• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Boxing Discussion

Tom_Cody

Great fight and an important fight for the division. Alvarado is still a top 10 fighter between 140 and 147 (though he is one fight away from losing this status) but Provodnikov has now gained some level of star power. He is now a viable opponent for any of the top fighters in those two weight classes. PPV or otherwise.

As frustrating as the war between Goldenboy and Top Rank can be, with this win Top Rank now actually has a decent stable of guys that can fight each other for the next 1-2 years.

Now we just need to wait for the result of Pac-Rios.

Tom_Cody

I'm more excited about the Gatti/Ward documentary than the fight that night.
For what it's worth I ended up not enjoying the Gatti-Ward Legendary Nights very much. I've seen those fights a few times but, for whatever reason, the clips in this documentary were kind of the last straw in my full acceptance that both of them were just horrific technically. There were so many clips of Gatti with his hands down taking flush shots to the head. Like, no defense what-so-ever.

I guess this is an age old debate, boxing as chess vs. boxing as brutal uncivilized combat. I like a slugfest as much as anyone but it's just kind of weird to see fights like this be so celebrated. Should fights like this really rise above the status of guilty pleasure?

There is room for a some blending between the two. The Marquez-Pac fights, the Vasquez-Marquez fights, and the Barrera-Morales fights were all action packed but they were also between the top fighters in their respective divisions when they were fought. Technical skill plus brutal violence. Even Corrales and Castillo were the undisputed top guys at 135 when they fought their all time war. Gatti and Ward were in the lower part of the top 20 at 140 (at best) when they had their fights. Gatti leveraged his 2/3 wins in their trilogy into getting obliterated by Mayweather and eventually got retired by Alfonso Gomez. Christ.

/sourpuss

Tom_Cody

Frankie Leal passed away after this KO on Saturday:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMukAlJFhkQ&feature=youtube_gdata_player

It's hard to watch when he gets knocked out for the last time; he initially comes to but then collapses during the standing count. Eyes glaze over and they have to stretcher him out, eventually slips into a coma.

RIP.
Ugh. Why did I just watch that. I've seen a few fighters where fights have been permanently injured or killed. It's so unsettling.

RIP

rinse82

He was brutally KO'ed in March of 2012 and had to be stretchered away in that fight.

Came back and this fight was his SIXTH this year. Went 3-2 in those previous 5 fights.

Tom_Cody

Is anyone excited about the Hopkins fight tomorrow night? I can't say that I really care about the main event but the undercard looks decent. Quillin-Rosado should be a good scrap.

Tom_Cody

Wilder says he's ready for the Klitschkos, that he wants to fight for a championship next year and that a fight with Tyson Fury will happen soon.

Yeah, right.
I don't know why people are so rough on Wilder. He fought six times in 2012 and he will have fought four times in 2013. In that stretch he has fought 3 world title challengers (with Liakhovich actually having held a belt) and 2 undefeated fighters. He is doing exactly what a developing fighter should do and he's knocking everyone out along the way and that's against increasingly better competition. Yes, I would prefer that he start to get in there with guys in the top 5 (or top 10 for that matter) but it looks like he is on that path.

My guess is that he wants to develop into a guy that Showtime will pay to headline fights before he starts making a run at that next tier. That will better help build a narrative leading into a showdown with Wlad and it will certainly make him more money as well.

Tom_Cody

He needs some solid opponents first. If you put him, a guy that's fought pretty much only cans or has-beens, up against Wladimir he's doomed. When you've had 29 fights and your 30th is Nicolai Firtha you don't get to spout stuff like that.

Yes, Liakhovich is his (by far) biggest name on the list. No idea what his current standing is, but he hardly fought much since 2006, not sure how much a win against him still counts. Let him beat some "big" name, let him fight Thompson (as Pulev did), then we can see. Right now there's no reason Klitschko would give him a title match. Too risky, not enough money or hype.
I think I did a poor job of responding to what you actually said in your original post.

I completely agree that he isn't ready for a Klitschko, but I'm also not overly offended that he said what he did. Fighters always mention the top fighters in their divisions to try to inflate themselves.

Regarding Fury though, I don't see why that is a strange thing for him to say. That's exactly the sort of fight he's looking for right now. I wouldn't be surprised at all if he were to fight him in 2014.

Wilder was getting a lot of crap for his opponents, and rightfully so. The fight against Liakhovich was supposed to be the start of FINALLY stepping up his competition. Sergi is pretty shot but was expected to at least make him work. He KOd him in spectacular fashion, people start getting excited, annnnndddd we're right back to Boxcar Willie again. I can think of 15 people off the top of my head he could have fought instead. If he wants to be Butterbean 2099, go nuts, but don't act like your ass is ready for Wlad or Vitali.

IrishNinja

REPTILE ENTERS THE STAGE

and yeah bummer about that last call...onto this though, b-hop gon murder this bum

Garcia and his dad is all an act. His dad says crazy/offensive shit to hype fights and Danny can shrug and play nice guy.

dude's a great heel, reminds me of drunk old cuban dudes out here and makes you wanna smack 'im

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I have never seen such a weird fight. I don't know wtf is happening.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
That was a horrible fight. Hopkins antics were to try and make this more interesting. No way in hell does this guy even have a slight chance against Mayweather. He's throwing his name out there just to hype himself up, no way this fight will happen.

Only one who had a chance against Mayweather I think was Ortiz, and it ended too soon. Would like a rematch.

Tom_Cody

Bhop = master troll
I have never seen such a weird fight. I don't know wtf is happening.
Seriously. There were so many bizarre moments. I'm not really sure what to take away from it. I guess it at least ended up having more action than I expected.

Decent undercard fights.

Wilder is super raw but his power is for real. It's a shame that he lives and trains in Alabama. I would put a lot more belief in his future is he fought around other talented fighters that he could learn from. Oh well, he has a lot to offer (on paper at least). I don't see him being a future undisputed champion but it will be fun to watch his career arc. Furtha is 6' 6' and Wilder was still largely successful at landing his power shots from the outside. Most of the top non-Klitchko guys are ~6'2". I think he will have a decent run at the next teir of heavyweight. I will definitely be waiting to hear about his next match-up.

Quillin-Rosado ended up being a decent scrap as expected. It's a shame that it was stopped for the cut when it was. While the cut was horrific, I would have given Rosado another round at least. I hope there is a rematch. I don't disagree with scorecards as much as some. The Showtime announcers seemed to give Rosado too much credit for his body language. Even though he looked confident and was walking-down Quillin, it was Quillin who was landing the more consistent and impactful power punches. The cut didn't occur in a vacuum. To reiterate, good fight and I would like to see a rematch but I think that Quillin deserves to be recognized as the clear victor.

Tom_Cody

Sanity prevails. Maidana-Broner is now off-PPV. A questionable PPV has now become a must-see Showtime Championship boxing.

http://espn.go.com/boxing/story/_/i...d-san-antonio-part-late-year-schedule-changes

In general I'm very pleased with the fights on these two announced cards.

December 7th:

Zab Judah vs. Paulie Malignaggi
Devon Alexander vs. Shawn Porter
Austin Trout vs. Erislandy Lara
Sakio Bika vs. Anthony Dirrell

December 14th:

Adrien Broner vs. Marcos Maidana
Leo Santa Cruz vs. Cesar Seda
Keith Thurman vs. Jesus Soto Karass
Beibut Shumenov vs. Tamas Kovacs
Victor Ortiz vs. Alfonso Gomez

muddream

Banned
Showtime had Firtha at 6'4.5", there's no way Wilder only had 1 inch of height on him. Wilder's a great frontrunner, but he's too green to deal with the Klitschkos, Haye or Povetkin. His chicken legs make it hard for him to get out of range when he's not the one being aggressive. He's basically the version of Wlad that kept getting knocked down/out, except he's wisely sticking to cab drivers and tomato cans.

Tom_Cody

Showtime had Firtha at 6'4.5", there's no way Wilder only had 1 inch of height on him. Wilder's a great frontrunner, but he's too green to deal with the Klitschkos, Haye or Povetkin. His chicken legs make it hard for him to get out of range when he's not the one being aggressive. He's basically the version of Wlad that kept getting knocked down/out, except he's wisely sticking to cab drivers and tomato cans.
I was just going off Boxrec's listing but I agree that Wilder had more than 1 inch on him.
http://boxrec.com/list_bouts.php?human_id=270255&cat=boxer

It's always hard to sort out the truth of these numbers.

Edit: Apparently this is Schaefer's plan for Wilder:

"Golden Boy Promotions CEO Richard Schaefer told the media that Wilder, who is rated No. 3 in the WBC, is taking aim at the green belt, which he believes will be vacated by Vitali Klitschko (who recently announced that he’ll run for president in Ukraine). So, Schaefer would like to pit Wilder vs. Arreola (the WBC’s No. 2) or Stiverne (No. 1) or the winner of Stiverne-Arreola, which means it won’t be long until we see the “Bronze Bomber” in the ring with a real threat."
http://ringtv.craveonline.com/blog/181611-dougies-monday-mailbag

That sounds good to me.

--

I just checked out some of the HW rankings and I couldn't help but laugh at how how similar Wilder's current situation is to where Seth Mitchell was 2 years ago. He had run the train on 3rd tier opposition and eventually stepped up and secured solid victories against Timur Ibragimov and Chazz Witherspoon. He then got derailed in a shocking KO loss to Johnathon Banks and then a 1st round KO against Chris Arreola. It's hard not to see the similarity especially since it looks very possible that Wilder will be put in with Arreola.

HiResDes

Sanity prevails. Maidana-Broner is now off-PPV. A questionable PPV has now become a must-see Showtime Championship boxing.

http://espn.go.com/boxing/story/_/i...d-san-antonio-part-late-year-schedule-changes

In general I'm very pleased with the fights on these two announced cards.

December 7th:

Zab Judah vs. Paulie Malignaggi
Devon Alexander vs. Shawn Porter
Austin Trout vs. Erislandy Lara
Sakio Bika vs. Anthony Dirrell

December 14th:

Adrien Broner vs. Marcos Maidana
Leo Santa Cruz vs. Cesar Seda
Keith Thurman vs. Jesus Soto Karass
Beibut Shumenov vs. Tamas Kovacs
Victor Ortiz vs. Alfonso Gomez

Broner is from my hometown and I've had the pleasure of watching him fight in person...His skill set is eerily close to Mayweather's with crafty footwork and extremely quick handspeed. I don't see anyone beating him in his class for a long time.

SUPREME1

Banned
Broner is from my hometown and I've had the pleasure of watching him fight in person...His skill set is eerily close to Mayweather's with crafty footwork and extremely quick handspeed. I don't see anyone beating him in his class for a long time.

Malignaggi beat him.

No KO, so you go to the cards and rely on points.

Thus Paulie won.

Fuck the politics.

Tom_Cody

Malignaggi beat him.

No KO, so you go to the cards and rely on points.

Thus Paulie won.

Fuck the politics.
Really? I didn't know there was a belief floating out there that Malignaggi had won. I thought it was pretty clear cut and the boxing press certainly responded that way.

It was close Pauli definitely landed more, but Broner may have had more "power" shots. Cano beat Pauli tho real talk
Broner actually landed more; 246 to 214.
http://compuboxonline.com/compubox-stats-broner-w-12-malignaggi/

I definitely agree that Broner lander more power shots.

Tom_Cody

I would be more confidant if he hadn't jumped two weight classes at once. He was obliterating guys at 135 and he certainly didn't walk through Paulie.

That said, while he wasn't able to really hurt Malignaggi in their fight, I feel that this was mostly due to Malignaggi's boxing skills. He was largely able to diffuse Broner's offence with his jab and his movement.

The Maidana fight should be very different. On one hand, his brawling style is tailor made for Broner. But on the other hand, Maidana is physical beast and this will be a true test to see how well Broner will have adjusted in his move up to Welterweight. Maidana is the type of fighter that is usually avoided. I really can't wait to see what happens.

jchap

Great fight, although I don't know where either of these guys go from here. I just want to see them fight each other again.

Top Bottom