• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Boxing Discussion

another guy coming off of a loss lol

To be fair, Manny is coming off a brutal KO loss. No one should be surprised at him picking a name opponent that is tailor made for his style.

Hopefully he wins in spectacular fashion, then avenge the Bradley loss in Spring 2014......then finally Floyd in fall 2014. A lotta ifs (especially Bradley beating Marquez) but it makes sense.

abuC

To be fair, Manny is coming off a brutal KO loss. No one should be surprised at him picking a name opponent that is tailor made for his style.

Hopefully he wins in spectacular fashion, then avenge the Bradley loss in Spring 2014......then finally Floyd in fall 2014. A lotta ifs (especially Bradley beating Marquez) but it makes sense.

Co-sign, Rios may be coming off a loss but he's still young and can take a punch.

Heel

All access is terrible compared to 24/7. The narrating sucked and I barely watched an episode where as 24/7 was one hell of a build up to the fight.

HBO is simply a much better network with better reach and marketing than Showtime.

Finally, it's Guerrero...

HBO Sports president Ross Greenburg, the man behind the 24/7 concept, moved from HBO to Showtime with Floyd. It's hard to blame the network or shoulder programming when it's the same guy behind both.

after every May fight these rumors get thrown around

Iole is a clown

Iole has been wrong about buyrates in the past (UFC 158 comes to mind), but Rafael throwing in 2 sources gives the rumor some weight in my eyes. Where there's smoke there's fire.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Don't expect better for the next fight after the Guerrero fight, everyone knows he'll beat whoever he fights easily.

Tekniqs

Co-sign, Rios may be coming off a loss but he's still young and can take a punch.

and those are qualities we're supposed to be impressed with? Pacquiao SHOULD easily win the fight. I doubt Bradley wants to come anywhere near Pac since he was gifted a victory.

I seriously doubt Pac/May happening ever. Pac has no bargaining chips left

abuC

and those are qualities we're supposed to be impressed with? Pacquiao SHOULD easily win the fight. I doubt Bradley wants to come anywhere near Pac since he was gifted a victory.

I seriously doubt Pac/May happening ever. Pac has no bargaining chips left

He's a good match for Pacquiao, are they just supposed to throw Pac in there with one of the best welterweights after the type of loss he had?

I don't know if he should easily win it, but he should win, Rios is a good puncher, good chin, and never stops moving forward.

Tekniqs

He's a good match for Pacquiao, are they just supposed to throw Pac in there with one of the best welterweights after the type of loss he had?

I don't know if he should easily win it, but he should win, Rios is a good puncher, good chin, and never stops moving forward.

coming forward, he's tailor made for pac. of course, he doesn't need to get in there with one of the best right off the bat. But why couldn't he fight Alvarado, who is probably more deserving considering he won against Rios?
Also, isn't Rios coming up to 147lbs for the fight?

coming forward, he's tailor made for pac. of course, he doesn't need to get in there with one of the best right off the bat. But why couldn't he fight Alvarado, who is probably more deserving considering he won against Rios?
Also, isn't Rios coming up to 147lbs for the fight?

Because Alvarado can box and bang. Rios will walk straight in and make Manny look good.

So now we have:
Manny/Rios
Bradley/Marquez

now we just need Alvarado/Provodnikov scheduled!

BadAss2961

HBO Sports president Ross Greenburg, the man behind the 24/7 concept, moved from HBO to Showtime with Floyd. It's hard to blame the network or shoulder programming when it's the same guy behind both..
Wow... What's the deal with HBO Boxing? Losing big fighters and events to Showtime, even the 24/7 guy now.

Heel

119253_4fdzdqyc768ylkwkw3z9fbmbb46zle396kbbl724.jpg

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Soooooooooo.... Shane Mosley fought yesterday, nobody talked about it?

I like Froch a lot. I would like to see him fight Ward again, but I don't think Ward will travel to the UK.

I guess that the ideal situation would be:

Hopkins wins his mandatory.
Fights Ward.
Froch fights Pascal/Bute winner.
Then we get the two winners against each other....which would hopefully = Froch/Ward 2.

ZoddGutts

Froch doesn't stand a chance against Ward. He really didn't show much on a technical level with Kessler. He just threw a shit load of punches with not so great percentage of landing punches at that. Ward is a better defender and would block/avoid most of Froch punches unlike Kessler. Froch also throws a ton of wild/wide punches, easy for Ward to avoid/counter. I'll be another repeat of Ward schooling Froch on a technical level, so I'll be another boring ass fight.

so I'll be another boring ass fight.

So....it'll be an Andre Ward fight?

There isn't much for either guy to do. Froch can beat everyone except Ward. One last shot in front of a huge crowd in the UK would make mad $$$ for everyone involved.

As for Ward, he can take his boring mean mugging style and fight in front of 537 people in Oakland forever. I guess he could unify at light heavy. Maybe we even get Ward/Dawson 2!

Tom_Cody

Regarding Ward-Froch 2, what's the rush? As of right now no one credibly believes that Froch would win.

Froch can make big money fighting in the UK against Stieglitz, Hopkins (at a catch weight), or a third fight with Kessler. Andre Dirrell is also one more fight away from being a good match for Froch.

Ward is simply too clearly better than everyone else in the division. I would love to see all those match-ups for Froch but I'm not sure where Ward fits in.

Tom_Cody

I just noticed that Lara is fighting Angulo on June 8th. I still believe that he could beat Alvarez. If Lara can come out with an impressive win over Angulo he could complicate things at 154. After beating Trout Canello is being presented as -the- guy at 154 and yet Lara has been waiting in the wings.

Top Bottom