• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Boxing Discussion

Martinez is out until the first half of 2014 according to fartnews.

WBC is having a box off to install an interim champ....with no announced participants that will prob be finished by the time he's ready to come back.

GGG vs Kid Chocolate then?

Tom_Cody

Chavez Jr.'s got a good chin. The thing about Sergio is that, like most fighters, he might start to lose it fast. I know he got a late start to his career, but 38 years old is 38 years old and father time is undefeated.
Martinez should just go into semi-retirement. I don't think anyone would blame him.

There are big money fights out there for him against Canelo and Chavez jr. (and maybe Golovkin and Ward). I think he is at the point in his career where he can just cherry pick opportunities.

Sorry for the double post, but this deserved a bump. It's over. Thompson wins by knockout.

There goes the career of David Price. I must admit I'm laughing really hard right now. That's what you get for underestimating Tony Thompson.

I'd love to see Thompson get off his ass and train again and then knock out Fury.

LOL. Thompson needs to go away. Wlad/Thompson 3: Insomnia Cure is heating up!

Edit: Thompson could wreck a couple of prospects. He would ether Seth Mitchell. Great step up fight for Wilder or Jennings. I think he could knock off Tyson Fury. Crap. All these prospects are terrible. Joe Hipp would beat them all.

I know no one cares about him, but Omar Chavez is fighting tonight. No clue about it being televised in the states... maybe if you get the "Azteca TV" channel or something.

jimbor

Banned
Bet four hundred quid on Thompson via stoppage last night but was pissed off when I won as I was going to stick two grand on (which would've got me ten back) until my other half went nuts at me.

Still, two grand back is nothing to be sniffed at.

TuXx

I'm actually more excited for Garcia vs Matthysse. Someone is gonna get stopped in that fight, most likely Danny.

Floyd vs Canelo is just gonna be a 12 round boxing lesson. Floyd is gonna outbox that kid's ears off.

I do.....

I'll be watching.

I'm gonna watch it as well, but i'm not expecting a good fight...why?... the Pac/Bradley fight was a boring fight... bradley hardly threw punches, and now he is going up against a counter-puncher?... it's gonna be a snooze fest. And i've also lost all respect for marquez... ducking pacquiao after all the times he gave Marquez rematch after rematch.

It's certainly a significant fight, and iboth guys will bring it.

Will it be a better event than Mayweather/Alverez? Nope.

Will it be even a blip on the casual fans radar? Nope.

Will it be more exciting than watching Floyd box a gassed Canelos ears off for 12 rounds? I'm thinking yes.

jimbor

Banned
I'm gonna watch it as well, but i'm not expecting a good fight...why?... the Pac/Bradley fight was a boring fight... bradley hardly threw punches, and now he is going up against a counter-puncher?... it's gonna be a snooze fest. And i've also lost all respect for marquez... ducking pacquiao after all the times he gave Marquez rematch after rematch.

What's to be gained from Marquez vs Pac again? Marquez got jobbed previously and finally took it out of the judges hands.

As for Marquez - Bradley, I don't see it being a snoozefest as Timmy's noggin always makes it interesting.

What's to be gained from Marquez vs Pac again? Marquez got jobbed previously and finally took it out of the judges hands.

Not in the majority of peoples minds, you know... the one's who will remember his legacy... to most of them all that mattered were the judges decision, and more than a few will remember him by saying... oh yeah!, the one who was scared of giving pacquiao a rematch?

jimbor

Banned
Not in the majority of peoples minds, you know... the one's who will remember his legacy... to most of them all that mattered were the judges decision, and more than a few will remember him by saying... oh yeah!, the one who was scared of giving pacquiao a rematch?

Outside of the Pac obsessives, I've yet to hear anybody say anything approaching that level of ignorance. The ones most likely to remember his legacy ie true boxing fans will know the truth of the situation.

Outside of the Pac obsessives, I've yet to hear anybody say anything approaching that level of ignorance. The ones most likely to remember his legacy ie true boxing fans will know the truth of the situation.
Yeah, it's cute when the fly by night boxing fans come up with stuff like that. Calling Marquez, or any fighter for that matter, a coward automatically gets a wave of the hand from me; can't take anything else seriously from that person's mouth.

abuC

It's certainly a significant fight, and iboth guys will bring it.

Will it be a better event than Mayweather/Alverez? Nope.

Will it be even a blip on the casual fans radar? Nope.

Will it be more exciting than watching Floyd box a gassed Canelos ears off for 12 rounds? I'm thinking yes.

Word, the Headbutt machine always brings it and so does JMM.

TuXx

Matthysse vs Garcia confirmed to be the co-main event for Mayweather vs Canelo.

This card is definitely gonna break the 2.4 million PPV record.

abuC

Matthysse vs Garcia confirmed to be the co-main event for Mayweather vs Canelo.

This card is definitely gonna break the 2.4 million PPV record.

tree-denard-maize-rage1_thumb.gif

SUPREME1

Banned
I am genuinely excited about this card.

Was already, but now I'm hyped through the roof.

Card of the year. Easily.

Edit: I don't see how it'll be co-main event though. Mayweather not letting that happen. No way. It'll be a featured undercard (does that make sense?).

jimbor

Banned
I am genuinely excited about this card.

Was already, but now I'm hyped through the roof.

Card of the year. Easily.

Edit: I don't see how it'll be co-main event though. Mayweather not letting that happen. No way. It'll be a featured undercard (does that make sense?).

It is the best card for a while but that just confirms how shitty ppvs are nowadays.

SUPREME1

Banned

No need for a 5th fight.

The first 3 were close, coulda gone eother way. Marquez ended it in grand fashion.

TuXx

Put the crack pipe down son, no way. I'll happily take a ban bet on that.

I was a bit overhyped when they announced the fight, but this card has the potential to break the record. I wouldn't be surprised if it did.

The only road block I see is Canelo's inability to promote himself to the casual market since he can't speak a lick of english and the fight not being on Cinco de Mayo.

TuXx

As for Marquez - Bradley, I don't see it being a snoozefest as Timmy's noggin always makes it interesting.

Legacy wise, Marquez has nothing to gain from the fight, but legacy don't pay the bills. Money will talk again. Marquez will get a bigger pay day, the fans will get another exciting fight and Pac will get a deserved rematch. It's a win-win for everyone.

Legacy wise, Marquez has nothing to gain from the fight, but legacy don't pay the bills. Money will talk again. Marquez will get a bigger pay day, the fans will get another exciting fight and Pac will get a deserved rematch. It's a win-win for everyone.

Marquez has said he doesn't care about the money, he'd prefer to have the lasting memory.

ie/ they're going to have to offer him way more than they are...

Tom_Cody

Molina/Bey was a lot of fun, especially for Shobox which is usually boring to bad. Bey had no idea what even happened when he was sitting on his stool so he was definitely out on his feet there.
Unbelievable fight. These are the fights that remind you why you love boxing. What drama.

I've seen Molina fight ~5 times before but I had never seen Bey. Bey controlled the fight with his boxing for the first few rounds, then Molina started to walk him down, then Bey began to fight Molina's fight and take over with his shorter punches and superior hand speed. The narrative for the second have of the fight seemed to be that Bey had fought Molina's fight and beat him at his own game, in the process emerging as a new top name at 135. Even though Bey was clearly winning those rounds, they were still entertaining.

I did't see the stoppage coming at all. I was actually feeling depressed for Molina's career prospects going into the 12th round and out of nowhere he lands a clean shot that dazes Bey, he scrambles and throws everything he has at him ultimately stopping him on his feet. My god.

Ah, okay, nevermind then. I just saw only the stoppage and thought that might've been a bit early. Then again, better stop early, he was taking some shots there.
He landed like 20 unanswered punches. I have no compalints about the stoppage. Bey was completely disoriented for ~5 minutes after the stoppage. They had a camera in his corner and he kept asking what had happened. It was a pretty sad sight especially since you could see that some of his lower teeth had been broken in the fight.

Edit: I just re-watched the final round. I can see why some would see it as a fast stoppage if they hadn't watched the entire fight. it was a slug fest and both fighters were totally exhausted. The key thing to pay attention to is that Bey was throwing nothing back and Molina was landing bombs, even if he looked exhausted while doing so.

Top Bottom