• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Borderlands |OT| More guns than the population of the Netherlands

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
Hawkian said:
You should watch one of the livestreams to get that kind of a feel.

It wont really give em a quality feel, they need to play it and they'll be hooked! lol
--

In other news I saw a lvl 22 epic shotgun with I think 85 dmg X13 per shot 7 round mag off a vendor and didn't buy it :( I would have prob used it on my hunter.

Grecco

Major Williams said:
I'm honestly on the fence regarding this game. Looking for some advice to buy or not buy.

I love:

- Mass Effect
- Halo franchise proper
- Most FPS (i.e. CoD)
- Half-life story is pretty interesting (7.5/10

What I don't love:

- Gears of War (though 85% is because of the gore)
- WoW

Is it worth a purchase? The guy I play with a lot online is considering purchasing, and I'm not sure if I want to jump off the bridge too yet. Looking for some firsthand, on-the-playground type advice.

No. Its the WOw thing that makes it good. if you hate that you wont like this.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
I have gotten to level 22 so far, within 3 days of playing Borderlands.

Some guns are very sexy, some are just random generated crap.

I got a shield that is high capacity, found it during when I was like lvl 13, it gives me shield protection of 333 lol.

That shield has saved my ass so many times.

I just faced off against
Skagzilla!
, holy shit that was fun, running in circles as a lvl 21 Soldier

Gave me goosebumps + nostalgia of FFXI God in Sky, like Holy Fuck! Aggro Aggro!, someone use provoke, need Healing lol

I overcame it by running in circles + jumping during stomp situations, + my Turret was used 4 times during that 1 match, lol, it was my tank while I shot rocket launchers at it.

That brought back so many memories...aaah!

The weapon you earn from beating the monster is hilarious. I ran up to a dude, and no scoped critical headshoted him, for like 1500 dmg, looooool, and the blood splatter that was gushing out of his neck made me feel so badass

I rarely say this, but this game has set a new standard for gaming, watch now how many companies incorporate or just bite off GearBox

I'm still enjoying Borderlands (early stages)....but I already want Borderlands 2 and 3 looool

Quick tip for others, if you want a head start for others characters, that you want to play later on, + they are trophy/achievement requirements
Early weapons can be splitscreened and given to your "mules" or secondary characters, best option is too kill some of those respawning enemies that drop good loot ie BoneHead... his SMG is lvl 3 requirement, and makes the other characters a little more powerful..quickly
(Almost self-power-leveling)

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
^ I'm still wearing a lvl 13 shield that has ultra fast HP recovery lol... it's 150 shield and decent recovery for the shield itself but the HP regen is awesome, I haven't found many shields in a while..

luxarific said:
If you're single-player only, I don't think it's worth it. Narrative and characters are shallow, there's only a single plot track to get to the ending (you can play different characters, but this doesn't affect what side quests are offered to you - all four types play all the same quests) and the combat gets boring quickly (at least it did for me). If you like replaying games with multiple character builds and randomly generated loot games like Diablo, you will probably enjoy it.
Random looting is not a huge draw for me. Playing online is though. Is there any sort of matchmaking, or is it more like ODST where you have to make your own party?

Didn't see anything about this in my first reading of the OP - can you drop in and out of games? Or if one person wants to join/quit, the session you're in has to end first?

How long is the first playthrough at above-average gamer pace (go through levels 1-20)?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Unicorn said:
Can anyone post a video of gameplay on PC showcasing what is added with the implementation of PhysX?

Just curious how much better this game will look on PC once I get my gaming PC next year.

Nothing is added. Where'd you hear that something would be?

As far as I know, currently there is nothing coded specifically for PhysX in the game.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Ding. Level 41.

The only thing stopping me from Platinum/1000gs is the level 50 trophy/achievement.

And
killing Sledge
so I can leave town and power level on SuperZilla. :(

GraveRobberX

I got to 20 in 3 days Major, and thats just doing missions + side quests + just goofing off and checking out the sites

I tell you the vehicle is the most awesome part, I use that as my catalyst, run over or shoot my rockets at the enemy, get them to low health, jump out shoot them point blank, get mad xp

I ran down this lvl 12 dude, while I was only lvl 7, just drove into him, and bam got like 800xp off him, then an extra 1000xp for finishing up a challenge

They added an extra level to the game by rewarding you bonus xp for finishing up requirements, I think 1000 duels for 5,000xp bonus = kinda retarded

I ran into a strange quirk yesterday. I have a rare revolver that regenerates ammo. The level requirement was 20 when I found it. I dropped it off to my mule and the level requirement changed to 22.

bogg

Oh man I got screwed (kinda). Up untill today at the steam game page it said the game will unlock today, but now I got home, all excited, and I see the date changed to the europian release date, octoder 30.
How cruel...

GraveRobberX

James I think it has to do with Proficiency of said weapon, the better you get at the lesser the requirement for the gun is going to be, + I think the guns do change color with the total amount you lvl ^ weapon proficieny (that's what I think)

I had a green colored reaper, but after getting +2 on pistols +1 on revolver, the color changed to blue for that gun

Grecco said:
Pretty sure thats not at random. Its Chalenges completed.
No I've talked to other people and it's happened to them as well the first time thats what i thought but the next time it happend it was just the Xp no mention of a challenge completed.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
The car seems like a deathtrap in playthrough 2, it takes so long to get out that it always ends up blowing up which either kills or really really hurts everyone. The health whittles down crazy fast too.

GraveRobberX said:
I got to 20 in 3 days Major, and thats just doing missions + side quests + just goofing off and checking out the sites

I tell you the vehicle is the most awesome part, I use that as my catalyst, run over or shoot my rockets at the enemy, get them to low health, jump out shoot them point blank, get mad xp

I ran down this lvl 12 dude, while I was only lvl 7, just drove into him, and bam got like 800xp off him, then an extra 1000xp for finishing up a challenge

They added an extra level to the game by rewarding you bonus xp for finishing up requirements, I think 1000 duels for 5,000xp bonus = kinda retarded
Haha I did that vehicle thing in Mass Effect all the time. Soften up the baddies with the vehicle and get out and murder them for the actual XP they yield (nerfed when using the vehicle guns). I really really enjoyed that in ME...

Thanks guys for the reviews, and continue to post after thoughts, etc of moments that you like in the game. I'm about 90% sure as of now that I'm going to purchase...

....today....

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Major Williams said:
Random looting is not a huge draw for me. Playing online is though. Is there any sort of matchmaking, or is it more like ODST where you have to make your own party?

Didn't see anything about this in my first reading of the OP - can you drop in and out of games? Or if one person wants to join/quit, the session you're in has to end first?

How long is the first playthrough at above-average gamer pace (go through levels 1-20)?

Took me about 5 days, 1 playthrough, all side quests completed. So 30-40 hours? I'm not an above-average gamer though.

There's a drop-in lobby that will match you with a random game, but that's all I can say about the mp.

Coldsnap

Anyone have a high level siren and could tell me their experience?
I'm 18 siren and I'm sorta not carrying my weight when my friends and I play.

Coldsnap said:

The way I ended up building my Siren was tankish. I had phasewalk in and out as fast as possible, but that wasn't the end of it. I bought one in EVERY skill from the elemental tree, which allowed my guns to almost always shoot elemental effects. I had a corrosive artifact, which meant wherever I left or entered, I would poison enemies. I also had pheonix, and I would always run around to catch enemies on fire; this essentially let me stack every elemental effect possible on the enemy and it withered at their health.

also, whos up for some pc play soon? no mic until like next week.

cluto

Grecco said:
No. Its the WOw thing that makes it good. if you hate that you wont like this.
I've never played WoW. I'm not interested in playing WoW. The idea of WoW makes me sick. But I love Borderlands.

Major Williams, I love all those games you listed you liked, and I honestly think you would enjoy Borderlands. If you like games that blend RPGness and shooting things (Mass Effect), and you're a fan of first person shooters, it seems like a no brainer which side of the fence you should be on. Borderlands is a great shooter, and it has great RPG elements/loot/co-op.

Coldsnap said:

I think a party oriented Siren should have a lot of points in Controller and Assassin. Be in the thick of things using phasewalk to daze mobs.

Coldsnap said:

Fire SMG's > any other gun for you

Just wait it out. By the time yall get to level 30 and you add your skill tree's right........ everyone will be wanting to know how to catch up with you.

She's a badass as soon as she is high enough level to be one.

Exarchos said:
I've never played WoW. I'm not interested in playing WoW. The idea of WoW makes me sick. But I love Borderlands.

Major Williams, I love all those games you listed you liked, and I honestly think you would enjoy Borderlands. If you like games that blend RPGness and shooting things (Mass Effect), and you're a fan of first person shooters, it seems like a no brainer which side of the fence you should be on. Borderlands is a great shooter, and it has great RPG elements/loot/co-op.
I really like this reply. You guys just pushed me over the edge lol. I'm in.

What's the best class? I was leaning towards Siren, but it seems like I won't feel raw power with her. Any opinion on the strongest class?

Major Williams said:
What I don't love:

- Gears of War (though 85% is because of the gore)

No gore in this game, nope. Oh, wait. By gore do you mean dismemberment, decapitation, and fountains of blood from severed artieries? Then, yeah, it's got gore. :lol

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
SuperEnemyCrab said:
I think I am going to use Roland on my first playthrough. Am I expected to be the group healer? Is that how most people are using him?

Nope, he's equally viable as a healer or one man army from what I've heard.

Aptos

Coldsnap said:

I have a level 50 Lilith and I have to say, she's not very team oriented. However, if you're playing with friends, spec into the
bullet daze
skill because it will really help keep people alive. Also, the
Defender
class mods will help your team as well.

Other than that, focus on getting elemental tech weapons and understanding enemies' weaknesses. A weapon that does less damage but has an elemental tech is often times much better against enemies who are vulnerable to it.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
sparky2112 said:
No gore in this game, nope. Oh, wait. By gore do you mean dismemberment, decapitation, and fountains of blood from severed artieries? Then, yeah, it's got gore. :lol

So true! :lol Although, Gears is probably more "realistic", given its setting. Borderlands feels like a farcical version of Fallout.

I enjoyed the death effect when you kill someone with shock weapons. Very amusing.

Aptos

SuperEnemyCrab said:
I think I am going to use Roland on my first playthrough. Am I expected to be the group healer? Is that how most people are using him?

You don't have to be a healer, but personally, if I'm ever playing with a Roland I demand he spec into 5/5
bullet regeneration
!

Luxarific said:
I enjoyed the death effect when you kill someone with shock weapons. Very amusing.

I've had an enemy eyeball pop out and fly at my screen before... hilarious.

FinKL

Its 12:03, 3 minutes past unlocking. Why hasn't the internet exploded yet? Everyone at work/class? I'll get to play for 30 minutes tonight then going to D.C. for interviews for a week :(

Thats weird. When I checked last night, the hours totally added up to it being 3pm est. Looks like the countdown just can't go lower than 1 hour and it'll be any minute now. I hope anyway.

Rahk

Rokk said:
Steam just updated from available in 1 hour to available in 3 days 3 hours. GG New Zealand :(
Ditto for Australia. Fuck. Would have gotten an American copy if I knew. Fuckers! Woke up at 6AM for nothing. :(

Been waiting for this day for weeks, and now I have to wait another 3 days. Yaaaay.

Top Bottom