• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Borderlands the Pre-Sequel! |OT| GENDER EQUALITY!

nubbe

I think Destiny coming out before this definitely sucked the wind out of this game (they're similar imo). While I'm excited, there's so much shit coming out tuesday wednesday that juggling between them is going to be fun.

I think it was good...
now people can see the difference between over produced pretentious garbage
and a game

It's kind of sad how little hype there is for this game. It seems both Borderlands and Borderlands 2 had TONS of more hype...this thread regularly falls like 3-4 pages from the front, ha. Is everyone just tired of the "same old formula" (which this title most certainly will deliver) or is there just too much out there to play?
Probably no hype because it's only last gen consoles.

Blu(e)

Whoa there's 2 Female character right out the gate?
That's so cool.

GENDER EQUALITY!

Athena looks to be the only class I'm interested in but I'm worried how well it will do against bosses. Kinda like how Maya skill was great for mobs but was immune on almost all the later and bigger bosses.

Edit: After looking at that character overview, I think it's as good as I thought it might be. Does anyone know if there are only 2 enemies in an area that the shield will bounce between them both until it reaches the maximum amount of bounces or until on of them die?

Octavia

Unconfirmed Member
Can't escape the 'Expansion pack' feeling about it.

I guess it depends on your tolerance for it. Considering it's basically just the BL2 game code with the story/map/enemy data stripped out and replaced with different stuff, adding in a few new features and guns, it's hard to see it as more than an expansion.

It does feel like a cash in, but for someone like me who loves the series, I'm fine with it. I'm okay with getting something new while we wait for the next game. Now $60 for it? No thanks. The MSRP should be $45 at most. I wouldn't have also minded waiting another 6 months if that meant a lot more guns/content.

Chris R

Is Live still needed to input SHIFT codes on the 360? Not buying the game right now, but I'll grab it from Redbox for a few nights this week.

impostor jack sounds like a pretty lame concept for a dlc character...

Perhaps a lame concept for a character,
but the idea of the actual "Doppelganger" character class sounds pretty neat. I imagine the gameplay would revolve around disguising yourself as enemy mooks, and perhaps gaining enemy abilities.

Not sure if the above needed to be spoiler tagged, but there you go.

thenexus6

I think Destiny coming out before this definitely sucked the wind out of this game (they're similar imo). While I'm excited, there's so much shit coming out tuesday wednesday that juggling between them is going to be fun.

I disagree, I think Destiny coming out first will help this game. Destiny comes out and is a letdown for many people. So many people that have "retired" the xbox 360 and ps3 gen might dip back to get their loot on.

I disagree, I think Destiny coming out first will help this game. Destiny comes out and is a letdown for many people. So many people that have "retired" the xbox 360 and ps3 gen might dip back to get their loot on.

Yeah the disappointment with Destiny made me want this rather than wait for a current gen port. but most of the guys i played BL1 and BL2 with have sold the ps3 so cant play with them which sucks.

GameFront - 90/100

Pros:

• It’s more Borderlands!
  • More guns, with new variations
  • All four new Vault Hunters are fun — even Claptrap
  • New oxygen mechanic adds exploration and navigation options
  • Low-gravity on the moon is perfectly executed
  • Added personality for Vault Hunters makes characters more enjoyable
  • Jack’s backstory makes the Borderlands 2 character much more interesting as well
  • Caters to fans of the series; if you like Borderlands 2, you’ll probably like this

Cons:
  • Caters to fans of the series; if you don’t like Borderlands 2, you’ll probably dislike this
  • Random loot generation can result in some fairly long lulls in new gear, if you’re unlucky
  • Cryo movement bug can be very annoying if encountered

If the game is as enjoyable as Borderlands 2 was, I don't mind if it is 'more of the same'. I have put in 72 hours into BL2, and I'm probably going to put at least 40 hours into this one. So it will be worth the money, easily.

Wizman23

Banned

Not being on the XB1 and PS4 sucked the majority of wind out of this game. Would a dumb business decision made by Gearbox.

I just hopped in to see some review scores. Personally, I hate the series. I'm sure once you and three friends reach the middle of the campaign and you all have great gear that some fun can be had but the constant flood of DLC is DISGUSTING and I refuse to support a series that releases half of it's content on disc and a whole wealth of game content in the future for a bigger price because it's fun when we nail other series for doing this exact thing.

It isn't acceptable.

Wizman23

Banned
I just hopped in to see some review scores. Personally, I hate the series. I'm sure once you and three friends reach the middle of the campaign and you all have great gear that some fun can be had but the constant flood of DLC is DISGUSTING and I refuse to support a series that releases half of it's content on disc and a whole wealth of game content in the future for a bigger price because it's fun when we nail other series for doing this exact thing.

It isn't acceptable.

Huh? BL2 vanilla had a TON of content. The DLC was just the cherry on top. Each DLC was packed with content too and worth the money if you were a fan of the game.

PaulloDEC

It isn't acceptable.

I dunno man, vanilla Borderlands 2 is not a small game, and certainly it never felt to me like any of the content was missing, much less half of it.

dugdug

Banned
I refuse to support a series that releases half of it's content on disc and a whole wealth of game content in the future for a bigger price because it's fun when we nail other series for doing this exact thing.

It isn't acceptable.

This could be, quite literally, the last game you could make that complaint about. There is seriously hundreds of hours of content in both Borderlands games (don't know about the new one). The DLCs add a few more, but, to pretend like the main disc is only half of the game is kind of silly.

I mean, yeah, they've been aggressive with DLC, but, I never felt slighted with either of the previous Borderlands games.

h3ro

It isn't acceptable.

What? Borderlands has been one of the few games where the DLC actually is worth it! The base game in B1 and B2 was plenty long and the DLC campaigns added were fleshed out full experiences. Plus, the DLC was always going on sale.

This series definitely has handled the DLC add-ons well. You can debate the worth of the costume and battle arena stuff but not the story based stuff added post launch.

Paertan

Lé Blade Runner;134123234 said:
If the game is as enjoyable as Borderlands 2 was, I don't mind if it is 'more of the same'. I have put in 72 hours into BL2, and I'm probably going to put at least 40 hours into this one. So it will be worth the money, easily.

I put 80 hours into BL2. In the first two weeks. I have probably passed 200 hours with all DLC

But not feeling the hype for this. Waiting until I hear what regular folk say about it.

sam777

For me more of the same is great with Borderlands as I loved the first 2. Only gripe is that the game is not on PS4 and Xbox One.

clockpunk

If only they would hurry up and annoucne the inevitable next gen port.

I *really* want to play this - especially after finding Destiny so disappointing, loot-wise - but want it on the hardware I'll still own in a couple of years' time, and which my friends have all moved permenantly on to.

BigDug13

Why does everyone always forget about pc -_- BL2 ran great on my laptop 2 years ago, looking forward to playing it again. Mouse and keyboard is great for this game too.

Because it's a game series designed around consoles. I play it on PC as well but let's be real. The control scheme and especially the UI are all console-centric and consoles are where the series sees the most sales. It's also the only platform that natively allows split screen multiplayer where on PC each player needs their own PC.

U2NUMB

Reviews have confirmed for me that I am going to wait for a sale. I am sure the game has fun but I am just not ready to throw 60 bucks at 2K for what seems like a big expansion.

Borderlands games drop in price fairly quickly so I will pick it up at that point. I am still very interested in hearing from those of you here to pick it up.

Because it's a game series designed around consoles. I play it on PC as well but let's be real. The control scheme and especially the UI are all console-centric and consoles are where the series sees the most sales. It's also the only platform that natively allows split screen multiplayer where on PC each player needs their own PC.

I played like 150-200 or so hours of BL2 on the PC. The mouse and keyboard control scheme is more or less a PC FPS (read: better aiming and more responsive) and the inventory UI wasn't really any more annoying than it would be if I was playing with a gamepad. I do concede the splitscreen but IMO if you are going to play a co-op loot game on consoles Diablo III:UEE is the place to be.

Reviews basically are saying more of the same.I'm cool with that. I just want to play Borderlands without having to play through the same campaign I've already played over and over. I actually welcome a shorter playthrough than BL2, as I thought that game was a bit too long for a loot game designed to be played through multiple times.

SerTapTap

are any discount codes for PC still working?

I couldn't get GMG or Gamestop to work, didn't bother with 2 gamer, DLGamer wanted a verified paypal account and fuck that.

Yeah the disappointment with Destiny made me want this rather than wait for a current gen port. but most of the guys i played BL1 and BL2 with have sold the ps3 so cant play with them which sucks.

Yup, same here. Still have a ghost edition of Destiny I need to sell. No "last gen" here though, I'll be getting on PC.

maouvin

Codes for those who bought the game at nuuvem are up.

Despite being a SA/BR key, can I use an US VPN to unlock it tomorrow?

cHinzo

It isn't acceptable.

What a joke. Yes, they released tons of DLC, but it didn't get cut out of the vanilla game just to put it in the DLC like some other games. Borderlands 2 had tons of content and the DLC were like stand-alone campaigns. Exactly how DLC should be gone.

nubbe

BL2 has the best DLC, all the content that matters was included in the season pass
and the DLC in the season pass was really great

especially Tiny Tina's Assault, it was worth the price of the pass alone

the other DLC is bullshit that don't matter

SerTapTap

Okay, Gametap's offer is still valid! Only saved $7 but whatever.

I have to wonder if anyone bitching about Borderlands "excessive" DLC has actually played Borderlands. Neither BL1 or BL2 feel like anything was "cut out" for DLC, there has always been plenty of game in the base game.

Corpekata

Banned
I don't think the DLC in the games is that great but it always felt to me like one of the few games that were actually designed as post game stuff. They don't neatly slot into the world or plot, often being weird experiments or post plot content. So I can see qualms with the quality of the DLC itself, but the idea that they are cut content doesn't jive.

It isn't acceptable.

No I think you're wrong. The game that cut content to make you pay for it after the release, and even is still on the disc is Destiny. Borderlands must be one of the few examples of how to make DLC with a fair relation of price and content. The game alone gave me like 100 hours, each dlc was between 4 to 10 hours (singles playthrough of each DLC). Even those headhunters were like 1 dollar and gave at least an hour. 5 of those made the entire campaign of other games.

The skins DLC don't matter, they're on lots of games.

-----------------------------------------------------

Jim Sterling's Review on The Escapist - 4/5

Looks like the consensus is that this game is one for the fans only. If you like Borderlands, you'll love this one as much as you loved BL1 and 2. That's enough for me, can't wait!

Dazzyman

Me and the wife have played BL 1 and 2 for hundreds of hours and are more exited about this than any game at moment. Destiny was disappointing as was Mordor. I want more borderlands, I want more of the same from Borderlands it's what makes it Borderlands ffs. I'm sick of idiot reviewers that don't have a clue and put games down for being more of the same while praising NHL FIFA and COD. And this game is designed for coop stop bitching you can't be revived in a review unless you play with someone.

It is the best coop game out there and one of the best post launch supported DLC games going. The stuff wasn't on the disc already either, it's no Capcom!

That and the exact 8/10 score is all I ever really expected/wanted out of it. It's not Borderlands 3 but I think I'll be quite happy with what it is.

I'm the same way basically...as long as the game was equal to the other BL games (which going by reviews it is) then I'm happy

Shit, I figured I would wait until this game was on the cheap down the road as my massive BL2 binge had me satiated on the BL gameplay for a few years. However, the fun is drying up really quickly with Destiny and I really could use some levity again. The pathetically self-serious DeeJ community updates make me miss the BL crew so much. That launch trailer may have sold it to me.

That and the exact 8/10 score is all I ever really expected/wanted out of it. It's not Borderlands 3 but I think I'll be quite happy with what it is.

I'm on the same page. It's a little underwhelming the low Metacritic score, but whatever, the "is not less than any other Borderlands and you'll get the same fun" is what matters.

Top Bottom