• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Boxing Discussion

He would've won until he was forcefully removed from consciousness? lol

Lucky shot, that's what it was, Pacquiao came close to having the fight stopped as well IIRC, and if Marquez is so confident in his skills... then why not return the favor and grant him a re-match?, i know why... because he is scared. (and the judges wouldn't dare steal Marquez of a decision win this time after all the complaints of the previous bouts)

ZoddGutts

I'm hoping for Bradley to continue he's lucky ass winning streak and beat Marquez and eventually fight Mayweather and beat him too. Shit would be crazy. lol

Anyways Martinez Vs Canelo would be a great fight, Martinez has slowed down, so unless he returns as to how he was 2 years ago, I can see him being caught by Canelo.

Tom_Cody

That wasn't a lucky shot.. Marquez was timing that shot all night. Half step back straight right.

Here he is praticing the same shot in sparring..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgmtZOCNUOI
Lucky...

His sparring partner did the same exact thing as pacquiao too. throw a weak ass jab and got caught.
Awesome video.

I can't help but be reminded of Jhonny Gonzalez's recent KO over Abner Mares. He was clearly looking for that one left hook from the open bell on. He landed it perfectly and out went Mares. The reason I bring it up is that Gonzalez was trained by Nacho Beristáin for that fight.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHp_CIBpx50

Tom_Cody

Of course you can blame him for having an overall flawed strategy and for just eating those jabs and punches. He should've stuck with the strategy from the first two rounds, at least then he would've stood a chance. Well, there's a bigger chance he would've gotten knocked out, but at least he might've gotten through.
Well, yeah. lol.

Pretty sure a rematch would be a tough sell in most of his regular markets. Crush a can, then fight Pulev who has the IBF title shot if I'm not mistaken. If Povetkin had no chance I wouldn't put money on Pulev either, but at least he's promising.

Give me Povetkin vs. the winner of Fury/Haye. I don't think I want Povetkin fight another one below heavyweight. Thompson is good, but he's also getting old and obviously only in it for as much money before his retirement as possible. I'd love Povetkin-Wilder though, but chances are Wilder is busy with cans.

Again, my comment about a rematch is predicated on Povetkin getting a few quality against good guys. Just look at the amount of hype Marquez and Cotto have gained recently against single sensational KO wins. Imagine if Povetkin scores a KO win over Tomasz Adamek or David Haye? His reputation will be stronger than it was going in to his recent fight with Wlad.

Tom_Cody

I don't know. Whatever people think of their fight, he lost every single round.

Povetkin needs to rebuild his image, present himself as the "new" Povetkin and he'll need a big win for that, but will he take the risk of "burying" his career just for a rematch? I guess the winner of Haye/Fury is the only one big enough for a fight, would they even take the risk? I hope Povetkin gets motivated by this and manages to come back, but I'm not sure if that's even possible given the current state of the heavyweight division.

Maybe a bout with Vitali, who is rumored to be looking for a glamorous last fight?
I can't claim to be a lifetime fan of the sport but I've been following it closely for almost 10 years. In that time I've seen countless cycles of: prominent fighter loses in embarrassing fashion, his fan base runs away, he then beats 1-3 made to order opponents, and then the attention/respect comes back. I mean, just look at the praise Cotto has gotten on our forum for beating -Delvin Rodriguez-.
So cotto...looks , well, fucking ridiculously good.

Makes me tingly inside.
Miguel.
Fucking.
Cotto.
I mean Sam Peters shot to near the top of the division with a KO of Jeremy Williams (though it was pretty)!

My point is this: Povetkin still has a solid foundation for promotion. He's an Olympic gold medalist and his only loss is to Wlad and it is a decision loss. If you look at Wlad's other dance partners from the last 5 years, Povetkin still looks more appealing than almost all of those. Let him beat a few top 10 (or even top 20) fighters and I believe there will again be demand for to face Wlad. If he can get a highlight reel KO in on of those fights and people will be absolutely clamoring for him to face him again.

Povetkin could fight his way into a manditory spot and Wlad would definitely rematch him. Wlad fought Tony Thompson twice, and there certainly wasn't a groundswell of public support for it. Of course, that would require top 15 heavys to fight each other, so who knows.

Broner vs. Maidana is officially set for December 14 on PPV.
Ah can't wait to set my DVR for that on---

Oh wait, PPV?

stephen-a-smith-laugh.gif

Worst PPV matchup since either Hopkins/Dawson I or Mosley/Mora.

jimbor

Banned
That wasn't a lucky shot.. Marquez was timing that shot all night. Half step back straight right.

Here he is praticing the same shot in sparring..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgmtZOCNUOI
Lucky...

His sparring partner did the same exact thing as pacquiao too. throw a weak ass jab and got caught.

Exactly. How anybody can call that a lucky punch is ridiculous. I remember people saying the same thing when Martinez pancaked Williams.

Lucky shot, that's what it was, Pacquiao came close to having the fight stopped as well IIRC, and if Marquez is so confident in his skills... then why not return the favor and grant him a re-match?, i know why... because he is scared. (and the judges wouldn't dare steal Marquez of a decision win this time after all the complaints of the previous bouts)

This is all crazy talk. If I'm scared of a guy, I don't fight him four fucking times! Then to get called a coward because he won't fight him a 5th time? Fuck outta here.

I guess it was lucky when he knocked Pacquiao down with that same punch in the third? Pac made it even easier when he ran in with his hands down in the sixth. The fight was never close to being stopped either. It's almost as if you didn't even watch the fight, but heard about it from a Pac fan.

This is all crazy talk. If I'm scared of a guy, I don't fight him four fucking times! Then to get called a coward because he won't fight him a 5th time? Fuck outta here.

I guess it was lucky when he knocked Pacquiao down with that same punch in the third? Pac made it even easier when he ran in with his hands down in the sixth. The fight was never close to being stopped either. It's almost as if you didn't even watch the fight, but heard about it from a Pac fan.

The knockdown wasn't the same punch. The knockdown punch was a big overhand right that wasn't a counter. The KO punch was a straight right counter that didn't even reach full extension by the time it connected with Pacquiao. Pacquiao leapt into that punch with his jab-right hook combo but the right hook never came because he was already unconscious.

That punch was the result of circumstances lining up. Pacquiao was putting on the pressure at the end of the round and Marquez threw the punch hoping the timing was right and it was. It wasn't something he set up or knew would land.

This is all crazy talk. If I'm scared of a guy, I don't fight him four fucking times!

And Pacquiao gave him the rematch all of the times that coward asked for them, now that the position has been reversed he won't?... it reeks of being scared, he is getting even older, maybe that's the reason why. I used to like him, he seemed like a cool down to earth fellow on that tv show he co-hosts "golpe a golpe", but ever since that fight and his refusal to grant the rematch... well i no longer watch that show, and the respect i had for him went down the toilet, and no... if he was robbed of a decision or not doesn't make a difference, Pacquiao could've thought: Fuck no!!!, i'm not fighting him again!!!, i got lucky this time!!!, maybe next time i won't be!!! (a boxer knows deep inside him when he loses a fight), so even though he might've known that he didn't win the fights, he didn't deny the rematches... why?, well because he has balls... something that other guy is seemengly lacking...

After all... if he is sure in his abilities... surely he can grant him the rematch. The judges wouldn't dare rob him of a decision win again after the previous fiascos that went down

The knockdown wasn't the same punch. The knockdown punch was a big overhand right that wasn't a counter. The KO punch was a straight right counter that didn't even reach full extension by the time it connected with Pacquiao. Pacquiao leapt into that punch with his jab-right hook combo but the right hook never came because he was already unconscious.

That punch was the result of circumstances lining up. Pacquiao was putting on the pressure at the end of the round and Marquez threw the punch hoping the timing was right and it was. It wasn't something he set up or knew would land.

*applauds in agreement*

The point being, Pac was open for that right hand all night. Whether it was an overhand right, or a right counter, he nailed him with it repeatedly, and Pac never adjusted. Marquez knew he would land it, that's why he trained to catch him with it. He happened to land it at the right time, but in no way was it lucky. The only lucky thing about it was that it happened to knock him unconscious. There is no way to downplay how impressive it was.

And Pacquiao gave him the rematch all of the times that coward asked for them, now that the position has been reversed he won't?... it reeks of being scared, he is getting even older, maybe that's the reason why. I used to like him, he seemed like a cool down to earth fellow on that tv show he co-hosts "golpe a golpe", but ever since that fight and his refusal to grant the rematch... well i no longer watch that show, and the respect i had for him went down the toilet, and no... if he was robbed of a decision or not doesn't make a difference, Pacquiao could've thought: Fuck no!!!, i'm not fighting him again!!!, i got lucky this time!!!, maybe next time i won't be!!! (a boxer knows deep inside him when he loses a fight), so even though he might've known that he didn't win the fights, he didn't deny the rematches... why?, well because he has balls... something that other guy is seemengly lacking...

After all... if he is sure in his abilities... surely he can grant him the rematch. The judges wouldn't dare rob him of a decision win again after the previous fiascos that went down
The mere fact that you call a guy like Marquez, a sure HOF fighter, a coward and ball-less tells me that you are speaking from personal bias rather than logic, so I'll leave this debate alone. I'm done.

I think Marquez is really bitter about the whole Pacquiao thing because he really in his heart feels he beat Pac 3 out of 4 times already. In his mind, and in the stage he is in his career, that issue is settled, and the KO was the monkey being lifted off his back. Saying a guy with the pedigree of Marquez is "afraid" is ridiculous. He has no reason to be afraid of a guy he has fought 4 times already, and stands to make millions of dollars fighting again.

The point being, Pac was open for that right hand all night. Whether it was an overhand right, or a right counter, he nailed him with it repeatedly, and Pac never adjusted. Marquez knew he would land it, that's why he trained to catch him with it. He happened to land it at the right time, but in no way was it lucky. The only lucky thing about it was that it happened to knock him unconscious. There is no way to downplay how impressive it was.

Lucky is probably a bit too far to take it but on the other hand it's also a bit much to talk about it as if Marquez fought the entire fight to lead up to that moment. It was a good strategic move on his part to train for it and he executed it succesfully repeatedly. But he was also losing the fight at that moment. As much as people like to say "Was winning until he lost lol" that's exactly the case. Marquez didn't put on a clearly dominating performance in the fight (edit: for that matter neither did Pacquiao, he was edging the fight at that point). That doesn't take anything away from his win at all. What it does it acknowledge that it's not a case where he's better than Pacquiao and thus doesn't need to fight him again.

It was a great fight like all their previous fights. And it was a close fight that ended with a spectacular KO. But it didn't establish Marquez as a clearly superior fighter and too many people talk as if it did.

I think Marquez is really bitter about the whole Pacquiao thing because he really in his heart feels he beat Pac 3 out of 4 times already. In his mind, and in the stage he is in his career, that issue is settled, and the KO was the monkey being lifted off his back. Saying a guy with the pedigree of Marquez is "afraid" is ridiculous. He has no reason to be afraid of a guy he has fought 4 times already, and stands to make millions of dollars fighting again.

*applauds in agreement*

Lucky is probably a bit too far to take it but on the other hand it's also a bit much to talk about it as if Marquez fought the entire fight to lead up to that moment. It was a good strategic move on his part to train for it and he executed it succesfully repeatedly. But he was also losing the fight at that moment. As much as people like to say "Was winning until he lost lol" that's exactly the case. Marquez didn't put on a clearly dominating performance in the fight (edit: for that matter neither did Pacquiao, he was edging the fight at that point). That doesn't take anything away from his win at all. What it does it acknowledge that it's not a case where he's better than Pacquiao and thus doesn't need to fight him again.

It was a great fight like all their previous fights. And it was a close fight that ended with a spectacular KO. But it didn't establish Marquez as a clearly superior fighter and too many people talk as if it did.

A lot of people think he beat Pac in those other fights too, me included. So in our eyes, he is clearly superior as far as them matching up against each other. And just because Pac had momentum doesn't mean that had the KO not come, Marquez was done, as their past history can attest to. I'm sure that it Marquez' mind he always felt he was better than Pac, and knocking him out solidifies that for him, hence no need for a fifth fight. All that coward and no balls talk is childish and ridiculous.

A lot of people think he beat Pac in those other fights too, me included. So in our eyes, he is clearly superior as far as them matching up against each other. And just because Pac had momentum doesn't mean that had the KO not come, Marquez was done, as their past history can attest to. I'm sure that it Marquez' mind he always felt he was better than Pac, and knocking him out solidifies that for him, hence no need for a fifth fight. All that coward and no balls talk is childish and ridiculous.

And a lot of people think Pac won the previous fights. And a myriad of people think Marquez won some and Pac won others. The fights themselves are a testament to how closely matched the two fighters are. It's no where close to a unanimous opinion amongst fight fans that one or the other won all those previous matchups. That's what facilitates rematches.

If Marquez doesn't want another fight, that's fine. It doesn't matter what his reasons are. But anyone arguing from the stance that he doesn't need to take the fight because he's clearly superior isn't thinking logically about it at all. Thinking that Marquez won the previous fights shouldn't make someone turn a blind eye to the fact they were all close and they were all great fights. That's all that needs to be there to warrant the idea of a rematch.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I missed the fight, thought it would start at around 12am:( Only saw the last three rounds.

Bradley should fight Mayweather no?

edit: that 116-122 was for Marquez, which seems dumb even if I didn't see the fight.

BadAss2961

Bradley won the fight, but at this point, no one should've been surprised had they given it to Marqurez. Bradley coasted a little bit in the last few rounds, which is an easy recipe to get screwed over by the judges.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Yeah Floyd would beat him no doubt but it would still be a good fight. What's the next big fight coming? I got Pac VS Rios for November.

Top Bottom