• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Boxing Discussion

abuC

I don't think he beats Rios. Rios is too relentless, a bad style matchup for Khan. He'll soak up whatever Khan dishes and walk him down and expose that chin. Matthysse is the best at 140; a beast who would knock Khan into retirement. Any of the rough and tumble guys at 140 would trouble him imo.

If he fought smart I think he could beat Rios, he handled Maidana who is a huge puncher at 140lbs and doesn't stop pressuring. I know Marcos isn't as skilled as Rios but I do think Khan could get in and get out before Rios could counter. If he tries to get flashy and trade then he's dead in the water.

If he fought smart I think he could beat Rios, he handled Maidana who is a huge puncher at 140lbs and doesn't stop pressuring. I know Marcos isn't as skilled as Rios but I do think Khan could get in and get out before Rios could counter. If he tries to get flashy and trade then he's dead in the water.
Well, yeah, Rios is as smart in the ring as a bag of shrimp. Skill-wise he's definitely inferior than Khan. I just can't see Khan fending him off for a whole twelve rounds. When you pressure him he tends to fall apart. Matthysse is the man though; he can get guys outta there without being a punching bag.

good fight from khan. looked a lot more on his game this time round compared the last couple of fights. seems all he needed was to lose and lose badly for him to finally improve.

it also helped that he lost a lot of the hype surrounding him from his early fights. the talk of him fighting mayweather for example was ridiculous.

Wow just watched boxing for the first time in a long time. Surprise surprise a bullshit decision. First words out of Freddie Roaches mouth... "That's boxing."

let this sport die please.

abuC

Wow just watched boxing for the first time in a long time. Surprise surprise a bullshit decision. First words out of Freddie Roaches mouth... "That's boxing."

Really? 2012 had some flat out amazing fights, maybe you should go back to not watching it.

Maybe you should stick with MMA or something, great year of boxing this was. Hell, this is coming from a David Haye fan! (who let me down big time.) Still thought there were more than enough great fights this year.

What a way to break in the return of Friday Night Fights in 2013. a give away decision. They should put all judges on the spotlight and ask them in front of a camera: "Why did you make this decision?"

Steve Collins is coming out of retirement to fight Roy Jones Jr.

He's 48 and retired in 1999.

This won't end well.

For RJJ.

Froch - Kessler two is on, May looking the likely date and the o2 Arena in London being the likely venue. Pretty sure I'll go to this and will take my Dad for his birthday too. Hopefully it'll make up for the shite card last time I took him boxing (Mitchell - Katsidis at Upton park).

JLG-

Tonight on HBO:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=dKVA3OmLXZ0

WBA World middleweight title: Gennady Golovkin vs. Gabriel Rosado
WBO super featherweight title: Roman Martinez vs. Juan Carlos Burgos
WBO featherweight title: Orlando Salido vs. Mikey Garcia

elqEV1G.jpg

Since the thread is up again, it seems Klitschko is (at least for the time) dodging Povetkin. Rumors are that he might not fight Povetkin at all (and instead lay down his title) because of contractual reasons (fights of Klitschko air on German channel RTL, fights of Povetkin on public channel ARD).

I heard that Klitschko's own team are pissed off with him. Not sure what he's worried about as Povetkin seems to have actually gone backwards.

Since the thread is up again, it seems Klitschko is (at least for the time) dodging Povetkin. Rumors are that he might not fight Povetkin at all (and instead lay down his title) because of contractual reasons (fights of Klitschko air on German channel RTL, fights of Povetkin on public channel ARD).

It's up to Povetkin to push for the fight. He hasn't looked like a world beater who even has a chance in hell of beating Wlad. No one gives two craps about seeing the fight.

Can't wait to see more GGG tonight!

And, Roy Jones should have stayed at heavyweight, defeated the corpses of Holyfield and Tyson, maybe even unify against Chris Byrd and retired. He'd be considered a god.

Povetkin seemed good against fat Rahman, but that's hardly indicative. Before that his performance against Huck was extremely disappointing and he switched his trainer afterwards. Lots of talent, lots of promise, but he hasn't been able to deliver yet.

If Povetkin finally got off his ass it could be a fantastic fight. That's a big if though.

Edit:
Also I wish there was a convenient way to watch more boxing here in Germany. Many fantastic fights are not available on public or even pay TV.

At least you still get big fights on terrestrial. The biggest we get on free to air is Tyson Fury vs a tomato can.

BadAss2961

Wach was tested positive on steroids for his fight against Klitschko and received a twelve month ban by BDB (Association of German professional boxers).

In other news, it seems that Odlaner Solis - who lost against Vitali Klitschko in the first round after injuring his knee while he got knocked down - might have the best chances for a title fight in April against Wladimir Klitschko. The fight against Povetkin won't happen before summer.

What a joke.
The whole heavyweight scene is just horrible.

I wanna see Deontay Wilder fight a Klitschko. Don't care if he's "ready" or not. There's nothing else out there that intrigues me at this point.

damn2ems62.gif

abuC

The whole heavyweight scene is just horrible.

I wanna see Deontay Wilder fight a Klitschko. Don't care if he's "ready" or not. There's nothing else out there that intrigues me at this point.

damn2ems62.gif

His record is gaudy, but he's been fighting garbage men and cab drivers, either Klitschko will knock him out.

Robert Helenius vs Wilder should decide who gets to fight them, and I think Helenius knocks wilder out.

Wilder fighting Boxcar Willie would be a STEP UP for him at this point. I can't wait for him to KTFO when he fights anyone top 50 (so, in about 4 years).

I really don't like Wlad, but there isn't anyone for him to fight. The turds out there need to start facing off against each other both for experience and to create anything resembling excitement.

Showtime/HBO/ESPN/NBC really should take 4 to 8 of these guys and have a single elimination tourney to have a decent challenger. Just looking at boxingrec, You could have Steve Cunningham, Chris Arreola, Bryant Jennings, Wilder in a AMERICAN HEAVYWEIGHT FINAL FOUR.

After watching HBO basically ruin Seth Mitchells career, I'm not exactly endorsing them to do it.

abuC

Wilder fighting Boxcar Willie would be a STEP UP for him at this point. I can't wait for him to KTFO when he fights anyone top 50 (so, in about 4 years).

I really don't like Wlad, but there isn't anyone for him to fight. The turds out there need to start facing off against each other both for experience and to create anything resembling excitement.

Showtime/HBO/ESPN/NBC really should take 4 to 8 of these guys and have a single elimination tourney to have a decent challenger. Just looking at boxingrec, You could have Steve Cunningham, Chris Arreola, Bryant Jennings, Wilder in a AMERICAN HEAVYWEIGHT FINAL FOUR.

After watching HBO basically ruin Seth Mitchells career, I'm not exactly endorsing them to do it.

Mitchell was grossly overrated though, he would have been exposed with or without HBO's help.

The best heavyweight prospect in a long time is Anthony Joshua from the UK, won Gold at the Olympics in the Super heavwyweight divison.

joshua_2285576b.jpg

6'6" 240lbs, unfortunately the brothers Klitschkos might retire long before he's ready, since this clown wants to fight in the 2016 olympics.

Mitchell was grossly overrated though, he would have been exposed with or without HBO's help.

The best heavyweight prospect in a long time is Anthony Joshua from the UK, won Gold at the Olympics in the Super heavwyweight divison.

joshua_2285576b.jpg

6'6" 240lbs, unfortunately the brothers Klitschkos might retire long before he's ready, since this clown wants to fight in the 2016 olympics.

David Price is a better prospect than him. He needs to step up his fucking competition though.

abuC

Price is relatively new to the pro game so it's not always about age. Also, Joshua is shite and will come unstuck in the pro game.

I'm always wary of fighters that turn pro late, but that's just me. And Joshua has time to improve, any type of issues with Price and his age works against him.

Didn't they change the rules to allow professionals at the next Olympics ? Either way, I wouldn't be surprised if at least Wladimir is still around for the next four years.

Whatever happened to heavyweight boxing in the US ? It seems like such a long time ago that there was any promising talent from there.

I don't think Pros are allowed, but I'll check.

Heavyweight boxing in the US is dead because of the NFL and the NBA, all the people that fall into the modern heavyweight body type are playing those sports.

NFL defensive ends -

JJ Watt (6"5 295lbs)
nfl_ap_jjwatt_combine1_600.jpg

Mario Williams (6"7 290lbs )
Mario_Williams-1.jpg

Julius Peppers (6"7 287lbs)
Julius-Peppers.jpg

And plenty of NBA power forwards who are all between 6"6 to 6"10 and 230-290lbs. There's too much guaranteed money in those sports and a higher chance to make it than there is to be a good to great heavyweight boxer.

I'm always wary of fighters that turn pro late, but that's just me. And Joshua has time to improve, any type of issues with Price and his age works against him.

I don't think Pros are allowed, but I'll check.

Heavyweight boxing in the US is dead because of the NFL and the NBA, all the people that fall into the modern heavyweight body type are playing those sports.

NFL defensive ends -

JJ Watt (6"5 295lbs)
nfl_ap_jjwatt_combine1_600.jpg

Mario Williams (6"7 290lbs )
Mario_Williams-1.jpg

Julius Peppers (6"7 287lbs)
Julius-Peppers.jpg

And plenty of NBA power forwards who are all between 6"6 to 6"10 and 230-290lbs. There's too much guaranteed money in those sports and a higher chance to make it than there is to be a good to great heavyweight boxer.

Personally I think the difference between the amateur and pro game is too vast nowadays. I'm calling it now, Joshua won't amount to much. Not as bad as Audley Harrison though.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on

Power but super green in terms of technique... won't be surprised if he loses the rematch as well.

jchap

Lucas Matthysse just rag dolled Mike Dallas Jr.

Everyone in that division is falling over themselves dodging this guy.

Lucas Matthysse just rag dolled Mike Dallas Jr.

Everyone in that division is falling over themselves dodging this guy.
I've been saying it for a couple of years now; he's the most intimidating puncher in boxing right now. The scary part is his timing; he's not wild, his defense isn't too porous, and he can throw short or looping punches, it doesn't matter. Straight up beast.

Top Bottom