• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Borderlands |OT| More guns than the population of the Netherlands

Zzoram

So, apparently elemental mods for your class skill don't stack? I got the shock one, applied it, got the fire one, applied it, and it seems the fire one overwrote my shock one. If I knew that would happen I would've probably kept shock since I'm a Brick and shock stuns.

hitoshi

TheFallen said:
You realize these are design decisions of MMOs, right?

He kept the missions because those missions are not from the plot, they're always saved side-missions. Even if you were level 1 and your co-op team completed a lvl 30 side mission, you'd get that saved.

After a few levels enemies become worthless for xp, this is so you learn to keep moving in the game and stop grinding on old ones. You're level 22, you shouldn't be killing lvl 17s.

What you say is absolutely logical, up until the quest I've described: I don't have a solution right now to the problem of
dead people
, but that is something that should never happen.

And I am forced to grind on the older levels If i want to play with my buddies: they don't want to spoil they fun by seeing things they should see at least for a dozen of hours, and I'm not capable of hosting. I hope you see my problem. The real concern for me are the glitches described.

Apart from that, borderlands is mad fun and it's the third game in this generation which I have played for more than 20 hours. TH2 is on the top of the board with 200 hours (X360), then Oblivion (around 100 hours), and now this. Also, I'm constantly kicking the butt of my editor in chief for not letting me review this pure awesomeness.

Grecco

This game is reeeeeeal fun when you get out of firestone/arid bad lands.
Fighting other guys in cars patroling the wasteland is crazy fun.

Zzoram said:
So, apparently elemental mods for your class skill don't stack? I got the shock one, applied it, got the fire one, applied it, and it seems the fire one overwrote my shock one. If I knew that would happen I would've probably kept shock since I'm a Brick and shock stuns.

Yeah I was a bit disappointed in this.

kamspy

I had an upper respiratory infection when this came out.

Played the first couple days on wicked amounts of Robitussin DM MAX.

Feeling better today and playing sober. Gotta say it's lacking now without the 'Tus. Still freakin great, but with the 'Tus is was an 11/10

Baka Zeitgeist

pluck my tasty grapes
Zzoram said:

Go to your skill page, elemental mods should be beside your main power-up, you can change them back and forth from there...

Grecco

Zzoram said:

For the Berserker? you can change back. Ive got Fire one, Shock one and Incendiary 2. (Which makes people explode ala fist of the north star) :lol

RS4-

FinKL said:
Haven't played the game yet, but wouldn't that be hard to decipher since the colors are so similar?
The other way to distinguish between colors and rank is the order they appear in on the left hand side.

it's not a great way to think it's your best weapon though.

Game needs a mini map.

I think there's a glitch when you're playing coop, turn in a mission then quit. I reported four missions, got the XP and rewards then quit.
Continued where I left off and I got to turn in again lol.

I think this is one of those really random ones an not something I can reproduce every single time.

Someone mind telling me the point if explosive elementals?

Rogosh

FinKL said:
Haven't played the game yet, but wouldn't that be hard to decipher since the colors are so similar?

It's not too bad from what I've experienced so far. I have an orange shotgun and a yellow sniper rifle and it isn't to hard to tell the difference. I'd only see a minor problem if the player is color-blind, but the difference between the 3 isn't that great. You'll still be basing it's value on the stats/effects the weapon has.

bengraven

Amir0x said:
It's just that everything in here is pretty lame. Mission design is lame. Gunplay is inferior to real FPS. The RPG-elements don't go far enough.

But somehow taken together, I'm finding myself addicting to it.

So it shares that with GTA.

Can someone help me out? I'm doing the quest where
you have to collect the Sniper rifle pieces and the map says one of them is under this bridge part near a hut, but I can't find the piece at all.

Neverender said:
Can someone help me out? I'm doing the quest where
you have to collect the Sniper rifle pieces and the map says one of them is under this bridge part near a hut, but I can't find the piece at all.

protip for all weapon collection missions: the map indicator does not in fact indicate where each piece is, but rather the general area for all four pieces. All four pieces are near that area, in various places on roofs, in houses, on the bridges, etc.

elrechazao said:
protip for all weapon collection missions: the map indicator does not in fact indicate where each piece is, but rather the general area for all four pieces. All four pieces are near that area, in various places on roofs, in houses, on the bridges, etc.

Yeah I just found it thanks :D

Grecco

elrechazao said:

This is true. The Revolver took me ages.

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
@ Rogosh: thanks. I think I was just a bit unlucky too with the monster that spawned. Second time I was around, there were only a bunch of much weaker skags

By the way, has anyone encountered an endless amount of Alpha Skags at the end of the Lost Cave? I counted, killed 18 before I ran out of bullets (level 17 right now). They just kept coming. I wonder if it is a bug/glitch, or if that pit is meant to be an all-ought slaughterfest. I'll check it out again when I'm holding more firepower :).

Anyone interested in starting a fresh NG+ tonight around 7:00 EST? I finished mostly solo with a 36 Siren and would like to go through again with a good challenge.

Rei_Toei said:
@ Rogosh: thanks. I think I was just a bit unlucky too with the monster that spawned. Second time I was around, there were only a bunch of much weaker skags

By the way, has anyone encountered an endless amount of Alpha Skags at the end of the Lost Cave? I counted, killed 18 before I ran out of bullets (level 17 right now). They just kept coming. I wonder if it is a bug/glitch, or if that pit is meant to be an all-ought slaughterfest. I'll check it out again when I'm holding more firepower :).

Same thing here with the Lost Caves. I don't think it's a bug. I think it's a way to make the loot at the VERY end of that cave very difficult to get.

By the time I realized there were two gun chests back there I was almost out of ammo, and getting destroyed by Skags. My wife and I had to turn in for the night and now I can't stop thinking about what kind of awesome weaponness might be in those two chests.

The first thing I'm doing when I boot this game up again is going for those two chests.

poweld

Alright, I was a hunter specced for Bloodwing, but then I found a class item that regenerates pistol ammo at the same time as finding an orange revolver. OK, let's try speccing pistols!

I am now UNSTOPPABLE. Damn. Almost feels like cheating. (almost)

poweld said:
Alright, I was a hunter specced for Bloodwing, but then I found a class item that regenerates pistol ammo at the same time as finding an orange revolver. OK, let's try speccing pistols!

I am now UNSTOPPABLE. Damn. Almost feels like cheating. (almost)

I love my pistol spec as well, it's so fun.

Sushen

I picked up this game yesterday, mostly because my friend told me the game is sold out most places. Yes, I need some boost from hype to buy games.

Rad-

I'm playing Brick and Lilith. Biggest difference: defense (duh). Enemies two/three shot Lilith on 4 player co-op, while Brick can tank ~2 enemies (more if they are just cannon fodder) with berserk without losing much health.

With Brick gameplay (in full co-op difficulty) is basically support your team with weapons until berserk charges and then lure the enemies to you. You still can die pretty easily tho if you're not careful. This is something that surprised me a bit. Everyone was saying that Brick is the ultimate tank and I kind of got the impression that I can just berserk and go sit next to an enemy pack. Well, he still can die pretty easily when there's 2+ enemies. One of the best things about him is that ammo never ends.

With Lilith I have to use corners pretty much constantly (again, on full co-op), man she's weak physically. But god damn she kills stuff fast with 4x flame SMG. DoT's are crazy powerful in this game. Why? Because same type of DoT's stack. Again, this surprised me because usually in games this is not the case.

Fun game. I love it how the full party co-op really changes the game. It becomes so much harder and you have to play very differently from single player.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I guess I got really lucky finding an eridian weapon last night. I got it as a level 24 and it has infinite ammo and shoots these crazy shock bullets that completely destroys shields, it also looks really awesome.

Tobor

Is there known bug at the beginning of the game? Before you talk to the doctor, the robot will hang and just sit there, and there doesn't seem to be a way to get him proceed. I got one of my characters past it by exiting and starting over, but it didn't work for another. Am I missing something obvious?

neoism

OK so WTF, do you only have 12 slot for stuff the whole game. Also how do you unlock the 3rd and 4th equipment slots!??

Tobor

neoism said:
OK so WTF, do you only have 12 slot for stuff the whole game. Also how do you unlock the 3rd and 4th equipment slots!??

Yeah, this is a really bizarre choice for a loot game. How do you not at least have a storage chest somewhere? Are they holding that for DLC?

Tobor

Tobor said:
Is there known bug at the beginning of the game? Before you talk to the doctor, the robot will hang and just sit there, and there doesn't seem to be a way to get him proceed. I got one of my characters past it by exiting and starting over, but it didn't work for another. Am I missing something obvious?

To answer my own question, apparently this is a glitch that people are experiencing. How does QA miss a showstopper bug in the tutorial? :lol

neoism said:

Tobor said:
Yeah, this is a really bizarre choice for a loot game. How do you not at least have a storage chest somewhere? Are they holding that for DLC?

I thought for each of those little dudes you rescue, you get more storage, like up to 47 additional slots or something like that.

eXistor

I'm still hooked on the game, I'm up to level 30 now and my Bloodwing (Mordecai) is almost maxed, I just need his colldown time to go down. He's absolutely viscious now, taking out dudes left and right and me basically just finishing up after him.

Zzoram said:

Uh just highlight the mod in your talent skill tree.. and you can choose to whatever one you want.. even back to normal..

Tobor

SHOTEH FOCK OP said:
I thought for each of those little dudes you rescue, you get more storage, like up to 47 additional slots or something like that.

That's fine, but right now I'm level 12, I have only 12 slots, and I'm out of room. Loot gamers are pack rats by nature, you have to have some sort of storage chest. It's action RPG design 101.

I'm enjoying the game overall, I don't want to sound like I'm trashing it.

Cant0na

Banned
Tobor said:
That's fine, but right now I'm level 12, I have only 12 slots, and I'm out of room. Loot gamers are pack rats by nature, you have to have some sort of storage chest. It's action RPG design 101.

I'm enjoying the game overall, I don't want to sound like I'm trashing it.

cause youre not supposed to horde shit. when you get a better gun sell your old one.

you'll get too many items in this game. later on you wont even pick up high value stuff because of the sheer number of them.

Loved the game, but I'm returning it.

The PS3 version is too f'n buggy for me. Sound cuts in-and-out, performance blows, and it crashed.

No thanks.

If this isn't a pump-and-dump title, I will gladly re-buy after a performance/bug-hunt patch.

ALaz502 said:
Same thing here with the Lost Caves. I don't think it's a bug. I think it's a way to make the loot at the VERY end of that cave very difficult to get.

By the time I realized there were two gun chests back there I was almost out of ammo, and getting destroyed by Skags. My wife and I had to turn in for the night and now I can't stop thinking about what kind of awesome weaponness might be in those two chests.

The first thing I'm doing when I boot this game up again is going for those two chests.

Yea its not endless.. I killed them all somehow and got the chests :)

Aaron

Cant0na said:
cause youre not supposed to horde shit. when you get a better gun sell your old one.

you'll get too many items in this game. later on you wont even pick up high value stuff because of the sheer number of them.
It's seriously hard to play alone because of this. You need another player just to pick up all the cool guns all over the place.

YagizY

Rad- said:
I'm playing Brick and Lilith. Biggest difference: defense (duh). Enemies two/three shot Lilith on 4 player co-op, while Brick can tank ~2 enemies (more if they are just cannon fodder) with berserk without losing much health.

With Brick gameplay (in full co-op difficulty) is basically support your team with weapons until berserk charges and then lure the enemies to you. You still can die pretty easily tho if you're not careful. This is something that surprised me a bit. Everyone was saying that Brick is the ultimate tank and I kind of got the impression that I can just berserk and go sit next to an enemy pack. Well, he still can die pretty easily when there's 2+ enemies. One of the best things about him is that ammo never ends.

With Lilith I have to use corners pretty much constantly (again, on full co-op), man she's weak physically. But god damn she kills stuff fast with 4x flame SMG. DoT's are crazy powerful in this game. Why? Because same type of DoT's stack. Again, this surprised me because usually in games this is not the case.

Fun game. I love it how the full party co-op really changes the game. It becomes so much harder and you have to play very differently from single player.

Explain? I'm only a level 18 Brick right now, how do you get infinite ammo?

Tobor

Cant0na said:

I stand by what I said, it's a bad design decision. I just listened to the Bombcast and they said the same thing. Guns are being put together at random, and sometimes there's a weird crazy weapon you want to keep just to show off. Hopefully they'll get feedback and fix it for the expansion.

Tobor said:
I stand by what I said, it's a bad design decision. I just listened to the Bombcast and they said the same thing. Guns are being put together at random, and sometimes there's a weird crazy weapon you want to keep just to show off. Hopefully they'll get feedback and fix it for the expansion.

splitscreen mule

The thing about crazy weapons is that you're not the magical snowflake that finds the only awesome weapons. EVERYONE finds awesome weapons. It hurts to sell them, but you or your friend will find something else awesome very soon. It's bad for the first 20 levels or so, but when you have a few backpacks (there are ten claptraps for a total of 40 plus slots) you become a warehouse.

Zzoram

In Act 2, the Dahl Highlands or whatever, where are the rifle parts? I found 3 of the 4 around a valve that was fenced in and you need to drop in from above to get to. I can't find the last piece and I've run and jumped all over the place.

Rad-

YagizY said:
Explain? I'm only a level 18 Brick right now, how do you get infinite ammo?

:D No I meant that because of Berserk (= fists), you consume a lot less ammo than with Lilith who eats it really fast. So when you're doing dungeon runs, you can easily keep close to full ammo the whole time with Brick, just picking up ammo every now and then, compared to Lilith's whose SMG ammo runs out in like 3 battles.

But yeah, there are weapons that have regenerating ammo as well.

Top Bottom