• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Boxing Discussion

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
who the fuck wants to see floyd/pacquiao? I'd rather see Marquez/Pacquiao for a 5th time.

Mayweather fights are as entertaining as watching paint dry.
Watching Mayweather fight is probably the last great technical display in boxing.

AwesomeSauce

MagsMoonshine
i though pac looked great in there

he just got caught with something he didn't see coming

Yep. He got caught. He was careless in that he wanted to make a statement leaving himself open more often.

I thought he looked good before the finish. Idk why people are saying he should retire, he has been KO'd before.

Anyway I want to see one more lol.

Manny lost, big deal. He has lost before.

A fight with Money should still happen. Greater odds it will happen if Floyd loses that first of two fights next year. The second fight should be Manny. We have waited long enough.

I also wouldnt mind another Marquez fight.
A big part of the allure was the perception that Manny was the guy to beat the invincible PBF. That has been shattered. They are both past their prime; and Manny has never lost like that. Boxing is 90% mental; who knows how he'd respond to that brutal ko. And Marquez/Manny 5? Really, why bother?

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
ZZZZ I don't care for the technical displays, I just want to see 2 people punch the shit out of each other, Pacquiao/Marquez fights give me just that. I'd take another, bring it.

IrishNinja

must've been weird for romney to watch what the rest of us saw happen to him just over a month ago

Watching Mayweather fight is probably the last great technical display in boxing.

this...he's a shitty human being & all that but an excellent fighter, top 10 defensive easily for me

Yep. He got caught. He was careless in that he wanted to make a statement leaving himself open more often.

I thought he looked good before the finish. Idk why people are saying he should retire, he has been KO'd before.

He was basically a teenager then, and it was from a body shot. A LONG time ago.

Tekniqs

FLoyd's planning two fights next year...one in May and another in September...strong possibility it's Guerrero then Canelo in September

Like Jones vs Tarver II.

Jones was looking great. One punch that he wouldn't have got caught with a couple fights before. Career over.

difference is Jones was a much better boxer (defense) than Pac ever was. He relied loads on his reflexes and when age (and losing 15-20lbs of muscle) caught up to him, Tarver caught him with that punch from hell.

smurfx

get some go again
Like Jones vs Tarver II.

Jones was looking great. One punch that he wouldn't have got caught with a couple fights before. Career over.
pacman and marquez have both had a long career and are very lucky to be even fighting at such a high level at their age. a knockout like the one pacman took is not something a fighter at that age can just shake off. many fighters are never the same after getting brutally knocked out like that. my guess is that mayweather will fight marquez on the cinco de mayo weekend for a pretty big payday.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!

A fight with Money should still happen. Greater odds it will happen if Floyd loses that first of two fights next year. The second fight should be Manny. We have waited long enough.

floyd and manny are nothing alike,never have been,never will be. manny's athleticism allowed him to make up for his many deficiencies in the ring. floyd has none that is exploitable. textbook and athletically gifted. not just that, floyd is controlled in the ring, manny is not. floyd knows where he is the ring at every moment, waiting to take advantage of the slightest of mistakes. also, he is a gymrat and does not overlook anyone.

ZZZZ I don't care for the technical displays, I just want to see 2 people punch the shit out of each other, Pacquiao/Marquez fights give me just that. I'd take another, bring it.
I can see that at the corner bar. It's called The Sweet Science for a reason. I like to see two guys who know how to fight, not soak up punishment till someone falls.

Baby Milo

floyd and manny are nothing alike,never have been,never will be. manny's athleticism allowed him to make up for his many deficiencies in the ring. floyd has none that is exploitable. textbook and athletically gifted. not just that, floyd is controlled in the ring, manny is not. floyd knows where he is the ring at every moment, waiting to take advantage of the slightest of mistakes. also, he is a gymrat and does not overlook anyone.

i don't like the way he gets trapped on the ropes recently

people say he does it intentionally but i dunno.....

AwesomeSauce

MagsMoonshine
He was basically a teenager then, and it was from a body shot. A LONG time ago.

What I should of said is that he's been finished before though not as devastating as tonight.

I still feel he has a couple more fights in him and he should get a chance to redeem himself against jmm.

DY_nasty

Pac still thinks he can throw like he used to. Thats obviously part of the problem...

If you're an attacking fighter that has been successful as he has, then you don't get caught like he did - Pac pulls out of there safely 100% of the time just two years ago and jumps back in laying the pace like its exactly what he practices and expects from his body. One year ago he pulls out and is safe but has trouble controlling the fight like how we saw in his last two fights. Today? He doesn't even realize how he's leaving his face out there - and tomorrow he'll have to deal with the decline plus having his face reupholstered.

Radec

who the fuck wants to see floyd/pacquiao? I'd rather see Marquez/Pacquiao for a 5th time.

Mayweather fights are as entertaining as watching paint dry.

23vl4ivjpg.gif

k8fiujpg.gif

ws6pyjpg.gif

10gzgxtjpg.gif

And that's the guy that knock the shit out of Pacquiao.

Mayweather will hilariously destroy Pacquiao now.

Tekniqs

he was brutally knocked out, that's why it's a big deal.

What I should of said is that he's been finished before though not as devastating as tonight.

I still feel he has a couple more fights in him and he should get a chance to redeem himself against jmm.
Yeah, I love to watch these guys fight each other, but 5 fights is a stretch, lol. They remind me of JMM's brother and Israel Vazquez; I can watch those guys go to war every weekend.

Loofy

Dude just keeps his distance. With the mosley fight we saw what happens when he got to close... and it didnt look pretty. Of course that was long after mosleys prime, maybe thats why floyd chose to wait so long.

Agent Icebeezy

until proven otherwise, it is a psychological thing he does with opponents. to be so close but yet, not hit him. i agree though, i love watching it but i don't want him doing it often. if he boxes from the outside like the first four rounds against cotto then he beats everyone with ease.

Tekniqs

wrong sport bro. I like a brawl as much as the next person, but watching a technician dismantle his opponent is quite entertaining IMO

DY_nasty

Floyd knows he isn't as fast as he used to be... even Mobley almost chased him down.

But at least Floyd knows that and adapts. Manny has been trying to strong arm father time for the past three fights and hasn't even started to acknowledge it in his style.

Fantomex

Floyd knows he isn't as fast as he used to be... even Mobley almost chased him down.

But at least Floyd knows that and adapts. Manny has been trying to strong arm father time for the past three fights and hasn't even started to acknowledge it in his style.

Manny has been trying to Bernard Hopkins the competition for the last 2 years, Hopkins was an anomally. I don't know how he stayed that good for so long. Everyone waited year after year for him to slow down and he eventually slowed down near 40 lol. Take that money and go be a congressmanny.

Tekniqs

Dude just keeps his distance. With the mosley fight we saw what happens when he got to close... and it didnt look pretty. Of course that was long after mosleys prime, maybe thats why floyd chose to wait so long.

floyd called Mosley out in 2006...Mosley said he had a toothache and had to see his dentist first. GTFO lol.

who closed out that round going backwards? Who was going forward the entire rest of the fight? Floyd had one bad round and you guys act like that's what usually happens when he doesn't "run"...lol gtfo

Agent Icebeezy

shane had tooth aches and even after that punch, floyd walked him down that very round.

Baby Milo

until proven otherwise, it is a psychological thing he does with opponents. to be so close but yet, not hit him. i agree though, i love watching it but i don't want him doing it often. if he boxes from the outside like the first four rounds against cotto then he beats everyone with ease.

i see floyd losing by someone banking rounds by outworking him against the ropes or KO'ing him there

i think that is the way to do it if it's gonna happen

DY_nasty

floyd called Mosley out in 2006...Mosley said he had a toothache and had to see his dentist first. GTFO lol.

who closed out that round going backwards? Who was going forward the entire rest of the fight? Floyd had one bad round and you guys act like that's what usually happens when he doesn't "run"...lol gtfo
Mayweather got rocked and if dude had the same gas tank from even two years ago then Mayweather would've been screwed. Everyone could see how Mosley was gassed. Screw the pre-fight stories, Mayweather was damned lucky to be fighting a guy with a foot in a retirement home.

Mayweather got rocked and if dude had the same EPO from even two years ago then Mayweather would've been screwed. Everyone could see how Mosley was gassed. Screw the pre-fight stories, Mayweather was damned lucky to be fighting a guy with a foot in a retirement home.
Fixed.

Fantomex

When I was a wee lad I hated great boxers, Pernell Whitaker, Ray Leonard, Finito Lopez, Prince Naseem, until I realized 10 years later I didn't know crap about boxing. Same way a lot of cats do now, and thats cool. I mean dudes wanna see Rocky IV type fights in the ring, slobberknockers, blood going everywhere, 4 knockouts per fight. But the beauty is what some of these dudes like Floyd provide. Not getting hit, not getting hurt. But it's more for the hardcore, less for the casual fan. So I understand. But on the real, when you don't take things too seriously and who people are outside the ring, and their bragaddocio and twitter feeds it becomes easier to enjoy boxers.

Tekniqs

so pac had JMM on wobbly street for half a round and he couldn't finish him...does he not have the same gas tank as before?

Shane caught Floyd with two good shots...I've always said Shane had the strongest single shot power in that division and Floyd was rocked good. But dude was coherent and didn't simply lay on the ropes..he made sure to throw back and pick his spots. He threw some body shots fending off Shane, pushed him back and dominated the rest of the fight.n It's not like Shane was teeing off on him freely and simply "gassed" and stopped.

Agent Icebeezy

even during the leadup to the fight, nazzim told him, after you hit floyd with your best shot, he is going to come back like a fire breathing dragon. floyd got caught then proceeded to whitewash shane all night long.

paolo11

Are you guys really serious? Pacquiao vs Marquez again? No way!!!!!

Pacquiao is done. It hurts cuz I'm a big fan.

IrishNinja

When I was a wee lad I hated great boxers, Pernell Whitaker, Ray Leonard, Finito Lopez, Prince Naseem, until I realized 10 years later I didn't know crap about boxing. Same way a lot of cats do now, and thats cool. I mean dudes wanna see Rocky IV type fights in the ring, slobberknockers, blood going everywhere, 4 knockouts per fight. But the beauty is what some of these dudes like Floyd provide. Not getting hit, not getting hurt. But it's more for the hardcore, less for the casual fan. So I understand. But on the real, when you don't take things too seriously and who people are outside the ring, and their bragaddocio and twitter feeds it becomes easier to enjoy boxers.

good post.
wait, Naseeum was great? i only saw clips, took him for a Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!! character

ps what's EPO

Top Bottom