• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Borderlands |OT| More guns than the population of the Netherlands

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
SuperAwesome said:
Am i doing something wrong? nHancer with 8xAA multisampling didn't do anything. Gah.

That doesn't sound good. I'll do extensive testing + screenies when I get home...

Blizzard

Banned
SuperAwesome said:
gr...the FOV seems really off, as does the really thick black outline with no options for AA. what is this supposed optimization they were working on?
Were you guys not reading my posts? :p To summarize earlier stuff:

1. No AA. NO AA. You might be able to force MSAA with nHancer or something. I dunno about .ini file hacks, will check.

2. For FOV fixing, you can probably bind a key to "fov 60" or something via .ini file hacks. Haven't tried it. Hopefully they didn't lock the .ini files down like Mirror's Edge, but even if they did, I can probably get around that though it'd be awkward.

3. I don't really expect they were working on optimization. I suspect they kept the release a week rate to try to stop pirates from getting it as early, and pirates still got it. No, the textures are apparently not that much better. No, it doesn't really look better than the console version aside from resolution?

4. Decrypting? Yes, I kept telling you all there would be 7GB of data to decrypt. :p

5. Game not launching? Maybe the Steam verification servers are getting hammered like a couple of us predicted. :lol

Blizzard

Banned
Tokubetsu said:
Yeah, its not really helping so far. No V-Sync option either.
Any tearing? There's probably a .ini file hack that can be done to add vsync though, or try D3DOverrider instead. *edit* Actually, I'd almost bet that there's a frame limit option in .ini files, even if not a vsync option.

Looks pretty good with everything at max @ 1080p. I turned on fraps, it's getting between 45-60fps in the opening area at least. Cutscenes are locked @ 30fps it looks like.

Also to those asking about Xbox 360 controller compatibility, it detected it right away and works fine. You can even invert the aim, thank god.

Going to play a little single player, but definitely want to jump into co-op soon!

Blizzard said:
Any tearing?

Yeah, its quite noticeable.

jabipun

Anyone else agree that there are both pros/cons to playing solo or co-op. Sometimes it's just better to play by yourself, and other times it's more fun with others.

drakesfortune

Directions: Pull String For Uninformed Rant
Sorry if this has been answered, but if I buy this on Steam, I can still hook up with my friends that didn't buy it on Steam, right? I've never done any MP games on Steam, so excuse the ignorance.

anovice

Neo Member
jabipun said:
Anyone else agree that there are both pros/cons to playing solo or co-op. Sometimes it's just better to play by yourself, and other times it's more fun with others.

I completely agree; particularly when I'm first starting to learn the game. Rarely is it fun to learn it together. Ends up being a cluster.

Any other time it depends on the mood.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
nwkefo.png

Goonboy wtf are you doing?!

Steam said:
This game is currently unavailable.
Please try again at another time.

WTF? WTF??!?!?

Did you unlock it just to tease me?

Edit: Maybe I killed off a needed process when I killed off a bunch of processes to make my machine faster for the game?

Blizzard

Banned
SuperEnemyCrab said:
Yeah, its quite noticeable.
Awesome! I'll be trying D3DOverrider first thing.

And yes you should be able to play with your retail PC friends. This game uses Gamespy multiplayer matching, not Steam.

Grecco

Exarchos said:
I've never played WoW. I'm not interested in playing WoW. The idea of WoW makes me sick. But I love Borderlands.

Major Williams, I love all those games you listed you liked, and I honestly think you would enjoy Borderlands. If you like games that blend RPGness and shooting things (Mass Effect), and you're a fan of first person shooters, it seems like a no brainer which side of the fence you should be on. Borderlands is a great shooter, and it has great RPG elements/loot/co-op.

Then you might not hate Wow as much as you think

Blizzard

Banned
Kinda ugly screenshot!

speculawyer said:
WTF? WTF??!?!?

Did you unlock it just to tease me?

Edit: Maybe I killed off a needed process when I killed off a bunch of processes to make my machine faster for the game?
I doubt it. That error is probably from the Steam verification server going down since it runs on a 386 and everyone's trying to unlock the game. Try restarting Steam a few times, and going to game properties, verify game integrity or whatever the option is if that doesn't work.

Blizzard said:
Kinda ugly screenshot!

I like the artistic style of the game, but from a purely technical standpoint lets just say Crysis has nothing to fear from Borderlands. :D

Edit: I just tried forcing v-sync through CCC, didn't make a difference, still a lot of tearing.

careksims

Just played for a small bit. THIS IS AWESOME on the PC ::D :D :D :D Oh many a nights I will be addicted to this.

Everything running smoothly but I also notice the no AA...

Endgame players: is there a particular place that's good to grind for orange loot after completion or should I just keep going on my new game+?

Also can I take my second playthrough character into a first playthrough co-op game or vice versa?

Third, do you know if you can copy characters/game saves from the x360 HD to a memory cart if my splitscreen buddy wants to take his character back to his console?

Brannon

The hell kind of ending was that?

I want names. And I want them now.

*Watches credits*

Agata Krol - Creative Director.

YOU SUCK. But everybody else is okay.

JudgeN

Haven't picked up the game yet but here is a temp fix for the FOV, I found on gearbox offical forums. Not sure if it works though :lol

Just a temporary method;

Go to my documents\games\borderlands\willowgame

open willowinput.ini
add
Bindings=(Name="F10",Command="FOV 90",Control=False,Shift=False,Alt=False)
Bindings=(Name="F11",Command="FOV 110",Control=False,Shift=False,Alt=False)
add it amongst the other bindings, change the fov to whatever you want and switch it by the corresponding keys

to turn voice chat off;
open willowengine.ini in the same directory

find bHasVoiceEnabled=true
change it to false and you wont be transmitting voice all the time(dunno if it stops you from hearing other people)

Keric

vesp said:
I need me some AA and V-Synch for an ATI card, someone come to my rescue.

This

The lack of V-Synch is killing me. The tearing is so distracting. And yea, AA is pretty much non-existent.

Damn multiplats

edit: Still having fun so far though!

Red

Anyone else having trouble getting this to run in widescreen on PC? Every time I start up the game my resolution gets all distorted, no matter what setting I have it on. It's not only the Borderlands display either, the Steam overlay is also squashed. I can set up widescreen resolutions, but I have like 4 inches of nothing on either side of my monitor.

Nevermind, it's working now. For some reason it was stuck on 1366x768 (I think), but it righted itself when I restarted. It's a good looking game with details all the way up, but the tearing is pretty bad.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Damn, I feel like crying. I love revolvers and use them pretty much exclusively and last night some nice guy gave me a badass revolver with a 3.9 rate of fire, ricochet and exploside bullets, it was glorious. But then I accidently dropped it and couldn't fuckin find it, so now it's gone....never to be generated again. : (
Can't wait to get out of work and play this game, I'll be on after midnight, so Late Night PS3 GAF should keep an eye out for me.

Hawk SE

Well I bought Borderlands on Steam just before noon, snagged it for $44.99
- Currently downloading.

I'll be on 4pm PST to play it.

Steam: Hawk xSx

Blizzard

Banned
Good tips about the .ini file. If it's like Mirror's Edge there's also a nice automatic screenshot button that may already be mapped (F8?). I'll try to make sure I have the voicechat disable thing bound if it's always on...

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
JudgeN said:
Haven't picked up the game yet but here is a temp fix for the FOV, I found on gearbox offical forums. Not sure if it works though :lol

Just a temporary method;

Go to my documents\games\borderlands\willowgame

open willowinput.ini
add
Bindings=(Name="F10",Command="FOV 90",Control=False,Shift=False,Alt=False)
Bindings=(Name="F11",Command="FOV 110",Control=False,Shift=False,Alt=False)
add it amongst the other bindings, change the fov to whatever you want and switch it by the corresponding keys

to turn voice chat off;
open willowengine.ini in the same directory

find bHasVoiceEnabled=true
change it to false and you wont be transmitting voice all the time(dunno if it stops you from hearing other people)

This will work. That's the willow ini I was mentioning before.

The keybindings make it so you can switch on the fly. You can change those numbers (90 and 110) to whatever suits you. I think 60 might be too narrow even for me, so thanks for the config.

Now to figure out AA. I'm on it as soon as I get home from work, GAF!

bounchfx

just played for the first time on pc.. about an hour... I think i'm actually regretting getting it on pc, and not just because I had to wait another week. hum. i'll try it more tonight when i'm not at work, with a 360 controller as well. I really wish it was GFW live and not FUCKING GAMESPY UGH I HATE GAMESPY.

sigh.

Snuggler said:
Damn, I feel like crying. I love revolvers and use them pretty much exclusively and last night some nice guy gave me a badass revolver with a 3.9 rate of fire, ricochet and exploside bullets, it was glorious. But then I accidently dropped it and couldn't fuckin find it, so now it's gone....never to be generated again. : (
Can't wait to get out of work and play this game, I'll be on after midnight, so Late Night PS3 GAF should keep an eye out for me.
Was it called the MadJack? If so thats a unique Item that a boss drops. Kill him and you'll get it again.

JudgeN

SuperEnemyCrab said:
I like the artistic style of the game, but from a purely technical standpoint lets just say Crysis has nothing to fear from Borderlands. :D

Edit: I just tried forcing v-sync through CCC, didn't make a difference, still a lot of tearing.

Is it a directx game? Maybe D3D Overrider?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
11b2bko.png

GAH SOMEONE MAKE MY WORK DAY END NOW.

EDIT:
Steam said:
Tokubetsu is now playing Borderlands

OH MY GOD I CAN'T TAKE IT ANYMORE :p

Shout out to all my european compatriots who have to wait three more DAYS, not hours.

Teknoman

The only place I see tearing is during the FMV cutscenes. Like the intro. In the actual game itself, nothing. Game seemed to default to 16x AF though. I've got everything high and bumped AF down to 2x (the visual difference after that is pretty low). Res is set at 1440x900.

Runs really smooth with a few minor drops when looking at certain areas.

EDIT: wtf at not using steam for the friends list though. We've gotta add each other through Gamespy yet its sold through steam?

Top Bottom