• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Borderlands |OT| More guns than the population of the Netherlands

MrDaravon

Mothrakk dropped an alien rifle thingy for me that had infinite ammo (w/a cooldown period) with homing bullets that looked cool, but was horribly impractical (it was so flashy it was hard to see anything when you were firing it). Damage on it was so-so for when I got it, wound up selling it.

neoism

Magnus_Bulla said:
How on Earth did you manage such a thing?
I had 4 games I haven't played in years, and they all traded in for $53, at gamestop. You get an extra $20 dollars if it's 4 games!

Cant0na

Banned
what a shit ending. wtf gearbox

the final "boss" didnt even drop anything good, and only 200k for the last mission? wanted to shoot that cheap bitch

Blizzard

Banned
Cant0na said:

the final "boss" didnt even drop anything good, and only 200k for the last mission? wanted to shoot that cheap bitch
On the plus side, now you get to try new game+ and see if it's any good. I think I've seen some negative comments from you on the game -- do you still consider it worth playing overall?

Someone was also claiming there were tons of reports of people losing weapons/items/experience etc. after playing in co-op, but the Gearbox forums are listing that as a low/very low frequency occurrence. I have only seen one person mention it happening on this forum, but who knows.

Cant0na

Banned
Blizzard said:
On the plus side, now you get to try new game+ and see if it's any good. I think I've seen some negative comments from you on the game -- do you still consider it worth playing overall?

Someone was also claiming there were tons of reports of people losing weapons/items/experience etc. after playing in co-op, but the Gearbox forums are listing that as a low/very low frequency occurrence. I have only seen one person mention it happening on this forum, but who knows.

nah, i still love the game. storyline was garbage from the start, but the shooting/rpg gameplay is awesome

22 hours spent, and i'll try to get 50 now. after i played a few matches of co-op during my single player run, it messed up my achievements. i couldnt get my 25 kills with elemental weapons achievements. my only problem was the lack of challenge. hopefully the second run will be a bit harder now with more powerful enemies

Blizzard

Banned
Cant0na said:
nah, i still love the game. storyline was garbage from the start, but the shooting/rpg gameplay is awesome

22 hours spent, and i'll try to get 50 now. after i played a few matches of co-op during my single player run, it messed up my achievements. i couldnt get my 25 kills with elemental weapons achievements. my only problem was the lack of challenge. hopefully the second run will be a bit harder now with more powerful enemies
A pity your achievements got messed up. Everyone seems to say that it's MUCH harder with 2-4 players in co-op.

Just beat the game. The final stages were really, really fun with 4 people. However, the ending was total shit and the credits were long and unskippable. Boo-urns. Anyway, pretty fun game.
Almost got the Platinum, too. Just a few more bronzes and I'm set. :D

grumble

Revolutionary said:
Just beat the game. The final stages were really, really fun with 4 people. However, the ending was total shit and the credits were long and unskippable. Boo-urns. Anyway, pretty fun game.
Almost got the Platinum, too. Just a few more bronzes and I'm set. :D

I just beat the game too. The credits were skippable, at least on PS3. Just pressed circle and I'm back to the game.

How do you start New Game +?

Cant0na said:
Is that what caused that? I definitely have more than 25 corrosive kills but no achievement. If I start a new character and do it will I get the achievement?

Oddly enough Im kinda enjoying the story.. Its not amazing but it seems to be enough.

Also the credits were kinda funny.. I watched the credits in the options (haven't beaten the game) but the "Thank you's" that some of them do are hilarious..

"Your mom"
"You people for reading these really long credits.. I guess you do care"

Those made me smile hah

Cant0na

Banned
BobFromPikeCreek said:
Is that what caused that? I definitely have more than 25 corrosive kills but no achievement. If I start a new character and do it will I get the achievement?

it happened to a few more people after switching between single player/co-op runs.

starting a new character fixes it......supposedly

So I hit lvl 20 .. I'm moving so slow.. I suck in FPS games.. but at the same time I'm digging through every crevice to grab anything. I just fought
Sledge
and man that was an insane fight.. I died the 1st attempt.. the 2nd one I had to use 2 second winds.. the second one barely got through. It was crazy..

The room was so small so it was hard to traverse.

By the way the weapon that dropped from him
Sledges Shotgun
Why does this thing suck so much? 2 rounds.. auto fire and they are so spread out with crappy accuracy. Then it takes like 5 seconds to reload. Its horrible.

Anyways.. What helped against him was my Hawk had the electricity element on him.. I took off the fire one.. The electricity modifier ate through his shields then when he came back to me I was instantly healed. Not to mention he was dazing him too on these hits. Toughest boss battle for me so far.

I now currently use an exploding shotgun <3 Its 7x and awesome. I also use an exploding sniper which is equally as awesome. And then I use a Fire SMG.

I got a class modifier and it raises health regen in my group and gives me +1 to quick hands or whatever which I dont even have a point in :(

Grecco

TurtleSnatcher said:
So I hit lvl 20 .. I'm moving so slow.. I suck in FPS games.. but at the same time I'm digging through every crevice to grab anything. I just fought
Sledge
and man that was an insane fight.. I died the 1st attempt.. the 2nd one I had to use 2 second winds.. the second one barely got through. It was crazy..

The room was so small so it was hard to traverse.

By the way the weapon that dropped from him
Sledges Shotgun
Why does this thing suck so much? 2 rounds.. auto fire and they are so spread out with crappy accuracy. Then it takes like 5 seconds to reload. Its horrible.

Anyways.. What helped against him was my Hawk had the electricity element on him.. I took off the fire one.. The electricity modifier ate through his shields then when he came back to me I was instantly healed. Not to mention he was dazing him too on these hits. Toughest boss battle for me so far.

I now currently use an exploding shotgun <3 Its 7x and awesome. I also use an exploding sniper which is equally as awesome. And then I use a Fire SMG.

I got a class modifier and it raises health regen in my group and gives me +1 to quick hands or whatever which I dont even have a point in :(

Ive been using shotguns exclusively and
Sledges shot gun
is incredible. :lol

It helps tons that Brick is a melle guy. And that gun gives me melle damage bonus. Hell im lvl 22 and im still using it as my main weapon.

bjaelke

BobFromPikeCreek said:
Yes. I got the level 10 achievement 2 days before the level 5 :)

leng jai

Just dinged as a level 10 and I can't say I'm really feeling it. So far the environments have been bland and sorta soulless as has the gameplay.

Vehicle handling is probably the worst I've ever encountered as well. Will report back when I play some more.

grumble said:
I just beat the game too. The credits were skippable, at least on PS3. Just pressed circle and I'm back to the game.

How do you start New Game +?
I guess it was unskippable because I beat it with a few people? We were all just sitting there through the credits just talking (or trying to, at least - damn PS3 issues).

As for New Game+, when you load up your character from the main menu, there's an option to play in your first playthrough or second (NG+).

Pumpkins

Cant0na said:

I know you were being vague but can you please use spoiler tags next time? Some of us haven't completed the game yet.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
This game is great. It really does get better the more I play, at first I was unsure that I'd like it but I'm pretty much addicted now. Finding a badass new weapon is exciting and I just got a powerful sniper for my Hunter, it insta-gibs just about any lower level enemy.

Bout to hit 50 with a friend as a berserker. Should have a good while after we hit 50 before the second play through is done. Hopefully plenty of time for some sweet level 50 lewt :D

My copy still hasn't arrived.

Play decided that even though there was a massive postal strike they should still dispatch it with the intentions of arriving on Friday on LATE THURSDAY NIGHT

:(

Also, Are the reviews justified. I dont give a shit about Edge.. but is this a 8/9 game in everyones eyes?

Subliminal42 said:
Also, Are the reviews justified. I dont give a shit about Edge.. but is this a 8/9 game in everyones eyes?

I dont see how edge gave this game a 6, I havnt been this addicted to a game in a long long time. Just got done with a 6 hour co-op session. Id play more but im way to damn tired lol.

Firestorm

Outtrigger888 said:
I dont see how edge gave this game a 6, I havnt been this addicted to a game in a long long time. Just got done with a 6 hour co-op session. Id play more but im way to damn tired lol.
That's probably why they gave it an above average score.

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
Having a great time with this game but right now it's kicking my arse :/. I'm playing solo, went too Sledge's save house to get the key, got slaughtered by a group of fire skags, alpha skags and bad-ass skags. Tried to do some side missions instead, getting my ass handed in some cave with spiders or something. I'm level 12 right now, but none of the weapons I have seem to do really much to the stronger enemies. Something I'm missing, or should I grind? :)

TheFallen

At level 37 and at the beginning of my second playthrough I've got 2 yellow items, 1 orange. (Orange seems to be Artifact weapons I assume, yellow seems to be Legendary), and 2 alien weapons. Most of the alien weapons are obnoxious, their point seems to only be that they have unlimited ammo (but with a recharge rate) and high damage. No elemental effects or items affect them so far. I've got the one that has binary code on it and another that says "PEW PEW PEW".

Looking forward to seeing the better weapons as I get higher. Can't imagine what the lvl 45+ legendary/artifact weapons are like.

Revolutionary said:
I guess it was unskippable because I beat it with a few people? We were all just sitting there through the credits just talking (or trying to, at least - damn PS3 issues).
Nah, it's definitely skippable. I think I hit start and then B and our co-op group did the same to skip it.

Ok so after spending most of yesterday playing co-op I played some solo today. No where near as good on your own to the point I would say it isn't really a single player game. Just lacks that fun and he challenge of the game throwing insane odds at you and working together to scrape through.

hitoshi

The co-op mode is definitely buggy: my major concern is the cloning of the active missions. My friend and I played tonight, i was level 22 and he was 18, he hadn't even reached the wasteland up until that point, yet he had my missions outside the first area, even after quitting and continuing his game in SP.

Minor spoiler: the mission "what about T.K." was active for me - when we reached his tent, he was sitting in his chair as usual, but the door was open (because I took the mission before), and
He was inside, dead

An other glitch: when you kill Sledge and you get your first artifact, my friend got the achievement but not the artifact.

But the biggest grip is the level-up system, the same situation as before, yet the enemies were so easy that I've got only 1 or 2 XP per kill. Why? There wasn't a big gap between the levels, most of the bad guys were lvl17, yet they only took 2 shots or so.

And the achievements are glitchy as hell too.

After yesterday's experience I would say that co-op is for the second walkthrough only or for an other, separate character.

Cagen

Played local co op for 8 hours straight last night, incredibly addicting game but not without its (many) faults.

The main for me being when I play borderlands PSN disconnects. During single player it is at random intervals but when I try to play online I get disconnected while it is searching for updates. I have managed to get past that screen twice in about 60 tries and had my PS3 crash 5 times during it. On the two occasions I got past it, the so called friends list fix apparently doesn't apply to me as it only shows 3 friends in my list, all of which were offline and none of which have the game and then promptly disconnected me from PSN again.

I bought this game for co op and the one thing I can't do is play co op, infuriating.

Spike6663

Has anyone had problems with the Soldiers rockets on the turret? I've got the skill up to 45 now and have not once seen it visually fire a rocket. I've scanned the Gearbox forum for this issue but came back empty handed.

Zertez

Another night with little sleep. It is tough to remember a game that has made me lose sleep like this one :lol I found the challenges earlier and started to knock a few of them out. Question for those who have beat new game+, After you finish the game for the second time, do bosses respawn? I have a bad feeling they dont. If you are unable to do boss runs for loot, doubt I will hang around long once I hit max level.

TheFallen

hitoshi said:
The co-op mode is definitely buggy: my major concern is the cloning of the active missions. My friend and I played tonight, i was level 22 and he was 18, he hadn't even reached the wasteland up until that point, yet he had my missions outside the first area, even after quitting and continuing his game in SP.

But the biggest grip is the level-up system, the same situation as before, yet the enemies were so easy that I've got only 1 or 2 XP per kill. Why? There wasn't a big gap between the levels, most of the bad guys were lvl17, yet they only took 2 shots or so.

After yesterday's experience I would say that co-op is for the second walkthrough only or for an other, separate character.
You realize these are design decisions of MMOs, right?

He kept the missions because those missions are not from the plot, they're always saved side-missions. Even if you were level 1 and your co-op team completed a lvl 30 side mission, you'd get that saved.

After a few levels enemies become worthless for xp, this is so you learn to keep moving in the game and stop grinding on old ones. You're level 22, you shouldn't be killing lvl 17s.

If I sell some stuff to a store, will it permanently be in buy-back? I'm only level 11 and I picked up some awesome stuff that I can't use until ~level 25. It's taking up space in my pack and I won't be able to use it for a while =/

Rogosh

Rei_Toei said:
Having a great time with this game but right now it's kicking my arse :/. I'm playing solo, went too Sledge's save house to get the key, got slaughtered by a group of fire skags, alpha skags and bad-ass skags. Tried to do some side missions instead, getting my ass handed in some cave with spiders or something. I'm level 12 right now, but none of the weapons I have seem to do really much to the stronger enemies. Something I'm missing, or should I grind? :)

Keep an eye on quest difficulty. Although I remember it being slightly wonky at 1 or 2 parts in the very beginning, they are very good about giving you more quests than you could ever need to level up. I still have quests to complete that are a few levels under me and I'm level ~29. If you find you have quests that are all above your level, take a look around. I imagine there are more quests available that you haven't completed yet.

Random comment: Having 3 levels of rarity for legendary items is awesome (yellow->yellow-orange->orange).

TheFallen

Neverender said:
If I sell some stuff to a store, will it permanently be in buy-back? I'm only level 11 and I picked up some awesome stuff that I can't use until ~level 25. It's taking up space in my pack and I won't be able to use it for a while =/
Buyback items reset during zone changes. Keep it in your backpack, you'll get more inventory slots as you go (40+) or just sell them, you're bound to get better quickly. There's always vendors around, so even if you do keep them, you can constantly keep space available.

vhfive

Neverender said:
nope
its only in buy back for that trip to the store. next time you go to the store it will be gone.

Victrix

*beard*
bengraven said:
Thanks for this, by the way. I found the site incredibly addicting and have been watching you guys play for the last three nights in a row. Very cool and I'm dying for this game.

Is that you commenting, btw?

No problem, and yes, it's me commenting. You can find all the footage in the archives, though the quality gets sort of assy there. If you make clips from the archives, the quality is higher.

I can actually download .flvs of clips, so if you make a clip of something you want to see, I can download it and host it somewhere else. It's a pretty cool site.

Shoogoo

Anyone else is constantly comparing this game to a MMO? I'm afraid of what will happen when we hit lvl50

I don't want the game to stop, dammit!

FinKL

Rogosh said:
Random comment: Having 3 levels of rarity for legendary items is awesome (yellow->yellow-orange->orange).
Haven't played the game yet, but wouldn't that be hard to decipher since the colors are so similar?

Amir0x

Banned
This game has a weird addictive quality to it, even though I feel like I should be bored of its gamey parts. It's not actually that fun to play, but it's...addicting.

I don't know why!

Victrix

*beard*
Amir0x said:
This game has a weird addictive quality to it, even though I feel like I should be bored of its gamey parts. It's not actually that fun to play, but it's...addicting.

I don't know why!

You sound like a scientist trying to dissect fun

Easy_D

never left the stone age
:D my order from Zavvi.com shipped today :D. Can't wait to get my dirty hands on it and crush enemies with my berseker rage :lol

Ordered today... Damn you GAF, it's all because of my inner loot whore...

How's co-op splitscreen ? Do I have to play with my buddy all the time so we can level up together or can he just grab the pad and take the place of a already stuffed AI ?

Amir0x

Banned
Victrix said:
You sound like a scientist trying to dissect fun

It's just that everything in here is pretty lame. Mission design is lame. Gunplay is inferior to real FPS. The RPG-elements don't go far enough.

But somehow taken together, I'm finding myself addicting to it.

Top Bottom