• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Box office: I am Legend $75+ million, Chipmunks...$40 million?!?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Absinthe said:
He's an awful actor that picks safe roles, but the public practically fellates him because he used to rap and he was on a silly, popular show at one point. His filmography is laughable. I understand why people like him, but I sure as hell don't care for any of his films.

You make it sound simpler and easier than it really is, there are plenty of people in the music industry and on tv that don't hit it that big in movies, and certainly rarely do you hit it as big as Will Smith so consecutively rapper/tv show or not.

He didn't pick the safe roles, he picked the right roles, especially stranger since he's one of the biggest genre actors with his filmography, with films listed like ID4 (sci-fic action), Wild Wild West (sci-fi western), MIB1/2 (comedy sci-fi), I, Robot (sci-fi action), and now I am Legend(sci-fi horror).

Just wait until Will Smith finally gets round to directing the remake of The Karate Kid staring his own son *shudder* and a rumoured Stephen Chow (Shaolin Soccer, Kung Fu Hustle) as Mr Miyagi. That will Inevitably sell tons.

broadwayrock said:
Just wait until Will Smith finally gets round to directing the remake of The Karate Kid staring his own son *shudder* and a rumoured Stephen Chow (Shaolin Soccer, Kung Fu Hustle) as Mr Miyagi. That will Inevitably sell tons.

Sold!

broadwayrock said:
Are you kidding me? That sounds awesome.

mollipen

PhoenixDark said:
It's not like I hate him but his sci-fi blockbusters almost always suck, and he's always the same guy in every one, ie the stereotypical angry black guy unwilling to conform to white authority figures. Then he finds some white chick, preferably a scientist, who constantly uses big words thus forcing Smith to constantly ask her to repeat them in layman's terms

I totally agree with you. Why does it seem like he's in that exact situation in so many of his sci-fi blockbusters? You know, like I Robot, and... uhm.... I Robot... and... hold on...

jman2050

broadwayrock said:

Stephen Chow as Mr Miyagi would be the greatest cast decision ever made.

I want to see it happen :(

JdFoX187

Banned
You know, I went and saw both Garfield movies at the theater because he's one of my favorite characters. I grew up watching Garfield and Friends and would get up early every morning to get the Sunday paper to read the Garfield comics. But, for the life of me, I cannot understand how Garfield or Alvin and the Chipmunks can be popular in modern cinema. They have their place, but in the theaters, they're just completely bastardized.

Stephen Chow recently said when asked about the remake:

I'm very fond of 'The Karate Kid' and would love to join in the remake project, no matter as a producer, director or actor.

But it depends on my schedule. As you know, next year I will work on two movies, 'Dragon Ball' and 'Journey to the West'

http://www.newkerala.com/one.php?action=fullnews&id=2182

The film has not been written yet and with the WGA strike on, it could be a while for it to get to the production stage.

krypt0nian said:
Seems love it or hate it.
I saw it last night and read the short novella. I liked the movie for what it was, but it only borrowed ideas from the novella and wasn't a direct adaptation of the story written.

DMczaf

Guzim said:

6p8p6c7.gif

DMczaf

Guzim said:
Will Smith taught Jordan all his moves.

I hear the 92 USA Basketball committee saw this tape and replaced Isiah with Christian Laettner. They wanted Will Smith, but he was too busy filming Made in America.

shidoshi said:
I totally agree with you. Why does it seem like he's in that exact situation in so many of his sci-fi blockbusters? You know, like I Robot, and... uhm.... I Robot... and... hold on...

Independence Day.

Except the science chick in that one is Jeff Goldblum. Which only makes it better.

VPhys

demon said:
Just because ashley grew up to be really hot doesn't make her the best character.

oh, you mean carlton. Agreed.

Nicely played.

jman2050 said:
Wait, people dislike ID4? I didn't think that was possible unless you were one of those uptight film snobs.

Oh wait, this is GAF... nvm

Gotta agree. ID4 was a very entertaining movie.

harSon

Banned
Anasui Kishibe said:
wow, shocking news here. Two shit movies get big money at USA box office

MAN, where is the world going

For fucks sake, do elitist movie critics flock to this board for refuge?

Innotech

Banned
Ive pretty much learned not to take film critics seriously.
I was recently shown two films: Dragonfly, and NAtional Treasure, both of which I enjoyed immensely and felt were very well designed and directed films. I expected to read some glowing reviews for both films, only to see them completely panned as if they were some low budget action flick. These are just a couple examples though, as this bullshit film elitism is really widespread (and on GAF especially). I dont really understand it. I mean, I can understand that some movies are absolute garbage, but Dragonfly and National Treasure are good enough to watch over and over. And now a reasonably well done film like I am legend gets panned by critics but loved by audiences. I guess that pretty much makes them irrelevant right?

Gantz

Banned
jman2050 said:
Wait, people dislike ID4? I didn't think that was possible unless you were one of those uptight film snobs.

It was awful just like Transformers.

If Will Smith can get nominated for an oscar so should Ice Cube :lol

Innotech said:
Ive pretty much learned not to take film critics seriously.
I was recently shown two films: Dragonfly, and NAtional Treasure, both of which I enjoyed immensely and felt were very well designed and directed films. I expected to read some glowing reviews for both films, only to see them completely panned as if they were some low budget action flick. These are just a couple examples though, as this bullshit film elitism is really widespread (and on GAF especially). I dont really understand it. I mean, I can understand that some movies are absolute garbage, but Dragonfly and National Treasure are good enough to watch over and over. And now a reasonably well done film like I am legend gets panned by critics but loved by audiences. I guess that pretty much makes them irrelevant right?

well, no. I consider NT a pile of shit

to answer your question. are you saying a movie must be good because it's been a box office success? Not really. It doesn't mean shit, actually. Legions of people watched Transformers, and the movie was a immense turd.
But neither basing your opinion on what a critic says about a movie is completely right. Critics can be wrong, and after all, it's just their opinion

see, it all comes to personal preferences..you can enjoy NT and nothing wrong with it, I can dislike NT and nothing wrong with it

harSon

Banned
Gantz said:

Yeah, they are totally on the same level of acting!!1!111

Anasui Kishibe said:
well, no. I consider NT a pile of shit

to answer your question. are you saying a movie must be good because it's been a box office success? Not really. It doesn't mean shit, actually. Legions of people watched Transformers, and the movie was a immense turd.
But neither basing your opinion on what a critic says about a movie is completely right. Critics can be wrong, and after all, it's just their opinion

see, it all comes to personal preferences..you can enjoy NT and nothing wrong with it, I can dislike NT and nothing wrong with it

You guys are pretty fucking annoying. How about you widen your scale of movie reviewing passed oscar nominee and pile of shit? There are descriptive words such as decent, average, mediocre, so-so, etc. This "LOL PILE OF SHIT" stuff needs to go, it's quite irritating.

jman2050

It's only annoying when they imply that people who like those actors/movies have 'low standards', which pretty much describes 99.9% of all the film snobs on these forums.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Absinthe said:
He's an awful actor that picks safe roles, but the public practically fellates him because he used to rap and he was on a silly, popular show at one point. His filmography is laughable. I understand why people like him, but I sure as hell don't care for any of his films.

Yeah man, that Ali was sure a safe role, eh?

He's really not an awful actor. I thought this was proven already. He's a GOOD actor, not great. But he picks awesome movies and he has a REALLY likable personality. He himself said this in an interview I saw a couple weeks ago: that he thinks he's only above average in talent but makes up for it with work ethic.

His filmography is laughable? Really? Men in Black, ID4, Hitch, The Pursuit of Happyness, Ali, Enemy of the State, the original Bad Boys if you wanna go a little more back. Those are all generally really enjoyed by people and most of them have great reviews. So I mean, you can not LIKE his movies (any of them? seriously?) but to say his filmography is laughable is just wrong.

Gantz said:

Wow, they're both black rappers.

Look at you, being all intelligent.

harSon said:
Yeah, they are totally on the same level of acting!!1!111

You guys are pretty fucking annoying. How about you widen your scale of movie reviewing passed oscar nominee and pile of shit? There are descriptive words such as decent, average, mediocre, so-so, etc. This "LOL PILE OF SHIT" stuff needs to go, it's quite irritating.

But in my opinion Transformers isn't mediocre or average or so-so. Spiderman 3 is mediocre, Transformers is a fucking awful and terrible movie, and so is NT. I didn't LOL, but when I loathe a certain film I don't really feel to talk much about it.

It does sound limited, I concede, but hey it's a general forum not Les Cahiers Du Cinema

Insertia

jman2050 said:

hehehehe

Exactly. Before GAF I had no idea ID4 was shit. :lol :lol

In all reality GAF has shit taste in movies and ID4 is an awesome entertaining sci-fi/action flick.

Insertia said:
hehehehe

Exactly. Before GAF I had no idea ID4 was shit. :lol :lol

In all reality GAF has shit taste in movies and ID4 is an awesome entertaining sci-fi/action flick.
My 10th grade English teacher said ID4 was a horrible movie on every level.

TheQueen'sOwn

insert blank space here
I feel sorry for people who can't enjoy movies like I, Robot, Men in Black, ID4, Hitch, The Pursuit of Happyness, Ali, Enemy of the State, etc....

harSon

Banned
As a watcher of pretty much anything I can find at a video shop, I can show you what a real 'shit' movie is.

TheQueen'sOwn said:
I feel sorry for people who can't enjoy movies like I, Robot, Men in Black, ID4, Hitch, The Pursuit of Happyness, Ali, Enemy of the State, etc....

I Robot was damn fun, and so MIB 1 to a certain extent

shidoshi said:

MIB1, MIB2, Wild West, I Robot...

jman2050

CajoleJuice said:

My 10th grade English teacher was a damn idiot, so I don't see know how I should interpret that comment :lol

demon said:
He's entertaining and has charisma. And he's a decent actor. Beyond that, I don't get it either.

yep....and i'm sorry but he was greatly miscast in this film.....then again, that was one of MANY of the films problems =(

jman2050 said:
My 10th grade English teacher was a damn idiot, so I don't see know how I should interpret that comment :lol
I was just providing an example of someone outside of GAF hating ID4.

I love the movie and watch it almost every time I see it on television. :lol

CajoleJuice said:

She was right. I think every character should have worn a placard around their neck in that movie describing their stereotypical character.

woodchuck

i wouldn't consider myself a will smith fan (meaning i go watch a movie because he's in it), but i enjoy many of his movies.

MIB
ID4
Enemy of the State
Bad Boys I and II
Ali

MIB 2 sucked a lot, but he wasn't the reason it sucked. And on the flip side, I think Smith made many of those movies enjoyable (especially Bad Boys, Ali, and Enemy of the State)

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
kIdMuScLe said:
im suprised chipmunks is making tons of money. i was suprised- shocked - actually when i went in friday morning to work when my co-worker left a note that we are getting an extra print of Alvin and the chipmunks movie. i was "wtf?! another one? damn we got 4 alvins and how the fuck did that happen?" oh well.

It is a movie parents can take their kids to. Of course it is going to do well. Last night when I went to see 'I Am Legend', I saw a ton of parents with their kids to see Alvin. Nothing wrong with that.

Fun Factor

Formerly FTWer
Absinthe said:

whatever, these 4 movies are more than enough to justify his stardom:

Six Degrees of Separation
Men in Black
Enemy of the State
Ali

All great great flicks

ZeoVGM

Banned
PhoenixDark said:
MIB1, MIB2, Wild West, I Robot...

Well, let's not get ahead of ourselves here.

I'm pretty sure even Smith thinks that sucks, much like Jim Carey apologized for The Cable Guy. heh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom