• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Borderlands |OT| More guns than the population of the Netherlands

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
d0c_zaius said:
Probably the most annoying thing is the difficulty with MP. Im either way too high level for the people around me, and therefore 1 shot everything for 1 exp. Or Im 1/2 levels below and get my shield and health dropped to nothing in one shot. Either way, someone has to die repeatedly for hours while the other person does all the work, until either of us gets to the point where we actually see damage higher than 1.

This is one of my problems with the game, besides the characters and boring combat. You can join games but they're WAY ahead of you (probably because someone helped jump them to there, when they were behind said other player...) and so have enemies 2-3 levels above you kicking your ass. Or you're too far ahead of other players.

Or players never join your server because you're not
killing sledge
. :/

What is that one secret achievement above
Wanted: Sledge
anyway? I'm thinking it's story related but because of how far ahead in the game I am I never got it. :/

You can get corrosive kills by shooting green barrels near enemies. That's how I got 12 Days of Pandora before getting a corrosive weapon. I got at least 1 shock weapon from a quest boss.

Which boss?
Sledge
had some on the way to them, but stupid public people grabbed them before I had a chance to "suck" them into my inventory. FFFFFFFFFF.

And enemies are never near those barrels for me to use them. So annoying. :/

eXistor

d0c_zaius said:
got up to 27 on my hunter. the game is good but seems to be lacking a certain compelling element to keep me going. I feel like im playing WoW, doing all the crappy quests to get to a new area thats pretty much the same thing. I kinda expect the story to be crap as its a MP focused game although im surprised at how bad the AI is sometimes given the type of game it is.

Ill keep at it for one playthrough to see how it continues with the weapon progression, but I guess Im not feeling it like a ton of others are.
In a way i agree. The game doesn't really feel complete, like a certain layer is missing. Also, everything in the game works fine, but everything has been done before and better by other games. But taken as a whole, the game still manages to keep me hooked and overall I really, really enjoy the game. I do miss little graphical touches like dust blowing or water reacting to your movement, those would make the game feel much more alive.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
TheSeks said:
You're doing it wrong.

Get an elemental SMG. Spam SMG while raising your skills to daze per bullet hit.

??????

PROFIT!

Also I still HAVE YET TO GET A SHOCK/COROSIVE WEAPON *sigh*. Despite the fact that story-wise I'm "leaving Fyerstone." So annoying as these last two "elements" are the last kills I need for "12 Days of Pandora" and their respective achievements.

Corrosive weapons start dropping in the next area, you get plenty of shock stuff too, so I wouldn't worry. I'm a level 32 Siren now, I get ridiculous amounts of element kills just from the phasewalk now. :lol

For the achievement question, you still have a ways to go to get the next one, but you can't miss it.

Ordered today... Damn you GAF, it's all because of my inner loot whore...

How's co-op splitscreen ? Do I have to play with my buddy all the time so we can level up together or can he just grab the pad and take the place of a already stuffed AI ?

TheFallen

TheSeks said:
Which boss?
Sledge
had some on the way to them, but stupid public people grabbed them before I had a chance to "suck" them into my inventory. FFFFFFFFFF.

The problem with this game is that the experience isn't for everyone. If you've played a MMO, you know early on what to expect at low levels, console gamers don't realize it or care for it. You'll have a billion corrosive weapons in no time. Sledge is still very early on. Soon you will trash blues and epics later, and then eventually vendor epics and legendary weapons beginning your second playthrough.

Shoogoo

Insaniac said:
has anybody tried to figure out what the various corporations do to the weapons?

I know that Torgue gives the weapon a higher Fire rate and that Tediore gives them a faster reload speed

other than that though I have found any similarities between corporations

okay I I think Jakobs increases damage, SnS munitions has increased mag size, and Vladof also has increased rate of fire

Yup all of that is right. + Maliwan has only elemental damage, and Jakobs always has wood on their guns.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Grecco said:
Ive found you can somehow turn in quests two times. Its kind of strange.
Do tell.

*Also when do chests/bosses respawn? (If you quit game and start again are they back?)
**Also someone in a chat mentioned "seeds" for games, basically where loot is mostly focused around 1 item for quite a while or until you reset.
e.g. Sniper Rifles, shields, etc.

It seemed kind of valid when I watched 9 chests get opened and 8/9 had Sniper Rifles.

Papercuts

TheFallen said:
The problem with this game is that the experience isn't for everyone. If you've played a MMO, you know early on what to expect at low levels, console gamers don't realize it or care for it. You'll have a billion corrosive weapons in no time. Sledge is still very early on. Soon you will trash blues and epics later, and then eventually vendor epics and legendary weapons beginning your second playthrough.

Yeah, the progression happens pretty quickly. My inventory is loaded with purple and blue, I sell most of the green and white now. In doing so I get a ton of money but I don't really see that much to buy anymore.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
UnluckyKate said:
How's co-op splitscreen ? Do I have to play with my buddy all the time so we can level up together or can he just grab the pad and take the place of a already stuffed AI ?

It's cramped. It's two players only, and frankly... I prefer having the whole screen. Pulling up the menu/GUI cuts the menu in half to where you have to scroll with the right-thumbstick to see stuff.

It's passable, but I wouldn't recommend if you both have online consoles and two copies of the game.

Corrosive weapons start dropping in the next area, you get plenty of shock stuff too, so I wouldn't worry. I'm a level 32 Siren now, I get ridiculous amounts of element kills just from the phasewalk now.

You mean the second town? I'm trying to finish up the quests in Fyrestone before heading that way.

Have two
of the ten
Claptraps saved, I'm not sure if there is more in that area since AFAIK there isn't if the wiki is right.

TheFallen said:
If you've played a MMO, you know early on what to expect at low levels, console gamers don't realize it or care for it.

Thank you for your PC elitism, it's not helpful in the slightest.

I have played Diablo/et. al. and the problem with those is still prevalent here. The weapons/stuff I need is generally grabbed by Joe Q. Public in games quickly before I have a chance to see if I want to pick it up or not. It's so stupid.

TheSeks said:
This is one of my problems with the game, besides the characters and boring combat. You can join games but they're WAY ahead of you (probably because someone helped jump them to there, when they were behind said other player...) and so have enemies 2-3 levels above you kicking your ass. Or you're too far ahead of other players.
Or players never join your server because you're not
killing sledge
. :/

What is that one secret achievement above
Wanted: Sledge
anyway? I'm thinking it's story related but because of how far ahead in the game I am I never got it. :/

Which boss?
Sledge

That will all be a moot point once everyone has Level 50 character and are out just whoring loot.

Insaniac

Hazaro said:
Do tell.

*Also when do chests/bosses respawn? (If you quit game and start again are they back?)
**Also someone in a chat mentioned "seeds" for games, basically where loot is mostly focused around 1 item for quite a while or until you reset.

It seemed kind of valid when I watched 9 chests get opened and 8/9 had Sniper Rifles.

Not sure if major quest bosses respawn but I've been fighting Skagzilla again and again to boost my weapon proficiency.

Burger

Hazaro said:
Do tell.

Yeah I've noticed weird chest behavior. I'm a soldier, and for some reason hardly ever get Assault Rifles dropped, and if I do find them, they are usually shit (eg Lvl 15 req, I'm 25).

I'll stick with my Crimson Cobra for the mean time.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Insaniac said:
Not sure if major quest bosses respawn but I've been fighting Skagzilla again and again to boost my weapon proficiency.
So you just go there again and they have respawned? Sounds good.

TheFallen

Papercuts said:
Yeah, the progression happens pretty quickly. My inventory is loaded with purple and blue, I sell most of the green and white now. In doing so I get a ton of money but I don't really see that much to buy anymore.
Oh you will, vendors will have the occasional legendary items and almost always epics at the end of the first playthrough and all throughout the second playthrough - all very pricey. I sell epics and legendary weapons constantly at 42. For 1 hour worth, probably end up with 10-40 of them, which isn't an issue with the max backpack.

Not to mention deaths are expensive when you have a ton of money - i'm paying $200,000 each.

TheSeks said:
Thank you for your PC elitism, it's not helpful in the slightest.

I have played Diablo/et. al. and the problem with those is still prevalent here. The weapons/stuff I need is generally grabbed by Joe Q. Public in games quickly before I have a chance to see if I want to pick it up or not. It's so stupid.
You're on a forum that has an entire list of players willing to play and not be dicks.

I'd like to thank the guys who where dropping stuff off for me such as the acid shotty that I just leveled up enough to use, I plan on paying it forward to night to some lucky level tenners

ghostmind

2K seriously screwed up the distribution on this one. It is completely sold out citywide, and has been since Tuesday. I've been hearing about tons of customers looking for the game, only to be told that it is sold out and they don't know when they will have a copy. People are getting frustrated and saying "fuck it".

Shame for Gearbox - i'm sure this is going to cost them more than a few sales.

Papercuts

TheSeks said:
You mean the second town? I'm trying to finish up the quests in Fyrestone before heading that way.

Have two
of the ten
Claptraps saved, I'm not sure if there is more in that area since AFAIK there isn't if the wiki is right.

Yeah, pretty much whenever you leave fyrestown and get to the next big town area onward you'll start seeing them. They're not a drop I see often, but I've been using a basic corrosive shotgun for about half of the game and it's still a great go-to gun for me. Static weapons are really common for me to see now.

There's only two claptraps in the first part, yeah.

ghostmind said:
2K seriously screwed up the distribution on this one. It is completely sold out citywide, and has been since Tuesday. I've been hearing about tons of customers looking for the game, only to be told that it is sold out and they don't know when they will have a copy. People are getting frustrated and saying "fuck it".

gamestop guy was saying that they ordered so little because they based preorders so if 6 people preorder they have 3 on the shelf and he also said something about mw2 having to do with the game not being around which i think was bogus.

ghostmind said:

I don't know where you live, but in a Best Buy in Orlando I saw at least 15 PS3 copies and 7-8 Xbox copies. After all the complaints about not being able to find this game, I chuckled a little.

Dipper145

I'm having no problems with multiplayer. Unless you are invited to games where people are higher/lower it should set you up in a game that has people who have the quests that you have.

It still does make the game a lot harder, I get so little spawns in single player compared to multi that it is kind of underwhelming when I play solo.

Space Cadet said:
I don't know where you live, but in a Best Buy in Orlando I saw at least 15 PS3 copies and 7-8 Xbox copies. After all the complaints about not being able to find this game, I chuckled a little.

Sold out at both Gamestops close to my house.

This is the only game I'm glad I preordered.

Insaniac

I didn't pre-order but I walked into gamestop and got the last non-reserved copy on release day

still looking for a teammate, level 11 hunter :)

Grecco

Hazaro said:
Do tell.

I forgot the name mel i think the guy in the truck? I was in that part of the quest line but i joined a friend. he had to kill the 8 raiders first. We did that, and the mel part and went and delivered it to New Haven. Got the EXP. Friend leaves and it kicks me back to single player where i hadnt turned it in yet, but i had killed Mel so i was able to turn in that quest twice. Got the exp bonus twice.

I think it happned again by mistake with the kill 50 slithids. I turned it in and my power went out. I freaked out a little bit thinking my Xbox could get damaged and the stuff i had done not saved so when my power came back i loaded it and again i turned in the slithid quest again.

Pretty sure the bosses respawn. Skagzilla certainly did, Bonesaw as well.

Space Cadet said:
I am waiting for the price drop. And yes, I realize that I am what is wrong with the industry.

I have a feeling that you'll be waiting for a while.

Games that have a pretty damn good multiplayer feature, dev support, DLC, and replay value usually don't drop in price for a long time.

Shoogoo

Grecco said:
I forgot the name mel i think the guy in the truck?

yup, Mad Mel.

Probably a ref. to Mad Max & Mel Gibson. And you're fighting him in a dome too. I looked around but couldnt find Tina fucking Turner.

Also, Mothrakk was a good laugh :) and Skagzilla aswel. They're a lot of.. ehm how do you call that, eastereggs?

Grecco

Shoogoo said:
yup, Mad Mel.

Probably a ref. to Mad Max & Mel Gibson. And you're fighting him in a dome too. I looked around but couldnt find Tina fucking Turner.

Also, Mothrakk was a good laugh :) and Skagzilla aswel. They're a lot of.. ehm how do you call that, eastereggs?

:lol I didnt notice that one I did dnotice Bruce McLane though.

vumpler

If You Can't Beat 'Em, Talk Shit About 'Em
Insaniac said:
:lol me too. That's awesome.

Hazaro said:
So you just go there again and they have respawned? Sounds good.

Indeed it does. This is game has hints of the diablo style dungeon crawling game. In diablo you can reenter the levels as many times as you want, and every time the mobs respawn and the bosses. So you can farm bosses.

This isn't Call of Dudy, this is borderlands mother$%#@#$. :D

grumble

SundaySounds said:
About what lvl are you guys when you beat it the first time?

usually people beat it between level 33-36.

I was level 36, but I did almost every single quest. I think I missed four?

I'm on the second playthrough now, was expecting a big jump in difficulty D2 style but it hasn't really happened. I'm hoping that there will be more badass enemies, there have been but could be more.

One issue I have with this game is that I only used four guns throughout the whole first play through. I played as a soldier specced for combat rifles and got a really accurate 12-round scoped one right off the bat. Used that until I found a 67 damage one, then a 115 damage one, then a 180 damage one near the end of the game. If they made the loot a little more gradual or somehow made certain enemies not susceptible to all damage (ex: can only be hurt by elemental damage, can only be killed with explosives, etc) instead of my being able to three burst shot headshots endlessly then I would have had more fun. This way the loot system ends up being underused.

The bosses also always drop shitty loot. they're bosses, make the loot better and them harder!

I hope that the next game in this series has a few more RPG elements. If they add in more elemental resistances or physical immunities, more item slots to fill (instead of just weapons and a little shield / mod stuff) and maybe a quest pattern with changing objectives that would be better.

Finally got two oranges. The first was a really shitty revolver that I bought just because it was orange, the other is a really shitty shotgun I found in a chest. The shotgun regens shotgun rounds so I may hold on to it.

TheFallen

grumble said:
One issue I have with this game is that I only used four guns throughout the whole first play through. I played as a soldier specced for combat rifles and got a really accurate 12-round scoped one right off the bat. Used that until I found a 67 damage one, then a 115 damage one, then a 180 damage one near the end of the game. If they made the loot a little more gradual or somehow made certain enemies not susceptible to all damage (ex: can only be hurt by elemental damage, can only be killed with explosives, etc) instead of my being able to three burst shot headshots endlessly then I would have had more fun. This way the loot system ends up being underused.
Well the enemies have weaknesses and resistances, but nothing harsh to where you can't damage them - that wouldn't make sense with the design they've gone with in the game. Whether or not you want to be more effective is up to you. There's even locations on their bodies to hit for guaranteed criticals. It's hard to remember all of them, but here's a couple:

Shock weapons are incredibly effective on Guardians. (shock bloodwing will one-shot them)
Shock can quickly take out shields.
Fire and explosive weapons are effective on Humans without shields.
Skags seem to take more damage from explosive/fire/corrosive.
Spiderants don't take much damage from corrosive.

Criticals:
Spiderants - on their rear.
Bandits - their head.
Skags - their mouth when it opens.

K' Dash

<- ->
EITHER OR

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Someone is about to kick my ass >_<

Edit: Indeed, got my ass kicked, won that of pure luck :/

hampig

So I beat the game last night. What a lame-ass ending. I loved the entire game, then made it to that damn final boss. Also, I was wondering, did anyone else cut out halfway through the credits and find themselves still at the final area able to walk around?
I played the game through in one sitting with 3 friends through system link, and one of my friends lost all of his guns and items when we beat the game. Anyone have a possible explanation for that?

hampig said:
I played the game through in one sitting with 3 friends through system link, and one of my friends lost all of his guns and items when we beat the game. Anyone have a possible explanation for that?

Wait, how long was this one sitting?

Blizzard

Banned
hampig said:
So I beat the game last night. What a lame-ass ending. I loved the entire game, then made it to that damn final boss. Also, I was wondering, did anyone else cut out halfway through the credits and find themselves still at the final area able to walk around?
No, but you should probably report it to Gearbox if you can, with any details, so they can keep their list updated.

I REALLY hope this sort of stuff doesn't happen on a PC. Loot game without a large storage cache, well, ok, I can deal with that. Loot game where there's a chance of you losing everything you've played so long to collect? Not cool. :/

grumble

TheFallen said:
Well the enemies have weaknesses and resistances, but nothing harsh to where you can't damage them - that wouldn't make sense with the design they've gone with in the game. Whether or not you want to be more effective is up to you. There's even locations on their bodies to hit for guaranteed criticals. It's hard to remember all of them, but here's a couple:

Shock weapons are incredibly effective on Guardians. (shock bloodwing will one-shot them)
Shock can quickly take out shields.
Fire and explosive weapons are effective on Humans without shields.
Skags seem to take more damage from explosive/fire/corrosive.
Spiderants don't take much damage from corrosive.

Criticals:
Spiderants - on their rear.
Bandits - their head.
Skags - their mouth when it opens.

I agree with you that there are some differences, though I don't think that they're extreme enough.

I was just tired of using the same gun throughout the whole game. As it was far more effective than anything else, I stuck with it. A powerful, accurate scoped combat rifle is like a rapid fire sniper rifle, and no slight elemental changes really did much to change that equation.

I just think that more extreme immunities and resistances would have made the game more varied. I'd deliberately use worse weapons sometimes (elemental SMGs, rocket launchers, sniper rifles) for variety, but it felt forced.

Don't get me wrong, I loved the game and am playing it today, but it could have been a little better in some ways and I think they should look into these things for the sequel.

practice02 said:
gamestop guy was saying that they ordered so little because they based preorders so if 6 people preorder they have 3 on the shelf and he also said something about mw2 having to do with the game not being around which i think was bogus.
lol GameStop store associates are idiots.. why even listen to them.

So played a bit more.. got to Dahl Highlands finally. Beat every quest in FyreStone

1) Longbow Gernades are the SHIT
2) I got a nice corrosive revolver.. gonna stick with it.. May not be better then my burning SMG but i wanna melt faces
3) The missle shotgun sucked.. so Im sticking with my explosive shotgun
4) My explosive hawk is the SHIT
5)
Skagzilla
was freakishly hard.. Not hard as in can kill ya easily .. but hard to kill.. I know his weakness is
to shoot his mouth but he doesnt open it much
:(

Grecco

Some of the grenade mods are weird

I bought a Purple mod called Shock Rain and its pretty lousy even though it sounded awesome.

grumble

TurtleSnatcher said:
lol GameStop store associates are idiots.. why even listen to them.

So played a bit more.. got to Dahl Highlands finally. Beat every quest in FyreStone

1) Longbow Gernades are the SHIT
2) I got a nice corrosive revolver.. gonna stick with it.. May not be better then my burning SMG but i wanna melt faces
3) The missle shotgun sucked.. so Im sticking with my explosive shotgun
4) My explosive hawk is the SHIT
5)
Skagzilla
was freakishly hard.. Not hard as in can kill ya easily .. but hard to kill.. I know his weakness is
to shoot his mouth but he doesnt open it much
:(

when he opens his mouth to do the laser beam thing where he sweeps it in a 90 degree arc, stand to the side of it and unload clips into his face. You'll critical an insane amount.

Top Bottom