• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Borderlands the Pre-Sequel! |OT| GENDER EQUALITY!

Nokterian

I can say after destiny i want my loot shooter. I did enjoyed B2 but i stopped at one moment now i got this game for free and seeing that there trying to change it up is good. Also laser shotguns? Low gravity and butt slams with elemental damage? Double jumps and hidden places with freeze guns and what not and can play as Claptrap?

tumblr_m09plvItq51rqfhi2o1_400.gif

I also glad the 4 characters interact with each other because being silent in B2 just well sucked to be honest.

So far. I tried Wilhelm but something wasn't clicking. Fuck playing as claptrap. And Athena I just had no interest. But Nisha. Holy shit. Showdown is very nice! Sometimes it will lock on to the wrong thing but for the most part it's sweet. What's not sweet is this damn oxygen bs. Yes there are spots and tanks you can get but sometimes you don't want to have to even deal with it.

I wanted to check this out to see how it was and while I do like it I just don't see myself picking it up anytime soon. Something is rubbing me the wrong way and I can't pinpoint it.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
I seriously hope the weapons are rebalanced again since it always just turns out to be pretty much revolvers or sniper rifles...

Thats pretty much my only issue with Borderlands in general is how useless so much of the other weapon types are. D: Sure they are fun to mess with and look like, but for serious game progression they just dont really cut it.

Though there was the crazy SMG combo with the other Siren chick in BL2. Forgot what her name was.

I seriously hope the weapons are rebalanced again since it always just turns out to be pretty much revolvers or sniper rifles...

Thats pretty much my only issue with Borderlands in general is how useless so much of the other weapon types are. D: Sure they are fun to mess with and look like, but for serious game progression they just dont really cut it.

Though there was the crazy SMG combo with the other Siren chick in BL2. Forgot what her name was.

gunzerk unkempt harolds for dayyyyyyyyys

I think they are actually back in this game. They could down bosses in just a few seconds.

Parakeetman

I think they are actually back in this game. They could down bosses in just a few seconds.

Salvador was pretty damned amusing with that skill of his. But you know what Im talking about. At least the rocket launchers in 2 were not as worthless as they were in the first game. But for the most part never felt any reason to use a lot of the other weapons just due to they cant compare to the type of damage output you can get from sniper rilfes or certain revolvers for standard pewpewing.

Salvador was pretty damned amusing with that skill of his. But you know what Im talking about. At least the rocket launchers in 2 were not as worthless as they were in the first game. But for the most part never felt any reason to use a lot of the other weapons just due to they cant compare to the type of damage output you can get from sniper rilfes or certain revolvers for standard pewpewing.

Sal would completely destroy with money shot. I am very pleased that claptrap has a skill that is pretty much an exact copy of moneyshot...and there is a chance he can gunzerk

Parakeetman

Sal would completely destroy with money shot. I am very pleased that claptrap has a skill that is pretty much an exact copy of moneyshot...and there is a chance he can gunzerk

Claptrap most def seems like the character to pick if you want to go roll with friends. I plan on having 2 characters 1 for SP and Claptrap for co-op.

Yado

Which character/class has these pet robots? I've been looking for something that's very similar to the Commando of BL 2 :)

Wilhelm.

I was going to go with Athena first but Gaige was my main in Bl2 so I'm gonna go with Wilhelm and try to recreate some of the magic I had with Gaige & DT.

Mistel

Banned
But for the most part never felt any reason to use a lot of the other weapons just due to they cant compare to the type of damage output you can get from sniper rilfes or certain revolvers for standard pewpewing.
It depended on your build or what class you were playing as to what would be the best damage output it also depends on weapon parts as well.

An anarchy Gaige with a slagga would be a better choice than a skullsmasher would be for example.

v4skunk84

Banned
It depended on your build or what class you were playing as to what would be the best damage output it also depends on weapon parts as well.

An anarchy Gaige with a slagga would be a better choice than a skullsmasher would be for example.

Yes exactly. It depends on what class and skills you are using as to which are the best weapons. For instance you wouldn't want to be using accurate, corrosive or fire weapons with Gaige, instead you would want fast firing,fast reloading electric weapons, like Thunderball fist and Florentine.

GamerSoul

I envy you guys who actually knoww the guns in this game. I didn't start learning thm until my uvhm run.

Nisha's center tree's capstone basically gives her a digistruct copy of the pistol she's using sooo I can imagine how powerful she will be.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Alright, fuck it, I want this game. Where's the cheapest, easiest place to buy this on PC?

Cheapest would be Nuuvem (about $35), but if you don't want to use a proxy/VPN to add the game to your cart then, as already mentioned above, your best bet is GMG ($48).

Octavia

Unconfirmed Member
Weird question, but anyone have any idea from any of the interviews or footage if there's going to be some equivalent to Sanctuary? A hub town we can go and gear up and prepare between major missions? I found that to be absolutely vital in BL2's pacing when playing with people. Gives you time to talk with friends about stuff and set up your build while taking a break.

I envy you guys who actually knoww the guns in this game. I didn't start learning thm until my uvhm run.
Don't. Once you start recognizing patterns in all the gun generation it seriously takes the wonder and fun out of the game.

With that, I'm hoping they change up how guns behave in this one regarding their most significant part. I REALLY don't want to see a carbon copy of Borderlands 2 weapon set with like 3 new weapon types just added on.

Love me some Borderlands but I think I'm going to wait and see if they release a XBOX1/PS4 version. I have more than enough games to tide me over until then.

sk3tch

With that, I'm hoping they change up how guns behave in this one regarding their most significant part. I REALLY don't want to see a carbon copy of Borderlands 2 weapon set with like 3 new weapon types just added on.

Because it's 360/PS3/PC (like last time) I'm worried we're going to get just some new stuff and skins versus anything extremely evolutionary. However, that's been the name of the game, really...since even BL1. Still love it, though.

BigDug13

It wasn't nearly that limited as you say. There were plenty of useless weapons to be sure, mostly because the manufacturer quirks weren't good for everything.

Take Bandit for instance. It's quirk was that it held lots of bullets in the magazine but then would be mediocre at everything else. The problem in BL2 was the scarcity of ammo. That was in direct opposition to any advantage that Bandit guns had. Bandit guns are meant to spray bullets for days but you don't want that. Ever. Because of ammo issues.

Another manufacturer that sucked for me was DAHL. It's quirk was every gun would burst fire while ADS. Well the gunplay in Borderlands isn't very good and those guns just sucked in general. Especially the sniper rifle which you'd never want as a burst fire while ADS.

Jacobs pistols were cool but many of their assault rifles would have way too much recoil to be useful. In fact outside of Torgue, assault rifles in general sucked ass.

Torgue was great all around. I pretty much loved every one of those gun styles.

Hyperion was great for shotguns because it made the shots tighter, but it sucked for every other gun because the camera would jump around for the first few shots of a magazine because of the manufacturer quirk.

Ultimately the manufactuer quirks made lots of guns useless and so IMO it was a failed experiment. I felt like there were more gun types that could roll stats to be viable in BL1.

GamerSoul

Weird question, but anyone have any idea from any of the interviews or footage if there's going to be some equivalent to Sanctuary? A hub town we can go and gear up and prepare between major missions? I found that to be absolutely vital in BL2's pacing when playing with people. Gives you time to talk with friends about stuff and set up your build while taking a break.

Don't. Once you start recognizing patterns in all the gun generation it seriously takes the wonder and fun out of the game.

Yep the Sanctuary equivalent is called Concordia (not a 100% on the
spelling). Some videos have gave us a preview look around it.

And alright ill keep that in mind. I doubt ill have time to learn all of them at this point.lol if the effect how the grinder works then ill put a little more time into it, I guess.

I always go for the all-around soldier or warrior, so I'm pretty predictable. Then again, the deployable turret in Borderlands 1 was a phenomenal perk for doing so.

This game is going to be a hell of a lot better than Destiny.

BigDug13

I always go for the all-around soldier or warrior, so I'm pretty predictable. Then again, the deployable turret in Borderlands 1 was a phenomenal perk for doing so.

This game is going to be a hell of a lot better than Destiny.

To be fair to Destiny, this is the third game in a franchise vs the first game in a franchise. Best comparison would be to compare Destiny with BL1. I agree that this game will be better than Destiny, but shouldn't it be by its third installment?

Mistel

Banned
Yes exactly. It depends on what class and skills you are using as to which are the best weapons. For instance you wouldn't want to be using accurate, corrosive or fire weapons with Gaige, instead you would want fast firing,fast reloading electric weapons, like Thunderball fist and Florentine.
My anarchy Gaige was mostly bandit gear with the odd bit of valdof and maliwan here and there.
Take Bandit for instance. It's quirk was that it held lots of bullets in the magazine but then would be mediocre at everything else. The problem in BL2 was the scarcity of ammo. That was in direct opposition to any advantage that Bandit guns had. Bandit guns are meant to spray bullets for days but you don't want that. Ever. Because of ammo issues.
Bandit weapons at higher rarities were pretty strong weapons especially the SMGs in comparison to their peers, ammo might be a problem early on with them until you can increase the amount you're carrying. E-tech was a worse offender on the ammo consumption front that most bandit weapons sans choppa.

BigDug13

My anarchy Gaige was mostly bandit gear with the odd bit of valdof and maliwan here and there.

Bandit weapons at higher rarities were pretty strong weapons especially the SMGs in comparison to their peers, ammo might be a problem early on with them until you can increase the amount you're carrying. E-tech was a worse offender on the ammo consumption front that most bandit weapons sans choppa.

Every weapon at higher rarity were pretty strong weapons. If you lined up purples assault rifles of every corporation, bandit would probably be my last pick. Now this was before they did a gun balance patch more recently that targeted Bandit. But in the game's release, bandit weapons simply were not very good.

Bandit SMG's can be pretty good depending on what stats they rolled with and what elemental they have. SMG's in general were very strong in both BF games. I just found myself using Bandit guns the least of all manufacturers with DAHL being pretty equally unused. Didn't like either manufacturer.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
I hope the humour is a bit toned down in this compared to BL2 or at least, well, actually funny. I thought BL1 was pitched perfectly and I liked all the characters in that but BL2 just wasn't that funny for a lot of the time for me. Still, fun games to play though.

Drazgul

^ Judging by the trailers alone, TPS will be more in vein of BL2 than the first one. I don't mind the humor tbh, but I don't get much out of it either.

And as far as weapons go, I hope they'll last more than a few levels this time around, BL2 was pretty brutal with how quickly even legendaries got outclassed by higher level but lower-tier weapons. Finding a legendary is badass, and should make you feel like a badass for longer than just a while.

Played a demo at an event yesterday and I got stuck in a hole, luckily I could use my super grenade jumping skills to escape in the end:)
I also figured out which build im gonna use for my first character but that could always change when I'm playing the game. http://thepresequel.com/Athena/5505101050150051515001010000000000
Speaking of skill tree changes, wasn't there a skill in Athena's Phalanx tree that made her Aspis shield bigger? It could also be that my memory is failing me but I really remember a skill that made the angle of her shield bigger or something.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
^ Judging by the trailers alone, TPS will be more in vein of BL2 than the first one. I don't mind the humor tbh, but I don't get much out of it either.

And as far as weapons go, I hope they'll last more than a few levels this time around, BL2 was pretty brutal with how quickly even legendaries got outclassed by higher level but lower-tier weapons. Finding a legendary is badass, and should make you feel like a badass for longer than just a while.

The only thing that actively annoyed me in BL2 was Tiny Tina, not a fan. Like yourself I don't hate the humour it's just not that funny for me.

I'm going to guess that the elemental effects have been toned down in this again as well. I want my 'head turning into a skull and popping effect after shocking an enemy' back :(

BigDug13

Truth! And it looks fairly large from the gameplay videos. We'll know for sure soon. :D

Wat? I didn't know about this...

I just looked at their flyer on their website for BL Day. It seems it was just trying to get people into the store to preorder the presequel for $60. Their incentives was sale prices on stuff like BL2 GOTY and prima strategy guides.

Mistel

Banned
Every weapon at higher rarity were pretty strong weapons. If you lined up purples assault rifles of every corporation, bandit would probably be my last pick. Now this was before they did a gun balance patch more recently that targeted Bandit. But in the game's release, bandit weapons simply were not very good.

Bandit SMG's can be pretty good depending on what stats they rolled with and what elemental they have. SMG's in general were very strong in both BF games. I just found myself using Bandit guns the least of all manufacturers with DAHL being pretty equally unused. Didn't like either manufacturer.
The non elemental bandit SMGs with the right parts were proper bruisers not as much as a anarchy from the first but still pretty decent. Assualt rifles I never really dabbled much with other than the bandit or vladof really dahl never appealed too much with the burst fire mechanic.

Personally hyperion was the manufacturer I used the least out of all the manufacturers.

GamerSoul

Played a demo at an event yesterday and I got stuck in a hole, luckily I could use my super grenade jumping skills to escape in the end:)
I also figured out which build im gonna use for my first character but that could always change when I'm playing the game. http://thepresequel.com/Athena/5505101050150051515001010000000000
Speaking of skill tree changes, wasn't there a skill in Athena's Phalanx tree that made her Aspis shield bigger? It could also be that my memory is failing me but I really remember a skill that made the angle of her shield bigger or something.

Yea I remember hearing a skill was removed from the Phalanx tree from the initial pax demo on the gbox forums. Gbox/2k were probably still tweaking things at that point. That skill might have been too powerful. Lol

I just looked at their flyer on their website for BL Day. It seems it was just trying to get people into the store to preorder the presequel for $60. Their incentives was sale prices on stuff like BL2 GOTY and prima strategy guides.

Oh ok, I didn't miss much. Thanks.

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
Are they going to do the Badass points again? I really hate those. I miss the weapon EXP of the first game.

I actually think the game should have both the badass ranks and weapon exp, make your BAR a bonus that applies to all your characters and bring weapon exp back to "train" individual characters.

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
Yup, badass points are back, I wish we had weapon EXP too.
Bah. They wouldn't be so bad if they were more effective. So underwhelming.

I'd have liked weapon based skills that all classes can learn based on high proficiency.

Personally hyperion was the manufacturer I used the least out of all the manufacturers.

While Hyperion sucked for sniper rifles (though not as much as Dahl... I hate Dahl so much), their SMGs were god like. Especially during fight for your life.

I spread my weapon use a lot depending on the situation. I generally had my sniper rifle in hand, but I could switch over to SMG for charging enemies, or shotguns for animals running around, and a rocket launcher for big ass armored enemies I just don't wanna deal with.

My favorite company is Jacobs, though. I liked them so much, I wear their Jacob Family skin for solidarity.

Whaaaaat? Badass points was an awesome innovation. Actually made those silly grinding "achievement"-like into something worthwhile in-game.

Maybe if it actually meant something. The rewards are too small and have nothing to do with your actions. They don't reflect your play style. You can't focus on stats you want because stuff you don't want to raise will just keep taking up the list. It's kinda silly to pretend you actually have a choice. So they might as well have just raised each of those stats X amount each level. It'd result in the exact same thing.

Top Bottom