• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Boxing Discussion

Pathetic performance by Chavez... what a disgrace... those judges surely were paid by his daddy... what fight did they watch?... i am livid right now... FUCK.

AlexBasch

BVTowmICMAE8M2E.jpg:large
The cards, in case someone is curious.

Fucking hell, forget about the unanimous decision. It's the 98-92 that buggers me the fuck out. What the hell, judge?

Chavez's face after the decision was announced depicted the fact that he knew he didn't win... that wasn't a joyful face... he seemed ashamed... as well he should be... fucking disgrace... what a fucking joke... days like this make me hate my sport of choice.

CJ Ross was with us in spirit in Carson tonight.

At least all the shitty judges were there and not at the kickboxing show in Ontario which was awesome.. It was Glory Kickboxing and will air on CBS Sports on Sunday and was an amazing card top to bottom FYI. After this all the Glory shows will be airing on Spike starting Oct 12th.

Tom_Cody

Chavez's face after the decision was announced depicted the fact that he knew he didn't win... that wasn't a joyful face... he seemed ashamed... as well he should be... fucking disgrace... what a fucking joke... days like this make me hate my sport of choice.
I wanted to throw a brick at my TV during his interview with Jim Lampley. What a self-entitled asshole.

abuC

I hope Chavez makes the mistake of getting in the ring with GGG, can't stand Chavez essentially fighting middleweights while he's the size of a light heavy the night of the fight.

Tom_Cody

Btw, does anyone know if Chavez is actually planning to return to the ring at 160? Prior to his layoff he was coming into the ring at close to 180 and I doubt his year off will result in him coming down in weight.
Just quoting to point out that I predicted Chavez's weight issue back in April.

Are these fights on PPV in Europe? Floyd might have that in mind. Not that that is an excuse. Khan hasn't earned anything resembling a shot. Hopefully if FLoyd follows pattern it'll be one cake walk fight followed by a tougher fight in September.

Tom_Cody

Amir Khan wins the Floyd Mayweather lottery.

Mayweather -1100
Khan +600

lol
It still hasn't been confirmed and I don't believe that this will happen in the way that it has been rumored (Khan will skip the Devon Alexander and move directly to Mayweather). Khan at least needs to fight Devon Alexander first for this to be plausible. Let him win two fights in a row and then we can talk about him fighting Mayweather.

Better options:

-Timothy Bradly: If he can beat Juan Manuel Marquez in a few weeks he will be an ideal candidate. He will be undefeated with wins over many of the top fighters between 140-147. Yes, the Pac victory is sketchy but he will still have a better resume than anyone else.

-Danny Garcia: Undefeated and the consensus number 1 at 140. I would personally prefer to see him have a few fights at 147 before challenging Mayweather but he is red hot following the Matthysse fight.

-Alvarado vs. Provodnikov: This will likely be a fight of the year candidate and it is taking place at 147. The winner obviously won't have the glowing name value but he would still make for an attractive match-up vs. Mayweather. Aggression always sells tickets. Unfortunately this won't happen because this fight is only being staged to set up Manny Pacquiao's next opponent.

-Pacquiao: Still the biggest money fight out there for Mayweather. I still believe this will happen eventually, but I would put my money on 2015 over 2014.

These days, you can't let it go to the judges. Even if you know you are ahead on points, you gotta do everything to KO or get KO'd those last couple rounds. You are most likely going to lose anyway if you let it go to the cards.

It still hasn't been confirmed and I don't believe that this will happen in the way that it has been rumored (Khan will skip the Devon Alexander and move directly to Mayweather). Khan at least needs to fight Devon Alexander first for this to be plausible. Let him win two fights in a row and then we can talk about him fighting Mayweather.

Better options:

-Timothy Bradly: If he can beat Juan Manuel Marquez in a few weeks he will be an ideal candidate. He will be undefeated with wins over many of the top fighters between 140-147. Yes, the Pac victory is sketchy but he will still have a better resume than anyone else.

-Danny Garcia: Undefeated and the consensus number 1 at 140. I would personally prefer to see him have a few fights at 147 before challenging Mayweather but he is red hot following the Matthysse fight.

-Alvarado vs. Provodnikov: This will likely be a fight of the year candidate and it is taking place at 147. The winner obviously won't have the glowing name value but he would still make for an attractive match-up vs. Mayweather. Aggression always sells tickets. Unfortunately this won't happen because this fight is only being staged to set up Manny Pacquiao's next opponent.

-Pacquiao: Still the biggest money fight out there for Mayweather. I still believe this will happen eventually, but I would put my money on 2015 over 2014.

Pacquiao and Bradley are not options considering who they are represented by and what cable network they fight on. Arum's bitter ass is not going to help Floyd make another $50 million.

If they both keep winning, I could see Floyd vs Manny being the last fight of the showtime contract. If it's ever going to happen, that would be the time. Big $ fight right before it's time to either retire or sign another deal.

Tom_Cody

Pacquiao and Bradley are not options considering who they are represented by and what cable network they fight on. Arum's bitter ass is not going to help Floyd make another $50 million.
I largely agree but I think that Floyd's heft could make those fights happen.

Bradley could stand to make ~$5M vs. Floyd as opposed to ~$1-2 against other fighters. I mean, how many people are actually going to buy his fight against Marquez? 500k? Mosley left Goldenboy in order to fight Pac. There is a certain financial tipping point where these divisions start to break down.

Regarding Pac, I firmly believe that fight will happen, and when it does it will be a joint venture between Top Rank, Mayweather, and Goldenboy. There is just too much money in that fight for it to never happen.

Tom_Cody

Wow, Povetkin is actually in shape. I'm honestly surprised.
I'm really excited for this fight. While I don't pick Povetkin to win, he is without a doubt the best opponent Klitschko has faced. Undefeated, Olympic gold medalist, relatively younger. This reminds me of the Mayweather-Canelo match-up in some ways. One fighter is the prohibitive favorite, but his opponent is just about the best fighter on paper that you could put up against him.

I'm really excited for this fight. While I don't pick Povetkin to win, he is without a doubt the best opponent Klitschko has faced. Undefeated, Olympic gold medalist, relatively younger. This reminds me of the Mayweather-Canelo match-up in some ways. One fighter is the prohibitive favorite, but his opponent is just about the best fighter on paper that you could put up against him.

Let's not get too crazy here, Povetkin went life and death with Marco Huck.

Wlad UD 12.

muddream

Banned
Povotkin's fact sheet should just say "bad". Not Audley Harrison bad, just bad in the most average fashion. The only good HW besides the Klits is David Haye, who they'll continue to avoid.

The man just mollywhopped the great red hope. What's next? "Stop ducking Andre Ward, Floyd."

He's a fraud until he steps in the ring with my man GGG, same goes for Candre Ward.

SUPREME1

Banned
The man just mollywhopped the great red hope. What's next? "Stop ducking Andre Ward, Floyd."

He's the GSP of boxing. I don't mean that as a slight, either. It's just that he doesn't go for the stoppage because he'd rather not put himself in danger.

I works. Why mess with what works, right?

abuC

Floyd needs to step up to the plate and challenge Dr. Ironfist.

They can meet at a 210lbs catchweight, stop ducking him Floyd!

Tom_Cody

Let's not get too crazy here, Povetkin went life and death with Marco Huck.

Wlad UD 12.

Povotkin's fact sheet should just say "bad". Not Audley Harrison bad, just bad in the most average fashion. The only good HW besides the Klits is David Haye, who they'll continue to avoid.
But David Haye got KOed by Carl Thompson.

In a perfect world the top non-Klitschko heavyweights would fight each other more and we would have a better sense of the top 10 beyond the top 2. Unfortunately that is not the case so we can't really know. IMO Povetkin's record is at least as good as Haye's was when he went into his fight with Wlad.

Besides, that's beside the point I was trying to make in my post. Wlad already fought Haye. My point is the Povetkin represents the best of what's left.

Until all the also rans start fighting each other to establish a real contender, its hard to get excited about someone with a shit resume fighting Wlad.

Wlad will jab a million times and Povetkin will be unable to slip it. Rinse and repeat.

jimbor

Banned
But David Haye got KOed by Carl Thompson.

In a perfect world the top non-Klitschko heavyweights would fight each other more and we would have a better sense of the top 10 beyond the top 2. Unfortunately that is not the case so we can't really know. IMO Povetkin's record is at least as good as Haye's was when he went into his fight with Wlad.

Besides, that's beside the point I was trying to make in my post. Wlad already fought Haye. My point is the Povetkin represents the best of what's left.

He was stopped on his feet by Thompson. Booth threw in the towel.

I'm hoping that being in shape and having the entire arena on his side will push him to a good performance.

Though, being in his home turf, I hadn't even considered the possibility of LOL BOXING scoring. He could win by split decision.....

Tom_Cody

Have you seen Povetkin-Huck? This fight isn't gonna end with a decision.
I don't know why people keep obsessing over Povetkin's performance in that one fight against Huck. I'm not saying I know the outcome, but remember that Wlad has been knocked out 3 times and knocked-\ down in numerous other fights. You can't judge a fighter over one performance.

Povetkin's broader record and pedigree speak to his quality as a fighter. He still the best (or just about the best) of what's out there.

muddream

Banned
He's too slow, short and bad to get around Wlad's jab...but keep telling yourself it ain't a squash match to get excited about a Klit fight.

Tom_Cody

Is anybody expecting Povetkin to pose any threat? He's been going backwards for years, Atlas really fucked him up.
I don't know how you can blame Atlas. He left the Povetkin camp because they didn't give him as much control as he wanted. That Povetkin's conditioning has only declined since he left would seem to indicate that he left for a reason.

jimbor

Banned
I don't know how you can blame Atlas. He left the Povetkin camp because they didn't give him as much control as he wanted. That Povetkin's conditioning has only declined since he left would seem to indicate that he left for a reason.

He seemed to be on the up until getting Atlas in and then instead of merely stagnating got worse. Bit too much of a coincidence for me.

Tom_Cody

jimbor

Banned
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Correlation_does_not_imply_causation

Atlas left because of problems in his camp which to me implies that he saw further problems coming. It is bizarre to imply that he created them. What is your conspiracy theory? In what way do you think Atlas contaminated him?

Suggesting Atlas (who became Povetkin's trainer a few years back) is responsible for the backwards trajectory of the boxer he's training in that time span is a conspiracy theory? Whatever, man. Atlas does what's best for Atlas, he's a bitter old fuck and wasn't good for Povetkin.

That correlation/causation bullshit is irrelevant here.

Tom_Cody

Suggesting Atlas (who became Povetkin's trainer a few years back) is responsible for the backwards trajectory of the boxer he's training in that time span is a conspiracy theory? Whatever, man. Atlas does what's best for Atlas, he's a bitter old fuck and wasn't good for Povetkin.

That correlation/causation bullshit is irrelevant here.
I make it a rule to avoid back and forth arguments on GAF but I just literally don't understand what your trying to say.

Atlas trained Povetkin for 2.5 years out of Povetkin's lifetime spent with the sport. I just don't understand what you think Atlas could have done to negatively impact him after they parted ways. Sometimes things don't work out between fighters and trainers, but I can't think of a single of other example in boxing of the phenomenon you are describing.

jimbor

Banned
I make it a rule to avoid back and forth arguments on GAF but I just literally don't understand what your trying to say.

Atlas trained Povetkin for 2.5 years out of Povetkin's lifetime spent with the sport. I just don't understand what you think Atlas could have done to negatively impact him after they parted ways. Sometimes things don't work out between fighters and trainers, but I can't think of a single of other example in boxing of the phenomenon you are describing.

You can't think of fighters that get negatively impacted by trainers? Are you kidding me? If trainers are so irrelevant, why do boxers bother having them at all? I just literally don't understand what you're trying to say.

Tom_Cody

You can't think of fighters that get negatively impacted by trainers? Are you kidding me? If trainers are so irrelevant, why do boxers bother having them at all? I just literally don't understand what you're trying to say.
I'm pretty sure I addressed that in my last post.
Again, sometimes things don't work out between fighters and trainers. Of course that sometimes happens. What I'm saying is that I don't know of any examples of trainers ruining fighters in such a way that they are left in a permanently altered state after they have parted ways. Povetkin has been boxing for his entire life and he won a gold medal in 2004. I don't know what you think that Atlas in 2.5 years to poison this.

Anyway, I guess we just disagree. I have nothing more to add.

Tom_Cody

Sorry for nitpicking, but it was 2004.

I think Atlas is partially to blame, given that Povetkin switched his fighting style under him (to the worse I would say), but you can't blame him for Povetkin showing up chubby against Huck. He didn't ruin Povetkin, Povetkin has to take care of himself. Same with Odlanier Solis, who apparently has been pretty out of shape lately*.

*Haven't watched his last fights, can't say if that's true.
I'm completely fine with that response. Sorry for making this discussion negative.

Heel

I don't think it's far-fetched to believe a trainer can instill bad habits in a fighter that will remain ingrained in them, even after parting ways. I've seen fighters "go back to their old ways" in the heat of a fight many times. This isn't exclusive to combat sports, either.

muddream

Banned
Fury is jobbing for Haye, Helenius is garbage and they're gonna keep the great black hope Deontay Wilder far away from the Klits until they retire.

Haye fight/rematch will be the only meaningful fight left in either bro's career.

Top Bottom