• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Boxing Discussion

Caspel

Business & Marketing Manager @ GungHo
options for Floyd would be:

Tim Bradley, should he beat Marquez. Hell, give Marquez another shot if all Mayweather wants is big-money paydays.
Winner of Lucas Matthysse/Lamont Peterson
Danny Garcia
Saul Alvarez

puebla

Canelo is too big. He is a full fledged middleweight cutting down to junior middleweight. Not a good fight for Floyd at his age, but I could still see him winning on points.
he's big for him but i don't think he's too big. floyd was bigger than marquez and came in overweight, i didn't hear nobody complain? yes it is a dangerous fight for floyd, which is why he should take it instead of fighting B class fighters.

Pacquiao or bust.

2FWeStM.jpg

Daddy disapproved so it never happened.

abuC

he's big for him but i don't think he's too big. floyd was bigger than marquez and came in overweight, i didn't hear nobody complain? yes it is a dangerous fight for floyd, which is why he should take it instead of fighting B class fighters.

And if he beats Canelo, it'll be "Canelo is a scrub that wasn't ready, he's just too young and Floyd didn't trade with him!"

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
The Cotto fight was fun. I think at this point anything interesting with Mayweather is over, here on out it will be fights like tonight, or health problems.

Batman

Banned
The only fighter that has the power to knock Mayweather out is Marquez, if they had a rematch the fight would be on better grounds since they fought at a catchweight and Marquez did not fill his body out yet.

Tim Bradley, should he beat Marquez. Hell, give Marquez another shot if all Mayweather wants is big-money paydays.
Danny Garcia
Saul Alvarez

I'd really like to see Floyd fight Bradley. Not that he would lose, but Bradley will come to fight AND have skills/craft to make a better go of it than Guerrero.

Don't know what it is but even after the fight the Guerrero's seem really bitter. Especially the father.

His dad had a fedora on, so he was prob friendzoned by someone or mad he forgot to dvr MLP.

puebla

And if he beats Canelo, it'll be "Canelo is a scrub that wasn't ready, he's just too young and Floyd didn't trade with him!"
it's all about options, and floyd doesn't have many exciting options left besides canelo. canelo is young but if floyd beats him i won't complain. it would be a victory over a bigger, stronger, younger man who is a legit 54 champion.

Danny Garcia
Saul Alvarez

Danny Garcia would be awesome just because of the sheer shit talking that would ensue.

Danny's dad seems to be the king of shit talking.

No one complained because Marquez is a HOF fighter. Regardless of weight guys don't just dominate Marquez like Floyd did.

Guerrero's mistake was believing his win over Berto marked his arrival. I'll admit I was surprised, but only at the amount of damage he was able to absorb at welterweight. Berto was exposed back when he got that gift against Collazo. At least he finally got that payday he always dreamed of; like Floyd told him, he got the raw dog this time.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
I know how they could spruce up boxing. They should allow both boxers to throw one kick per round. Just one. It can be any kind of a kick. Or even a knee. Who wouldnt wanna see Wlad throw a flying knee sagat style?

Tekniqs

Canelo's fight night weight was 171lbs....Floyd's heaviest fight night weight was 151lbs...it's a big fucking difference

puebla

Canelo's fight night weight was 171lbs....Floyd's heaviest fight night weight was 151lbs...it's a big fucking difference
victor ortiz was 168 for fight night, i think? he didn't have a problem with him. pac beat up margarito who was 17 pounds heavier than him on fight night. if he doesn't wanna fight bigger guys he should just say he's sticking to welterweight.

charsace

Pac fight won't happen. Arum hates Mayweather and knows that there is a good chance Floyd would win. Arum has a ton of fighters to make money off of so depriving Floyd of a fight that would be a huge payday makes him happy. Even though he's hurting the pocket of his fighter. Then again Arum doesn't really care about Manny.

Tekniqs

victor ortiz was 168 for fight night, i think? he didn't have a problem with him. pac beat up margarito who was 17 pounds heavier than him on fight night. if he doesn't wanna fight bigger guys he should just say he's sticking to welterweight.

i'd rather boxing went back to same day weigh ins rather than having a full 24 hours to rehydrate so boxers would actually fight in the division they should be in

Pac fight won't happen. Arum hates Mayweather and knows that there is a good chance Floyd would win. Arum has a ton of fighters to make money off of so depriving Floyd of a fight that would be a huge payday makes him happy. Even though he's hurting the pocket of his fighter. Then again Arum doesn't really care about Manny.

All Manny had to do was keep winning. Instead he got a razor thin decision against Marquez, a WAT boxing moment against Bradley, and then KTFO. He's 1-2 in his last three with a KO loss. No one is clamoring for a Mayweather fight like they were two years ago. If they really want to do it he needs to fight twice this year and win impressively. Then they can start banging the drum. Guerrero was a more deserving opponent than the Manny of 2013.

That's the opinion of a man who has never seen someone throw a wheel kick.

Wlad nearly sharts himself when his opponent throws punches, now you want to add in kicks??

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
All Manny had to do was keep winning. Instead he got a razor thin decision against Marquez, a WAT boxing moment against Bradley, and then KTFO. He's 1-2 in his last three with a KO loss. No one is clamoring for a Mayweather fight like they were two years ago. If they really want to do it he needs to fight twice this year and win impressively. Then they can start banging the drum. Guerrero was a more deserving opponent than the Manny of 2013.

Wlad nearly sharts himself when his opponent throws punches, now you want to add in kicks??

We can put pillows on their feet too?

VoxPop

So who's next? I doubt they'd do Pacquiao. Alvarez is the best contender at the moment but I doubt Golden Boy would let them fight right now. What about Desert Storm? I guess Amir Khan? Lol..

muddream

Banned
Amir Khan barely beat a journeyman in his last fight and people still remember the Garcia KO, he would need to get a good win before they can sell that fight..my guess is Matthysse.

Amir Khan barely beat a journeyman in his last fight and people still remember the Garcia KO, he would need to get a good win before they can sell that fight..my guess is Matthysse.

If its not Canelo, it's got to be the winner of Matthysse/Peterson.

Bradley is fighting Marquez in Sept, so he's out. And Kahn is a joke. If Kahn can get a big win in the fall then I could see him vs Floyd in May 2014. They could put a lot of people into Wembly Stadium......

Tom_Cody

It doesn't make sense for Mayweather to fight in September. Marquez/Bradley is already schedule and presumably Canelo will be fighting as well. I hope Mayweather uses his hand as an excuse to put off his next fight until November.

As far as potential opponents:

-I would love to see him up against the winner of Bradley/Marquez. More-so Bradley obviously but Marquez would have a valid claim at a rematch following victories over Pac and Bradley.

-Whoever comes out on top of after Garcia faces the Matthysse-Peterson winner.

-Pac is still a huge fight whenever that happens. It's just a question of how much he will be able to rehab his image before the fight gets made. Pac is supposed to face either Rios or Alvarado in the fall and, assuming he wins in exciting fashion, this will do a lot to bring him back to prominence.

-With his move to 147 Adrien Broner is obviously jockeying for a shot again Mayweather. Let's see how he looks against Malignaggi and 1-2 other 147 pounders before we get too excited though.

-Canelo is obviously an extremely appealling fight but somehow I fear Mayweather-Canelo is going to become the next phantom bout in the vein of Mayweather-Pacquiao.

Unfortunately none of these fights make sense for September (or even November really to be honest). I have no idea who he is looking to face in the fall. Maybe the Maidana-Lopez winner? Maidana is a beast and I would enjoy him against Mayweather. Not a perfect match-up at all but I would take it if Floyd does decide to make a super quick turnaround.

Tom_Cody

Boxing is notorious for the fight you want to see not happening. Kahn/Floyd in the UK makes sense $$$$$wise even though its a shit fight.
This fight will happen eventually. If Floyd can make $30 million against the ghost he can make much more against Khan. Khan just needs to string a few wins together and the fight will be made.

jchap

This fight will happen eventually. If Floyd can make $30 million against the ghost he can make much more against Khan. Khan just needs to string a few wins together and the fight will be made.

Not if Khan gets sparked again before then... which could happen against any oponent.

Boogybro

Not if Khan gets sparked again before then... which could happen against any oponent.

Exactly. And Khan doesn't have the option of fighting another blown up lightweight 7 years passed his prime, so the odds of him getting KO'd are even higher.

smurfx

get some go again
What is the justification for Rios instead of Alvarado? It's always skeevy to see the loser of a fight rewarded instead of the winner.

Whatever. I will enjoy watching Pac tee off on Rios for 12 rounds.
freddy roach thinks rios is the easiest fight.

Tom_Cody

freddy roach thinks rios is the easiest fight.
Eh, I'm kind of torn on who would actually be better against Pac. Rios at least has the better chin. Top Rank has also been pushing Rios hard for the last few years. I think it's more that they view him as the bigger potential star. I don't think Alvarado was supposed to win the rematch.

Quote from Arum on the match-up:

Bob Arum said:
“There’s a school of fan who want to see artistic fights with fighters like Floyd Mayweather and Guillermo Rigondeaux,” Arum told the L.A. Times, “but we felt they also want to see a knock-down, drag-out action fight, and that’s what we’re going to give them.”
http://www.fightnews.com/Boxing/pacquiao-rios-on-november-23-in-macao-194645

I get the dig at Mayweather, but why is Arum always shitting on Rigondeaux? His comments in the aftermath of the Donaire fight were surprisingly negative. I guess I'm just one of those fans who wants 'artistic fights'.

Tom_Cody

Speaking of Rigondeaux, he just called out Mares:

Guillermo ‘El Chacal’ Rigondeaux said:
“It was an easy night’s work beating the 2012 fighter of the year Nonito Donaire on April 13th but beating Mares will be even easier,” said Rigondeaux. “I have already beaten Mares in the Pan American Games by a wide points margin of 17-7 but with the headgear off and these small gloves I will knock him out. However, if he wants to step up to the big time he should take this challenge. I’m sure my promoters can make it financially worthwhile for him and for Golden Boy. Of course, if he simply wants to be an undercard fighter and not rise to this challenge, that is his right but all will know then that he is afraid to fight me.”
http://www.fightnews.com/Boxing/rigondeaux-targets-mares-194938

That is one of the best fights in boxing if it can be made but I don't see any possibility that Golden Boy and Top Rank will come together to make the fight. I would very much enjoy seeing Rigondeaux face Mijares and Santa Cruz (though this fight will never get made) before he moves up to 126.

Top Bottom