• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Borderlands |OT| More guns than the population of the Netherlands

RS4-

I thing I've noticed in NG+ is how aggressive the mobs are. Skags don't leave you alone, they'll follow you forever.

Raiders don't necessarily charge you from a farther distance, but they'll engage you a lot farther than they normally would. One of those axe throwing dudes was hitting me from what looked like a 100 yards away. Same with the grenades, they're more accurate.

I don't think I'll beat the game again, I just want to hit level 50. And yeah, I'm one of those that finished the game the first time around level 33.

Zzoram said:
I think most games have at least a slight visual downgrade in splitscreen
ok, cause i was playing on a bravia and than switched it over to my larger panny plasma to play spltscreen and it looked worse; it usually always looks better on my plasma

purg3

slept with Malkin
every time i enter new haven, the claptrap thing pops up and says something like "scooter may have a little somethin somethin, you should go ask him about it." who is this, and where can i find him?

xDangerboy said:
Hit 50 about an hour ago! This game is addicting as hell. Is it possible to do a third playthrough?
I heard some word about a third play through where every thing was level 50 but this is second hand info so who knows if its true. I hope so!

Xevren

xDangerboy said:
Hit 50 about an hour ago! This game is addicting as hell. Is it possible to do a third playthrough?

From what I have heard no.

purg3 said:
every time i enter new haven, the claptrap thing pops up and says something like "scooter may have a little somethin somethin, you should go ask him about it." who is this, and where can i find him?

Scooter is in New Haven. If you port there he's right in the immediate area where you can spawn a car. He's sitting in a chair behind a table.

Didn't see this posted in the thread anywhere.

If there's anyone still holding out, NewEgg is selling it this weekend for $53 w/ free shipping for both the PS3 and 360.

grumble

Xevren said:
From what I have heard no.

It'd be amazing if they did a content patch similar to that of Diablo 2, and added in a few more unique modifiers, a couple new features (like the obvious inclusion of a chance-based crafting system for us to spend all our hard-earned money on), the usual skill tweaks and a harder difficulty mode. That would really put them in the top tier of developers for what wouldn't be a crazy cost.

Enjoying Playthrough 2 now, generally not very hard but I'm finding that some enemies hit much harder while others don't really. Would have liked to see BadMutha/Badass enemies and bosses dropping better loot, D2-style.

I'm finding a lot of online bugs with this game. I have found a fairly reliable way to duplicate items for example, and sometimes i'll be able to cash in missions twice. Exploits like this kind of kill the fun a bit, though I'm still playing.

Also wondering if anyone has a list of the 'red' modifiers and what they do? I know some of them and what they do, but not all.

TheFallen

grumble said:
I'm finding a lot of online bugs with this game. I have found a fairly reliable way to duplicate items for example, and sometimes i'll be able to cash in missions twice. Exploits like this kind of kill the fun a bit, though I'm still playing.
Well the good thing is that this game doesn't really have an economy where this would be an issue. If you don't dupe items or missions yourself, I don't see how that affects your enjoyment.

Just had my first co-op game, and it was apparently with one of the developers - well he said he was, but he sounded a bit young, and cursed a lot. I got the "And They’ll Tell Two Friends" achievement after playing, so maybe it was really a dev (and not just the viral way of getting the achievement).

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Keyser Soze said:
Just had my first co-op game, and it was apparently with one of the developers - well he said he was, but he sounded a bit young, and cursed a lot. I got the "And They’ll Tell Two Friends" achievement after playing, so maybe it was really a dev (and not just the viral way of getting the achievement).

lol

That achievement is already pretty damn common. If you need proof, check Giant Bomb.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
4042158804_94d68b6c89_o.jpg

Stab me with a knife

Alex

Borderlands then one day later Torchlight; I will be looted out. I should carve through Borderlands quick though, already having played half of it before.

I just picked up the most awesome level 20 revolver. It regens ammo and has a really fast reload time. I may have to transfer it to my Hunter so it can get the love and attention it deserves.

I wish there was a game similar to Borderlands for handhelds, as that would be me done with buying any other game for life... my life would be in fact complete. I am sure Borderlands with a top-down, Killzone Liberation type view and control would be heaven.

Diablo does not count folks, really hate that setting in any game nowadays, and am even struggling to get hyped for Diablo 3 :(

just went in with 3 friends on the steam 4pack deal. Every game should cost $35! Also pre ordered Torchlight, so many sweet games so little time.

Keyser Soze said:
I wish there was a game similar to Borderlands for handhelds, as that would be me done with buying any other game for life... my life would be in fact complete. I am sure Borderlands with a top-down, Killzone Liberation type view and control would be heaven.

Diablo does not count folks, really hate that setting in any game nowadays, and am even struggling to get hyped for Diablo 3 :(

What an out of place rant. Are you high?

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Keyser Soze said:

Does not compute

DragonNC

There is whey to "hunt items "
in "New Haven".In "New haven" there is 4 hidden weapon crates on the roof of the buildings & have fairly high chance of dropping purple
& orange guns.Every time you exit & load your save weapon crates will be re spawned.
First & forth crate have better chance for purple & purple items .

- First one is on the building next to scooter spawn area.When you spawn turn to your left & you will see the building.
Go behind the building & you will see yellow barrel.Jump on the barrel & from there on the roof where you will find weapon case.

- Second crate is on the building in the middle of the town (between sheriffs office & weapon vending machine building) .
Climb on the stares & you will see washing machine. Jump from there on the roof .There is second weapon crate .

- Third crate is on north of the town.When you spawn in the town , look to your right site.You will see building with stares from where you can climb on the roof of the building .
Go upstairs & fallow till the end of the building.There you will see metal fens.Jump behind the fens & on your right you will see weapon crate near the end of the building.

- Forth crate is harder to reach & it is on the corner of the building where you looted third crate.
From third crate jump to post to the north & when you are there look on your right site.
You will see forth crate.Jump there from the post & loot it.

Damn I'm spending more time in lootwhoring then playing the game :lol

johnFkennedy said:
What an out of place rant. Are you high?

I am just saying I would like a mobile version of Borderlands somewhere down the like... I don't think that makes me high :/

Sorry if I offended you about Diablo, it is not my kinda thing. Borderlands is however just want I want in a game.

Aptos

kylej said:
yeah so when you kill Baron Flynt is the box at the
top of his little area near his seat supposed to be empty? I know there's all that betrayal nonsense going on as soon as you open it. I want my fat loot :/

There's another chest(s) near him. Just
go down the other side of the crane, out near the counter-weight.

Fxp

So, if my copy of Borderlands (Steam) was bought in US and sent to me as a gift and I'm in Europe, it will unlock on 30.10, right? :(

CoilShot

I've already preorder borderalands on steam but I think I'm going to double dip on a console version so I will have a filler for the B2G1 sale at best buy. Is the PS3 version still having online issues with coop?

Victrix

*beard*
If I might share a word or two of advice: Play this damn game coop. The fights are so fucking insanely intense in four player, it's amazing.

Was doing three player new game+ earlier, it was total madness.

MMaRsu

Shoogoo said:
You would have the game for a full week and hit lvl50 by now if you listened to me
I knooooooooooooooow

But at that time my payment with paypal couldn´t be canceled anymore, so I just though fuck it. I should have it next week, if not I´m just going to buy it instore and sell my asian copy. Don´t have any funds to do that right now though :(.

Barrett2

Alright, im' going to buy this today. I'll get whatever I can find, 360 or PS3. Is the co-op in the PS3 version really bad? Is it even worth getting, or should I just hold out for the 360 version?

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Zzoram said:
In Act 2, the Dahl Highlands or whatever, where are the rifle parts? I found 3 of the 4 around a valve that was fenced in and you need to drop in from above to get to. I can't find the last piece and I've run and jumped all over the place.

Check
inside the wrecked car at the very front (across from the building with the tires inside - not the garage). It's in the front area of the car. This was such a pain in the ass to find as the map indicator is pretty far off.

Just finished my first playthrough, ending up at level 36. Did all the side missions.

I liked the gameplay, driving (so enjoyable to drive in this game, particularly when I compare it to the agony that was driving in Red Faction), damage types, and the specialization tree - my bloodwing was one-shotting enemies by the end of the game. I also liked Claptrap and some of the other secondary characters in this game (but
it was annoying that we didn't learn anything about them, e.g. the scarred woman that runs New Haven
).

Cons:
1.) The single-player plotline and experience is dull. I think one of the problems is that you don't learn anything about your character's backstory. E.g.,
Mordecai was chasing a target that got killed by someone else. But we learn absolutely nothing about why Mordecai was chasing this guy to Pandora or anything else about Mordecai or his target in general. How did he hook up with his bloodwing, for example? The game doesn't address this stuff at all. An expanded backstory would help to make the character you're playing more interesting, instead of him or her just being a cookie-cutter cypher. Also, I was anticipating that your selection of character would impact the subquests open to you. I'm replaying as a Siren and so far everything's the same.

2.) Lack of polish in general. Just little things, like no splashing when you run across water. Not a gamebreaker, but it takes you out of it.

That said, there are some very nice set pieces in this game -
the end stages with the snow falling are gorgeous

3.) Lots of little bugs, e.g., audio logs that don't disappear when you pick them up, the corrosive weapon achievement not unlocking. I had to restart my first playthrough when the Dr. Zed interaction didn't initiate. If you move faster than the game anticipates you will, you can end up in a stall, waiting for action cues that never happen.

Right now it's a 6/10 for me. Some good ideas, but I found the execution uneven.

EDIT: Also, I have a good orange sniper to give away if anyone wants it. Stats: Damage: 248, Accuracy 95.7; Fire Rate 0.9; 4X Fire Modifier; "Pele demands a sacrifice". For some reason, the game generated another orange version of this rifle with slightly better stats. Don't need two, so if you want it just add me on Live and send me a note saying you want it.

Hmm, my friend gets signed out of PSN every time he tries to go to the online menu. Says checking for patch and then disconnects him. Anyone else had this problem?

Jamesfrom818 said:
I just picked up the most awesome level 20 revolver. It regens ammo and has a really fast reload time. I may have to transfer it to my Hunter so it can get the love and attention it deserves.

How do you do that? Is there a way for two people to play characters from the same profile?

Zzoram

NarcissisticJay said:
How do you port -.-

I couldn't figure it out either until somebody told me. Only SOME of the New-U stations let you activate a teleport menu. I think there is only 1 per named area, and you can only teleport to other "main" New-U stations. Just interact with it, and if it's showing your character's custom color scheme, just use the bumpers to flip to the teleport page.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I've been really surprised by how much I've been enjoying this game. It may not be my GOTY, but it'll at least be in the top 5. During the first few hours I didn't even like it, the combat felt weak and I started to get that feeling that I had wasted my money. But as I started leveling up and finding badass weapons, I liked the game more and more. Now I'm loving the combat, playing as a hunter with a high powered sniper and revolver is so cool, I insta-gib any enemy with a lower level. I even don't mind the vehicles now, at first I was unable to control them and thought they were borked, but you just gotta get used to using both sticks instead of just the left like you would for the Mako or a Warthog. I think it's an awesome game and I still have a lot left to do, I've hardly even touched co-op.

Question: For those who have played as multiple classes, like Hunter and Berzerker, does it feel very "different" playing different classes? I'd like to start a new character but it seems like aside from the special moves that the other characters wouldn't play that much different.

bounchfx

Anyone have any idea what the unlock time is for the PC version? the 'street date' (fuck you, gearbox/2k), is the 26th, so does that mean tonight at midnight? est..? pst..?

anyone?

I'm still furious that it was pushed back a week with little to no reason given. fucking friends wanting to play it on pc..

Aaron

Brick, or at least the way I've built him, is so melee focused that he feels very different from the other classes. Soldier has the sweet turret, but the other two feel much the same to me, though I have to add I haven't played them very much.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I've put most of my skill points into accuracy and sniper for my hunter so I can kill enemies from a distance and get 1 hit kill head shots easily, I like that the game lets you build your character to compliment how you like to play an FPS. I think I'll probably go with Brick next, the melee focus will help make it different since I'll be fighting up close instead of from a distance like with my Hunter.

I've played 3 or 4 games online and I still haven't seen anyone playing as the Soldier or Berzerker, the Hunter and Siren seem to be most popular.

Aaron

Snuggler said:
I've put most of my skill points into accuracy and sniper for my hunter so I can kill enemies from a distance and get 1 hit kill head shots easily, I like that the game lets you build your character to compliment how you like to play an FPS. I think I'll probably go with Brick next, the melee focus will help make it different since I'll be fighting up close instead of from a distance like with my Hunter.

I've played 3 or 4 games online and I still haven't seen anyone playing as the Soldier or Berzerker, the Hunter and Siren seem to be most popular.
Brick is probably the hardest character to play since he demands you get up close and personal, which is probably a bad idea against mobs, but right now my rage mode heals me, lunges at targets, does extra damage on kills, and sets people on fire. Once my friend gets his soldier up with healing bullets I expect to be pretty much unstoppable.

Remy

bounchfx said:
Anyone have any idea what the unlock time is for the PC version? the 'street date' (fuck you, gearbox/2k), is the 26th, so does that mean tonight at midnight? est..? pst..?

anyone?

I'm still furious that it was pushed back a week with little to no reason given. fucking friends wanting to play it on pc..

Steam is currently reading at 1 day, 4 hours. Assuming the unlock monkey doesn't fall asleep and that reading is accurate, we're looking at Monday at about 3PM EST / noon PST.

Top Bottom