• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Boruto |OT| Naruto Next Generations

brinstar

I hope it's a fast arc that's resolved fairly quickly. They have a chance to turn a new leaf on Naruto and leave the old show behind and they decide to carry over the bad dudes from the last battle.

The bad dudes in the last battle were introduced specifically as hooks for the Boruto series.

Ravelle

Okay, well then.

In that case I hope they do some interesting things with them, they look like your average Dragonball Z villains wanting to blow up earth as of now.

sarada's about to bring the quality of the entire show up if they adapt the gaiden properly

Boruto to finally get decent ratings :eek:

Mitsuki is such a boring character. He's a more boring version of Sai.

At least Sai had a unique skill and intriguing story at the time.

You're comparing an actual decent character:

ac9cefb6bff915de5ac7a7e5e881ab3e--sai-naruto-swag.jpg

To a literally hollow shell that is Mitsuki:

Mitsuki.jpg

I hope it's a fast arc that's resolved fairly quickly. They have a chance to turn a new leaf on Naruto and leave the old show behind and they decide to carry over the bad dudes from the last battle.

Hahahaha, if only Ikemoto/SP had some creative talent. Too bad they based the entirety of the plot on the Otsutsuki's.

Okay, well then.

In that case I hope they do some interesting things with them, they look like your average Dragonball Z villains wanting to blow up earth as of now.

Thats because they are. There's nothing deep there.

The bad dudes in the last battle were introduced specifically as hooks for the Boruto series.

This is actually incorrect. Kishi introduced them for Boruto the movie, but that plot was resolved in said movie. The scroll noted of only Momo and Kin and Sasuke's mission ended as they both were killed.

Ikemoto/SP retconned the ending, had one of them live and just chuck Boruto some power up. 10/10 story writing there. I laugh everytime I remember, back in the days were the Naruto fandom was excited about a new series, people saying Ikemoto/SP could write better than Kishi hahaha

Todays episode was fun for a side think, definitely like seeing Denki and Iwabe together both for shipping but also for adding life to the academy and seeing more of Boruto and his friends together. Probably the only thing I will fault pt1 naruto for.

rambis

Banned
Wait, are we acting like Kishi didn't make it a literal habit to retcon the things in his series?
Also, writing in Boruto is miles better than Naruto. For once this series has gotten an actual introductory arc.

Proof is in the pudding. Boruto volume numbers are 70% down and still declining. Anime has never broken the top ten and the repeat episodes had them all below 1%. The recent Boruto novel opened at 6k, while the Naruto ones usually opened 10 times that.

It takes a special kind of someone to actually consider the writing in the Boruto anime to be better or even on par than the start of Naruto (Wave arc, Chunin exam, Sannin etc) or even Shippuuden (Rescue Gaara, Sasuke search, Akatsuki hunt).

Not only is characterisation shallow but the only new concept Ikemoto/SP have come up with is an arm tatoo....oh wait thats pretty similar to a curse mark. Shallow and derivative.

rambis

Banned
Its crazy how a certain someone returning marks the return of inaccurate info.

Source: Mantan Web (https://mantan-web.jp/article/20170713dog00m200017000c.html)
Top 10 in June:
1. Boruto
2. Gintama
3. Detective Conan
4. Rurouni Kenshin: Meiji Kenkaku Romantan
5. Anpanman
6. My Hero Academia
7. Eromanga Sensei
8. Akashic Records of Bastard Magic Instructor
9. Kingdom
10. The Laughing Salesman

Monday, June 26, 2017 - Sunday 2 July 2017
1 Doraemon (6/30) TV Asahi 100.0
2 Crayon Shin-chan (June 30) TV Asahi 62.3
3 Soreike! Anpanman (6/30) Nitere 61.7
4 Dragon Ball Super (Super) (7/2) Fuji TV 50.6
5 Yokai Watch (6/30) TV Tokyo 44.0
6 Pocket Monsters Sun & Moon (6/29) TV Tokyo 42.9
7 One Piece (7/2) Fuji TV 40.2
8 Kamen Rider Exe (7/2) TV Asahi 34.3
9 BORUTO - Volt - NARUTO NEXT GENERATIONS (6/28) TV TOKYO 25.8
10 Curious George (7/1) NHKE TEL 25.4

Boruto in its third month was the top anime in June and top ten in a market where Naruto Shippuden hardly ever charted. This is despite losing shippudens time slot after Pokemon which helped its views tremendously. Even in this thread most people are saying this series is better thus far. For many, jumping into Zabuza and the Chunnin arc was a huge misstep. And shippudens opening was garbage beyond the pale. This soft open for Boruto is alot better at actually building the world instead of just showing us the world as Naruto often does.
But as somebody said, proof is in the pudding...

This arc isn't even direcrly comparable to the beginning arcs in Naruto. Boruto starts off better for me because it's focusing on aspects that Naruto didn't and something I always thought I needed it to.

rambis

Banned
This arc isn't even direcrly comparable to the beginning arcs in Naruto. Boruto starts off better for me because it's focusing on aspects that Naruto didn't and something I always thought I needed it to.
This is a really common sentiment. The ability to actually watch characters form bonds instead of just telling us "hey these two are close" makes it 10x as enjoyable for me.

Also I cant believe I missed someone compare Sai favorably to Mitsuki. Mitsuki in his one shot and anime debut has been fleshed out further than Sai has in the whole of shippuden. There is litterally nothing to Sai outside of his brother and even that only lasted 1 arc...

Its crazy how a certain someone returning marks the return of inaccurate info.

Source: Mantan Web (https://mantan-web.jp/article/20170713dog00m200017000c.html)
Top 10 in June:
1. Boruto
2. Gintama
3. Detective Conan
4. Rurouni Kenshin: Meiji Kenkaku Romantan
5. Anpanman
6. My Hero Academia
7. Eromanga Sensei
8. Akashic Records of Bastard Magic Instructor
9. Kingdom
10. The Laughing Salesman

Monday, June 26, 2017 - Sunday 2 July 2017
1 Doraemon (6/30) TV Asahi 100.0
2 Crayon Shin-chan (June 30) TV Asahi 62.3
3 Soreike! Anpanman (6/30) Nitere 61.7
4 Dragon Ball Super (Super) (7/2) Fuji TV 50.6
5 Yokai Watch (6/30) TV Tokyo 44.0
6 Pocket Monsters Sun & Moon (6/29) TV Tokyo 42.9
7 One Piece (7/2) Fuji TV 40.2
8 Kamen Rider Exe (7/2) TV Asahi 34.3
9 BORUTO - Volt - NARUTO NEXT GENERATIONS (6/28) TV TOKYO 25.8
10 Curious George (7/1) NHKE TEL 25.4

Boruto in its third month was the top anime in June and top ten in a market where Naruto Shippuden hardly ever charted. This is despite losing shippudens time slot after Pokemon which helped its views tremendously. Even in this thread most people are saying this series is better thus far. For many, jumping into Zabuza and the Chunnin arc was a huge misstep. And shippudens opening was garbage beyond the pale. This soft open for Boruto is alot better at actually building the world instead of just showing us the world as Naruto often does.
But as somebody said, proof is in the pudding...

The need for Boruto fans to spin is hilarious and fun at the same time to witness. You don't quite to seem to understand the very data you are quoting.

1) Was from Hulu Japan.
2) Isn't even the a comparable rating to Naruto

Please use the usual top ten ratings that list the top ten anime in Japan weekly that we've been using for over a decade. I think we all know why that isn't used though lol

Yet it sacrifices meaningful development and an actual story, things far more important.

rambis

Banned
The need for Boruto fans to spin is hilarious and fun at the same time to witness. You don't quite to seem to understand the very data you are quoting.

1) Was from Hulu Japan.
2) Isn't even the a comparable rating to Naruto

Please use the usual top ten ratings that list the top ten anime in Japan weekly that we've been using for over a decade. I think we all know why that isn't used though lol
What spin lol? How do you spin number 1 lol? I know where the numbers are from. The second set of numbers is the same top ten Kanto region numbers that everyone uses...

Yet it sacrifices meaningful development and an actual story, things far more important.

Its obviously a prequel to the movie, we know what the actual story looks like. And there's been far more "meaningful" development in this one academy arc then we got out of most any of the genin missions of part 1.

What spin lol? How do you spin number 1 lol? I know where the numbers are from. The second set of numbers is the same top ten Kanto region numbers that everyone uses...

By not mentioning where they are from. Its hardly a noteworthy statistic, especially when compared to Naruto. Or did you forget that Naruto has been the number 1 streamed anime for years during its run.

Those are not weekly. If you can find a similar data set for Naruto Shippuden then you could make a point.

Its obviously a prequel to the movie, we know what the actual story looks like. And there's been far more "meaningful" development in this one academy arc then we got out of most any of the genin missions of part 1.

A poor excuse, especially when the anime has such bad consistency with the movie.

Boruto doing gentle first, some random eye power, multiple clones and yet does none of this and flops during the Chunin exam arc in the movie.

Filler characters given spotlight, whilst being absent in the movie.

Sasuke returning before Gaiden.

Your words are meaningless without any explanation.

I disagree.

Go on, if you wish to. Has there been any over arching storyline with the characters? Has there been any fundamental change or lesson that we will see them implement in the future?

rambis

Banned
Those are not weekly. If you can find a similar data set for Naruto Shippuden then you could make a point.
Monday, June 26, 2017 - Sunday 2 July 2017 "Not weekly" ok.....

By not mentioning where they are from. Its hardly a noteworthy statistic, especially when compared to Naruto. Or did you forget that Naruto has been the number 1 streamed anime for years during its run

I posted the source....

A poor excuse, especially when the anime has such bad consistency with the movie.

Boruto doing gentle first, some random eye power, multiple clones and yet does none of this and flops during the Chunin exam arc in the movie.

Filler characters given spotlight, whilst being absent in the movie.

Sasuke returning before Gaiden.

Your words are meaningless without any explanation.

Go on, if you wish to. Has there been any over arching storyline with the characters? Has there been any fundamental change or lesson that we will see them implement in the future?

Lol who said the anime has to 1:1 match the movie? Kishi's manga chapters don't even match the older chapters lmfao. Obviously there was going to be changes if the story was continuing from there. The vast majority of the community guessed Boruto was using gentle fist in the movie, its hardly surprising and he doesn't do much more than what he showed in the movie. And Kishi confirmed ages ago that Boruto was supposed to have dojutsu. Bleh..

We're one arc in. I think this sets the groundwork when it comes to the bonds and friendship stuff better than Naruto did, and I wish we had gotten this kind of thing for Naruto when it first started. Seeing the academy days is a very welcome thing for me, and this set up a good amount of context with many of these characters and their situations.

And It's not "at the sacrifice" of anything. This is an element of Boruto that Naruto didn't really have much of, it's literally just an addition, and all the other pillars that made early Naruto good can still come to Boruto later. You act as if the existence of this arc somehow replaces, or will stop other things from coming when you say "sacrifice" .

We're one arc in. I think this sets the groundwork when it comes to the bonds and friendship stuff better than Naruto did, and I wish we had gotten this kind of thing for Naruto when it first started. Seeing the academy days is a very welcome thing for me, and this set up a good amount of context with many of these characters and their situations.

And It's not "at the sacrifice" of anything. This is an element of Boruto that Naruto didn't really have much of, it's literally just an addition, and all the other pillars that made early Naruto good can still come to Boruto later. You act as if the existence of this arc somehow replaces, or will stop other things from coming when you say "sacrifice" .

Naruto and Sasuke getting to the top of tree together is more meaningful to the characters than anything Boruto has showed within its teams or relationships. Sakura crying while reciting the shinobi rules to not cry, or Kakashi passing his team in the bell test is more notable to future themes than anything Boruto has set. Has Boruto as a series even set out a notable theme?

No, but this arc is a massive downgrade for many fans of the original series and with the movie recap and next arc in the manga.....it certainly does not bode well.

Monday, June 26, 2017 - Sunday 2 July 2017 "Not weekly" ok.....

Such large numbers made me question it. Like I said, if you could find Naruto on a similar rating system then you would have a point to discuss.

I posted the source....

Should of just mentioned its a Hulu ranking.

Lol who said the anime has to 1:1 match the movie? Kishi's manga chapters don't even match the older chapters lmfao. Obviously there was going to be changes if the story was continuing from there. The vast majority of the community guessed Boruto was using gentle fist in the movie, its hardly surprising and he doesn't do much more than what he showed in the movie. And Kishi confirmed ages ago that Boruto was supposed to have dojutsu. Bleh..

Not only are those Kishi chapters years apart but are also handled in a far better way. SP showing poor continuation from day 1 in a relatively short time and in numerous plot points at the same time.

Kishi never did in his written work. He certainly opened up the idea with Himawari getting the Byakugan.

Naruto and Sasuke getting to the top of tree together is more meaningful to the characters than anything Boruto has showed within its teams or relationships. Sakura crying while reciting the shinobi rules to not cry, or Kakashi passing his team in the bell test is more notable to future themes than anything Boruto has set. Has Boruto as a series even set out a notable theme?

But we can still have these moments, we haven't even gotten to squad stuff yet. This offers a whole new groundwork that Naruto didn't offer, which is why I don't think this arc is directly comparable to anything in Naruto. It's just an addition that provides things the Naruto lacked, while giving their own characters meaningful context and development.

rambis

Banned

No, but this arc is a massive downgrade for many fans of the original series and with the movie recap and next arc in the manga.....it certainly does not bode well.

Such large numbers made me question it. Like I said, if you could find Naruto on a similar rating system then you would have a point to discuss.

Should of just mentioned its a Hulu ranking.

Not only are those Kishi chapters years apart but are also handled in a far better way. SP showing poor continuation from day 1 in a relatively short time and in numerous plot points at the same time.

Kishi never did in his written work. He certainly opened up the idea with Himawari getting the Byakugan.

LMAO so you excuse Kishi-sama's retcons. That's so richhhh lol.

What?

To this day I still wonder when did those two become friends. The fact that whenever in the manga Naruto had an episode of angst because of Sasuke's actions made me (and many others) role our eyes is a testament of how poor Kishi handled their "friendship". Kishi did retcon many things whenever he wanted, for example to make their "friendship" look stronger, Kishi added that flashback of Naruto and Sasuke when they were kids looking at each other in the distance as if they understood each other before they graduated.

Khezu

Look I can understand having issues with Boruto, that's fine.

But please, don't try and say Kishi is anything other then complete garbage at writing.

Part 1 Naruto was good in spite of itself and the writing, and part 2 was a complete dumpster fire outside of a few ok arcs.

rambis

Banned
I don't think part 1 or 2 were terrible by any means. I just don't think either made Kishi out to be some great story teller and much of the hype around him is questionable. I don't fully blame Kishi for his mis-queues, it was obvious at some point that he lost full control of the series. You can look back to early interviews of him complaining about content guidelines he would have to follow.

. Are you gonna write the battle of each member of Hebi?

Kishi : Actually I didn't want to. But Shueisha ordered me to do with something about them.

All in all I like Kishi for the world he created, not necessarily the plot.

What?

To this day I still wonder when did those two become friends. The fact that whenever in the manga Naruto had an episode of angst because of Sasuke's actions made me (and many others) role our eyes is a testament of how poor Kishi handled their "friendship". Kishi did retcon many things whenever he wanted, for example to make their "friendship" look stronger, Kishi added that flashback of Naruto and Sasuke when they were kids looking at each other in the distance as if they understood each other before they graduated.

Firstly that isn't a retcon and secondly that minor scene was nothing but a nod to future events....not something that established their relationship.

But we can still have these moments, we haven't even gotten to squad stuff yet. This offers a whole new groundwork that Naruto didn't offer, which is why I don't think this arc is directly comparable to anything in Naruto. It's just an addition that provides things the Naruto lacked, while giving their own characters meaningful context and development.

Like what? Seriously. Tell me some meaningful event between characters that will chnage how both will act in the future.

lol at the Boruto anime being ranked high

Mantis lol

lol not by any relevant metric, even more so when compared to the heights of the Naruto franchise.

rambis

Banned
"Retcon"
in a film, television series, or other fictional work) a piece of new information that imposes a different interpretation on previously described events, typically used to facilitate a dramatic plot shift or account for an inconsistency

Yeah, about 90% of Sasuke/Naruto's relationship was a retcon. And the Uchiha backstory while were at it. And Naruto origin story. And the whole Ashura/Indra thing. And well I think the point is clear.

I really would love to see these "heights" that Naruto saw cause it certainly limped to the finish. And is already surpassed by what Boruto is getting...

Like what? Seriously. Tell me some meaningful event between characters that will chnage how both will act in the future.

What do you mean? I'm taking this as a start of a new series, not as something that is supposed to 100% tie in with the manga, because I think there will be changes/additions/fleshing out when they go into those parts anyway, especially with the movie.

I hardly remember anything that happens in any of the other Boruto stuff, so I'm just judging this as "the start of Boruto"

It is like how Ginatama started slowly but then due to actually knowing about the characters and knowing their personalities it makes it matter more when things turn to a more serious tone.

We are only 16 episodes in.

LotusHD

Banned
All I know is that Boruto is a sequel to a series that nearly destroyed all the goodwill I had for it, and yet...

I'm back, because it's taking things slow, which is fine. Just enjoying the ride before it inevitably goes full DBZ lol

All I know is that Boruto is a sequel to a series that nearly destroyed all the goodwill I had for it, and yet...

I'm back, because it's taking things slow, which is fine. Just enjoying the ride before it inevitably goes full DBZ lol

Yeah I ultimately think it is not going to end up all that interesting unless for some reason I start caring about the moon people, and that village flash forward was pretty meh to me.

Yeah I ultimately think it is not going to end up all that interesting unless for some reason I start caring about the moon people, and that village flash forward was pretty meh to me.
If they build up the moon people or even go out of their way to introduce more aliens and worlds, even making some good guys and some neutral and adding some characteristics beyond being evil/bad to them, instead of just being elite warriors that want chakra with no other character pallet, then maybe we might get somewhere.

ghstwrld

i agree tbh; bolto is dry for the most part

only here for queen

Naruto's generation wasn't written by SP. Thats the answer. Anyone familiar with Naruto fillers should know how SP can't recognise power levels and character techniques to save their life.

What do you mean? I'm taking this as a start of a new series, not as something that is supposed to 100% tie in with the manga, because I think there will be changes/additions/fleshing out when they go into those parts anyway, especially with the movie.

I hardly remember anything that happens in any of the other Boruto stuff, so I'm just judging this as "the start of Boruto"

And there we go lol

Marow

I've been following this thread for quite a while now and I just need to ask something.

What's your deal, Mantis?

It's like you're obsessed and cannot stop talking about this. People call you out all the time, yet you continue on and on without avail. You repeat arguments (SP this, SP that) and spin further and further to a point wehere it becomes unclear whether you have an actual argument or just want to spew dislike.

Like, why are you doing this It's fine if you want to criticize, but it's growing increadibly tiresome seeing you ruin what could otherwise be a fun thread.

I apologize for bringing this up, but it's so boring to see.

-------------

As for Boruto, I gotta catch up with the two latest episodes! Really enjoying the show and it brought back a fan that started zoning out of Naruto during Part II (though I still followed the manga half-heartedly).

Top Bottom