• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Boxing Discussion

I am officially renaming Nohito Arakawa "Tetsuo, The Iron Man".

Edit-Fuck an interview, take that man to a hospital! His dome is swole like a muthafucka!

I agree with Berto though; he should have been given and eight count. He was up early, and though he wobbled a bit, the ref should have finished the count then assessed him. Early stoppage, but doesn't change the fact that Berto is done.

Tom_Cody

I agree with Berto though; he should have been given and eight count. He was up early, and though he wobbled a bit, the ref should have finished the count then assessed him. Early stoppage, but doesn't change the fact that Berto is done.
I don't think it was early at all. His corner should have stopped the fight a few rounds prior to that. He couldn't use his right arm, had no chance to win, and he was taking huge shots. Yes, he was landing some in return, but not enough to win any of those rounds.

I don't think it was early at all. His corner should have stopped the fight a few rounds prior to that. He couldn't use his right arm, had no chance to win, and he was taking huge shots. Yes, he was landing some in return, but not enough to win any of those rounds.
Berto fought better with one hand than when he had the use of two. He even dropped Soto Karass with a wicked body shot, and tightened up the scorecards going into the 12th. Why not give him a full 8 count? The ref didn't even look into his eyes; he just saw him wobble slightly, and stopped it after a count of 5. After the two wars that were fought that night, you want them to treat Berto with kid gloves?

Berto fought better with one hand than when he had the use of two. He even dropped Soto Karass with a wicked body shot, and tightened up the scorecards going into the 12th. Why not give him a full 8 count? The ref didn't even look into his eyes; he just saw him wobble slightly, and stopped it after a count of 5. After the two wars that were fought that night, you want them to treat Berto with kid gloves?

I think it had more to do with Berto looking to a random corner and not the ref.

Tom_Cody

I can totally see where you're coming from. I guess one always views these situations with the narrative of the fight they have in mind leading up to the stoppage.

On my card Soto Karass was far ahead and I view the official scores as a disgrace (many boxing pundits have been vocal on this point as well). Also, I don't buy that Karass was injured at all in the knockdown. To me that was flopping plain simple. He was hoping the ref would deduct a point from Berto for a low blow and instead the ref gave Berto for a KD (I agree with this call from the ref, flopping shouldn't be rewarded). Soto Karass went on to dominate the rest of that round.

As I said in my other post, my view was that an injured fighter was getting beaten up with no chance to win. I totally agree with the ref but I see where you are coming from.

I can totally see where you're coming from. I guess one always views these situations with the narrative of the fight they have in mind leading up to the stoppage.

On my card Soto Karass was far ahead and I view the official scores as a disgrace (many boxing pundits have been vocal on this point as well). Also, I don't buy that Karass was injured at all in the knockdown. To me that was flopping plain simple. He was hoping the ref would deduct a point from Berto for a low blow and instead the ref gave Berto for a KD (I agree with this call from the ref, flopping shouldn't be rewarded). Soto Karass went on to dominate the rest of that round.

As I said in my other post, my view was that an injured fighter was getting beaten up with no chance to win. I totally agree with the ref but I see where you are coming from.
If the ref had given the full count, then looked at Berto and determined he was done, I wouldn't have complained. As it is now, I'm not particularly upset by the way it turned out, but I can understand Berto's frustration. Yeah I agree that Karass was winning by a larger margin in my head; he did slow down a bit, letting Berto get off some good left hooks and uppers. Karass was hurt by that body shot, but he tried to fake it and get a low blow call, which the ref correctly saw right through. He came out winging in the very next round though, and snatched the momentum back. I was never on the Berto bandwagon; he's a gutsy guy, but just doesn't have the talent to be on that elite level.

Curtis Stevens almost killed Saul Roman with that left hook. Damn!

He's from my hometown too. Brownsville Brooklyn has produced some stellar boxing talent over the years.

abuC

My gym has a boxing ring and sparring now, there's this young girl there that hits harder than most of the boys there, it's really shocking to hear it. Anytime she's in the ring working the pads everyone stops and watches. The next time she's there I'm going to record the sound, won't take any video of her since I'm assuming she's a minor. I wouldn't be shocked if she ends up a pro, she seems like the best prospect out of all the kids there.

Yeah, that was an eye opener. I really hope Wilder turns out to be good; the heavies need a good spark, and a big, strong, heavyweight with scary KO power is always good for boxing.

I'd like him to fight more and keep stepping up the competition.

He was barely touched last night, he could fight in Sept or Oct. They just need to find someone durable to let him get rounds. A dec/jan fight against the Arreola/Mitchell winner would be nice too.

That said, he'll be back in March 2014 against Dominic Guinn.

I'm a bit late on this, but is there any chance Wilder starts fighting something other than cans soon? He needs solid experience before trying to get a title (shot).

He needs to fight someone that can give him rounds. That's a priority. If he fights more, he could fight someone durable in Sept then another step up in Dec.

I have no idea who's even out there at this point who's able to go rounds. James Toneys corpse? I think David Tua is fighting soon. Both of them are low risk, and would be able to let WIlder get work in.

I would love to see him against Bermaine Stiverne. He looked extremely improved and dangerous against Arreolla in his last fight. That would be a hell of a fight, but I seriously doubt they would risk Wilder against him at this point.

TuXx

Screen_Shot_2013-07-07_at_2.59.53_AM_medium.png

Sounds more like someone is having problems making weight.

Fight News says:
WBC heavyweight world champion Vitali Klitschko was in Mexico City to meet with WBC President Jose Sulaiman about his mandatory fight. the 42-year-old Klitschko says he hurt his right hand in training and therefore won’t be able to fight Bermaine Stiverne on the date scheduled for his mandatory. Klitschko is hoping that physiotherapy will render surgery unnecessary. The WBC will give Vitali the opportunity to make a full recovery so he can return to the ring in March or April of 2014.

I don't even like Berman Stiverne and I feel bad for the dude. He's fought and won TWO eliminators. Now he has to wait even longer. Vitali should be stripped and let Berman and whoever fight for the title. If Vitali wants to come back he can be "champion emeritus" till he's ready instead of holding the belt and Stivernes career hostage

The WBC also stripped Andre Ward for being on the shelf for 8 months. Vitali hasn't fought since Sept 2012.

jchap

There was just a fantastic uppercut knockout on the Cleverly/Kovalev undercard. Gary Buckland got Paquiao'd

I like Stiverne, but the guy hasn't exactly impressed me and let's be honest, he won't beat either of the Klitschkos. Should Wladimir beat Povetkin they should just put him against Stiverne for all titles. Easy fight for Wladimir, title shot/pay day for Stiverne.

Either Klit wrecks him, but he's earned the right to fight for the title by the WBC rules. If Arreola beats Mitchell, they could rematch. If he really wants it, sitting out another 6/8 months ain't going to help.

Tonight's fights should be fun, I should get home from work JUST in time for the start on HBO

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
Cleverly got wrecked.. but anyone who doesn't listen to British homers knows that he had never been tested by someone anywhere close to Kovalev.. and anyone who's seen Kovalev coming up knew the guy was legit.

What was a little surprising is how easy it was for Kovalev.

Also the Barker v Geale was a great fight, happy for Barker.. seems like a good guy.

Top Bottom