• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Borderlands |OT| More guns than the population of the Netherlands

Lord Phol

Gotta join in on the game doesn't explain things very well bandwagon.
Some descirptions are very vague, and I really think they should have shown the +skills you get with the class mods in some way. Either by using like green numbers or write the extra points in "()" brackets.

Another thing i've been pondering about is on green weapons and such, when it says "+50% dmg" in the description and alike, is that allready calculated in the weapons dmg stat, or does it add +50% dmg on top of that?

Also while on the subject, is there any good forum thread or site where you might be able to find this kind of information?

Edit: Thanks Hawkian, will check out!

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Blizzzzard, you haven't even seen how it performs yet!

EDIT: Phol, from what I hear the guidebook does a great job of that stuff, but I don't know if there's a good online resource for it yet.

The wiki: http://borderlands.wikia.com

Will probably have everything you could ever need eventually, if it doesn't already.

ElyrionX said:
The 360 controller is far superior for most games
That I would say is just personal preference. The only way a controller would actually be superior is having a button or function the other doesn't have. Since I don't think the motion sensor is used on the PS3 version, there is no difference.

I am so addicited to this game. I had off work Friday and I didn't get off the game but only to sleep from Thursday night....... to now at work on Monday.

WOW.

Figured out something nice though.

I kept joining high level peoples games with my low level character. Got him from a level 1 to level 36 in just under ONE. yes I said ONE night of playing.

***EDIT*** And how many people have been to the Basement in New Haven?

That basement is AWESOME

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
There don't seem to be many graphics card related issues with running it out of the box, either Nvidia or ATI. Then again, it's been out less than a day.

poweld

MidnightRider said:
I am so addicited to this game. I had off work Friday and I didn't get off the game but only to sleep from Thursday night....... to now at work on Monday.

WOW.

I kept joining high level peoples games with my low level character. Got him from a level 1 to level 36 in just under ONE. yes I said ONE night of playing.

That basement is AWESOME
What's the basement about? IIRC, I finished the game and never went into the basement. Is it an easter egg?

Sceren

Neo Member
I don't think it has. Steampowered.com still says 4 hours. I guess they're sticking to their 12PM PST unlock time.

Which is fine, I'm not off work until 1:15 PST

vehn

MidnightRider said:

WOW.

That basement is AWESOME

sort of ruins the game to lvl that quickly... not like there is a whole bunch of stuff to do at 50

Tobor

MidnightRider said:

WOW.

That basement is AWESOME
Why would you want to powerlevel like that? I payed $60 for Borderlands, I want to take my time and enjoy it.

glaurung

Lord Phol said:
Some descirptions are very vague, and I really think they should have shown the +skills you get with the class mods in some way.
Someone else asked how the weapon proficiency skill levels up - I believe that the experience you are earning feeds straight into the weapon you are holding (outside quest rewards). So playing a soldier, holding a revolver and getting kills with the Scorpio Turret feeds into the revolver prof.

NVM, I am the stupid.

ant3b

Bumblebeetuna said:
I have a level 30 Hunter.. game has been a complete cakewalk since very early in the game. Is anyone else experiencing this weak difficulty progression? I have a rifle that just annihilates everything the game throws at me and anytime I need health I just throw my bird out there and he gives me hundreds of HP.

Do any of the other characters have a tougher time?

Wait until you get to OLD HAVEN... GRRRR lol

I love how the wiki has class mod descriptions, that's really helpful. I'll be going Heavy Gunner or Support Gunner, they seem to have the best upgrades for me. Leader has the best bonuses and the name is awesome, but the skill increases suck.

who's to say how he should enjoy the game? ...to each it's own my friend. If powerleveling is his thing, then so be it. We are entitled to our own sense of enjoyment, correct?

...Where are you finding these high level custom parties? I barely ever come across any...mostly 16 and lower. 18 if I'm lucky. I avoid low level games, figured it would ruin the experience for others.

Lord Phol

dark10x said:
Wait, so what "problems" exist in the PS3 version?

dark10x
60 fps 60 fps 60 fps 60 fps 30 fps 60 fps 60 fps
(Today, 04:23 PM)

From what I've read the fps drops more often than in the 360 version. Haven't compared them myself but from my experience with the PS3 version I can say for a fact that it drops quite often and sometimes freezes for a period of seconds.
To sum it up, it's another non-optimized PS3 port, though the game is still great and playable IMO.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
ElyrionX said:
If one version is obviously the technically superior version, why would you prefer the other version?

Maybe because... *gasp* WE DON'T GIVE A SHIT!?

The 360 controller is far superior for most games

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol Okay, disregarding everything you said since opinions are definitive statements for you.

Meanwhile: Wow, Playthrough 2 is just... boring. It toughens the enemies but it isn't speeding my climb to level 40 at all. Just hit level 37 and been grinding for about hour or so to level 38. I'm about midway there, but I'm calling it quits for now.

poweld said:
What's the basement about? IIRC, I finished the game and never went into the basement. Is it an easter egg?

It's an awesome Easter Egg.

Everytime you go down there you get all of this crazy weapons......

You can quit out and come back.....

It's a building that randomly opens up for ONE part of the game.

When you start the "Another piece of the puzzle" mission. Don't go kill the Rakk Hive. Instead.... go back to New Haven and search all of the buildings lower right hand side of the map. One will have a door that will open when you get near it. Go inside and ride the elevator down to the basement.

TheSeks said:
Meanwhile: Wow, Playthrough 2 is just... boring. It toughens the enemies but it isn't speeding my climb to level 40 at all. Just hit level 37 and been grinding for about hour or so to level 38. I'm about midway there, but I'm calling it quits for now.

Really? I started at level 37 (I think) on my second playthrough, right now I'm in the area right past the arid badlands and I'm level 43 now. Should easily hit level 50 by end game and the loot drops are wayyyyyy better then in the first game. Maybe your just bored going through the quests again?

Also did anyone find out how to get that Claptrap at the first place you come to in the game?

The only way to see him is to stand on top of a building. On top of said building there is an arrow pointing towards the rock hills. There is a claptrap up there waving and yelling at you(on top of the rock hills)..... I still can't find a way to get to him.

I know he is not needed for the achievements.... as that achievement has been gotten by my friends who have never been up there to him.

Philthy

Hawkian said:
Blizzzzard, you haven't even seen how it performs yet!

There have been live streams of the PC version for days now. It looks great, but the only comments I have seen are that the FOV is so broken at higher resolutions it isn't playable. Something like that can probably be fixed if thats the case with the release version.

Frostburn

MidnightRider said:
Also did anyone find out how to get that Claptrap at the first place you come to in the game?

The only way to see him is to stand on top of a building. On top of said building there is an arrow pointing towards the rock hills. There is a claptrap up there waving and yelling at you(on top of the rock hills)..... I still can't find a way to get to him.

I know he is not needed for the achievements.... as that achievement has been gotten by my friends who have never been up there to him.
In the Gearbox forum they are saying you can't get to him and it is just a joke by the Devs.

I remember reading something about the sniping being difficult in this game. Can anyone comment on their sniper spec characters, i guess it's Mordecai right?

I don't have the game yet, but I'm planning on getting it soon.

Pctx

Banned
Calavera520 said:
I remember reading something about the sniping being difficult in this game. Can anyone comment on their sniper spec characters, i guess it's Mordecai right?

Snipping is easy. There is a little bob or sway that once you figure out, headshots come naturally. The hardest part of playing Mordecai is remembering you scout first, shoot second. I am loving my backup elemental pistols and shotty's tho. :D

Grecco

anyone know how to get the repair kit for the claptrap in kroms kanyon? i see it haning from a string but hell i cant reach it

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Philthy said:
There have been live streams of the PC version for days now. It looks great, but the only comments I have seen are that the FOV is so broken at higher resolutions it isn't playable. Something like that can probably be fixed if thats the case with the release version.

I have seen some fantastic streams, but I didn't know any of them were the PC version. Hard to tell at the output resolution of the stream for me.

glaurung

Grecco said:
anyone know how to get the repair kit for the claptrap in kroms kanyon? i see it haning from a string but hell i cant reach it
Jump onto the building with the two exploding barrels, but shoot the barrels from a safe distance first.

Then jump onto the right-hand ledge of the building with the repair kit. From there, jump onto the right ledge.

The long jump is easier when running, so remeber to click that stick even on that short runway.

bounchfx

Philthy said:

uh, what? this better not be the case. what do you define as 'high res'? because I'll be playing at 1600x1200

Beat the final boss last night in a group of 2 others. The last boss dropped 2 greens and a blue...really random loot :lol

Edit: Does anybody else use the Hard Volcano it's a legendary Sniper Rifle, I love it?

eXistor

Calavera520 said:

Sniping is easy as pie imo. I've used sniper rifles for a huge chunk of the game, only sometimes switching over to pistols or shotguns for close-combat.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
TheSeks said:

It's still a slower rise to 50, but it's basically the only way to get there; I'm 42 at Dahl Headlands right now. I've only been taking the sidequests that are worth it, so it's not uncommon to turn in 4-5 quests all worth 12K+.

Boss Man

Should I get this game over Arkham Asylum? It looks like something I'd definitely enjoy, but idk whether or not to open Batman yet or to take it back for this. FPS and RPG are my favorite genres...

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Anerythristic said:
Edit: Does anybody else use the Hard Volcano it's a legendary Sniper Rifle, I love it?

:lol it is very likely that no one else in the entire world has that gun. Loot is procedurally generated, so that even if someone had a gun with the same name it would almost certainly have different stats.

Unless it's a boss drop or "unique." But that sounds like a generated orange, right?

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
Calavera520 said:

Getting consistent headshots can be difficult with the amount of close range kamekazis that you get, skags or human crazy bastards. Very long distances and weapon sway can make it tough but not impossible to at least get high damaging body shots in, the problem is that early on most sniper rifles don't have a high capacity magazine and you'll most likely miss a lot of shots.

I would say early on pre level 13 is when you'll have more trouble sniping things if you go solo first.

I didn't level with the sniper spec, did pet spec first then gunslinger which is the best for soloing imo (not gun specced) but the crit damage/chaotic healing/low bloodwing cooldown gunslinger spec.

Regardless of weapons used this game requires a degree of skill to take down things more effectively and it's not just mindless blasting all over the place and kill so far at least for me as a lvl 22

Plan on getting yourself a good assault rifle or SMG as a secondary and get a revolver soon after as a third.

StateofMind said:
Should I get this game over Arkham Asylum? It looks like something I'd definitely enjoy, but idk whether or not to open Batman yet or to take it back for this. FPS and RPG are my favorite genres...

Ummm, Idk. I LOVED Batman, but now that I've beaten it I don't really have any desire to play it anymore. I think you'll get more game time for your dollar with Borderlands.

Talamius

Philthy said:

Isn't this something that can just be fixed with console or INI tweaks?

glaurung

Talamius said:
Isn't this something that can just be fixed with console or INI tweaks?
I say the engine has been developed for consoles, the PC version is a quick'n'dirty port.

Whatever it needs, it's more than configuration tweaks or console commands. Which is a shame.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
I figured there was something wrong with the FOV lol.

They need to patch in a minimap on the console version and other little goodies.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
SundaySounds said:
Ummm, Idk. I LOVED Batman, but now that I've beaten it I don't really have any desire to play it anymore. I think you'll get more game time for your dollar with Borderlands.

Yeah. Batman is currently my personal GOTY, but I tragically couldn't beat it in time for Borderlands to come out and have to put it on hold because Borderlands just appeals to me so much more in style and gameplay. Batman is an epic singleplayer experience with a lot of content, but multiplayer, mutiple-class lootfest like Borderlands can be psuedo-endlessly replayable for your money if you are into them.

EDIT: Why do you guys think FOV can't be altered with ini tweaks? Wouldn't it be in the standard UE3 willow ini or whatever?

Anyone know where the repair kit is for the clap trap in Shep's Shack? I think I have the name right.....?

I started out at level 11 going in there but I had to level up to 14 before making it anywhere.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
Batman is an awesome game.

Borderlands despite missing goodies and small issues here and there is a very enjoyable game that ALSO challenges you, I would suggest you get borderlands and rent Batman later on but definitely play and beat batman at some point.

Yoritomo

Dr. Kitty Muffins said:
Anyone know where the repair kit is for the clap trap in Shep's Shack? I think I have the name right.....?

I started out at level 11 going in there but I had to level up to 14 before making it anywhere.

I think it's up on top of the exterior of a ventilation shaft. If it's the one I'm thinking of.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Slayer-33 said:
Batman is an awesome game.

Borderlands despite missing goodies and small issues here and there is a very enjoyable game that ALSO challenges you, I would suggest you get borderlands and rent Batman later on but definitely play and beat batman at some point.

Yes, definitely beat it at some point (telling this to myself as well as everyone else :lol). The production values are absolutely off the charts. It makes every other superhero game so far feel like a half-assed job... actually, kind of like TDK did for superhero movies.

For a full price purchase though, I always prefer games with multiplayer/options for long replayability.

Top Bottom