• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Borderlands |OT| More guns than the population of the Netherlands

bdouble

Akim said:
Has anyone tried a bloodwing based mordecai build yet? Impressions?
This is what I'm doing. I'm thinking It might not be worth it until I can get him to attack multiple enemies and get the cooldown reduced a bit. Think I'm going to respec when I sign on tonight and go gunslinger with extra pistol shots because I have recently fallen in love with the revolvers. Only level 15 right now.

Ichigo

Akim said:
Has anyone tried a bloodwing based mordecai build yet? Impressions?
I'm lvl 21 currently with this build in mind and i'm enjoying it pretty good. The bird can one shot a lot of things, and do some great fire dmg to others. I really like the melee dmg boost too. I might respec a couple times to try different things out.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Well, I'm up to "Hair of the Dog" level 23, and most enemies are kicking my ass now. :lol

Probably because I played with this one overleveled group that was completing some of the story. So I have some "impossible" quests done.

Still can't beat the Super Skagg or the Super Flying thing that's level 25 and will blow the crap out of your car yet. :(

Edit: Oh, and got "12 Days of Pandora" FINALLY after shooting for it all day. :(

kylej

Banned
nice source of inspiration

machine2.jpg

Zzoram

What's the best way to hit air bosses like Mothrack? I'm having a ton of trouble with them. I'm a level 24 Brick emphasizing his melee skills, using mainly combat rifle and sniper.

kylej

Banned
yeah so when you kill Baron Flynt is the box at the
top of his little area near his seat supposed to be empty? I know there's all that betrayal nonsense going on as soon as you open it. I want my fat loot :/

chixdiggit

I have a level 18 Soldier and just started a level 9 Bezerker. The Bezerker seems so overpowered in comparison. Does this change in later levels?

Zzoram

chixdiggit said:
I have a level 18 Soldier and just started a level 9 Bezerker. The Bezerker seems so overpowered in comparison. Does this change in later levels?

I find it pretty hard later because he has no skills to boost guns except rocket launchers but those suck.

jabipun

So, got this game at launch. I still haven't finished it - I got my Hunter to level 25, then started a solider, got him to 26, then started a Brick - got him to level 9, then started a Siren, got her to level 16.

Does anyone else do this? You see a friend start out the game, figure it'd be a good opportunity to start a new character and help him out a bit - then, you say "hey this new character is pretty cool" and you keep playing (and the cycle continues).

Definity

Ran into a game breaking bug tonight. I joined a friends game with a level 24 hunter and when I left his game to host another game I lost all of my skill points. I tried everyting to get them back, gain another level, respec at a station, fast travel, etc. nadda, nothing. Looks like I'm not the only one with the problem according to the gear box forums. I'm tempted to throw the game in the trash.

Back your save to a memory card now folks.

Zzoram

Definity said:
Ran into a game breaking bug tonight. I joined a friends game with a level 24 hunter and when I left his game to host another game I lost all of my skill points. I tried everyting to get them back, gain another level, respec at a station, fast travel, etc. nadda, nothing. Looks like I'm not the only one with the problem according to the gear box forums. I'm tempted to throw the game in the trash.

You're going to have to be more specific than that if you want them to fix this bug. You need to describe as much of the exact condition leading up to the bug.

Definity

Zzoram said:
You're going to have to be more specific than that if you want them to fix this bug. You need to describe as much of the exact condition leading up to the bug.
Not sure how much more specific I can be. I joined a friends game and left the game using the exit option in the menu, game saved, I hosted a new game and have no skill points. There isn't anything I can add to that I'm afraid.

Zzoram

Definity said:
Not sure how much more specific I can be. I joined a friends game and left the game using the exit option in the menu, game saved, I hosted a new game and have no skill points. There isn't anything I can add to that I'm afraid.

Maybe the specific quest? How many people were in the game? Did you do a quest you've already done, one you had active but hadn't done, or one that you didn't have at all before joining? Did you turn in the quest before leaving?

Blizzard

Banned
Definity said:
PS3 or 360?

I hope they patch the PC version within a week or two if it has these issues. :( Apparently some people lose some items and weapons (which is a VERY BAD THING considering how rare some of them are), and some lose all their skill points and can't get them back (which is a VERY BAD THING considering it can take you a long time to earn them all)? Looks like that sort of issue is still listed as very low frequency on the forum issue list, so who knows.

Red

Definity said:
Sounds like one of the myriad Castle Crashers stat erasing bugs, sucks that something like that is in a game this high-profile.

jabipun

So, game has soaked in a bit. It seems gearbox delivered for the most part. Has the GAF hate parade rolled in yet? Or is this thread mostly full of love?

I'm hoping this game isn't abandoned when Modern Warefare 2 comes out, I hear people say the new game + with 4 player co-op is the shit. Making the first time play-through look like mere training wheels.

AeroGod

Bumblebeetuna said:
I have a level 30 Hunter.. game has been a complete cakewalk since very early in the game. Is anyone else experiencing this weak difficulty progression? I have a rifle that just annihilates everything the game throws at me and anytime I need health I just throw my bird out there and he gives me hundreds of HP.

Do any of the other characters have a tougher time?

Its fairly easy for any character depending on your build and if you get a killer weapon or have a healing ability, otherwise it can be tough. I played a Sniper build Hunter to mid 20s and i had no way of healing myself and died many many times especially to enemies resistant to bullets because i was stupid and got stuck too many times without elemental weapons. Getting mobed by Badass Alpha Skags with nothing but a physical revolver and sniper sucks big time.

When you play with 4 people online it can get hectic and quite hard, but either way IMO the generous respawning system makes it all irrelevant.

Definity

Zzoram said:
Maybe the specific quest? How many people were in the game? Did you do a quest you've already done, one you had active but hadn't done, or one that you didn't have at all before joining? Did you turn in the quest before leaving?

Let's see here...the mission that was active was "find tannis" (I think). We were all in New Haven standing at the entrance. I had already completed that quest that was active. 3 other people in the game all around the same level. IIRC the other folks in the game were looting a couple weapon boxes in town. I left to host a new game and when I loaded back up I noticed that I no longer could use the bloodwing. That's when I went into the menu options and noticed I no longer had any skill points.

I did feel there may have been some lag in the game I left. The jump button or zoom buttons were not as responsive as I would've liked (most casual players would have never noticed) but I've played enough games online to feel the difference. So maybe latency had something to do with it, but I find it odd that it didn't corrupt my entire save file since I only lost skill points.

BTW - 360 version

Just rocked Old Haven. Even with 4 slightly over-leveled people the Crimson Lance are crazy tough. It's a shame there are only two quests related to that area, because it was awesome.

Blizzard

Banned
Definity, that's a good thing to post in the Gearbox forums, I guess, or maybe PM a mod...I don't know the appropriate way to report bugs. :/ Thanks for the input...

Definity

Blizzard said:
Definity, that's a good thing to post in the Gearbox forums, I guess, or maybe PM a mod...I don't know the appropriate way to report bugs. :/ Thanks for the input...

I just posted the information on the gearbox forums. Like I said earlier the only thing that I can think of that was out of place was latency but I have no idea if that played a part in it.

Definity, I read somewhere that if you level up, use your new skill point, and then respec, all your old skill points will come back. It has worked for most people who got hit with that bug.

Definity

BobFromPikeCreek said:
Definity, I read somewhere that if you level up, use your new skill point, and then respec, all your old skill points will come back. It has worked for most people who got hit with that bug.
Thanks, will try that here in a bit.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
So trying to find that revolver barrel was a bitch. I looked around, gave up, and searched this thread for the answer.

When I had left to check this thread, I was literally up on top of the broken vehicle. :lol

Zzoram

ZealousD said:
So trying to find that revolver barrel was a bitch. I looked around, gave up, and searched this thread for the answer.

When I had left to check this thread, I was literally up on top of the broken vehicle. :lol

Ya that thing drove me nuts. They have some mighty fine hiding places for us to have so much trouble even though all the parts are so close together.

Dipper145

If anyone is having trouble finding good multiplayer games, use custom game instead of quick match, and then select the one you like with similar leveled guys and same quest.

Xevren

Yeah, everyone gets ported around together. You don't have to be with one another in the same zone though, and no matter where you are you will get xp from quests/kills etc.

hitoshi

grumble said:
usually people beat it between level 33-36.

I was level 36, but I did almost every single quest. I think I missed four?

I'm on the second playthrough now, was expecting a big jump in difficulty D2 style but it hasn't really happened. I'm hoping that there will be more badass enemies, there have been but could be more.

One issue I have with this game is that I only used four guns throughout the whole first play through. I played as a soldier specced for combat rifles and got a really accurate 12-round scoped one right off the bat. Used that until I found a 67 damage one, then a 115 damage one, then a 180 damage one near the end of the game. If they made the loot a little more gradual or somehow made certain enemies not susceptible to all damage (ex: can only be hurt by elemental damage, can only be killed with explosives, etc) instead of my being able to three burst shot headshots endlessly then I would have had more fun. This way the loot system ends up being underused.

The bosses also always drop shitty loot. they're bosses, make the loot better and them harder!

I hope that the next game in this series has a few more RPG elements. If they add in more elemental resistances or physical immunities, more item slots to fill (instead of just weapons and a little shield / mod stuff) and maybe a quest pattern with changing objectives that would be better.

Word by word. I'm not the one who complains about difficulty but between lvl21 and 28 (about 10 hours of gameplay) I have died only TWICE, one was a mistake by driving onto a barrell. And I have not changed weapons since ages. I'm having a blast with the game, but by doing every mission available (a thing which I have not done since Oblivion and Mass Effect or Diablo 1-2) you get too experienced to have problem with the story related missions at all. Or with enemies, I can kill nearly everybody with 3 headshots.

I hope that they will make some huge changes to the way you get new weapons / harder enemies - but if they'll do, i fear it will be PC only. What we need is a huge DLC / expansion with a bunch of maps, enormous bosses, great loot and a very very hard difficulty, specialized towards teamplay. Wishful thinking I know, but it has enormous potential, which have not been realized yet with the first game. It feels like Diablo happening again: I loved the first one, it was a major milestone in my gaming life, but it took a sequel to really get everything out from it's system / ideas. Borderlands 2, please come.

Zzoram

I just realized that I'm having a hard time with animal enemies because they are probably resistant to physical damage, and I don't have elements on any of my current guns. I'm lvl24 so I've certainly seen elemental guns, I just sold them because they had lower damage in the comparison, but I'm going to try a fire or acid gun.

Zzoram

hitoshi said:
Word by word. I'm not the one who complains about difficulty but between lvl21 and 28 (about 10 hours of gameplay) I have died only TWICE, one was a mistake by driving onto a barrell. And I have not changed weapons since ages. I'm having a blast with the game, but by doing every mission available (a thing which I have not done since Oblivion and Mass Effect or Diablo 1-2) you get too experienced to have problem with the story related missions at all. Or with enemies, I can kill nearly everybody with 3 headshots.

I hope that they will make some huge changes to the way you get new weapons / harder enemies - but if they'll do, i fear it will be PC only. What we need is a huge DLC / expansion with a bunch of maps, enormous bosses, great loot and a very very hard difficulty, specialized towards teamplay. Wishful thinking I know, but it has enormous potential, which have not been realized yet with the first game.

I think Borderlands 2 will be a much better game when we get it in 2011 or 2012. I'm sold on it now, because I really like Borderlands even though there are a few things that need to be redesigned for the sequel.

vhfive

BobFromPikeCreek said:
Just rocked Old Haven. Even with 4 slightly over-leveled people the Crimson Lance are crazy tough. It's a shame there are only two quests related to that area, because it was awesome.
when i first entered old haven i was about 1 or 2 levels under and those dudes could kick my ass. very hard but lots of fun to fight.

Xevren

Been taking a break from my 38 Siren and started playing a gunslinger hunter, hit 20 pretty quickly and he's a damn beast. Revolvers are a lot of fun with that skill tree.

Zzoram

haldalish said:
are the graphics downgraded in splitscreen or am i just tripping? also, the betcode for this game is absolute shit

I think most games have at least a slight visual downgrade in splitscreen

Top Bottom