• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Boxing Discussion

Maybe if Wilder stopped fighting cans. Dude's beating worse guys than Boytsov.

As for the rest:
Haye is an option. He stood no chance in the first fight, but he's agile and clever enough to avoid Povetkin's mistakes.
Boytsov is busy UDing cans.
Pulev is okay, but he's less of a threat than Povetkin.
Robert Helenius is meh.
Fury could be good, but needs to beat Haye.
Solis has gotten fat, Thompson old and Arreola is still Arreola.
Stiverne could get a mercy fight if Vitali doesn't want to do it.
Chisora could come back, at least he'd bring in viewers in Germany.

Edit:
And again I'm sorry for every hyping Povetkin like that.

It's ok. We all want an exciting heavyweight division, sometimes it gets the best of us.

The real problem is no one in the top 10 fighting each other. Stiverne is going to sit on the shelf and wait for whatever Vitali and the WBC are doing. Wilder looks like he's back to Boxcar Willie. I guess he could fight the winner of Fury/Haye, but he will destroy Fury and Haye had his chance and danced for 12 rounds.

This fight was a perfect example of why I hate Wlad. Hurt the dude every time he touched him and knocked him down 4 times and hugs it out and doesn't go for the finish. C'mon bro.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
It bums me out that no one really watches Klitschko fights in the US. Dude just dominated again.

Well, he fought a spoiler filled fight of terribleness.

It's sad, Wlad used to be a fun guy to watch.. but since Manny took him over, and now Banks.. he fights such a defense/clinch-filled style that is painful to watch.

Guy's scary powerful, scary good.. but fuck he's hard to watch now.

It's sad, Wlad used to be a fun guy to watch.. but since Manny took him over, and now Banks.. he fights such a defense/clinch-filled style that is painful to watch.

It's really sad that he made his style shitty. His losses to Purity and Brewster were more an inability to pace himself. He punched himself out and then lost. Brewster clearly landed some big shots, but it looked like Wlad just had nothing left in the tank.

Corrie Sanders fucked him up and it's like ever since then, he won't go all out and take out an opponent he clearly is overmatching/overpowering.

To me, it doesn't matter how many wins he racks up over arguably the worst heavyweight division ever, the lasting impression I have of him is that 12 round snoozefest vs Sultan Ibragimov where he fought scared for the whole fight.

Dude was gonna get killed, early round knock down and after that punch yeah...

Cotto was clearly goin to win, but...He got knocked down. That happens in boxing. Absolutely no reason for the ref to dive on top of him and wave off the fight. Count. If he stands up and is too wobbly, stop it. Robbed Rodruigez of a chance to try to come back, robbed Cotto of a decisive finish.

Prompto

Banned
1.gif

zychi

Banned

It feels like he's trying to get a bigger audience by attempting to fight like mayweather at the heavyweight division. The only problem is that a lot of people find it boring, and yhe inky reason mayweather gets so much attention is because of his mouth and hype skills. While klitz doesnt even get commercials in the US. If the internet didnt exist, i would never know when he fights

It feels like he's trying to get a bigger audience by attempting to fight like mayweather at the heavyweight division. The only problem is that a lot of people find it boring, and yhe inky reason mayweather gets so much attention is because of his mouth and hype skills. While klitz doesnt even get commercials in the US. If the internet didnt exist, i would never know when he fights
I disagree with just about everything in this post.
Wlad couldn't fight like Mayweather if he tried; have you ever seen him shoulder roll or slip a punch?

Watching Mayweather fight is a thing of beauty. Watching Vlad fight is awful. He spent that entire fight holding the other guy down and pushing him. There is very little technical boxing beauty to be found. He's basically just using his size and strength to bully guys around in a way that should lead him to get point deductions.

I find the whole debate about Wladimir pushing his opponents down pretty laughable though. What do you expect if you got that close to someone four inches taller? He either moves back or goes to the clinch. Let's not forget Povetkin ducked so low, he might've given Wlad's balls a headbutt. As for Wladimir not taking any risks, that's likely because his career was almost over eight years ago, after he got knocked out by Brewster. He had to reinvent himself, I'd suggest the pretty good Klitschko documentary for those interested. He got knocked out three times, of course he's not going back to emulating Vitali.

I would expect Vlad to move and counterpunch more than hug and push because it's boxing, not wrestling.

muddream

Banned
The worst aspect of Wlad's boring style is that the general public thinks the same holds true for his lesser known brother. Apart from that 3 year hiatus, this "weak era" has had a HW boxing champion who's legit, basically undefeated, likes to brawl and holds the 2nd highest KO percentage in history. Unfortunately, the only people who know this speak German and they only care about a classy win because after WW2 it's forbidden to enjoy violence in public.

Tom_Cody

I'm a bit late here but I wanted to write some opinions on the Klitschko-Povetkin fight.

Overall I was very disappointed in the fight. Povetkin's only plan seemed to be to try to defeat Wlad's jab with overhand rights while moving forward. Unfortunately Wlad was able to counter using two weapons: 1) using his size and every bit of his weight to clinch and smother while Povetkin was coming in and 2) using his under-appreciated "educated" left hand to seamlessly mix between jabs and hooks to counter/confuse Poketkin's right hands. Poketkin could have done a few things to counter this. He could have tried to mix body shots in with the over-hand rights and he could have used more movement to counter Wlad when he was coming down to clinch. For example he could have taken a half step back and to his left and thrown a right to the body whenever Wlad came in like that. That move would have also nullified Wlad's work with his left hand.

Oh well, I can't blame Povetkin too much. Even when his punches landed they didn't seem to have a much of an effect. Anyone would tire from having 240 lbs laying on top of them and Wlad's hooks and jabs were impacting like hammer blows. For Povetkin to be effective he would have had to out-land Wlad 2 to 1. That said he never even landed 1 to 1 with him.

I find the whole debate about Wladimir pushing his opponents down pretty laughable though. What do you expect if you got that close to someone four inches taller? He either moves back or goes to the clinch. Let's not forget Povetkin ducked so low, he might've given Wlad's balls a headbutt. As for Wladimir not taking any risks, that's likely because his career was almost over eight years ago, after he got knocked out by Brewster. He had to reinvent himself, I'd suggest the pretty good Klitschko documentary for those interested. He got knocked out three times, of course he's not going back to emulating Vitali.
What would I expect him to do? Take a half step back and throw uppercuts or body shots. Once it became clear that Povetkin was in survival mode and was instigating the cliches (or at least was complicit in them) he startered to leave himself super open to this sort of counter attack. This is why I don't enjoy watching Wlad fight. He does a few things very well and does absolutely nothing besides those few moves. This is why any sorts of comparisons to other top fighters ring so hollow; he is nothing close to being a complete technical fighter.

This fight was a perfect example of why I hate Wlad. Hurt the dude every time he touched him and knocked him down 4 times and hugs it out and doesn't go for the finish. C'mon bro.
I am a bit of conspiracy theorist when it comes to boxing. I fully believe that Klitschko carried Povetkin in order to keep the possibility of a rematch open. As terrible as this fight was, Klitschko will still be able to earn at least 5-10 million in a rematch once Povetkin can string together a few more quality wins.

On that note, I am actually still quite interested to see where Povetkin goes from here. In order to ensure an undefeated record going into his fight against Klitschko he had avoided a lot of the top second tier fighters in the division. I would definitely enjoy seeing him go up against Tony Thompson, David Haye, Tomasz Adamek, et al. It will be interesting to see what his post-Wlad career looks like.

Tom_Cody

Is anyone excited for the PPV this weekend?

I like the match-up on paper but IMO there are significant questions surrounding each fighter.

Marquez:
+Just KTFO Pacquiao
+Has only lost to Floyd and Pac in the last 14 years (the Chris John loss is highly questionable)
+-Underrated inside boxing skill. I don't think it's a given that Marquez will have an enormous technical advantage.
-+Probably on some type of PED regimen
-Totally dominated in his loss to Floyd
-Has only fought 4 times north of 135, never at 147 (though it's not like Bradley is a huge welterweight anyway). Outside of the Pacquiao fights he has few noteworthy wins above 130.

Bradley
+A naturally much bigger fighter (though Marquez is actually slightly taller)
+Capable of very a high punch output that could trouble 40 year old Marquez
-Badly concussed in his last fight
-One would think that Marquez would be able to find a home for his right hand just as easily as Provodnikov did

Is anyone excited for the PPV this weekend?

I like the match-up on paper but IMO there are significant questions surrounding each fighter.

Marquez:
+Just KTFO Pacquiao
+Has only lost to Floyd and Pac in the last 14 years (the Chris John loss is highly questionable)
+-Underrated inside boxing skill. I don't think it's a given that Marquez will have an enormous technical advantage.
-+Probably on some type of PED regimen
-Totally dominated in his loss to Floyd
-Has only fought 4 times north of 135, never at 147 (though it's not like Bradley is a huge welterweight anyway). Outside of the Pacquiao fights he has few noteworthy wins above 130.

Bradley
+A naturally much bigger fighter (though Marquez is actually slightly taller)
+Capable of very a high punch output that could trouble 40 year old Marquez
-Badly concussed in his last fight
-One would think that Marquez would be able to find a home for his right hand just as easily as Provodnikov did

I dislike them both, in my dream case scenario the fight would end by simultaneous K.O.

I can understand disliking Bradley, but why Marquez? He has the (finger to temple) muy intellihentsia.

I'm gonna get attacked by my reasoning for disliking him... but in a nutshell?, because he refuses to give Pacquiao a re-match, Pac gave him the rematch each time he asked for them, and now that he is asking for him to return the favor he won't?, that smells like poor sportsmanship to me (with a hint of cowardliness as well)

jimbor

Banned
I'm gonna get attacked by my reasoning for disliking him... but in a nutshell?, because he refuses to give Pacquiao a re-match, Pac gave him the rematch each time he asked for them, and now that he is asking for him to return the favor he won't?, that smells like poor sportsmanship to me (with a hint of cowardliness as well)

The main reason the rematches happened was because Marquez kept getting jobbed on the cards. Marquez finally took it out of the judges hands so no need to fight Pac again.

I'm looking forward to the fight, I think it's Marquez's to lose.

The main reason the rematches happened was because Marquez kept getting jobbed on the cards. Marquez finally took it out of the judges hands so no need to fight Pac again.

I'm looking forward to the fight, I think it's Marquez's to lose.

If that's the case (not saying it isn't), Pacquiao was the better man because he agreed to fight him again several times, had the roles been reversed i think there would've only been one fight between them.

Heel

If that's the case (not saying it isn't), Pacquiao was the better man because he agreed to fight him again several times, had the roles been reversed i think there would've only been one fight between them.

You say that as if JMM has never given a rematch after a win. Very understandable why he'd consider the 4th fight, a definitive win, the last chapter. You could make an argument that he won all 4 fights.

jimbor

Banned
I never rated him myself. His most notable victory (Vitali) was due to a cut, having been down on all three score cards. He beat an ageing Tyson and Holyfield.

A cut win is a cut win, it's no different to somebody having a weak chin and getting KOed. Vitali may have been up on the cards but it was a give and take fight. Add to that Lennox took him on at two weeks notice (Vitali had been training for and studying Lennox his whole career) makes it a good win for a hugely overweight and old Lennox. Vitali still couldn't beat him. I don't think it was Lewis' most notable win. If lewis was so bad. why did so many heavyweights at the time do their best to avoid him? Bowe and Tyson in particular.

Not sure how much Pac had to do with it seeing as Arum pulls the strings. They thought he was damaged goods and getting on a bit after Mayweather anyway.

You say that as if JMM has never given a rematch after a win. Very understandable why he'd consider the 4th fight, a definitive win, the last chapter. You could make an argument that he won all 4 fights.

To my knowledge he's only given one. To Diaz... who he also knocked out the first time. Seems to strengthen the idea that Marquez doesn't want to lose again. Whether that's because he thinks Pacquiao is better or he's worried about judges would be the real question.

In any case, every fight except for the last one was close so the argument some make about him being shafted in judging is silly. Close fights go either way and it's never a robbery in those cases.

jimbor

Banned
To my knowledge he's only given one. To Diaz... who he also knocked out the first time. Seems to strengthen the idea that Marquez doesn't want to lose again. Whether that's because he thinks Pacquiao is better or he's worried about judges would be the real question.

In any case, every fight except for the last one was close so the argument some make about him being shafted in judging is silly. Close fights go either way and it's never a robbery in those cases.

The first one was close form what I remember but the rest are only close if you don't know how to score a fight. AT least that's my opinion not having seen them for a while.

Current line-up for the WBC world cup, heavyweight division:
http://wbcboxing.com/worldcup/index.php/boton2/heavyweight

Not exactly mindblowing.

Edit:
18.10.13 Carlos Takam vs Odlanier Solis
01.11.13 Juan Carlos Gomez vs Eric Molina
06.12.13 Sam Sexton vs Alexander Dimitrenko
13.12.13 Yazmany Consuegra vs TBA

Um. What is this? It can't be to find a #1 contender, as they have one and he can't seem to get a fight....

kinggroin

Banned
They wanna put him up against Sergio "La Maravilla" Martinez, but the public prefers Saul "Canelo" Alvarez as his next opponent... so who knows who it'll end up being.

Before his fight with Mayweather, I would have liked Canelo and Cotto. But having no idea which Canelo will show up, I'd rather the gaurantee good fight with Martinez,

Top Bottom