• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Borderlands the Pre-Sequel! |OT| GENDER EQUALITY!

Labrys

How is loot being handled; is it still 1 for everyone to fight over? Lord knows how many times me and my boyfriend fought over a cool sniper in BL2.

SerTapTap

How is loot being handled; is it still 1 for everyone to fight over? Lord knows how many times me and my boyfriend fought over a cool sniper in BL2.

Picking different specialties is a MUST if you're doing a lot of playtime with the same people. I never "fought" over loot with my main crew because elemental guns went to me (maya), snipers went to nick (zero) and shotguns and stuff went to ian (salvadore). After a few hours we all knew what the other would like and would point out loot to each other.

I do kind of hope BL3 takes some TINY tweaks from Destiny like maybe separate loot for everyone, but I'd rather fight over Borderlands loot than have free reign over Destiny loot anyway...

Labrys

Picking different specialties is a MUST if you're doing a lot of playtime with the same people. I never "fought" over loot with my main crew because elemental guns went to me (maya), snipers went to nick (zero) and shotguns and stuff went to ian (salvadore). After a few hours we all knew what the other would like and would point out loot to each other.

I do kind of hope BL3 takes some TINY tweaks from Destiny like maybe separate loot for everyone, but I'd rather fight over Borderlands loot than have free reign over Destiny loot anyway...

Well I would attempt to specialize but there'd always be something really powerful that we'd both want. I let him take all rocket launchers at any rate and I tended to get the SMGs but it was always the sniper rifles...

IDK who he's planning on playing as in pre sequel so hopefully we'll be able to coordinate better.

SerTapTap

Well I would attempt to specialize but there'd always be something really powerful that we'd both want. I let him take all rocket launchers at any rate and I tended to get the SMGs but it was always the sniper rifles...

IDK who he's planning on playing as in pre sequel so hopefully we'll be able to coordinate better.

Snipers are a problem since most classes can do with a good sniper, but luckily I just took all the elemental snipers and our Zero took the non-elemental ones. IT helps at lot to have at least one elemental and one non-elemental or explosive focused person on the team, that way the loot splitting can be very easy sometimes.

Mistel

Banned
While Hyperion sucked for sniper rifles (though not as much as Dahl... I hate Dahl so much), their SMGs were god like. Especially during fight for your life.
Other than a bitch which had the recoil reduction kick in pretty much instantly I felt that hyperion SMGs wasted most of their ammo to reach their max accuracy than actually doing damage. Dahl SMGs I found could get consistent crits with the bursts which is beneficial playing as zero as it suits their skills.

cHinzo

It wasn't nearly that limited as you say. There were plenty of useless weapons to be sure, mostly because the manufacturer quirks weren't good for everything.

Take Bandit for instance. It's quirk was that it held lots of bullets in the magazine but then would be mediocre at everything else. The problem in BL2 was the scarcity of ammo. That was in direct opposition to any advantage that Bandit guns had. Bandit guns are meant to spray bullets for days but you don't want that. Ever. Because of ammo issues.

Another manufacturer that sucked for me was DAHL. It's quirk was every gun would burst fire while ADS. Well the gunplay in Borderlands isn't very good and those guns just sucked in general. Especially the sniper rifle which you'd never want as a burst fire while ADS.

Jacobs pistols were cool but many of their assault rifles would have way too much recoil to be useful. In fact outside of Torgue, assault rifles in general sucked ass.

Torgue was great all around. I pretty much loved every one of those gun styles.

Hyperion was great for shotguns because it made the shots tighter, but it sucked for every other gun because the camera would jump around for the first few shots of a magazine because of the manufacturer quirk.

Ultimately the manufactuer quirks made lots of guns useless and so IMO it was a failed experiment. I felt like there were more gun types that could roll stats to be viable in BL1.

I really mis S&S Munitions, which was my favorite manufacturer in Borderlands 1 and had the best weapons. The Crux shotgun and the Glorious Massacre light machine guns were really awesome.

I hate how some manufacturers in Borderlands 2 don't make specific weapons, like Maliwan doesn't make shotguns anymore, Torgue doesn't have sniper rifles, there are no Dahl shotguns... It really sucks.

To be fair to Destiny, this is the third game in a franchise vs the first game in a franchise. Best comparison would be to compare Destiny with BL1. I agree that this game will be better than Destiny, but shouldn't it be by its third installment?

That's fair

In my opinion, Borderlands 1 was a masterpiece and was a lot better than Destiny.

Tabby

That's fair

In my opinion, Borderlands 1 was a masterpiece and was a lot better than Destiny.

One thing Destiny has over BL1 is the environments.
Holy moly BL1 was so dull to look at, 20 hours of nothing but sand and desert.
I wish there was more game play of pre-makeover BL1.

I can agree with you on that too. Destiny just didn't do anything for me while I was addicted to BL1.

I enjoyed Destiny, but it didn't blow me away. It's a decent game, but not a great one.

Borderlands, on the other hand, had me from the start and is a personal favourite. I lost a lot of hours to that game, and it's one of the only times where I've enjoyed playing co-op and having to wait on a friend, as opposed to just going it alone.

disappointed that this was not Borderlands 3 ..but this game is very tempting right now to buy and pre-load ;_; freakin hell ...it's just that as much i added a lot of people on steam back in the summer sale thread just a while ago

i kinda just need teammates to play with on steam ;_; and mic ;_;

also the season pass ;_; fuckkkkkkk

sk3tch

It's kind of sad how little hype there is for this game. It seems both Borderlands and Borderlands 2 had TONS of more hype...this thread regularly falls like 3-4 pages from the front, ha. Is everyone just tired of the "same old formula" (which this title most certainly will deliver) or is there just too much out there to play?

bodine1231

It's kind of sad how little hype there is for this game. It seems both Borderlands and Borderlands 2 had TONS of more hype...this thread regularly falls like 3-4 pages from the front, ha. Is everyone just tired of the "same old formula" (which this title most certainly will deliver) or is there just too much out there to play?

I mean,I'll play it, but this is the last one using this same art style and humor. The next game needs to look completely different as well as have a different tone than the previous games. I guess thats the bad thing about having so much DLC is that people do tend to play longer but the chances of burnout on the next game is really high.

Celcius

°Temp. member

Now that we're in the 11th hour so to speak, I'm still on the fence. I really enjoyed Borderlands 1 & 2, bought all the DLC expansions, and put in tons of hours...but with the whole multiple playthrough thing, I'm just not sure if I feel like doing it all over again. A single playthrough would be one thing, but just playing through once and stopping would be no fun (I like to get to max level, do post-game stuff, etc...)

Now that we're in the 11th hour so to speak, I'm still on the fence. I really enjoyed Borderlands 1 & 2, bought all the DLC expansions, and put in tons of hours...but with the whole multiple playthrough thing, I'm just not sure if I feel like doing it all over again. A single playthrough would be one thing, but just playing through once and stopping would be no fun (I like to get to max level, do post-game stuff, etc...)

Have you looked into new game pluses for this game? They are completely different than before. They are even narrated by different characters. I think it will keep multiple playthroughs fresh

sk3tch

Have you looked into new game pluses for this game? They are completely different than before. They are even narrated by different characters. I think it will keep multiple playthroughs fresh

I just hope the intro is more palatable than 2...made doing replays/re-rolls so painful ugh.

BigDug13

I'm excited. Problem this game has is that it's not available on PS4 and XBO or 3DS or Vita. This forum right now is pretty dedicated to games on those platforms right now. Especially PS4/XBO.

I'm getting this on PC myself.

And it's not like this forum was blowing up about BL2 prerelease either.

sk3tch

I'm excited. Problem this game has is that it's not available on PS4 and XBO or 3DS or Vita. This forum right now is pretty dedicated to games on those platforms right now. Especially PS4/XBO.

I'm getting this on PC myself.

Yeah, yet another reason why this release seems sketchy...like they are just doing the bare minimum to get it out. Not even bothering to port to XB1/PS4...real strange. Real "safe."

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
oh shit theres a pet class? that alone makes me want to play it >_<

cHinzo

oh shit theres a pet class? that alone makes me want to play it >_<

Join #TeamWilhelm. :D I do hope the surveyor's damage is significant though and not only to draw aggro like in the tougher difficulty modes in Borderlands 2 (although having an aggro drawing slag turret in BL2 was pretty useful, but it got destroyed pretty quickly, because of the exponential damage scaling of the mobs and its health didn't scale that well).

garath

I loved b1 and b2. With a passion.

This game just seems like such a cash in though. It offers very little new. The characters are kind of dull IMO and the whole prequal thing turns me off a bit. I always prefer stories to move forward instead of backward.

It just doesn't seem to offer enough of a new experience to me to justify a day 1 purchase like the old games. Its kind of a borderlands 2.5. Should have been priced accordingly.

This game just seems like such a cash in though. It offers very little new. The characters are kind of dull IMO and the whole prequal thing turns me off a bit. I always prefer stories to move forward instead of backward.

It just doesn't seem to offer enough of a new experience to me to justify a day 1 purchase like the old games. Its kind of a borderlands 2.5. Should have been priced accordingly.

It's also last-gen only (for those of us that don't play on PC), and isn't made by Gearbox themselves. These and the reasons you mentioned are why I'm not really interested in the game. I didn't even realize it was coming out soon until I saw the OT pop up.

geordiemp

It would be different if it were releasing on Ps4 / Xb1. For console players its a bit much to have to dust off the old console.

It will probably come in 3-6 months anyway.

GamerSoul

I think it's a combination of a lot of things including Destiny launching first, there not being a next gen version yet, and like you said there is a lot of games to play.

It's a little strange lol but ehh I'm hyped and ready.

The1Ski

My personal hype is low for the simple fact that, to me, it doesn't look like a whole new game. BL2 had a lot of different environments and TPS looks like just one: the moon.

To me it looks like a big ass DLC. Doesn't mean I won't get it if the impressions are good. Just not super-hyped.

BigDug13

What new mechanics did BL2 bring to the table from BL1 besides story? This game has double jump, jet packs, Titan slams, freeze weapons, laser weapons, and boasts more content than BL1. I just don't see how you can say the game is lacking in content when compared to any other Borderlands game.

Esch

Banned
Can't escape the 'Expansion pack' feeling about it.

SerTapTap

Are they going to do the Badass points again? I really hate those. I miss the weapon EXP of the first game.

Weapon XP was an AWFUL idea, I'm sorry. What it really does is strongly punish you late game when you try to use guns you rarely used before. You don't even notice the level up effects on guns you do use, but when it's playthrough 2.5 and your pistol level is still 3 you can basically just never use a pistol again because it functions like shit. Badass rank is a far superior system.

What new mechanics did BL2 bring to the table from BL1 besides story? This game has double jump, jet packs, Titan slams, freeze weapons, laser weapons, and boasts more content than BL1. I just don't see how you can say the game is lacking in content when compared to any other Borderlands game.

Weapon personality is HUGE, and Slag is a pretty significant change. E-tech weapons were far more useful than eridian weapons, but still, hilariously, usually less effective than a normal-ass gun. The plasma casters were great though.

GamerSoul

^I swear my first slag plasma caster fell from the heavens and got me through a lot in uvhm. Lol I love that gun.

I honestly don't get it either. I mean if this game seemed lacking in content I would have to say so but so far it's looking good. Imo the grinder alone adds a whole new dynamic to how we use the loot we find.

REV 09

I'm probably in on pc as long as the reviews are solid. I loved BL2. Got a new GTX 970 on the way, so i'll need a new game to try it out.

BigDug13

Weapon XP was an AWFUL idea, I'm sorry. What it really does is strongly punish you late game when you try to use guns you rarely used before. You don't even notice the level up effects on guns you do use, but when it's playthrough 2.5 and your pistol level is still 3 you can basically just never use a pistol again because it functions like shit. Badass rank is a far superior system.

Weapon personality is HUGE, and Slag is a pretty significant change. E-tech weapons were far more useful than eridian weapons, but still, hilariously, usually less effective than a normal-ass gun. The plasma casters were great though.

Slag and e-tech, sure, and this game adds freeze and laser. Plus the other stuff I mentioned. To call this game with 4 new classes, more zones and content than BL1, and mechanics never before seen in a Borderlands game like jet packs. I just don't see how this is "just an expansion".

When I first heard about this game, I felt the same way that it was just a glorified expansion. But once I realized how many features this game was going to have, I quickly realized that this was a full retail Borderlands game worth of content.

aro52

Any chance this works with a DualShock 4, plugged into a PS3...?

I just can't go back to the DualShock 3, but I don't know if I can hold out for the eventual PS4 port.

So, will we have a B:TPS reveiw thread or we will just post them here? I think that in a few hours embargo goes up.

I'll post some in here tomorrow when I can. I don't know of there's really enough interest to warrant a review thread.

Sorry I haven't updated the OP as much as I'd like. Midterms and all that right now.

I don't know if it's been mentioned yet, but the game releases in South Korea in 14 hours if you know what I'm saying.

Lucky. I'm not sure if the game will be available this tuesday or friday in my country. Could be 17th since that's the international date, but here they release games before sometimes... god, the wait is killing me!! I hope is this Tuesday!

JoRo

If this were coming out for PS4, I'd be all over it. I adore the BL series, but I know there will be a GOTY edition with everything. And who knows, it may come out to PS4 one day. Holding off on Diablo 3 on PS3 worked great for me since I got the ultimate ps4 version. But that's just me. I still hope this game sells well, and if I had more money to burn, I'd get it. But Samurai Warriors 4, Senran Kagura, and Lords of the Fallen are my priorities for the end of this month. Keeping my fingers crossed for a PS4 version, though.

nubbe

THE OST IN BL2 IS AWESOME

Tr7J1vJ.jpg

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.

I think Destiny coming out before this definitely sucked the wind out of this game (they're similar imo). While I'm excited, there's so much shit coming out tuesday wednesday that juggling between them is going to be fun.

Top Bottom