

other than that though I have found any similarities between corporations

okay I I think Jakobs increases damage, SnS munitions has increased mag size, and Vladof also has increased rate of fire
The strategy guide explains it all from the devs. Each one has like boosts and strengths.

I ran into a sniper that had identical stats to the one I had.. exact properties and +'s and dmg.. but it was slighlty named different because of the handle on the gun.. Thought that was interesting.

magus said:
How does respecing work in this game? Is it expensive? Can you do it as many times as you want?

Yes you can respect whenever.. its a little pricey but not horrible.

Tokubetsu

osirus said:
So, Siren is the most popular choice? I play with her too (pun. fucking. indented.).

Granted I haven't played yet but so far GAF is the only place I've seen this siren talk. all my friends with the 360 version and their friends are basically only using Mordecai (sniper) and Roland (the soldier)

Takuhi

Zzoram said:

It's probably the one that's in the exploded ruins of a car on the other side of the road?

Rad-

osirus said:
So, Siren is the most popular choice? I play with her too (pun. fucking. indented.).

From what I've played, Mordecai is by far the most popular choice. It's pretty rare to get in a group without at least one Mordecai. Soldiers are plenty as well. Brick seems to be the least played class.

methos75

Banned
Zzoram said:
I think I only found 2 Claptraps in Act 1, did I miss some? I got the trophy for doing all the quests in that area.

Man I thought I did every quest in the first area, but I got no trophy, wonder what I missed

Brannon

Gotta say, rocket launchers with electric shock attack is da sparkly bomb. Soon I may find an artifact that gives me shocking punches.

Goddamn. Balrog-rushing bastards up and down the wasteland with face-melting punches.

OH GOD I CAN'T WAIT.

Justin

haha, I am 24 and just tried a level 21 where some huge ass bird flew in a bombed me to hell. Going to have to try this one later.

Brannon said:
Gotta say, rocket launchers with electric shock attack is da sparkly bomb. Soon I may find an artifact that gives me shocking punches.

Goddamn. Balrog-rushing bastards up and down the wasteland with face-melting punches.

OH GOD I CAN'T WAIT.

you will. you'll also find artifacts that give you shock punches, fire punches, exploding punches, and acid punches.

Natakuu

Banned
Finally got around to playing this game some last night. Played with some friends the entire time and got to level 15, definitely enjoying the game a lot so far:D

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Moussi said:

You're doing it wrong.

Get an elemental SMG. Spam SMG while raising your skills to daze per bullet hit.

??????

PROFIT!

Also I still HAVE YET TO GET A SHOCK/COROSIVE WEAPON *sigh*. Despite the fact that story-wise I'm "leaving Fyerstone." So annoying as these last two "elements" are the last kills I need for "12 Days of Pandora" and their respective achievements.

d0c_zaius

got up to 27 on my hunter. the game is good but seems to be lacking a certain compelling element to keep me going. I feel like im playing WoW, doing all the crappy quests to get to a new area thats pretty much the same thing. I kinda expect the story to be crap as its a MP focused game although im surprised at how bad the AI is sometimes given the type of game it is.

Im using all purple level weapons, which are basically just normal weapons with one thing that makes them "special". I can understand guns being the driving force to keep going, but to me they seem like 4 types of the same thing, with minor differences. I just dont see the OMG 7 billion guns thing at all. And some of the designs are just ugly and silly, two scopes?!?

Probably the most annoying thing is the difficulty with MP. Im either way too high level for the people around me, and therefore 1 shot everything for 1 exp. Or Im 1/2 levels below and get my shield and health dropped to nothing in one shot. Either way, someone has to die repeatedly for hours while the other person does all the work, until either of us gets to the point where we actually see damage higher than 1.

Ill keep at it for one playthrough to see how it continues with the weapon progression, but I guess Im not feeling it like a ton of others are.

Zzoram

methos75 said:
Man I thought I did every quest in the first area, but I got no trophy, wonder what I missed

I don't think I missed a Claptrap, so that might've been what you missed. There's one you might not do if you didn't go deep enough into the Lost Caves while collecting crystals.

Zzoram

TheSeks said:
You're doing it wrong.

Get an elemental SMG. Spam SMG while raising your skills to daze per bullet hit.

??????

PROFIT!

Also I still HAVE YET TO GET A SHOCK/COROSIVE WEAPON *sigh*. Despite the fact that story-wise I'm "leaving Fyerstone." So annoying as these last two "elements" are the last kills I need for "12 Days of Pandora" and their respective achievements.

You can get corrosive kills by shooting green barrels near enemies. That's how I got 12 Days of Pandora before getting a corrosive weapon. I got at least 1 shock weapon from a quest boss.

Top Bottom