• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Borderlands |OT| More guns than the population of the Netherlands

TheSeks said:
Meanwhile: Wow, Playthrough 2 is just... boring. It toughens the enemies but it isn't speeding my climb to level 40 at all. Just hit level 37 and been grinding for about hour or so to level 38. I'm about midway there, but I'm calling it quits for now.

Wait, you actually played through this game, despite the fact that the whole time leading up to its release you were calling it shit?

BobFromPikeCreek said:
Wait, you actually played through this game, despite the fact that the whole time leading up to its release you were calling it shit?
Or hes just making up a story to find a new way to troll it and say "LOL BORING IM QUITTING"

:\

Hawkian said:
Loot is procedurally generated, so that even if someone had a gun with the same name it would almost certainly have different stats.

Doh! Have pretty much read this whole thread and played half the game and I had no idea this was the case. :lol Don't worry, my new glasses are ordered and should be on their way (true story, and bi-focals, even). :(

kylej

Banned
Wow I'm loving how quick Playthrough 2 lets you keep progressing. Nothing like picking up $120,000 class mods while doing Fyrestone missions for Zed.

gillty

Banned
roMonster said:
Have there been any problems reported with ATI cards?
just got home from the store 30mins ago so far no problems on my 4890, of course like every other unreal3 game you can't force AA easily with an ATI card like you can with nHancer.

Grecco

glaurung said:
Jump onto the building with the two exploding barrels, but shoot the barrels from a safe distance first.

Then jump onto the right-hand ledge of the building with the repair kit. From there, jump onto the right ledge.

The long jump is easier when running, so remeber to click that stick even on that short runway.

Thanks. Finally got it.

Also got my first Gold level gun. A pistol. Killed reaver by mistake too.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
slasher_thrasher21 said:
Really? I started at level 37 (I think) on my second playthrough, right now I'm in the area right past the arid badlands and I'm level 43 now. Should easily hit level 50 by end game and the loot drops are wayyyyyy better then in the first game. Maybe your just bored going through the quests again?

That's been my experience as well on the 2nd playthrough. Leveling to 37 from 36 only took me 15 minutes. In my 1st playthrough going from 35 to 36 took about and hour and a half. This ease of leveling at the beginning of the game mirrors what we saw in the first playthrough, so I'm wondering if the pace will slow as you get closer to the end of the game on your 2nd playthrough.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Valru said:
just got home from the store 30mins ago so far no problems on my 4890, of course like every other unreal3 game you can't force AA easily with an ATI card like you can with nHancer.

ATI Tray Tools doesn't work? I always thought it was the feature-for-feature equivalent of nHancer.

So if you complete every sidequest, what are the odds you hit the level cap by the time you finish the game?

Also, with class modifier items that give skill points, how does that work? Do you have to have at least 1 point in that skill for it to kick in? If you have 5/5 in that skill, does that skill modifier allow you to go above the max level? So if you have a +2 modifier, would you be able to get 7/5? I wish they were more transparent about this stuff.

Philthy

bounchfx said:
uh, what? this better not be the case. what do you define as 'high res'? because I'll be playing at 1600x1200

Well, report back when you play and let us know. It's just random comments I've seen around. People complained about Bioshock, but I never had an issue.

StateofMind said:
Should I get this game over Arkham Asylum? It looks like something I'd definitely enjoy, but idk whether or not to open Batman yet or to take it back for this. FPS and RPG are my favorite genres...

A friend was telling me about it last night while playing a co-op game of Borderlands and he said the game (Arkham Asylum) is totally awesome, but it's way too short for the cost. It took him a weekend to get through it and he's not a person that rips through games as fast as possible. If you played Diablo and replayed it, you will play this, and then replaying it. It has a lot of that charm that is fun just mucking around with all the different classes and collecting the loots.

gillty

Banned
Hawkian said:
ATI Tray Tools doesn't work? I always thought it was the feature-for-feature equivalent of nHancer.
I've never gotten it to work on my system for the few u3 games i've played. haven't tried borderlands.

kylej

Banned
RiggenBlaque said:
So if you complete every sidequest, what are the odds you hit the level cap by the time you finish the game?

For your first playthrough? You will not come close to filling out your skill tree and if you complete every quest and sidequest in the game you will end up around level 36.

ElyrionX

TheSeks said:
Maybe because... *gasp* WE DON'T GIVE A SHIT!?

You don't give a shit about getting the best bang for your buck? When you can choose between a superior and an inferior product, you would choose the inferior one because you simply "don't give a shit"? Really? You can actually stand living your life being so consciously irrational?

luxarific

Nork unification denier
RiggenBlaque said:

Just by playing all the sidequests, it's not possible. You'd have to go out and farm randomly generated enemies and repeat dungeon levels like Old Haven. From this thread people who complete all the sidequests finish up at levels 33-36.

Captain N

Two quick questions

1) Can I expand my backpack to hold more than 12 things?

2) Did anyone else have a problem with Scavenger: Sniper Rifle? one of the pieces isn't where the map says it should be

Captain N said:
Two quick questions

2) Did anyone else have a problem with Scavenger: Sniper Rifle? one of the pieces isn't where the map says it should be
Anytime an item is given to you for completing a quest your back pack expands, also finding and repairing clap traps expands your back pack.

kylej

Banned
Captain N said:
Two quick questions

1) Yes, repair broken claptraps.

2) The waypoint only gives you the general location. You have to hunt them down in that area.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Philthy said:
People complained about Bioshock, but I never had an issue.

Glad to hear that. I never minded Bioshock's FOV either, and the shit I saw on the forums about that was pure vitriol.

The odds are 0/100000. I have heard of people completing the second playthrough without reaching the cap.

Lay off TheSeks, guys. He thought the game looked like crap, rented it, changed his mind and now only thinks it looks vaguely reminiscent of crap. -_-

Finally: http://googleads.g.doubleclick.net/pagead/imgad?id=CPaAl5uM2d_vdhDYBRhPMghwGVFzJ-0kXQ :lol Oh google.

Philthy said:
Well, report back when you play and let us know. It's just random comments I've seen around. People complained about Bioshock, but I never had an issue.

A friend was telling me about it last night while playing a co-op game of Borderlands and he said the game (Arkham Asylum) is totally awesome, but it's way too short for the cost. It took him a weekend to get through it and he's not a person that rips through games as fast as possible. If you played Diablo and replayed it, you will play this, and then replaying it. It has a lot of that charm that is fun just mucking around with all the different classes and collecting the loots.
the game isn't to short it's long enough. it's that good you want more, but if the game was made to be say 15 hours you would have hated the last part also the challenge modes balance that game by the dollar because you end up putting more time in to those then the game itself. I highly recommend it. So far it's my game of the year. I'll be playing Brutal Legend sometime this week so we will see and MW2 is still a few weeks away.....

Captain N said:
Two quick questions

It's in the burnt out car, in the drivers seat.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
luxarific said:
Just by playing all the sidequests, it's not possible. You'd have to go out and farm randomly generated enemies and repeat dungeon levels like Old Haven. From this thread people who complete all the sidequests finish up at levels 33-36.

Going out and farming wouldn't work either, once you get a few levels above people you get complete crap for exp.

Raide

Captain N said:
Two quick questions

As people have already said, repair the Claptraps around. Don't forget to actually use the item. I spent ages just thinking they would auto expand...nope! You have to use them and you get more space. :lol

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Papercuts said:
Going out and farming wouldn't work either, once you get a few levels above people you get complete crap for exp.

Well, it would take you a (very) long time, but theoretically it would be possible. But it's true that non-boss enemies give you crap for xp points. Quicker just to go through a second time. Or I guess play with high level people.

Papercuts

luxarific said:
Well, it would take you a (very) long time, but theoretically it would be possible. But it's true that non-boss enemies give you crap for xp points. Quicker just to go through a second time. Or I guess play with high level people.

I actually think at a certain point the enemies will completely stop giving any. :p

Papercuts

So many pretty colors! Yay siren. :lol

Didn't realize I had flash on until after the pic was taken, but that was too hectic to take again.

Hawkian said:
Pretty sure you still get 1xp.

I was in a level 10's game for a bit back when I was a 24 or so and I recall not getting some at points. Then again, that might be from running people over so that's different.

Who the fuck is Scooter?

Do I have to get all claptraps to open all inventory on first playthrough? Can you even? Can you get the same ones if you're on playthrough 2?

Is there a point of no return? I think I'm pretty far.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
xxjuicesxx said:
Who the fuck is Scooter?

Do I have to get all claptraps to open all inventory on first playthrough? Can you even? Can you get the same ones if you're on playthrough 2?

Is there a point of no return? I think I'm pretty far.
How could you be that far and still not know who Scooter is? That confuses me.

jmdajr said:
question

Does The PC version of the game support the 360 controller?

I think so, but I'd like to know for sure as well.

Also, it's the 26th and my pre-load is complete, but it's not out yet? Does Steam have a specific hour they release games on or something?

Anerythristic said:
Edit: Does anybody else use the Hard Volcano it's a legendary Sniper Rifle, I love it?

I have it.

I have a level 25 one with 307 damage x4 fire 3 rounds

also have

level 35 one with 754 damage x4 fire 3 rounds

level 41 one with 534 damage x4 fire 7 rounds

Swag

Phaethon0017 said:
I think so, but I'd like to know for sure as well.

Also, it's the 26th and my pre-load is complete, but it's not out yet? Does Steam have a specific hour they release games on or something?

I think it's unlocking in about an hour, the wait is excruciatingly painful.

thetrin said:
How could you be that far and still not know who Scooter is? That confuses me.

I don't know, I was pretty sick the first couple days playing the game, on a lot of drugs I think I just zoned out.

Who's he?

luxarific

Nork unification denier
xxjuicesxx said:
I don't know, I was pretty sick the first couple days playing the game, on a lot of drugs I think I just zoned out.

Who's he?

He's the
Catch a Ride "voice". In New Haven he sits on the right as you first enter the town. He's on the left when you emerge from quick travel.

I'm honestly on the fence regarding this game. Looking for some advice to buy or not buy.

I love:

- Mass Effect
- Halo franchise proper
- Most FPS (i.e. CoD)
- Half-life story is pretty interesting (7.5/10

What I don't love:

- Gears of War (though 85% is because of the gore)
- WoW

Is it worth a purchase? The guy I play with a lot online is considering purchasing, and I'm not sure if I want to jump off the bridge too yet. Looking for some firsthand, on-the-playground type advice.

desertdroog

If you have an affinity to play loot whore games (read as OCD about loot acquisition and management), you will like this.

FPS+Diablo isn't far from the truth. Sure the levels and enemies are a grind..but that is how you get your levels up and loot.

Grinding is good, grinding with friends in coop is best!

I also wrote this game off as a shot in the dark for cross genre melding... After reading peoples impressions, I went out and bought the game. This has turned into my 2009 Crackdown game (for shear unexepected joy found in the games play mechanic).

I was lucky to get the last of two the day it was released at Gamestop.

Unicorn

Can anyone post a video of gameplay on PC showcasing what is added with the implementation of PhysX?

Just curious how much better this game will look on PC once I get my gaming PC next year.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Major Williams said:
I'm honestly on the fence regarding this game. Looking for some advice to buy or not buy.

I love:

- Mass Effect
- Halo franchise proper
- Most FPS (i.e. CoD)
- Half-life story is pretty interesting (7.5/10

What I don't love:

- Gears of War (though 85% is because of the gore)
- WoW

Is it worth a purchase? The guy I play with a lot online is considering purchasing, and I'm not sure if I want to jump off the bridge too yet. Looking for some firsthand, on-the-playground type advice.

If you're single-player only, I don't think it's worth it. Narrative and characters are shallow, there's only a single plot track to get to the ending (you can play different characters, but this doesn't affect what side quests are offered to you - all four types play all the same quests) and the combat gets boring quickly (at least it did for me). If you like replaying games with multiple character builds and randomly generated loot games like Diablo, you will probably enjoy it.

Top Bottom