• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Boxing Discussion

Heel

Check Cotto's gloves.

ifaOYZYzmnLj1.jpg

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
It's the doc's call. I wanted it to keep going, but whatever, Cotto would have won anyway. This was the same Margarito Pacquiao fought. Arrogant, and has no reason to be in the right. Cotto is the smart responsible boxer, Margarito is the cheater liar.

abuC

It's kind of a shame Margaritos career is probably over, mainly because he's such a good villian. His interview was hilarious, can't wait to see the post fight presser.

SSGMUN10000

Connoisseur Of Tedium
Even from the get go it seemed Margarito's punches didnt have much on them. Maybe he has been loading them up all this time. Great win by Cotto. Margo's career should now be over. Let's see were Cotto goes from here. Kirkland, Alvarez, Lara...there quite a few fights that could be made in this division.

Even from the get go it seemed Margarito's punches didnt have much on them. Maybe he has been loading them up all this time. Great win by Cotto. Margo's career should now be over. Let's see were Cotto goes from here. Kirkland, Alvarez, Lara...there quite a few fights that could be made in this division.

Margarito has always been a shitty puncher. It was always about volume and pressure.

I normally don't wish bad stuff on people but if Margarito's eye is permanently fucked and he can't fight I wouldn't even be mad. Dude should have never been licensed again.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Just getting home from the celebration. Boxing is basically the national sport so people had a blast street cotto won. Hell ian beyond wasted

jchap

Whoa! PETERSON beat Khan!!

This was a great fight!

Khan wilted under the pressure of Peterson no doubt, he will never make it at 147.

That said, I think Khan wins a rematch if they have one.

What a fight! Never expected Peterson to come out guns blazing, especially after that first round. And Khan was getting away with alot. Surprised it took so long to get that 2nd point. There had better be a rematch

Satyamdas

Banned
Never been big on Khan but I was surprised by how shitty he looked tonight. Way too much pushing/holding Peterson's head down (all while looking at the ref like Lamont was doing something dirty - wtf), way too much bike riding, sloppy flurries, etc. He showed that he is not in Mayweather's class by a long shot yet.

Peterson showed mad grit and heart, but goddamn does he need to learn to move. No bobbing and weaving, no footwork, and he ate a shit ton of punches as a result. If he had some good movement he could have avoided a lot of Khan's punches and landed a lot more shots of his own. I don't like the way he leans in so far with his head, either.

I don't have any problem with the deductions other than the ref not giving a final warning to Khan that the next time he did it he'd deduct a point. And he should have deducted the second one for holding his head down, not for pushing (but still given a warning first). If you're going to run away for 75% of the fight that's fine, but when the other guy finally gets to you you can't shove him off and/or hold his head down every single time he gets in. Shit was out of hand.

abuC

d[-_-]b;33362502 said:
Lol he needed a 2 point deduction to win otherwise, you know the score....

Peterson wasn't even hit on the "legit" knockdown.

Should have been a draw if anything, Khan was pushing with his forearms and that is illegal, period. This was for Marquez, and Khan's interview after the fight made the loss even better :)

Sadly thats what you get for doing someone the favor of fighting him in their hometown. Bullshit.
I wouldn't call it bullshit. The ref was a bit shite but the fight was close and Khan has no one to blame but himself for the point deductions. He was warned many times yet still persisted with the fouling which ultimately cost him the fight. Also the knockdown against Peterson seemed harsh so it kind of evened itself out IMO.

Khan's inside game is still severely lacking and I have no idea why Roach didn't tell him to use the uppercut until the 9th round. The pressure and body work of Peterson caused him a lot trouble and forced him into fighting far too negatively.

I had it 112 - 113 Peterson with the deductions.

SSGMUN10000

Connoisseur Of Tedium
Was able to rewatch the fight and I scored it a draw 113-113. If I take away the deductions I have Khan winning by 1 point. Great close fight. Khan should som resilience and was able to take some good shots. Peterson stepped it up and made it a brawl...which he needed to do. Can't wait for the rematch.

Was able to rewatch the fight and I scored it a draw 113-113. If I take away the deductions I have Khan winning by 1 point. Great close fight. Khan should som resilience and was able to take some good shots. Peterson stepped it up and made it a brawl...which he needed to do. Can't wait for the rematch.

I don't get it.

I rewatched and scored it 112-113 again in Peterson's favour and it could've been by even more as there were some extremely close rounds that I gave to Khan.

The icing on the cake for me is that there are no options or rematch clause. I hope Peterson bleeds them dry or offers them peanuts, which when Khan turns down, Peterson can accuse him of ducking.

The irony would be delicious.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/boxing/16191576.stm

BBC Sport said:
Amir Khan believes he has a chance of having his defeat by Lamont Peterson overturned on appeal.

The 25-year-old lost his WBA and IBF light-welterweight titles on Saturday night as Peterson won a narrow points decision in Washington D.C.

Khan crucially had two points deducted by referee Joseph Cooper for pushing and insists the decision was unfair.

Khan had Peterson on the canvas twice in the opening round - although only one was counted - and his two-point penalty proved costly after judges scored the fight at 113-112, 113-112, 110-115 in favour of the local fighter.

Ridiculous, as it was a close fight that could've gone either way really. All this shows me is that Khan isn't going to be working on his flaws as he's deluding himself.

As for his insistence that he didn't really push: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XEpQpOU5i8w
KuGsj.gif

Satyamdas

Banned
Ridiculous, as it was a close fight that could've gone either way really. All this shows me is that Khan isn't going to be working on his flaws as he's deluding himself.

As for his insistence that he didn't really push: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XEpQpOU5i8w
KuGsj.gif
Yeah the pushing was way out of hand, and let's not forget the constant pushing down and holding of Peterson's head whenever he got close.

I know HBO commentators get a lot of shit, but I find them competent on the whole. Hearing them bitch and moan about how pushing is totally legal in boxing and should never be punishable by a point deduction was really weird though. I still think the ref should've given Khan specific warnings that the next push would result in a point being taken, but there is no way you can watch that fight and tell me that he shouldn't have been penalized at all or that his pushing was just standard boxing. The fact that most refs are inept and let a ton of dirty shit go doesn't mean that you get a pass on doing them forever.

Yeah the pushing was way out of hand, and let's not forget the constant pushing down and holding of Peterson's head whenever he got close.

I know HBO commentators get a lot of shit, but I find them competent on the whole. Hearing them bitch and moan about how pushing is totally legal in boxing and should never be punishable by a point deduction was really weird though. I still think the ref should've given Khan specific warnings that the next push would result in a point being taken, but there is no way you can watch that fight and tell me that he shouldn't have been penalized at all or that his pushing was just standard boxing. The fact that most refs are inept and let a ton of dirty shit go doesn't mean that you get a pass on doing them forever.

Indeed. Pushing is illegal, end of story. Khan should've adjusted to the ref as you would in any other sport. The fact that he didn't speaks volumes.

SSGMUN10000

Connoisseur Of Tedium
I don't get it.

I rewatched and scored it 112-113 again in Peterson's favour and it could've been by even more as there were some extremely close rounds that I gave to Khan.

The icing on the cake for me is that there are no options or rematch clause. I hope Peterson bleeds them dry or offers them peanuts, which when Khan turns down, Peterson can accuse him of ducking.

The irony would be delicious.

If I remember correctly I had rd 9 scored an even round. The round in which Peterson seemed a little buzzed but did some great work on Khan. So if you were to give that round to either Peterson of Khan it would be a 113-112 score at the end.

Top Bottom