• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Boxing Discussion

8defed5041d311e28d0622000a9e13b7_7.jpg

9336401041d411e283e822000a1f8e5b_7.jpg

Mayweather got rocked and if dude had the same gas tank from even two years ago then Mayweather would've been screwed. Everyone could see how Mosley was gassed. Screw the pre-fight stories, Mayweather was damned lucky to be fighting a guy with a foot in a retirement home.

get the fuck outta here

AlexBasch

Wish I had the photoshop skills to create a gif from that last Marquez punch, with SF Alpha super special move effects and that shit.

Both my dad and I screamed "Holy shit!" at the top of our lungs. :')

An absolute jerk in and outside the ring. But he was technically very solid imo.

GIFSoup

He had a technique that worked for him, it was by no means textbook. Barrera showed him what a real technician looks like, and then Naseem showed us all that he didn't have much heart and quit the sport soon after.

Sweet Pea was unbelievable with his defensive skills.

overcast

Jesus, Pac can still fight despite this. He got knocked out, but that happens. Dude isn't dedicated, but he isn't done. I'm not a Pac fan but let's not pile on right now.

Can we have another fight between these two though?

HiResDes

Naseem was the most entertaining fighter to watch...He had feints that made Roy Jones look slow. Mosley wasn't a can, he just wasn't a legend.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
No one has beat floyd yet and hypotheticals don't mean anything!
Its not even a hypothetical lol

Mayweather fought a can. Everyone would agree that it would've been an entirely different fight had it taken place earlier no matter who you thought would win.

Goddamn can't even use Mayweather as an example of a good aging boxer without people getting sensitive.

Mayweather fought a can. Everyone would agree that it would've been an entirely different fight had it taken place earlier no matter who you thought would win.

Goddamn can't even use Mayweather as an example of a good aging boxer without people getting sensitive.

woulda shoulda coulda, etc, I mean if we gotta draw up alternate storylines for solace

Everyone knows had I been born into a rich family I'd be a harvard graduate. Same logic

harSon

Banned

You can't rewind the time on one boxer, and maintain the age of the other just to make a point.

DY_nasty

woulda shoulda coulda, etc, I mean if we gotta draw up alternate storylines for solace

Everyone knows had I been born into a rich family I'd be a harvard graduate. Same logic
No it literally is not.

I said that fight would be different if both guys were at different stages of their careers. I don't even know how you argue that. Its not like I said "Mayweather only won cuz words". Thats a hypothetical. All I've been saying since the start of the page was that Pac's game didn't adapt to his age like Mayweather's did - and that Mosley might've been to change a fight if he weren't fighting past his own curtain call.

But don't let me stop your stanning.

No it literally is not.

I said that fight would be different if both guys were at different stages of their careers. I don't even know how you argue that. Its not like I said "Mayweather only won cuz words". Thats a hypothetical. All I've been saying since the start of the page was that Pac's game didn't adapt to his age like Mayweather's did - and that Mosley might've been to change a fight if he weren't fighting past his own curtain call.

But don't let me stop your stanning.

Mayweather got rocked and if dude had the same gas tank from even two years ago then Mayweather would've been screwed.

Ok, I'll keep my stanning going now

DY_nasty

Screwed means knocked out in the third now? Lol he controlled the next 7 rounds.

Christ dude

My bad. Didn't know one word would immediately invalidate my last dozen posts, destroy context of the discussion, and light all the fanboy alarms in here.

So... does that mean that Marquez is the # 1 or 2 ranked Welterwieght?

Yeah, I pretty much agree he (JMM) shouldn't fight Floyd; their styles are similar (counterpunchers), it will just end the same way.

Lol....

Pacquiao is done. No boxer that I know off can recover and fight at the peak of their skills.

Marquez deserved the win. He worked his ass off. Pacquiao on the other hand did not do strength and plyometric training.

Marquez got robbed at least the last two times, glad he finally knocked him out definitively so there would be no decision

Esch

Banned
Well, thats the end. Boxers that rely on athletic gifts dont age well. Roy Jones and Pacquiao having dinner together.

It was a good ride manny, for what its worth I think you were that good at one point.

Heel

I like how after every fight there's mofukkas thinkin' they're the second coming of Bert Sugar or some shit.

HiResDes

Well, thats the end. Boxers that rely on athletic gifts dont age well. Roy Jones and Pacquiao having dinner together.

It was a good ride manny, for what its worth I think you were that good at one point.

Yeah people are going to act like he was never any good, or that he never had a shot...I think he had a shot, but that shot dwindled more and more as time went on...Pac's body has been through harder battles and I'd wager he's fought slightly tougher competition than Mayweather.

IrishNinja

DY gettin caught up in some ol genesis vs SNES shit

dude's 33, i really don't get how Hopkins held up till damn near 40 while pac-mans checking for that matinee movie discount

abuC

A can that was coming off beating Antonio Margarito into submission?

Had they fought at an earlier time let's say in 06 there would have been nothing Shanes could have done, Mayweather still had his all world speed at the time. Shane in his prime couldnt beat Vernon Forrest or Winky Wright, he would have zero chance against a younger Floyd, which is exactly why he ducked him to begin with.

DY_nasty

alright so the fight would have been "different" but mayweather screwed still woulda whooped his ass

done and done

I got an idea. I think I'll just jump in a SF thread, wait til someone brings up frame advantages while comparing Ken to Ryu, get mad when someone mentions that Ryu is inferior in any way, wait til it becomes clear that I didn't even bother to read any of the conversation regarding that post, then respond with "check the tier lists LOL" when its all said and done.

Wish me luck bro
!
A can that was coming off beating Antonio Margarito into submission?

Had they fought at an earlier time let's say in 06 there would have been nothing Shanes could have done, Mayweather still had his all world speed at the time. Shane in his prime couldnt beat Vernon Forrest or Winky Wright, he would have zero chance against a younger Floyd, which is exactly why he ducked him to begin with.

I'm not even gonna start on Margarito lol... but by all means, feel free to actually read the comparison I was drawing that everyone else seemed to catch just fine before sound tried to turn this into a whatif conversation when it clearly wasn't.

LAWD GAWD!!!

I'm glad this happened to Manny, because he was getting on my nerves even though I do love him

BUT

No one should be that happy, as it seems the big fight is less likely to happen now. But fuck it, boxing for the last few years has been dead

I'm watching more of our home grown lads like Carl Froch, Kel Brook, etc

Esch

Banned
DY gettin caught up in some ol genesis vs SNES shit

dude's 33, i really don't get how Hopkins held up till damn near 40 while pac-mans checking for that matinee movie discount
I cant tell if you're being serious or not. You do follow this sport right?

Look at their ages, fighting styles and careers, life paths and if you cant see why one petered out earlier than another you need to dig deeper.

IrishNinja

I cant tell if you're being serious or not. You do follow this sport right?

Look at their ages, fighting styles and careers, life paths and if you cant see why one petered out earlier than another you need to dig deeper.

not as much in recent years as i'd like to
so you tell me, eshas - particularly bolded bit

Dudes calling Pac a can, calling for retirement, saying JMM is roiding, and all the good shit that comes along when a big name gets beat. I love it. Now gaffers can't act like that shit only happens in the MMA thread.

DY_nasty

Dudes calling Pac a can, calling for retirement, saying JMM is roiding, and all the good shit that comes along when a big name gets beat. I love it. Now gaffers can't act like that shit only happens in the MMA thread.

Years from now we'll look back and see the symbolism of Roy and Pac talking like this.

Esch

Banned
not as much in recent years as i'd like to
so you tell me, eshas - particularly bolded bit
One is a boxer, the other has another job and clearly has been putting emphasis on it for some time now. Pacquiao has been half assing it- and has been duped by his own invincibility that once came through bleeding gums hard training, not just natural talent. Once a guy like him, a training freak, steps off the gas, their ideal condition is lost forever.

He was in his prime from DLH to Clottey IMO physically, and his fighting style depends on that physicality way more than a standard boxer-puncher or boxer type. Floyd was always going to win the war of attrition, time tested fundamental technique lasts past prime. That has always been the case. Unless you're Harry Greb. Also, pressure fighters fade faster for obvious reasons.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
king floyd will retired undefeated.

But he never fought Manny in his prime. He can keep his undefeated record, that ish will always be with him.

As for Manny he was winning going into the 6th, so I still expect a few more good fights for him, but his career is in decline no doubt. Looking forward to chapter 5 Manny v. Marquez.

Mr. Robot

Saw a Marquez post-match interview on spanish, and the commentator said something about Marquez telling him on friday that he knew that Manny would try to end it quickly and beat the hell out of him in the early rounds, so he was just going to endure it, and that the real match would start at round 3, he also said that he trained for that situation where he got the knock out and that he was going to feint body hooks to get those headshots...

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
This is the beauty of boxing

All it takes is that one lapse or that one perfect counter
doesn't matter what the last X rounds were like
you get caught by anyone with any sort of power behind them and you are -spark- out
Pac was seeming to be getting on top in the fight but he got well and truly caught

Congrats to Marquez - great punch, perfectly executed. And he's deserved it over the last few fights.

Pacquiao is done. No boxer that I know off can recover and fight at the peak of their skills.

you can't think of a single post 33 year old world class boxer that came back to be -at least- good enough to regain a world title or two? Not one?

I know weight divisions and all that and probably "not at the peak" but... It's not like Pac hasn't been beaten before. He'll be back.

The second coming of Naseem Hamed:

423px-Kid_Galahad_after_Booth_win.jpg

Kid Galahad - a cocky prick from the same gym with slick movement and fast hands, he hasn't got the power of Hamed though.

rvy

Banned
@RealSkipBayless
So much for Pacquiao-Mayweather.

UB1eV.gif

He should have tweeted: "Someone shut me up, clearly I don't know anything about boxing and I can't go on nuthugging this fraud."

Top Bottom