• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Box office: I am Legend $75+ million, Chipmunks...$40 million?!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SyNapSe

MiamiWesker said:
, he had that one scene in this movie that was impressive.

TOTALLY AGREE. uhh,

I thought Will was fine outside of the fairly awkward breakdown scene's which were just poorly created, IMO. Most of them just didn't come off right, except when he was interacting with the lady/boy.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Absinthe said:
Yes, I think that's a valid comparison. They're both money at the box office, but I like to think that Denzel picks better roles. Both of them basically play themselves in the movies they star in, however.
To be honest with it, Denzel allot of the time works out of the same box with the vast majority of his roles. And then people hype it up to some godly performance always. Hes still one of the best actors out there. Except allot of people look past for some reason I really do not know. But at the same time...He does it better then everyone else:lol I am not saying he is not a back actor at all. He is a great one lol. He kind of reminds me allot on Al Pacino to speak. Which is good and bad.

But like take Will Smith, people really lean into him on almost every role he does. Like trying to make it out like he is a bad actor or something. Oh I Robot Sucked!!! Will Smith is a ****y actor. Its like, the movie sucks yea, but not so much on the last part. Its like I saw him in Ali, pretty dam good, Pursuit, I thought he was great in it. Its like people hold Fresh Prince against him or something:lol

AND THE IMPORTANT PART....What the heck do they mean by Warner Bros Movies in trouble!!! I do not like this. I mean don't have Harry Potter? isn't that like 500mil worldwide for every movie or something:lol

Absinthe said:
Yes, I think that's a valid comparison. They're both money at the box office, but I like to think that Denzel picks better roles. Both of them basically play themselves in the movies they star in, however.
besides johnny depp, who else actor really goes out their way and dive into a role?

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
topsyturvy said:
besides johnny depp, who else actor really goes out their way and dive into a role?

THE MASTER
tn2_daniel_day_lewis_4.jpg

The only problem with him is, Hes not in allot of movies. But goddam, He is marvelous in everyone i saw:lol

Edit: Smaller Pic

mr jones

Ethnicity is not a race!
Man what the hell is up with the Will Smith hate?

As for I Am Legend, I pretty much stopped liking the flick after Sam. When Will huddled up with Sam on the floor, and had to do what he had to do, my girlfriend started crying, and after that, the movie became a rather obnoxious semi action flick with television quality CG and an ending that makes you say WTF.

Which I think is why I liked the first part of the movie so much. Will Smith is in a very hostile, solitary environment where his only companions are his dog, his memories, and a few manniquins in a store. The viewer is only given a hint of what he's trying to avoid, and what Will has to do to survive, and that made the first part enjoyable.

The second half threw all that away. The director/editor didn't explain well enough why Will had such problems dealing with people, or his feelings about religion and spirituality, or his inability to actually notice how the "infected" were reacting to him. The woman and the boy felt tacked on , The CG actually looked like it got worse as the movie progressed, and the ending was so fucked that they made the ultimate cop out by ACTUALLY EXPLAINING WHAT HAPPENED AT THE END BEFORE THE CREDITS ROLLED. That is simply bad film making, and was a big disappointment considering that the first part of the movie had so much promise.

A mediocre movie. I wouldn't watch it again.

master15

Will Smith was in Hitch, and Hitch has proved to be an absolute clincher when it comes to the ladies and me so for that I have to thank him. However largely don't care for his stuff (Men in Black 2, I Robot) but Enemy of the State was pretty good from memory.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
omg rite said:
Well, let's not get ahead of ourselves here.

I'm pretty sure even Smith thinks that sucks, much like Jim Carey apologized for The Cable Guy. heh.

Anyone talking shit about the Cable Guy should be kicked in the balls.

PhoenixDark said:
People LOVE Will Smith. He comes off as a regular guy to many people, they think he's hilarious, etc; in other words he's safe

It's not like I hate him but his sci-fi blockbusters almost always suck, and he's always the same guy in every one, ie the stereotypical angry black guy unwilling to conform to white authority figures. Then he finds some white chick, preferably a scientist, who constantly uses big words thus forcing Smith to constantly ask her to repeat them in layman's terms

example...

White chick: Oh no, he activated the fusion shield at 50% potency!
Will Smith: What you say guuurl?
White chick: We're screwed!
Will Smith: Let's get out of here, let me drive!

smh
Will Smith = everyday black man
Denzel Washington = angry black man
Samuel L. Jackson = black black man

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Calcaneus said:
People love Will Smith because he banged Nia Long, Tyra Banks and Karon Parsons.

Fixed :)

Ripclawe

Banned
http://www.deadlinehollywooddaily.com/

Will Smith Can Now Say 'I Am Legend': $77M For Best December Debut Ever! 'Chipmunks' Open To Cheeky $44M Wkd

1. 1. I Am Legend/Warner Bros $30.2M Fri, $29M Sat (est. cume $77.4M)
2. 2. Alvin And The Chipmunks/Fox $13.3M Fri, $19 Sat ($44.7M)
3. 3. The Golden Compass/New Line $2.6M Fri, $3.7 Sat ($40.5M)
4. 4. Enchanted/Disney $1.6M Fri, $2.4M Sat ($91.7M)
5. 5. No Country For Old Men/Miramax $849K Fri, $1.1M Sat ($33.3M)
6. 6. This Christmas/Sony $755K Fri, $985K Sat ($46M)
7. 7. Fred Claus/Warner Bros $701K Fri, $908K Sat ($68.7M)
8. 8. The Perfect Holiday/Yari $693K Fri, $1M Sat ($2.8M)
9. 9. Atonement/Focus $527K Fri, $772K Sat ($2.9M)
10. 10. August Rush/Warner Bros $602K Fri, $723K Sat ($28M)

We need more The Legend of Bagger Vance love in here
Awesome movie. Will Smith and Matt Damon need to do another team up. Buddy Cop flick perhaps? Will Smith as the jaded veteren. Matt Damon as the young rookie. It writes itself

HamPster PamPster said:
Awesome movie. Will Smith and Matt Damon need to do another team up. Buddy Cop flick perhaps? Will Smith as the jaded veteren. Matt Damon as the young rookie. It writes itself

No, Will Smith as a former criminal turned cop who doesn't like authority, and Damon as the wily vet. That writes itself

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
PhoenixDark said:
No, Will Smith as a former criminal turned cop who doesn't like authority, and Damon as the wily vet. That writes itself
Men in Black 3 ^_^

With Will Smith and Tom...Matt Damon

Oblivion said:
Didn't that movie with him and the Stealth Bomber bomb, tho?

you're thinking of Jamie Foxx.

Will Smith's worst performing movie was probably bagger vance (or six degrees, his first "real" movie) which as others have noted are both actually pretty good.

legend166

HamPster PamPster said:

Bagger Vance was awesome. Pretty good cast too, with Matt Damon, Will Smith and Charlize Theron. They weren't as big though.

I think I have a man crush on Matt Damon.

kbear

Upon entering this thread I was going to type up a scathing rant on elitist film snobs because I was sure GAF was filled to the brim with them but it's great to see so many people share the same views as I do.

Btw, did anyone NOT expect a screen name like 'Anasui Kishibe' to be one of an elitist film snob? :rollinmyeyes

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
wow awesome start for legend. Smith will eventually get an oscar, this movie further proved that. Too bad the direction they took it. Seriously I would give the movie an A+, until one scene
after losing his dog, Smith truly realizes he is now 100% alone(unbelievably depressing scene, incredibly acted), so he goes on a suicidal mission in revenge. However right before dying he is saved by some random girl
from that point on it only got worse and worse. Seriously the movie fell to shit from there.

kbear said:
Upon entering this thread I was going to type up a scathing rant on elitist film snobs because I was sure GAF was filled to the brim with them but it's great to see so many people share the same views as I do.

Btw, did anyone NOT expect a screen name like 'Anasui Kishibe' to be one of an elitist film snob? :rollinmyeyes

ooohhh, I was almost missing this one

I'm going to slap you in the cheek with a big TSK

Justin Bailey

------ ------
The movie was nothing to write home about. The beginning was kind of slow but it really grabbed me
when Sam ran into the house
. After that it was great until the
girl showed up
. Oh well.

And Will Smith rocks. He's an awesome actor.

Ripclawe

Banned
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/content_display/film/news/e3id192e882e824aebafc7888f9639cc29d

The holiday blockbuster season internationally grew more crowded and more robust over the weekend as "The Golden Compass" hung on to its No. 1 spot for the second consecutive frame while "I Am Legend," starring Will Smith, rolled up huge returns from a debut in just eight Asian markets.

Overall, the weekend was stronger than last year's comparable frame, a trend reflected in broader numbers.

According to a studio source, international boxoffice from January through November for the big six Hollywood studios -- Warners, Universal, 20th Century Fox, Disney, Paramount and Sony -- is tracking a full 16% ahead of 2006's comparable period. Even discounting the fall of the U.S. dollar against other world currencies, indications are that 2007 looms as a strong if not record boxoffice year for the majors overseas.

Spurred by a pre-opening publicity blitz with Smith touring key Asian territories, "Legend," which opened No. 1 domestically, tied for No. 2 on the weekend with an estimated $20 million gleaned from more than 1,300 screens. In Japan, the tally was an estimated $6.4 million from 426 locations for a per-screen average of $15,024.

The sci-fi horror outing released by Warner Bros. International drew $6.3 million from 267 situations in Korea, for an average of $23,596 per site. In Taiwan, the per-screen average was $19,200 thanks to a gross of $2.4 million from 125 prints. "Legend" also had lucrative bows in Thailand, India, Hong Kong, Malaysia and Indonesia.

Tied with "Legend" for the No. 2 spot on the weekend was DreamWorks/Paramount Pictures International's "Bee Movie," which also grossed $20 million. But that tally was drawn from 44 territories, half of them new. The biggest of the fresh territories were the U.K., which provided an estimated $4.4 million from 436 sites, and France, which chipped in $3 million from 646 screens. "Bee Movie's" overseas cume now stands at $58 million.

The international cume for New Line Cinema's "Compass" is $90 million thanks to an estimated second-weekend gross estimate of $29 million from about 6,900 prints working in 44 territories. The title, which finished third domestically, remained No. 1 in the U.K., drawing an estimated $6.3 million from 497 sites for a market cume of $25.2 million.

"Compass" opened on 450 screens in Italy and 700 in Mexico, drawing an estimated $2.3 million from each territory. It held No. 1 spots in Germany, where it grosses $3.3 million from 990 screens for a cume of $9.2 million, and Spain, grossing $3 million at 500 sites for a market cume of $11.5 million.

Disney's "Enchanted," which ranked No. 4 domestically on the weekend, finished No. 3 overseas with an estimated $16 million from 3,450 screens in 28 markets, lifting its cume to $54.9 million ($147.2 million globally) and thus snaring the No. 3 international ranking. The musical fantasy opened in seven new territories including the U.K., where it finished second to "Compass" in the market with an estimated $5.2 million from 457 situations.

20th Century Fox's "******," based on a video game, finished fourth with an estimated $7.4 million from 1,800 screens in 51 markets, raising its overseas cume to $35 million. WBI says its release of "Beowulf," the weekend's No. 5 title, has hit the $100 million mark overseas, thanks to an estimated $4.5 million on the weekend from 3,200 sites in 58 markets.

Universal International's "American Gangster" opened in Russia and the Ukraine and scored a weekend tally of $3.5 million from 1,764 locations in 21 territories, pushing the early overseas total to $52.5 million. The film has 34 markets yet to play.

DreamWorks/PPI's "The Heartbreak Kid" with Ben Stiller drew an estimated $3 million from 1,577 screens in 53 markets, for an overseas total of $84 million. WBI's Christmas-themed "Fred Claus" also grossed $3 million from 1,600 prints working in 26 markets, lifting the overseas cume to $18 million.

In France, Disney's acquisition of "Le Renard e l'enfant" (The Fox and the Child), produced by Bonne Pioche, drew an estimated $2.3 million from 320 screens, enough to rank this saga about a young girl's friendship with a fox No. 3 in the market. Meanwhile, Disney's "Ratatouille" has accumulated $409.5 million internationally and will in the coming week surpass "Spider-Man 2" as the 27th top overseas hit ever.

Joe Wright's "Atonement," which fielded seven Golden Globe nominations, raised its overseas cume to $32 million thanks to a $200,000 weekend at 220 screens in eight markets. UI is holding the bulk of the title's 35 territory openings until the end of the month or early next year.

UI opened "We Own the Night," a crime drama starring Joaquin Phoenix, Mark Wahlberg and Robert Duvall, in the U.K. for an estimated $910,000 from 265 locales. The distributor also opened Ang Lee's "Lust, Caution" in Spain for an estimated $480,000 from 126 situations.

Fox opened "The Simpsons Movie" in Japan for an estimated $69,000 from 66 screens. Its overseas cume, though, stands at $342.4 million. Fox's "Alvin and the Chipmunks" opened at 298 screens in 10 mostly small markets for an estimated gross of $2 million.

Other overseas cume updates: UI's "The Bourne Ultimatum," $213.5 million; Mandate International/Lionsgate's "Saw IV," $53.5 million; UI's "Elizabeth: The Golden Age," $36 million; and Sony's "Surf's Up," $86.3 million.

worst ever description of box office sales? I think so:

http://www.cnn.com/2007/SHOWBIZ/Movies/12/16/boxoffice.ap/index.html?eref=rss_topstories

The 20th Century Fox family flick "Alvin and the Chipmunks," starring Jason Lee in a big-screen take on the cartoon critters, opened a strong No. 2 with $45 million. The two films combined to give Hollywood a year-end surge after a drowsy fall season.

"Forty-five million acorns," said Chris Aronson, senior vice president for distribution at 20th Century Fox. "Chipmunks are diurnal animals and they do hibernate, but not right now."

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
Just want to add to the Bagger Vance love. My wife (girlfriend at the time) and I saw it in the theater when it came out. It was a weird experience - everyone there was triple our age! We felt really strange.

shintoki said:
But like take Will Smith, people really lean into him on almost every role he does. Like trying to make it out like he is a bad actor or something. Oh I Robot Sucked!!! Will Smith is a ****y actor. Its like, the movie sucks yea, but not so much on the last part. Its like I saw him in Ali, pretty dam good, Pursuit, I thought he was great in it. Its like people hold Fresh Prince against him or something:lol

I have to suffer through this shit at the mall. Don't bring it to the written word, damn it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom